What New Words That You Have Learnt Since Joining Tv?

David48

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummm ... some explainations needed!

"Newco" ... meaning "Radical plans for the biggest shake-up of Scottish football in 14 years will be placed before SFL clubs on Friday - in a desperate bid to persuade them to vote newco Rangers into the First Division"

"chang mae man" ... I don't know where to start with that? Chiang Mai Man maybe ... so it was a case of spell checking? or fat finger typing?

But "Doing a maigot" did stump, not only me, but Google also.

Somehow that search did point me back to a 4 year TV thread ??

I did search the database here and the only result was your referance.

Do tell us more ... biggrin.png

maginot perhaps in honour of the maginot line http://en.wikipedia....ki/Maginot_Line?

Best explaination that I've seen yet!

Understanding history is a wonderful thing, lest you be doomed to repeat it.

Bar girl = prostitute

The meaning of the above was quite obvious to me but it took me a while to comprehend that saying you "met her in a bar" is a polite way to say she is (or was) a prostitute.

In the UK, many normal (non sex-worker) couples meet in a pub / bar so the terminology on this forum is confusing. I often wonder if the poster means he met her in a bar, or "met her in a bar".

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

BiB and TiT

I found both of these very difficult to understand and had to search back through old topics to assess the context and therefore the meaning.

Bar girl = prostitute

The meaning of the above was quite obvious to me but it took me a while to comprehend that saying you "met her in a bar" is a polite way to say she is (or was) a prostitute.

In the UK, many normal (non sex-worker) couples meet in a pub / bar so the terminology on this forum is confusing. I often wonder if the poster means he met her in a bar, or "met her in a bar".

That is a sweeping generalisation.

Edit: OK got it. I arranged to meet her in a bar. :D

Edited by smokie36

Yaba

I am still not totally sure what this is, although I have figured out (I think) that it is an addictive drug.

I asked my girl about that a few months ago.

'Yaba' apparently is 2 words meaning 'bad drug' ... or 'drug bad' ... not sure which one.

Samsiam taught me one which I won't repeat. laugh.png

Tutsi tought me another (I'll get you back for that one day tutsi!)

And I've learnt to post now as though my mother is peering over my shoulder. biggrin.png

Yes ... Samsiam taught a few of us that word and the mental image haunts me still ... w00t.gif and bah.gif concurrently.

And is that posting like your mother or mother-in-law was 'peering over my shoulder' ... ermm.gif

Samsiam taught me one which I won't repeat. laugh.png

Tutsi tought me another (I'll get you back for that one day tutsi!)

And I've learnt to post now as though my mother is peering over my shoulder. biggrin.png

Yes ... Samsiam taught a few of us that word and the mental image haunts me still ... w00t.gif and bah.gif concurrently.

And is that posting like your mother or mother-in-law was 'peering over my shoulder' ... ermm.gif

Are you trying to get me in trouble David? biggrin.png

I'm never using that word again...it makes me shudder to think of its true meaning...laugh.png

Edit: I don't have a mother in law....perish the thought....blink.png

Further Edit: Hang on though...can this mother in law cook? tongue.png

Edited by smokie36

Yaba

I am still not totally sure what this is, although I have figured out (I think) that it is an addictive drug.

I asked my girl about that a few months ago.

'Yaba' apparently is 2 words meaning 'bad drug' ... or 'drug bad' ... not sure which one.

Ya (drug medicine) Ba (Crazy)

their was a time when you heard Ya (medicine) Ma (horse) but that was early doors.

• Like 1

BiB and TiT to begin with but many posters asked about these and where explained

LOL and 55555 had no idea, likewise someone posted ST8, had to Google it to find out all of them...

Guess younger members LOL about all of these..... someone sent me a text message a while ago, simply no idea what all the things mean't

TW, TGF, GF, BF, sin sod, marmite, mia noi, vegemite, WP, Farang, Farong, Farung, Falang, Farlang, Furang, Forong, Furung, Fulang, Fulung, Furlang, MIL, som na na, chok dee, bum gun, usufruct, userfruck, soi dog, whinger... to name only a few.

• Like 2

TW, TGF, GF, BF, sin sod, marmite, mia noi, vegemite, WP, Farang, Farong, Farung, Falang, Farlang, Furang, Forong, Furung, Fulang, Fulung, Furlang, MIL, som na na, chok dee, bum gun, usufruct, userfruck, soi dog, whinger... to name only a few.

in another thread i learnt

jakep -- centipede

toktaw- large gecko

Jingjook-- small gecko

Hummm ... some explainations needed!

"Newco" ... meaning "Radical plans for the biggest shake-up of Scottish football in 14 years will be placed before SFL clubs on Friday - in a desperate bid to persuade them to vote newco Rangers into the First Division"

"chang mae man" ... I don't know where to start with that? Chiang Mai Man maybe ... so it was a case of spell checking? or fat finger typing?

But "Doing a maigot" did stump, not only me, but Google also.

Somehow that search did point me back to a 4 year TV thread ??

I did search the database here and the only result was your referance.

Do tell us more ... biggrin.png

Wasn't maigot one of the early apologists?

Haven't seen him for a while.

Banned or moved on?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by edwinchester

peregrination.

It was one of Villagefarang's...

I had to look up rectitude, prior to its use in a PM.

At the same time, I also had to check my football history.

THis interweb thingie is just marvellous, and so credible, too...

Or maybe I'm just unusually gullible

Ah'lltakmachance; d'yewannaebuyarolex?

SC

utfse

I had to look this one (and others) up.

So, for those of the same experience as me ...

UTFSE = Use The F******** Search Engine

Gik (also spelt as Gig and Kik) ... could be described as a 'casual approach to relationships'.

Perhaps, the biggest confusion is the difference between a gik and a mistress, or other types of extra marital affairs.

Also, a gik is meant to be more casual affair, where both parties understand the limits or dynamics of the relationship clearly.

(From the net)

So, for the above GIYF ... Google Is Your Friend

Special mention to Naam for all the different ways to write Farang

utfse

I had to look this one (and others) up.

So, for those of the same experience as me ...

UTFSE = Use The F******** Search Engine

Gik (also spelt as Gig and Kik) ... could be described as a 'casual approach to relationships'.

Perhaps, the biggest confusion is the difference between a gik and a mistress, or other types of extra marital affairs.

Also, a gik is meant to be more casual affair, where both parties understand the limits or dynamics of the relationship clearly.

(From the net)

So, for the above GIYF ... Google Is Your Friend

Special mention to Naam for all the different ways to write Farang

Gig can have a wholly different meaning to teenagers