Samui Soi Dogs

I was bitten by a dog last year and the post-exposure rabies vac cost me 10,000 baht (4 lots of 2500 baht each).

I'm sure rabies deaths are rare but I don't want to be the first!

Bangkok hospital???

Bandon charges 800/shot.

Yes but to say 10000 for rabies jabs sounds so much more dramatic!

3200 for rabies shots at Bandon, don't get the same drama.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the care of dogs has got a lot better in Thailand over the last few years... and not every dog infested... I even know Thai's who wash their dogs and cats to prevent flea and tick problems. Painting everyone with the same brush .... again....rolleyes.gif

You can wash your dog twice a day if you like, as soon as it dries it will have ticks again. That's just the way it is here.

Where on earth do you get your info from? Not based on any experience for sure. methinks you are trolling.

From my friends who own dogs.

3200 for rabies shots at Bandon, don't get the same drama.

I was already bitten so I needed 4 shots of the vaccine. (post-exposure prophylaxis) That said, I'm pretty sure the doctor I went to was taking the piss (doctor with the white beard who had his surgery under the Weekender in Lamai.

Samui Inter charges 700 baht per rabies shot required (if treatment sought after 4 hrs of bite then 5 shots needed over 1 month period) and thy charge 350 baht for the tetanus. Most insurance policies, even the simple ones will cover all expenses under accident cover.

I quit jogging on the sois after getting attacked, but not bitten, by 3 dogs during a half hour jog. One of them scared the living hell out of me. Now I jog on the beach. No problem.

I agree, the care of dogs has got a lot better in Thailand over the last few years... and not every dog infested... I even know Thai's who wash their dogs and cats to prevent flea and tick problems. Painting everyone with the same brush .... again....rolleyes.gif

You can wash your dog twice a day if you like, as soon as it dries it will have ticks again. That's just the way it is here.

Where on earth do you get your info from? Not based on any experience for sure. methinks you are trolling.

I presume you are not directing that comment to me??

Here we go again!

Exactly how many people have died of Rabies on this Island?

The poor bloody creatures have a hard enough existence here as it is and many people here need little or no excuse to increase their misery.

I think that scaremongering doesn't help one bit and only a teeny bit of commonsense is needed

if it is felt necessary to approach a stray dog. All the years I have lived here i have never seen

a rabid dog. Although in all fairness I don't go looking for them but I do make contact by feeding the starving ones hanging around 7/!!.

It might be worth remembering the massacre that took place on K. Phangan a few years ago when

the authorities poisoned ALL the dogs, even those which were weaning. and those ones who belonged to residents. They did the same on Chong Mon and many of the beach characters were cruelly put to death.

The Samui Dog Rescue are to be thanked for taking on the responsibility to try and care for these these unfortunate creatures.

I'm a regular runner around the Choengmon are and most days I'm harassed by dogs. I've been bitten once and got a few close shaves and have other friends who have been bitten (also on beaches).

The problems starts here, the moment you get bitten nobody feels responsible fr the dog and you're on your own to foot the bill for rabies shots. Mine were around 2,500.-THB.

Now I carry sticks an stones near places where dogs are aggressive and I kicked of few already. As a kid I was a dog lover, over the years unfortunately I come to resent dogs, well before I came to live on Samui.

Now this is about being bitten by dogs, same problem occurs when they run into the road, chasing each other and you get knocked off you bike, nobody all of a sudden knows the dog involved and you can foot your own bill.

For me, if a dog is not on a leash they better take care. I'm fed up with them. I don't mind hitting, kicking or throwing stuff at them, so they can't get near me.

• Like 2

Witnessed some indian staff in a restaurant beating up some dogs with sticks and didnt like what we saw so we left immidiatly without finishing meal,drinks.

Never going to visit that place again.

Off course i realize that loose dogs can cause problems, but so far all the ones we meet at beach has not been agressive, but did however see some incidents on the roads that could have resulted in people getting hurt.

Yesterday two dogs chased eachother out on the street and was close to run out into two people on scooters but nothing happened thank god.

The other day we saw a thai woman with a huge dog that looked like a rottweiler on a leash,and it almost dragged her out in the busy traffic whilst trying to get to a soi dog on the other side of the road. Good thing she was one of the thais with a few kilos on the side or else i can imagine what could have happened.

Would be nice if all the dogs on loose could get adopted by families on the island, but i realize that is wishful thinking.

Cant do much about it here as a tourist, but can atleast donate some money to the shelter.

Have a safe day everyone.

I presume you are not directing that comment to me??

Perish the thought! not at all

Now I jog on the beach. No problem.

Running on the sand might be deleterious too:

Although they offer softer surfaces, running on sand or grass may actually increase the risk of injuries in runners. Although softer than pavement, sports medicine experts report more sprains, strains and even tendonitis from running on uneven and inconsistent surfaces like the beach or grass. Because each step creates varying pressures and forces in the feet, ankles, knees and hips runners most constantly adjust to the surface. Not everyone has the skill or ability to do that easily.

These natural surfaces also tend to slope, and this also creates a dangerous off-center force on the ankles and feet. Over time, running on uneven surfaces can result in tendinitis, inflammation of joints and tendons and even fractures.

-- Sports Medicine dot com.

Here we go again!

Exactly how many people have died of Rabies on this Island?

The poor bloody creatures have a hard enough existence here as it is and many people here need little or no excuse to increase their misery.

I think that scaremongering doesn't help one bit and only a teeny bit of commonsense is needed

if it is felt necessary to approach a stray dog. All the years I have lived here i have never seen

a rabid dog. Although in all fairness I don't go looking for them but I do make contact by feeding the starving ones hanging around 7/!!.

It might be worth remembering the massacre that took place on K. Phangan a few years ago when

the authorities poisoned ALL the dogs, even those which were weaning. and those ones who belonged to residents. They did the same on Chong Mon and many of the beach characters were cruelly put to death.

The Samui Dog Rescue are to be thanked for taking on the responsibility to try and care for these these unfortunate creatures.

I'm a regular runner around the Choengmon are and most days I'm harassed by dogs. I've been bitten once and got a few close shaves and have other friends who have been bitten (also on beaches).

The problems starts here, the moment you get bitten nobody feels responsible fr the dog and you're on your own to foot the bill for rabies shots. Mine were around 2,500.-THB.

Now I carry sticks an stones near places where dogs are aggressive and I kicked of few already. As a kid I was a dog lover, over the years unfortunately I come to resent dogs, well before I came to live on Samui.

Now this is about being bitten by dogs, same problem occurs when they run into the road, chasing each other and you get knocked off you bike, nobody all of a sudden knows the dog involved and you can foot your own bill.

For me, if a dog is not on a leash they better take care. I'm fed up with them. I don't mind hitting, kicking or throwing stuff at them, so they can't get near me.

I walk with a crutch so always have a stick at hand. 2, perhaps 3 dogs I feel I can manage but as the number grows my crutch seems to get smaller and smaller. Most of the mutts in my out of the way area I would have to problem considering semi feral at best. However, if one spits the dummy when I walk past during the day then a house owner will generally call the dog and it will return to its place of slumber, this suggests partial ownership or responsibility. Once darkness has fallen this goes out the window and the dogs are left to reign the streets until daylight. As little as 5 years ago I would not have had an issue walking into town after dark but now I wouldn't even consider it.

0.22 in

Now I jog on the beach. No problem.

Running on the sand might be deleterious too:

Although they offer softer surfaces, running on sand or grass may actually increase the risk of injuries in runners. Although softer than pavement, sports medicine experts report more sprains, strains and even tendonitis from running on uneven and inconsistent surfaces like the beach or grass. Because each step creates varying pressures and forces in the feet, ankles, knees and hips runners most constantly adjust to the surface. Not everyone has the skill or ability to do that easily.

These natural surfaces also tend to slope, and this also creates a dangerous off-center force on the ankles and feet. Over time, running on uneven surfaces can result in tendinitis, inflammation of joints and tendons and even fractures.

-- Sports Medicine dot com.

Thank you for the quote. However, it feels like a free foot massage in addition to the exercise if done in moderation.

Phew!!!!....., glad to see it was not me trolling! Thanks Spindle!

When I got to one of my local restaurants last night, the owners had just brought back their dog from the vet opposite Big C .... it cost them 340 baht to have the shot done for ticks etc .... so it shows that the statement made, and I don't need to refer to it, that some Thai's do try to take care of their animals ....

It must be coming time to make the "Dumbest statements" of the year award..... there is no doubt in my mind who this year's winner would be... whistling.gif

As a kid I was a dog lover, over the years unfortunately I come to resent dogs, well before I came to live on Samui.
That's a shame if true. Street dogs/feral animals are nothing like what would be called normal, cared-for dogs.

you can still feed them without causing yourself bother

My problem with cats is that they are animals that are only marginally responsive. Unless you have some food or enticement, many cats will not come when called. Cats are not obedient and cannot (in the main) to do basic commands like sit or stay. They cannot be walked on a leash and certainly will not accompany you on a stroll along the beach (or anywhere). Cats are not easy to clean (and let's put aside the "cats lick themselves clean" misnomer). Cats can damage or destroy furniture with their clawing. Cats cannot protect you; there are no guard cats or police cats looking for drugs or bombs. Cat urine is offensively pungent and many cats live indoors and defecate in the house in a box.

Cats are good for invalids and people who do not get around much (or easily). Outdoor cats are good for those who do not need a pet that is always accessible since roaming cats can disappear for hours, or days at a time, showing back up out of the blue or in some cases, never returning.

For me, I prefer the mobile companionship of a dog ("Come on, let's go take a walk," or "Let's go fishing.") and the dog happily comes along. (I am not an expert on this, but I have heard that cats traveling in cars can be a harrowing experience if they are not in a cage [like a bird])

I also like the idea that a dog understands its identity, meaning when you (or a new person to the dog) calls it, it comes and is happy (generally) to greet you. It's rare to see a cat come when someone calls it who it does not know (and even many times if it does know the caller it will decide to come or decide not to). Dogs are better for people who are active and enjoy interaction with their pets beyond purring, nuzzling, and watching it play with a piece of string, eg. fetching (playing Frisbee even), going for a hike in the mountains, and generally being with you wherever you want to go. You can hang out with your dog anywhere; you just can't do that with a cat.

I think it's been established in studies that there are many, many feral cats in cities around Asia but they are not spoken of as much since they easily revert to a wild state, and part of that is stealth and keeping hidden. I don't see lots of feral cats on Samui other than the ones on (or around) the beach areas where I think they can find food easily. Some of the population of feral cats is kept in check by dogs.

However, I have not heard of anyone being attacked by a pack of feral cats (who are just as likely to have rabies as a stray dog), so I guess they have that going for them.

However, I have not heard of anyone being attacked by a pack of feral cats (who are just as likely to have rabies as a stray dog), so I guess they have that going for them.

I used to fight bushfires, attacked by feral cats on several occasions.

I used to fight bushfires, attacked by feral cats on several occasions.

I mean Samui cat attacks....but I have heard of people taking in cats from the street too late for the cats to revert (back?) to house cats and they (the cats) go ape shitte. That is one thing about stray dogs, they can usually be rehabilitated. A feral cat generally stays that way.

My problem with cats is that they are animals that are only marginally responsive. Unless you have some food or enticement, many cats will not come when called. Cats are not obedient and cannot (in the main) to do basic commands like sit or stay. They cannot be walked on a leash and certainly will not accompany you on a stroll along the beach (or anywhere). Cats are not easy to clean (and let's put aside the "cats lick themselves clean" misnomer). Cats can damage or destroy furniture with their clawing. Cats cannot protect you; there are no guard cats or police cats looking for drugs or bombs. Cat urine is offensively pungent and many cats live indoors and defecate in the house in a box.

Cats are good for invalids and people who do not get around much (or easily). Outdoor cats are good for those who do not need a pet that is always accessible since roaming cats can disappear for hours, or days at a time, showing back up out of the blue or in some cases, never returning.

For me, I prefer the mobile companionship of a dog ("Come on, let's go take a walk," or "Let's go fishing.") and the dog happily comes along. (I am not an expert on this, but I have heard that cats traveling in cars can be a harrowing experience if they are not in a cage [like a bird])

I also like the idea that a dog understands its identity, meaning when you (or a new person to the dog) calls it, it comes and is happy (generally) to greet you. It's rare to see a cat come when someone calls it who it does not know (and even many times if it does know the caller it will decide to come or decide not to). Dogs are better for people who are active and enjoy interaction with their pets beyond purring, nuzzling, and watching it play with a piece of string, eg. fetching (playing Frisbee even), going for a hike in the mountains, and generally being with you wherever you want to go. You can hang out with your dog anywhere; you just can't do that with a cat.

I think it's been established in studies that there are many, many feral cats in cities around Asia but they are not spoken of as much since they easily revert to a wild state, and part of that is stealth and keeping hidden. I don't see lots of feral cats on Samui other than the ones on (or around) the beach areas where I think they can find food easily. Some of the population of feral cats is kept in check by dogs.

Insert, you just mentioned all the reasons why I like cats, they're independent and if they don't want something they don't do it, this in total contrast to dogs, who you can learn stupid things, like giving a paw!

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

With a cat flap or open window you have an animal which is free. At the other end you have a bird in a cage. Ask even a 6 year old what a bird does and they will almost certainly say 'fly'

I love cats, but I cannot eat a whole one. licklips.gif

sorry.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gifofftopic.gif

and I thought that this thread was about dogs.passifier.gif

What more is there to say?

I define a soi dog as a dog without an owner or someone to take responsibility for it. It lives on the road, does not have a regular food source so scavenges. It is, or soon will be, in a state of disrepair which will result in desease and or infection setting in for the long (or short) haul. The autumn of its life will not be spent being taken care of to a greater and greater degree but will be spent slowing and painfully succumbing to an ailment which could often be cured quite cheaply. If it does manage to tiptoe through the minefield of desease and or infection, age will reduce its ability to fend for itself most likely resulting in death by starvation.

Whether by ignorance or choice, the people of Thailand for the most part do not want a dog who is suffering to be put out of its misery. Over time the situation becomes more acute due to growth in numbers and non-availability of food scraps. As the situation gets worse, the human frustration increases, the dogs get treated worse, start to become packs and become more and more like their wolf ancestors.

One could inform the TAT that it was hurting visitor numbers but no doubt they would pull figures out of their rusty sheriff's badge showing that tourism had increased due to the proclivity of farangs love for soi dogs. No dount also that the words 'hub' and 'crackdown' will be inserted somewhere along with some vague reference to said dogs being of yellow or red shirt persuation