Northern Murder Case Reopened

george

Northern murder case reopened

DNA breakthrough in the Kirsty Jones murder investigation

BANGKOK: -- The British press is reporting this morning that police in Chiang Rai have new DNA evidence, and have reopened their search for the murderer of British backpacker Kirsty Jones more than five years ago.

According to British sources quoted this morning on the web site of the Guardian, new DNA procedures have established the rapist and killer of the 23-year-old traveller is almost certainly a Southeast Asian man.

At the time she was killed, in August, 2000, police made a big show of questioning foreigners in and around the Aree Guesthouse in Chiang Mai. Even then, many familiar with the case believed the killer was more likely a Thai, possibly a policeman.

The case is thought to have gained fresh impetus since it was raised by Tony Blair during a meeting with Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last October, said the Guardian in a report written by its crime correspondent and apparently relying on British sources.

It quoted Detective Superintendent Steve Wilkins of Dyfed-Powys Police, Kirsty's hometown, who told the newspaper he was in close contact with Thai detectives last week, and said he had never felt more certain that Jones' killer might be brought to justice.

The Guardian report concluded this way:

The list of witnesses to be re-interviewed does not include Andrew Gill, the British co-owner of the guesthouse who was charged and later cleared of raping and conspiring to murder Kirsty. The DNA profile put together by Dyfed-Powys Police and Thai experts is based on skin and semen samples taken from the murder scene. Wilkins said: "The profile is of south east Asian origin."

--Bangkok Post 2006-01-15

• 4 years later...

An update on this topic from the BBC:

Thai murder victim's mother will 'never give up' fight

The mother of a backpacker murdered in an unsolved killing in Thailand 10 years ago says she will never give up her fight for justice.

Kirsty Jones, 23, from Tredomen, near Brecon, Powys, was raped and strangled at a guesthouse on 10 August, 2000.

Sue Jones says she will never give up the fight to see her daughter's murderer caught.

Dyfed-Powys Police recently questioned four Britons and a UK-based Thai national as a routine part of the inquiry, but they are not suspects.

Despite a number of arrests, no charges have ever been brought.

But Dyfed-Powys Police said there were lines of inquiry which still "needed to be resolved, and a number of people still of interest to detectives".

In recent weeks, five people who were in Chiang Mai, the city where she died, were interviewed by the Dyfed-Powys force. But they were not arrested and are not considered suspects.

This was a result of Dyfed-Powys Police having called on the Thai authorities to supply them with a letter of request, an official document, which enables British police to interview people on behalf of an overseas force.

Without the letter of request, the evidence would not be valid if the case came to court in Thailand.

The interviews will be passed to the Department of Special Investigations in Thailand, which has been reviewing the case since 2006.

Mrs Jones said securing the document was a "major breakthrough", but the interviews had not helped identify the killer.

Her daughter, a Liverpool University graduate, was found dead in a room at the Aree guest house in Chiang Mai, which is north of the country's capital, Bangkok.

She was three months into a two-year around-the-world trip when she was murdered on 10 August, 2000.

Dyfed-Powys Police later secured the killer's DNA, belonging to a man of south-east Asian origin, following a visit by two senior officers to the crime scene.

Sue Jones says she will never give up the fight to see her daughter's murderer caught

Mrs Jones said she was optimistic her daughter's murderer would be found.

She told BBC News: "I am always optimistic.

"It's a waiting game. It's been a long time, but we have the DNA and that's where the answer lies."

"I've never actually thought they wouldn't catch anyone, but I do get weary sometimes because it's such a long and slow process, but you can't give up. I'll never give up."

Ch Supt Steve Hughson has been involved in the case from the start, and along with his colleague Det Ch Supt Steve Wilkins, they have visited Thailand twice to help with the investigation.

The force's involvement in the inquiry started in September 2001 after the family became frustrated by the way the Thai police were handling the hunt for the killer.

"The 10th anniversary is a significant milestone," said Ch Supt Hughson.

'Confident'

"The focus is still actively on this case and that is testament to the concern we have shown to it, and the support we've given to the family.

"We recently received a letter of request from the Thai authorities to interview a number of UK-based witnesses, four British nationals and a Thai national, which is now complete.

"There were some points that needed clarification.

"We're in the process of analysing this and we'll then we'll send it to the Royal Thai Police."

Ch Supt Hughson said there were lines of inquiry which still "needed to be resolved, and a number of people still of interest to detectives".

He added that police had the killer's DNA and all they needed was a name.

He said: "I am confident that one day somebody will be caught for this. We're doing everything we can to make sure it (the case) comes to a successful conclusion, and we're making sure it's on the political agenda."

In 2007, Brecon and Radnorshire MP Roger Williams asked Tony Blair to meet the Jones family during prime minister's questions in the House of Commons, and Ch Supt Hughson said a brief about the case was given to every Foreign Office official who visited Thailand.

On Wednesday, the BBC News website will carry a longer interview with Sue Jones, Kirsty Jones's mother.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 10-08-2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10923881

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-10917101

An accompanying 5:00-long news video is on the above link

I'm puzzled by the OP. The paragraph

The case is thought to have gained fresh impetus since it was raised by Tony Blair during a meeting with Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last October, said the Guardian in a report written by its crime correspondent and apparently relying on British sources.

surely doesn't refer to last October. None were PM's anymore at that time.

The OP was posted 2006-01-15 10:52

• Like 1

The OP was posted 2006-01-15 10:52

Thanks, missed that one. I hate it when old OP's are revived :annoyed:

Sorry, it's why I prefaced it with:

After a review of the various threads on this widely-known and often-discussed topic revealed that this thread seemed the most on-topic with the update.

I'm also of the opinion that it's good to limit the number of new threads on long-standing issues, rather than a half dozen scattered about. Centralized discussion of the same topic saves from running thread to thread on the same topic and not having to repeat the same post in a number of threads that all center on the same thing. That applies particularly to brand new topics, but I also feel it applies to less current news as well.

Sorry, it's why I prefaced it with:

After a review of the various threads on this widely-known and often-discussed topic revealed that this thread seemed the most on-topic with the update.

I'm also of the opinion that it's good to limit the number of new threads on long-standing issues, rather than a half dozen scattered about. Centralized discussion of the same topic saves from running thread to thread on the same topic and not having to repeat the same post in a number of threads that all center on the same thing. That applies particularly to brand new topics, but I also feel it applies to less current news as well.

Thanks for the explanation and no need to apologize. I have to watch out, is all. I must admit I also rather have a lenghtier thread than several on the same topic. Makes discussion a bit easier to follow.

The Chiangmai police have always known who killed the girl, as it was one of their own members who used to hang around Tapae gate at night with his little gang.

He is a married man with a wife and children, and will never get caught as his friends are and will continue to cover for him.

Edited by Hawk

Thank you for that insight hawk

If you truely believe you know who killed this girl or an officer who does I think it would be in your duty to email this information to the consulate ( pm for a direct address ) or email the police station in the uk who will handle ure enquiry very promtply .. Its amazing what little info people have that can lead to a result and believe me there are bigger powers then this officer that will see him put away ..

If you truely believe you know who killed this girl or an officer who does I think it would be in your duty to email this information to the consulate ( pm for a direct address ) or email the police station in the uk who will handle ure enquiry very promtply .. Its amazing what little info people have that can lead to a result and believe me there are bigger powers then this officer that will see him put away ..

I have the funny feeling they know already, but are unable to do anything about it. Remember the Saudi jewelry case from God knows how many years ago? For many years Thai could no longer work in Saudi while some Thai knew who were involved.

Edited by rubl

Not to familier on that one , but in some cases there are some people who no certain things with vital clues that other don't , esp the police ... As it is all covered .. Sometimes the slightest clues , insights can lead to results .. I do not know hawk , his past or how he canned this info into the killer , but it could be vital ..

The uk cops will not be dealing with the low life bribed cops , but senior police who are paid well and have to act on this info and in a proper manner ( fully overseen by uk police at the embassey )

Just hope hawk at least tried to contact them with his ino , nothing lost to him

Yes I was asked questions about this case years ago by someone digging into it and I supplied them with all the information that I knew. They replied that what I had told them confirms a lot of what they already knew about the case but couldn't prove.

The cop who killed this girl was working as an undercover agent sniffing out drug dealers, robbers and such like, he used to live around Loi Kra road near the night bazaar, but has now completely vanished from Chiangmai. So it is reasonable to assume that he was transferred to some small town some place by his superiors as they did not want one of their own getting arrested for the murder. And no I don't know his real name, and neither do the people he dealt with on a daily basis, he was an undercover cop remember.

But one odd fact was that when he left Aree GH that night he still had her room key in his pocket, which he gave to someone I happen to know but when she heard about the murder, she quickly gave it to someone else to dispose off.

I don't know his name or even what he looks like, but many people that I have a nodding acquaintance with do, as he used to visit a few houses near where I used to stay, looking to buy yah bah, every few days or so.

As I have already said, the guy has left town for parts unknown, probably many years ago as people have not seen him for literally ages.

He was a very well known face to the local Thais, many people knew him but I did not know him as cops are not to my taste.

Edited by Hawk

Yes I was asked questions about this case years ago by someone digging into it and I supplied them with all the information that I knew. They replied that what I had told them confirms a lot of what they already knew about the case but couldn't prove.

The cop who killed this girl was working as an undercover agent sniffing out drug dealers, robbers and such like, he used to live around Loi Kra road near the night bazaar, but has now completely vanished from Chiangmai. So it is reasonable to assume that he was transferred to some small town some place by his superiors as they did not want one of their own getting arrested for the murder. And no I don't know his real name, and neither do the people he dealt with on a daily basis, he was an undercover cop remember.

But one odd fact was that when he left Aree GH that night he still had her room key in his pocket, which he gave to someone I happen to know but when she heard about the murder, she quickly gave it to someone else to dispose off.

Use of the word 'allegedly' is missing from this post.

Be careful now.

Use of the word 'allegedly' is missing from this post.

Be careful now.

Yes, I missed out that word simply because it is a well known fact, certainly amongst the local Thais, that the little guy is a very guilty man. Also, there were witnesses that saw him night and will not come forward as Thais are extremely reluctant to get involved with the fuzz and I really don't blame them after what I have seen a few of them do to their own people.

^ Still, no excuse for you to be banged up for espousing the commonly held belief of an allegedly reluctant and silent minority now is there? Possibly there are a couple of 'witnesses' who do know the truth and a couple of dozen more who subscribe to that theory. The latter would be reluctant to come forward since they are only following the herd on this. There is definitely one person who does know the truth but he's not likely to do the right thing. Not yet anyway.

The Chiangmai police have always known who killed the girl' date=' as it was one of their own members who used to hang around Tapae gate at night with his little gang.

He is a married man with a wife and children, and will never get caught as his friends are and will continue to cover for him.

[/quote']

If the real perpetrator does get cornered, he can simply say something like, "ok, the DNA test shows that was my semen at the scene, but hey, she's a farang. Farang women are always hot to trot. I obliged her, it was mutual passion. Then I left. I didn't kill her."

Seems to me that testimony has already been spouted in this case. The cops will take any soggy excuse to let one of their own off the hook, so they'll accept it, and go back to the things they do when they're not doing police work - which is 97% of the time.

If the police in England can actually persuade the cops in Bangkok to organize a reopening of the case, then it will simply end up going no where as did the last two attempts to catch the guy.

The emphasis will be on the word "if", because as far as the cops here are concerned its case "closed". You know the police could have claimed that she killed herself, perhaps they will say that next time if they are forced to reopen this case. "Oh! White girl unhappy, girl herself", case closed, now who owns us money today?

The perp has long gone from Chiangmai, so will never be called upon to answer questions.

While you may be right on many cases, the cops have never clained anything else but murder (or accidental murder at one dark point) for this one. So, I don't think that is an issue. In this case, it is pretty clear cut that it was not a suicide. Poor Kirsty, it was the tenth year of her death three days ago. RIP.

local/bar chat in chiang mai,

male sperm , was bought and brought

to the seen of the crime , and deposited.

p.s. safety first ,

deposit your used condoms into the WC.

you never know , where your DNA , could end up.

i hope kirsty jones mother is successsful , in her bid for justice .