PM Yingluck Demands Action To Ease Congestion At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

PM demands action to ease congestion at Suvarnabhumi

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday ordered agencies to expedite measures to alleviate the congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

After inspecting the problem-plagued Bangkok airport, Yingluck said a committee would be formed to follow up on immediate and long-range plans closely to ease the crowding, shorten delays and also to expand aircraft and passenger capacity.

Thailand should prepare a plan to strengthen competitiveness to serve the growing influx of visitors, she said.

Under the second phase of Airports of Thailand's master plan, the construction of a second passenger terminal should be completed within 70 months or before 2017, while a third runway will be added to smooth increasing air traffic in the future.

Suvarnabhumi Airport can handle only 55 flights per hour compared with its rated capacity of 76 flights because the western runway can by used for only 20 per cent of the total flights. The eastern runway, which is the main landing strip, is now being repaired. However, the repaired area is expected to be half-ready for flight operations by July 18 tomorrow and fully serviceable by the end of this month.

Transport Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said the prime minister had expressed concern about the limited capacity of the airport and urged agencies to solve the problem. The airport was designed to serve 52 million visitors per year but now the figure has reached 54 million.

Yingluck also instructed all parties to check flight times and airline routes to see if more flights could be squeezed in. "The flights are quite full now. We have to inform passengers in advance and learn from our problems to prepare plans," she said.

Agencies should accelerate the repair of Suvarnabhumi and prepare Don Mueang Airport as the second international gateway, the PM said.

Thailand should look beyond inbound and outbound tourists and focus on attracting visitors to its airports at major tourist destinations such as Phuket, which is already over-stretched, she added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-17

And I'm demanding that it stop raining now. However, I have no idea how I am going to accomplish it. Same situation as above, except I know eventually it will stop raining. As far as improving the conditions at Swampy....whistling.gif

looks to me like the construction of a 3rd runway should be the highest priority and this runway should be constructed properly as the current 2x runways are unreliable this would then allow for the proper repair or reconstruction of the current runways - a huge mess regardless

• Like 2

looks to me like the construction of a 3rd runway should be the highest priority and this runway should be constructed properly as the current 2x runways are unreliable this would then allow for the proper repair or reconstruction of the current runways - a huge mess regardless

Indeed, if you look at Google's satellite photo, you will see runway #3 West of the West runway, Does Y know it's there waiting for good quality black top?

• Like 1

Yingluck said a committee would be formed to follow up on immediate and long-range plans closely to ease the crowding

I wonder if Yingluck's committee will mention that Yingluck's brother caused most of the serious runway problems we are seeing today, with his nepotistic and corrupt carelessness and grand-larceny.

Not really, but don't let the facts get in your way.

Why don't you start with the principal contractors. Wonderful Italian-Thai consortium with 2 major japanese construction firms. Those contractors controlled the construction and the site inspection.They were responsible for quality assurance. ITD is a public company, so you can go and look up the major shareholders.

Do you realize that there is a quasi monopoly on cement in Thailand? I suggest you read up on who controled the primary cement suppliers for the runways.

I am always amazed when people mouth off on the subject, but don't make an effort to see who was involved. And here's a tip: Public criticism of one involved party would land you in jail.

• Like 2

Another committee....just another committee that will fade from memories after the announcement of its formation. In fact, I better finish this post before I forget about the committee.

When (if) the committee finishes its study and makes recommendations whoever is in power at that time will probably say, "Thanks, what am I suppose to do with the recommendations? We'll form another committee to study if and how the recommendations are to be implemented."

Yingluck said a committee would be formed to follow up on immediate and long-range plans closely to ease the crowding

I wonder if Yingluck's committee will mention that Yingluck's brother caused most of the serious runway problems we are seeing today, with his nepotistic and corrupt carelessness and grand-larceny.

Why don't you start with the principal contractors. Wonderful Italian-Thai consortium with 2 major japanese construction firms. Those contractors controlled the construction and the site inspection.They were responsible for quality assurance. ITD is a public company, so you can go and look up the major shareholders.

Do you realize that there is a quasi monopoly on cement in Thailand? I suggest you read up on who controled the primary cement suppliers for the runways.

I am always amazed when people mouth off on the subject, but don't make an effort to see who was involved. And here's a tip: Public criticism of one involved party would land you in jail.

I think you will find that the contractors didn't control the supply of materials. One of the suppliers had a large amount of special aggregate to bring in for the runway, but then found that an inferior supply had been provided with the money saved going into someone's pockets.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted nonsensical part of post.
  • Like 1

You know not of what you speak.

Plastering over the cracks of this bogbound airport is not the answer for the long term. Build a new one in a completely new location on solid ground and build it properly from day 1 with enough runways and passenger terminals et al. Try doing it without any fingers in the pie and see how much better it will be. After all; Bangkok will have sunk without trace in 50 years so why bother to try and save the airport?

You know not of what you speak.

Please elaborate.

I have an inkling that the company gk refers is known by an acronym consisting of 3 letters and sounds similar to a bank.

This company is owned by ... {hears elephant, but can't see it]

So, Cinderella plays possum again. The endless hypocrisy and corruption in this place is depressing.

I remember being told that samak, the recently deceased ex pm owned one of the cement companies used ( you're thinking of Siam cement I think), but the same person thought thaksin was directly responsible for the massacre at the mosque.

The congestion when I came through the other week, several hundred passengers queuing to enter Bangkok

Was deplorable.

3 pm and outside no-one queuing for taxis as I came through fast tracked.

Had the passport control been on a go slow or just as usual out to lunch?

Taxi touts everywhere. It really is a joke! I Thai on an escalator passing asked me if I want "taxi" laughing.

I can only assume that there must be an extra 'significant' pay bonus for an MP being on a committee. It seems committees are set up for anything and everything. I wonder if there is a committee to oversee the setting up of committees? How about the Director and his executive Management board just do their jobs and fix the problems.

Maybe a lot is lost i translation but very often Yingluck just displays herself as someone throwing tantrums all the time, "I have ordered people to fix it', rather than 'I am assisting the board with the acquisition of the necessary resources that will permit a more efficient and satisfactory experience for the valuable tourists and businessmen that have chosen our international airport as their port of arrival in Thailand".

Personally i find these headlines funny.

first we have Thailand is set to attract high-spending tourists, then we have tourism is up and up and up, and now we have the airport can not handle the passengers.

Seems left hand does not know what right hand is doing, while the head has totally left the building.blink.png , while the legs are still kicking

first we have Thailand is set to attract high-spending tourists, then we have tourism is up and up and up, and now we have the airport can not handle the passengers.

Seems left hand does not know what right hand is doing, while the head has totally left the building.blink.png , while the legs are still kicking

I would find it funny, too, but now I live here. Many days I wish I didn't.

What one does for love, eh?

Maybe a lot is lost i translation but very often Yingluck just displays herself as someone throwing tantrums all the time, "I have ordered people to fix it', rather than 'I am assisting the board with the acquisition of the necessary resources that will permit a more efficient and satisfactory experience for the valuable tourists and businessmen that have chosen our international airport as their port of arrival in Thailand".

Is there a Thai equivalent of 'Yes Prime Minister'?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I would find it funny, too, but now I live here. Many days I wish I didn't.

What one does for love, eh?

over 10 years and i still find it funny, though Johnny, JIm and Jack are great help at timestongue.png

As Forest Gump said ' im not a smart man"

within 70 months but before 2017... hmmm

70 months divided by 12 = 5 years and 10 months.

July 2012 now so 5 years and 10 months would put it at July 2017 + 10 months = May 2018.

So its before 2017 or within May 2018..... ( which technically is correct by the way.. why not just say before 2017 or within the time frame of the sun becoming a dead star and life on earth no longer exists)

I thought they announced Thailand was to be the Asian Hub.... will this be before the before 2017 or after the within of 70 months or within or between the before and within .

If Forest Gump was filmed in Thailand then surely the line would be " life's like a box of bullshite" or Im not a smart woman but I don't have to be as my brother is smart man...