How Did U Find Ur Job As Expat?

In the pub in the UK, I was unemployed at the time.

The mate I was having the beer with asked if I fancied a short (10 week) contract in Seoul. That turned into 2 1/2 years in Korea, never looked back, moved on to HK and KL then Italy.

Met the Thai wife in Rome, when the European contracts dried up we moved to Thailand. I didn't have a job, but still maintained my Asian network and got another short contract within a month, still limping along on short contracts and long holidays :)

• Like 1

the job that brought me over here I was offered in my home country. I had worked for the company during college and got hooked up with a job at a Thai franchise after I graduated. My current job I got through a mutual expat friend after almost 5 years here

First job here I got in a bar. I came on holiday and met up for a beer with a mate I'd worked with before and his company was looking for someone.

Started work a week later and on that job met someone from another company that gave me my next job.

Same with that job too.

By then I was known by the local agents and kept getting calls which gave me a few more jobs.

All short terms contracts with expat salaries, medical and car but no flights etc.

Current job I was working for the company in their head office and they sent me to Thailand.

First time: Secondment to Singapore. Then head-hunted for Thailand role.

Others:

- BKK Recruitment agency approached me.

- Bangkok Post ad.

- Personal referral for job in Asia, then later an internal position advertised within the company for Thailand.

:)

Hired in Singapore and sent to Thailand. I lived in Thailand for many years while growing up and can speak, read and write fluent Thai.

My employer trained me in the basics of their biz., then I applied this knowledge to expand their biz. throughout Thailand. Been a great ride!

Sometimes the worst thing a 20/30-something can do is to limp around with their 'light' degree and no useful network hoping to to be 'discovered' so they can remain in Thailand for a couple more years. There is a certain road in Bangkok which they flutter around. The illusions are augmented with the acquisition of a local GF and some poorly paid TEFL work. So the career time meter is running on empty and the retreat eventually sounded.

yoshiwara's post gives excellent advice to anyone looking for the illusive expat package in Thailand. I too have watched the number of expat jobs decrease markedly, especially after the 1997 Financial Crisis. Many expat friends of mine lost their jobs then, and those jobs will never return to Thailand.

Thailand is no longer viewed as the up and coming "tiger" that it once was. Combined with more and more capable Thais receiving Uni. degrees from oversees, the expat has long been an endangered species in Thailand. The same holds true throughout Asia.

yoshiwara's post gives excellent advice to anyone looking for the illusive expat package in Thailand. I too have watched the number of expat jobs decrease markedly, especially after the 1997 Financial Crisis. Many expat friends of mine lost their jobs then, and those jobs will never return to Thailand.

Thailand is no longer viewed as the up and coming "tiger" that it once was. Combined with more and more capable Thais receiving Uni. degrees from oversees, the expat has long been an endangered species in Thailand. The same holds true throughout Asia.

Not sure if that is trictly true across asia; Singapore's expat population is 40% and unlikely to shrink in the forseeable future.

Having good qualifications, a relevant skillset, experience and an appropriate work ethic helps with finding a job anywhere.

Anybody writing u instead of you and ur instead of your instantly disqualified as not serious.

Yes I likewise was going to highlight that. Its an absolute no brainer within any form of communication.

Word of mouth, right time, right place, right qualifications with experience.

Desperate multinational looking for staff smile.png

Over 20 years as an expat with them and they still haven't opened a slot in Thailand passifier.gif

Was in the Army followed by the Communications world, had a bad couple of years in Germany with a divorce, then the work dried up, attended an SAP Course whilst on it met some guy and his Thai girlfriend, wanted to get away so looked on ajarn.com (was an instructor in the Army), got a job lined up, flew over as fast as I could.

Now looking for a comms job outside of Thailand to make some money and help me get back into that world.

My company, based out of the USA has an office in Bangkok, there is an internal competitive process to get full expat package jobs abroad- I began working for the company in the US and after EIGHT years of trying for a Bangkok post (4 interviews) i finally got the post 3 years ago. I could have moved immediatly if i had accepted a local package, but i managed to be patient enough to wait all those years...life in Bangkok as a full expat is Tremendous!- as Alan Partridge would say.

Sometimes the worst thing a 20/30-something can do is to limp around with their 'light' degree and no useful network hoping to to be 'discovered' so they can remain in Thailand for a couple more years. There is a certain road in Bangkok which they flutter around. The illusions are augmented with the acquisition of a local GF and some poorly paid TEFL work. So the career time meter is running on empty and the retreat eventually sounded.

Local GF and TEFL don't apply to me, but as a young 20-something without a degree, it is difficult to get steady work. I've only just picked up a contract - a well paying one, as well - thanks to no connections but a good portfolio and experience. I'd been bumming around Bangkok for near three months before I got that, doing freelance gigs that I pick up from meeting small business owners and the like. Though I used to live in Thailand for a while growing up, no connections could help me and so on your own, sans degree means tough luck.

Even I tell people best way to get work in X is to go home and find the job there and get sent to X.

• Like 1

Meatballs..........What do you sell exactly as a self emplyed person? Im going to semi retire in Thailand soon with Thai Wife. Have some English income from small business in UK but I have to do SOMETHING in thailand just to get me off the bar stool at 11.30 ion the morning watching the lady boys go by!!

Any advice greatfully recived to this newby.!

Went to university here in Thailand and found my current job through friend at school

Good company run by a great family and really enjoy my work. Been with the company for 5 yrs now and Hope to have the opportunity to spend the next 30 years with the company

My company, based out of the USA has an office in Bangkok, there is an internal competitive process to get full expat package jobs abroad- I began working for the company in the US and after EIGHT years of trying for a Bangkok post (4 interviews) i finally got the post 3 years ago. I could have moved immediatly if i had accepted a local package, but i managed to be patient enough to wait all those years...life in Bangkok as a full expat is Tremendous!- as Alan Partridge would say.

What the company name?

What the company name?

Sure, and have every Tom, Dick and Harriette throwing their Media Studies graduation CV at the company HR Dept.

I came here for a holiday in 2006, at the time I was a researcher at Sun Micro. I liked it so much I went back to the states, quit my job and started searching.

I identified a busness that needed my skill set, took the VP of Ops out to dinner and told him I would do pretty much anything he needed, but I had to live in Thailand. Three months later I was here managing the APAC region for a small telecom company. I travel a lot but Banglamung is home. Couldn't be happier.