How Much Do You Think My Electricity Bill Will Be?

jacobjm1

I just moved to Bangkok less than a week ago. I'm trying to get an estimate on what my electricity costs will be on average a month without making any current changes. I am home most of the day. I live in a very new condo where everything has been furnished.

Here's my list of items I use and how much:

1) Air conditioning, one unit (all day)

2) Stove range hotplate (3x a day)

3) Microwave (3x a day)

4) Ceiling lights, energy efficient bulbs (12 hours a day)

5) iMac computer (Several hours a day, then sleep mode)

6) Sleep machine (Only during sleep)

I never watch TV and I don't have a washing machine in my unit.

Thanks

Jacob

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Difficult to say. I recon you have a refrigerator as well.

How much do you pay kw/unit? I'll think about 4/5000 bath/month.

i dont think your taking into acount the "sleep mode"

there's at least another grand there..

the kw/unit price will tell you. electricity is expensive, it may be even more than rent

​I disagree, I think it is very cheap actually. The big killer for you wil be your cost. The cost form the Gov PEA does vary slightly depending on usage, the more you use, then the cost of each unit goes up, (go figure, and can vary slightly from Provence to Provence) but work on 4.5b per kilowatt. No, many land lords nail you, and pay the bill on your behalf, nice of them them make a new bill at 10b or the worse I have read is 18b per kilowatt. This should have been sorted when you rented your place. I have always insisted paying the actual PEA bill when I was on the rental merry go round.

​Old air cons can be a killer. When I was in BKK, I used air allot, my power bill was about 6000b a month at PEA rates, replacing one old un-maintained air con saved 3000b a month. The building had a by-law saying you could not clean the compressor out side, as it will leave a ugly dirty trail after cleaning down the side of the building, it was just full of solid crap. Really nasty stuff. Use a towel to stop the cold air leaking out as well.

The little hot water heaters are often about 5 kilowatts, so hour long showers will drive up your bill & your cooker will have a large draw.

I have a gas and an electric oven, some pasties just do allot better in a fan forced electric oven, but you see the meter speed up when you turn it on big time, we use the gas oven mostly, misses loves baking. Funny it was 1/6 the price, works great and cheap to run.

​My Plasma TV cost be around 1000b a month to run, but it is on allot. (Do note, the new plasma's from Samsung use about half the power than some other brands, note to self). Your lights will make next to no difference compared to above mentioned items.

I doubt it is ok to do but if you buy you own place here, install gas in the kitchen, it is so much better to cook with.

​Whatthe heck is a sleep machine? (Please don't tell me a little something that vibrates bah.gif )

Edited by mozzieslapper

Yes, I forgot, I also have a refrigerator running and a wi-fi router. The condo I live in does not mark-up the power. I get a bill directly from the power company. I have the latest bill, but I can't figure out how much the kilowater per hour is...

This is a 40 sq meter apartment with only me living in it. If the bill is up to 6,000 THB, I think that's manageable for me...otherwise, I might start looking for some power saving strategies, like buying a fan, though I don't know how much you really save on that....

I think this can be 1600-1800 baht.

I also live in condo, turn on A/C every day but not all day. Have fridge which is full time using,

microwave, washing machine which using it 2-3 times in a month, notebook...umm several hours in a day,

and also a few more small electric machines..kettle, ricecooker, small oven..ceiling lights. TV, turn on all day.

I usually pay about 700-900 baht in each month.

Yes, I forgot, I also have a refrigerator running and a wi-fi router. The condo I live in does not mark-up the power. I get a bill directly from the power company. I have the latest bill, but I can't figure out how much the kilowater per hour is...

This is a 40 sq meter apartment with only me living in it. If the bill is up to 6,000 THB, I think that's manageable for me...otherwise, I might start looking for some power saving strategies, like buying a fan, though I don't know how much you really save on that....

My condo is 100 sq metres, it's a corner unit and fairly high so we get a through draft and don't need air con running during the day, though we often run the fan during the day, air con on in bedroom at night.

TV open over breakfast and for about four hours in the evening, wifi router and notebook running most of the day, torrents, fridge, micro wave, kettle, stove and oven, hot water and washing machine as and when required. Energy saving lights but even then only minimal lighting.

Billed by MEA and usually runs at about 2,000 to 2,500 Baht per month.

Just a small heads up.

The OP has made 17 posts.

Of those 10 have been as the OP.

Just saying like ... whistling.gif

Though I know few will read this and happily reply ... rolleyes.gif

Im my naivity I thought the that was the main idea for the forum, to help newbees to find their way around herewhistling.gif

As interesting as the banana-thread is........coffee1.gif