Five Thai Govt Agencies Join In Battle Against Hand, Foot, And Mouth Disease Outbreak

webfact

Five govt agencies join in battle against HFMD outbreak

The Nation

30186657-01_big.jpg?1342825008272

BANGKOK: -- Five key government agencies have joined forces to contain the outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), says Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri, and expect to see the situation improve by next month.

After a meeting yesterday, the Education Ministry agreed to conduct a sixpoint campaign at primary schools across the country, while the Culture Ministry, which regulates Internet cafes, will oversee sanitary measures at all outlets.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will handle public health measures and an awareness campaign at the schools it runs in the capital, while the Public Health Ministry will supervise and implement overall health and medical operations.

Witthaya said the situation would be considered under control if there were a decrease in the number of HFMD patients by August, while there are no new infections.

"Normal adults should probably not contract HFMD, other than those with defective immunity [systems] or whose hygiene is lacking," he said.

Through local administrative bodies and provincial authorities under its supervision, the Interior Ministry will assist disease surveillance put in place by the Public Health Ministry and run by its healthcare volunteer networks.

Of 13,918 cases reported since January, 2,704 were in Bangkok, mostly in Ratchathewi, Saphan Sung and Bang Kapi districts, said Deputy Bangkok Governor Malinee Sukkhavejvorakij.

The Education Ministry's sixpoint campaign consists of running awareness campaigns in all schools, running initial surveillance operations, close coordination with the Public Health Ministry, meetings of schoolteachers to update the situation among themselves and to parents, stepbystep closure of classes and schools where HFMD outbreaks occur from seven to 10 days, and quarantine and sanitation at those schools during closure.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-21

Quote:

After a meeting yesterday, the Education Ministry agreed to conduct a sixpoint campaign at primary schools across the country, while the Culture Ministry, which regulates Internet cafes, will oversee sanitary measures at all outlets.

"Normal adults should probably not contract HFMD, other than those with defective immunity [systems] or whose hygiene is lacking," he said.

That's Thailand in deep s**t then.. how many Thai's can you see running to the nearest shop to buy a clean cloth & disinfectant !!

My local street vendor uses the same "old t-shirt" & bowl of cold water to wipe down all his surfaces & his cooking utensils.. followed by his hands before asking you "what would you like to eat"

hence I stopped eating at his place years ago.. after I had a word with him.. but he still does the same !!

I'm surprised Thailand is as free from epidemics as it is or are Thais just more immune to all things??

There isn't even soap in the public schools. What is there to discuss?..... there is plenty to do without any discussion. The baseline levels of common hygiene are not even close to being in place yet. Stop discussing and act. Just put soap in the goddamn school bathrooms, how bloody hard could that be??

Edited by meand

Quote:

That's Thailand in deep s**t then.. how many Thai's can you see running to the nearest shop to buy a clean cloth & disinfectant !!

My local street vendor uses the same "old t-shirt" & bowl of cold water to wipe down all his surfaces & his cooking utensils.. followed by his hands before asking you "what would you like to eat"

hence I stopped eating at his place years ago.. after I had a word with him.. but he still does the same !!

I'm surprised Thailand is as free from epidemics as it is or are Thais just more immune to all things??

No...Thailand is going pure Darwinian. That's how you build up immunity and select out the weak. Swim in raw sewerage. Eat from food stands that wash their vegetables in the same sewerage. Don't worry about clean hands. If food falls on the ground, pick it up and eat it. Even if you're in Calcutta during the rainy season. You will wind up with a stronger population, immune to every disease. Of course the population will consist of only 40 people, but they sure will be strong. Unfortunately, none of them will be able to drive worth a s*** and will probably kill each other off in motor vehicle crashes.

Edited by jaltsc

There isn't even soap in the public schools. What is there to discuss?..... there is plenty to do without any discussion. The baseline levels of common hygiene are not even close to being in place yet. Stop discussing and act. Just put soap in the goddamn school bathrooms, how bloody hard could that be??

It must be pretty hard because they can't even put toilet paper in the bathrooms.

It must be pretty hard because they can't even put toilet paper in the bathrooms.

Two different things.

No one here uses toilet paper so it would just become a toy and a mess.

On the other hand if you provide soap and educate the children they WILL use it !

Quote:

No...Thailand is going pure Darwinian. That's how you build up immunity and select out the weak. Swim in raw sewerage. Eat from food stands that wash their vegetables in the same sewerage. Don't worry about clean hands. If food falls on the ground, pick it up and eat it. Even if you're in Calcutta during the rainy season. You will wind up with a stronger population, immune to every disease. Of course the population will consist of only 40 people, but they sure will be strong. Unfortunately, none of them will be able to drive worth a s*** and will probably kill each other off in motor vehicle crashes.

Immune to every antibiotic, since that is the standard treatment for any/every condition.

Quote:

Your body's immune system will take care of everything, so doesn't matter if you use a dirty cloth. In the west there allergies are rampant in the populations, apparently because westerners tend to be obsessive about killing all germs. Doing that means your body doesn't build up any immunity. You may be surprised but there is no reason to, as all this is biological fact. But western living has probably made you a little paranoid about germs.

Do the kids have an immunity to HFMdisease??

Only going to be protected and the virus contained / controlled with hygine.

Lack of standards is the biggest problem wich you will find anywhere correct controls are administered.

Typical react v's act.

Edited by damo

Quote:

Your body's immune system will take care of everything, so doesn't matter if you use a dirty cloth. In the west there allergies are rampant in the populations, apparently because westerners tend to be obsessive about killing all germs. Doing that means your body doesn't build up any immunity. You may be surprised but there is no reason to, as all this is biological fact. But western living has probably made you a little paranoid about germs.

This is a brilliant post, and I guess following this logic the Thais must be the geniuses of the world. They make every kid in the whole school drink from the same cups at their fountains so they can............... strengthen the kids' immunity systems (never mind the fact that a deadly disease could go through the entire population in minutes with this "technique"). Same thing with not giving them soap...... maybe it is all a way to strengthen their immune systems because the doctors here are such crap. This is all just brilliant and I didn't even know it.... who would have thought washing your hands was bad (those western docs must really be idiots).... brilliant, just brilliant.

Thats gonna take a while.

The tender has to be put out for the supplier of said soap.

Tenders have to be discussed in length to make sure no farang bids will win.

Meetings have to take place between companies and politicians for agreed 30 per cent of the top.

Parliament have to have a referendum about provision of funds for project.

There needs to be a think tank on the possible outcomes of cleaner hands.

Results have to be gathered about said think tank.

Individual school directors have to have a meeting with supplier for tea money.

A meeting has to take place to discuss with the thai teachers about training students how to use bar of soap. Farang teachers will not be invited.

Sign saying 'Watch you hand' needs to be designed and printed. (grammar and spelling incorrect but can't ask English teachers at school. loss of face)

Then they have to wait for soap to arrive at school.

Soap never comes because it was intercepted by another government official and is for sale at all the local markets.

Not as easy as you might think. clap2.gif

What can you say about all this? It's simply too complicated to attempt to find a starting point to a solution for anything, because there are too many behaviors out there that sabotage any attempt to stem the flood of constant problems that nag this society.

Filth is everywhere in Thailand, and to point it out, one must eventually deal with the "face" issue; and hence the pointing is rendered ineffective. As soon as someone feels blame coming there way, the truth is buried, tampered with or obliterated.

Hearing of 5 govt departments battling against a virus is reminiscent of the floods last year. Corrupt government officials who were appointed due to their ability to funnel bribe money up towards the politicians are suddenly in the spotlight as they confront a crisis which is not related to tea money collections and stretches their abilities way beyond capacity. Best solution is to spread out the responsibility to as many government depts and the politicians as possible so that the blame gets diluted when they all fail together and no one can really say who should have done what.

Quote:

To a certain degree what you say is true, however western society's "obsession" with Hygiene comes from the centuries past when plagues wiped out large percentages of the population. Of course today we are much better educated and have better technologies to prevent and combat such things but the "obsession" is also one of the learnings. The WHO is greatly concerned about the next pandemics and so they should be because it is not the known pathogen and germs that will be the lethal threat to millions it is surely going to come from the vast number of mutating drug resistant pathogen and zoonotic diseases that are likely to go through transgenic shift and become humanly transmittable to which there are no drugs or remedies and to which the human immune system has no native defense. This has already occurred in 1918 when the "Spanish" influenza killed about 2% of the world's population in less than a year. Today 2% of the population would be about 140 million people. I think the word obsession would seem a little out of place if such a thing occurs again and the experts are expecting it. They just don't know when or how. An obsession with Hygiene would be more like smart survival training then eh??

Lots of chat over the last ten years as pig, bird and bovine illnesses cross to human populations. Where then does HFMD come from? Wikipedia traces it back to around 1997, though I've increasingly found this awesome resource heavily sanitization in high-profile controversial topics such as this. The word 'common' for example, is used by wiki contributors to describe the prevalence of HFMD in children. Divisions are also made between human and animal strains. Such things calm jittery nerves. However, take note that America's Center for Disease Control recently consolidated itself under the Bioweapons/biodefense program, the two plonked under a single department chief. Vaccines contain all sorts of genetic material from various sources, including cows (ref: http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/ucm143521.htm). Vaccines contain vicious toxins like mercury and aluminium compounds, while we're told there's nothing to worry about, and oh by the way, have you had your Tetanus booster?. With a world population of 6 billion, a paucity of transparent debate at the highest levels, political support documents for population control like State Department NSSM 200, and a goal of 90% reduction in world population carved in 20 ft stone monoliths in Georgia, USA (ref: Georgia Guidestones), there's more than enough grounds to be very cautious indeed about your health and future well-being. Lets not kid ourselves; those of us on Thai Visa most certainly number among the 90%, particularly as we live in one of the target nations mentioned in NSSM 200. Now some will say I'm putting two and two together and coming up with five, but what has always been clear is that there's a war on at both the microbial and macro-economic level, and if you or your children are going to get through the next decade or two in good shape, it would be best to recast your traditional paradigms, and make a truly informed decision regarding which vaccines you give to your children and how you read news such as we have here this month on HFMD. Ref:

So the CDC has been rejigged to achieve world domination thru bioweapons? And vaccines with toxic substances have been designed to that end? Not sure I get your thesis. What do you think?

Has anyone suggested that children should be vaccinated against HFMD?

So the CDC has been rejigged to achieve world domination thru bioweapons? And vaccines with toxic substances have been designed to that end? Not sure I get your thesis. What do you think?

Has anyone suggested that children should be vaccinated against HFMD?

Be very careful about vaccines. Vaccines are for viruses. Immunizations are nothing to fear. They are for natural born illnesses.There are a lot of viruses that seem to be popping up in recent years that seem to never have existed before. I did not have any vaccinations when I was young. These days, kids are like pin cushions; they get so many. It makes you wonder. The recalls and resulting deaths from vaccines are enough to make this article dim in comparison. Translated, more children have probably died from vaccinations than from HFMD.

Thats gonna take a while.

The tender has to be put out for the supplier of said soap.

Tenders have to be discussed in length to make sure no farang bids will win.

Meetings have to take place between companies and politicians for agreed 30 per cent of the top.

Parliament have to have a referendum about provision of funds for project.

There needs to be a think tank on the possible outcomes of cleaner hands.

Results have to be gathered about said think tank.

Individual school directors have to have a meeting with supplier for tea money.

A meeting has to take place to discuss with the thai teachers about training students how to use bar of soap. Farang teachers will not be invited.

Sign saying 'Watch you hand' needs to be designed and printed. (grammar and spelling incorrect but can't ask English teachers at school. loss of face)

Then they have to wait for soap to arrive at school.

Soap never comes because it was intercepted by another government official and is for sale at all the local markets.

Not as easy as you might think. clap2.gif

Then how about stopping them all from drinking from the same exact cup at their water fountains, which I have seen at at least one school. Too difficult?? I guess so smile.png

Let me, for the sake of some fun, delve into the possible difficulties within this problem. What would you have to do to stop them from all drinking from the same cup at a fountain?? TAKE THE CUP AWAY. Wow, that would be tough, not sure how they'd get around that one. And mind you even this would NEVER ever happen, they will never take it away. It is proof that there is a much bigger problem there than simply money or bureaucracy, it is far far worse than that. There is some sort of faulty learning and logical disabilities there, sorry but true. If you continue to let all your kids in an entire school drink from the same bloody cup you have got some serious problems as a society. I mean, they did stuff like this in villages in Africa too, and everybody died. Is that what it would take for them to learn?

Edited by meand