Most & Least Respected Foreigners In Thailand

thelongshoot

Here we are trying to stereotype the Thais on what their stereotypes are.

My guess is they make a lot of it up as they go and don't worry about contradicting themselves too much.

Opinions change with the wind.

But they like me every day.

PS: its canucks not canooks (in regards to some posts way back there)

• Like 1

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well..if you are going to play English police going to change my opinion on your countrymen then as being the least offensive foreigners in Thailand then...tongue.png

Oh well..if you are going to play English police going to change my opinion on your countrymen then as being the least offensive foreigners in Thailand then...tongue.png

we behave here because without hockey sticks, skates, and ice, we don't know how to start a proper fight eh.

I think this is a very good topic and should be brought out into the open, providing of course posters know where to draw the line, don`t act like idiots and not go over the top.

I have over 30 years experience of Thailand and this is my perception, for what it`s worth.

The Thais don`t particularly like farangs (Europeans), but they do tolerate us providing we tow the line and do not trend on their turf. All white people are considered the same to Thais; they do not differentiate between nationalities, Protestants, Catholics or Jews.

Regarding other South East Asians, the Thais opinion of these groups are more of class structure rather than race. For example they regard the Japanese and the Chinese with high esteem, but consider the Cambodians, Vietnamese and Burmese as belonging at the bottom of the heap due to most of them coming from nations of no wealth.

There is a saying among Thais. If one sees a poisonous snake and an Indian together, than put the Indian out of action first. This also includes people of the Middle East. Don’t know why? But the Thais have always been wary of South Asians and have a low regard for them.

The Thais haven’t had much experience with black people as yet and intend to be a little scared of them, the same as they were with farangs during the past. A Thai girl friend of my wife in the States married a black man. All during the marriage the Thai girl’s family refused to be associated with their black son in law and even refused to meet him. So even here in the LOS, racism still raises it`s ugly head, only unlike in the West it lies more within the minds of the people rather than being brought out into the open as is typical of many things Thai. But sadly although racism can appear to be dormant in Thailand, it`s still there.

back in the U.K I have quoted this saying in the office to people on the other end of doing deals with those of this part of the world when things have turned sour....I think it is a brilliant saying thumbsup.gif

most: stickmanbangkok - he is a full time teacher, doing the work of God as he educates the Thai children of tomorrow. he also runs a full time blog for 12 years dedicated to the commercial sex trade.

least: That guy from CNN who was on the ground for the red shirt protests and was deemed unworthy of covering news in Thailand.

The least Respected Any farang who refers to themselves as either "Khun" or Arjan should be deported for being mentally unstable or is it a case their self-esteem is that low ?

Would the same apply to a Thai abroad refering to themselves as Mr or Mrs?

The least Respected Any farang who refers to themselves as either "Khun" or Arjan should be deported for being mentally unstable or is it a case their self-esteem is that low ?

Would the same apply to a Thai abroad refering to themselves as Mr or Mrs?

NOT in any way equivalent.

What is their opinion of people from Singapore?

Just say you are from KL...

Why is saying I'm from KL better?

If you're that thick-skinned, they'll know you're from Singapore anyway

SC

Haha! I've spent a lot of time in Malaysia to know the difference between the kinds of people in both countries. But I wanted to know how and why Thais see the two groups differently.

That would depend on whether you are Malay, Chinese, or Indian in extraction.

My comment on Singaporeans was meant to refer to Chinese Singaporeans only.

I see. I'm a Singaporean of Indian descent.

I would say that Americans are generally seen as being a cut above the rest.

Least respected are probably the English whistling.gif

Here we go! Are you really expecting the educated amongst us to take such a stupid ignorant post seriously....

@chads

its a long story la

I would love to know though. And it might help some others who read this thread.

well just my two cents, AIS, canals in the south, Flags on Sathorn Embassies and pervading superiority complex when dealing with Thais. I am sure there are many more reasons....

That would depend on whether you are Malay, Chinese, or Indian in extraction.

My comment on Singaporeans was meant to refer to Chinese Singaporeans only.

I see. I'm a Singaporean of Indian descent.

Then to Thais you are an Indian, nothing more / nothing less.

Hmm. But going there every 3 months over the past couple of years, I've never experienced any stereotypical behavior towards me.

Especially not in the English-speaking Thai circles but maybe that's a different kind of community.

Recently I've learnt to speak Thai as well, so I've been speaking more often to Thais who don't speak English. And similarly I haven't had any negative experiences based on me being "Indian".