Eliminate Ants Forever

TongueThaied

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody actually found a source for borax or boric acid (assuming they're basically the same) in the Pattaya area? I've been checking these threads, hoping that someone would have a definite and confirmed location, but I haven't seen one. Many posts saying that pharmacies carry it, but every time I've tried one (showing them the Thai script for it) they just shake their heads -- no. They're not able to offer a suggestion.

You guys should do some googling. Not sure if you are living in some wooden hut in the jungle but fighting insects should not be this hard. maybe post pictures of your home exterior for some advice. the easiest way to prevent ants is to limit standing dirt in the vicinity of your home. you can use all kinds of natural deterrents.

Has anybody actually found a source for borax or boric acid (assuming they're basically the same) in the Pattaya area? I've been checking these threads, hoping that someone would have a definite and confirmed location, but I haven't seen one. Many posts saying that pharmacies carry it, but every time I've tried one (showing them the Thai script for it) they just shake their heads -- no. They're not able to offer a suggestion.

honestly, it is not like borax is some miracle product. fighting ants is not that hard and there are tons of things you can do. google is your friend.

You guys should do some googling. Not sure if you are living in some wooden hut in the jungle but fighting insects should not be this hard. maybe post pictures of your home exterior for some advice. the easiest way to prevent ants is to limit standing dirt in the vicinity of your home. you can use all kinds of natural deterrents.

There's not much dirt accumulated around my 10th floor condo! None, actually.

Since you know better than many of us who are living in Thailand about ridding homes of ants here, perhaps sharing your knowledge of how you did it would be more helpful. Please tell us about all the these kinds of natural deterrents you're aware of.

There's not much dirt accumulated around my 10th floor condo! None, actually.

Since you know better than many of us who are living in Thailand about ridding homes of ants here, perhaps sharing your knowledge of how you did it would be more helpful. Please tell us about all the these kinds of natural deterrents you're aware of.

silicone caulk and washing your floors and counters more often and riding them of food is a good start.

they are just magically appearing? you can't find where they are coming and going from?

lol

Edited by farang000999

Borax is great stuff - nature's insecticide/fungicide. I used it to treat my log house against wood ants and as a fungicide and it really works. You might try(in Chiang Mai) "Northern Chemical" located near Wat Jed Yod & Superhiway intersection. I've purchased several things there that are really difficult to find. If you have enough info you can likely get them to order whatever you want. I am still trying to get some selenium sulfide (cold bluing solution) common in the USA and I will probably ask them. By the way - you may not realize that if you have ants - you don't have roaches! Ants will hunt down and eat roaches and their eggs.

Alpha cypermethrin sprays work rather well in my experience and are available pretty much everywhere (sold as chandrite-1 here). The cypermethrin hangs around for weeks indoors and has very low toxicity for mammals.

• 5 months later...

Haven't read the whole thread but borax isn't too expensive in pharmaceutical supply shops - and worth every penny when it comes to ants. My nan used to use it in the days before they invented various sprays, and I've always used it.

Lovely for a soak in the bath too.....

Haven't read the whole thread but borax isn't too expensive in pharmaceutical supply shops - and worth every penny when it comes to ants. My nan used to use it in the days before they invented various sprays, and I've always used it.

Lovely for a soak in the bath too.....

If you're in Chiang Mai, you can get borax at Northern Chemical - as mentioned by pizzachang - for 240 baht per 500 g., imported from Germany.

Like you say, it isn't too expensive, and 500 g. will probably last a long time.

less humane is following their trail back to their nest outside and pouring boiling water into it. repeat as necessary.

else you can put their favorite food on the floor in the bathroom and hit them with the boiling water there. repeat for a week. you'll win.

Edited by developmentally challenged