Firearms And Firearms-ranges

TAWP

Back in the days I was a competing shooter, mostly 6.5mm Mauser-rifles on 200 up to 600m field-ranges, but have also had an interest in skeet-shooting and pistol-shooting (anything between 9mm up to .357).

Since this I have 2 things to ask. =)

First is that I have several friends from back home that are talking about comming over and visiting, and they all want to visit fireranges. Not the normal local ones for smaller firearms, but the ones with M16 and other military issued weapons.

Does anyone have a good place to recomend, preferably not to many hours from BKK? Googling doesn't give all places (since most aren't online...) and word of mouth-recomendations are worth much more then a flashy webpage imho.

Second thing, are there any fellow shooters on the forum? Perhaps you own you own firearm and reguarly practice at a local range? Coming from a country where a lot of ranges exists (and most of them have websites) to Thailand it's kinda hard to find any decent place when I don't know where to start looking.

I was told by the police that firearm (pistols and revolvers) up and including .357 was in the same firearms-license class and obtainable if one had a 'houselog', but this was said by a policeman that also owns a gunshop, so he might not be a expert of firearms-laws, I do not know. Any info regarding this would also be appruciated.

Back in the days I was a competing shooter, mostly 6.5mm Mauser-rifles on 200 up to 600m field-ranges, but have also had an interest in skeet-shooting and pistol-shooting (anything between 9mm up to .357).

First is that I have several friends from back home that are talking about comming over and visiting, and they all want to visit fireranges. Not the normal local ones for smaller firearms, but the ones with M16 and other military issued weapons.

Does anyone have a good place to recomend, preferably not to many hours from BKK? Googling doesn't give all places (since most aren't online...) and word of mouth-recomendations are worth much more then a flashy webpage imho.

Second thing, are there any fellow shooters on the forum? Perhaps you own you own firearm and reguarly practice at a local range? Coming from a country where a lot of ranges exists (and most of them have websites) to Thailand it's kinda hard to find any decent place when I don't know where to start looking.

I was told by the police that firearm (pistols and revolvers) up and including .357 was in the same firearms-license class and obtainable if one had a 'houselog', but this was said by a policeman that also owns a gunshop, so he might not be a expert of firearms-laws, I do not know. Any info regarding this would also be appruciated.

We tried to get a pistol licences up here in the N/E and was told by the local head police man that we didnt own enough land to warent a pistol licence or pistol. But we are still working on this one. There are plenty of guns around up here and no one else seems to have a licence

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it is easy to get a firearm license in Thailand…if you are Thai.

And the license will only set you back around 100.000 baht.

But! This doesn’t mean that a farang can get one as well.

The reason for the license is that according to the Thai law written or maybe rewritten…is that one should have the opportunity to take care themselves and their premises

Some of the Thai military installations might have a “fun club” with some golf and a shooting range with 38’s and shotguns, and that is the closest you will come.

Also the one on Viphavadee in Bangkok has a member club where many Thais practice there skills. I’ve been shooting some Colt 45, speed and position there, but never seen any arms heavier than that.

When you buddies come you could instead take a plane and fly to Cambodia for the weekend or a train or whatever your preferred transportations are.

Go to The Thunder ranch shooting range outside Phnom Penh. Everyone will bring you there…

You will be able to fire M60, M16 and AK47’s and even throw some grenades or maybe try an RPG.

The cost of 30 rounds with the AK-47 rifle US$18.

30 rounds with the M16 is US$20 and 50 rounds with the M60 machinegun is US$35.

If you want handguns there is also a selection of 38’s and 45’s.

There is a Firearms range just north of Hua Hin. You can rent their guns and by bullets from them for your display of firepower. Double back coming south when you get to the Hin Nam Sai Suay and take the first road going away from the Ocean

Certainly is, my wife had no problems at all to get a license. Just a minor formality at the amphur and they gave her a "license to buy". That one need to be brought to the gun dealer and once the gun has been purchased a second "license to own" is issued (takes a few weeks and includes all details such as model, serial no etc).

100k? I believe the application fee was a few hundred baht or so. 100k might be what a person who don't really qualify for a license have to fork up...

A farang with a PR can get a gun license on the same grounds as a Thai citizen.

Certainly is, my wife had no problems at all to get a license. Just a minor formality at the amphur and they gave her a "license to buy". That one need to be brought to the gun dealer and once the gun has been purchased a second "license to own" is issued (takes a few weeks and includes all details such as model, serial no etc).

100k? I believe the application fee was a few hundred baht or so. 100k might be what a person who don't really qualify for a license have to fork up...

A farang with a PR can get a gun license on the same grounds as a Thai citizen.

True...if you have a permanent residence and are registered on a tabien baan (house registration) you can ask for the license...but it is still up to the local authorities’ policy.

Other than that you need to provide some info to why you want to have a firearm, you need to show how much money you have in the bank and so on…the usual documents. You might get a license to own a gun but that is NOT the same as a license to carry a gun. That is a separate license.

My bad about the 100.000 baht I have no idea where that came from.

The license will depend on the kind of firearm you want it will cost from 3000 to 7000 baht for the license. A good secondhand gun will cost from 30.000 and up…

http://www.thaishooters.com/

http://www.gun.in.th/

Thai Market

I'm from Florida where one can obtain a firearm without much difficulty and the prices are MUCH lower than here (due to import taxes, etc). From what others have told me, getting a gun here legally is not too easy unless it's either registered under than name of a Thai family member or if you're a permanent resident with your name on the house registration. As for just going shooting, there is a place off of Ramintra Rd. here in Bangkok that has a shooting club/range. I'm not sure if you can go unless you're a member which costs 2,000 baht/year. You may be able to go with a registered member and shoot with their gun(s). This range does have some rentals but I think they are mostly .38's and .357's.

Many people in Thailand own guns that are not registered and some folks in small towns up north make their own muzzle loaders. You'll find a lot of farmhouses in the provinces with a firearm or two but it seems that most folks in Bangkok don't own a gun. In addition to the high purchase price, the cost of ammo and VERY limited selection of bullet types probably keeps the number of target shooters down.

As a side note, airguns are classified as firearms here as well. In Florida, they're under very few regulations.

In Ko Samui we found the samui shooting sport club

Having never handled proper guns before,it was a real buz. fired a revolver,then a semi auto and a proper shotgun,did suprising well with the auto,always thought gun ranges were longer

They had a M16 but it was out of my price range at 8000baht for 100 rounds :o

Many people in Thailand own guns that are not registered and some folks in small towns up north make their own muzzle loaders. You'll find a lot of farmhouses in the provinces with a firearm or two but it seems that most folks in Bangkok don't own a gun. In addition to the high purchase price, the cost of ammo and VERY limited selection of bullet types probably keeps the number of target shooters down.

IMO the legal gun ownership rate in Bangkok is fairly high. According to an aquaintence over at the CSD, Bangkok has always led in the number of licenses except for in the last year or two where the three problematic southern provinces have been in the lead.

As for illegal guns, I think the country folks have this issue with wanting to SHOW their guns (not unlike folks in old school hip hop music videos), which may lead to people thinking that gun ownership in the provinces is higher.

For ammo, most people just use their target ammo (LRN and JLRN) as self defense ammo as well. It's self defense ammo that is WAY overpriced, but certainly available.

:o

I think there are 2-3 shooting ranges in Pattaya. Never understood why anyone would spend time and money on such a waste of time but each to his :o

So many people golf. Explain that!

So many people take the time to go to a bar, pay high prices to sit drinking. they might do it because they like it. I don't now, but then again I spent far to much time in my youth doing just that for work or pleasure.

Shootings a lot of fun, if you know whats your doing. A range is good for trying out your new weapon or trying one of theirs to see if you'd want to buy one. Although I grew up with a few weapons in the household and knew how to shoot, my uncle sam gave me a real education in many types.

I believe you can fire a true range of weapons in Cambodia for less than in Thailand. I think I read you could fire a LAW at a gov't range. Might be a bit pricey on that, but alot of fun to use for target practice. If possible to buy, try listen closely to instructor, as the potential kill zone behind the weapon is up to 15 meters.

Another weapon I really liked was the grenade launcher, very quiet at firing very noisey upon detonation. But most folks won't get the chance to grab a M 72 or M 79, would none the less enjoy a little target plinking with a pistol or rifle.

And who knows it might be a skill that might be handy in a few years.

"IMO the legal gun ownership rate in Bangkok is fairly high. According to an aquaintence over at the CSD, Bangkok has always led in the number of licenses except for in the last year or two where the three problematic southern provinces have been in the lead."

An interesting observation...I didn't think too many folks in the big city owned firearms. I have two uncles in the South who purchased pistols from Bangkok to keep handy in case of any attacks while they're working.

I enjoy shooting all kinds of firearms but it's an expensive hobby here.

Thanks for all the replies. Will look around some more, even though google isn't the easiest ways always.

Semi-military-sites with access to assault-rifles and the like are always appruciated by (male) visitors and something I would like to give guests here too a chance to shoot with during a visit.

Am located in BKK, so a site in Cambodja isn't ideal since the traveltime would be quite long, but if ever going there with a party...

Will check out the links above! if anyone has any first-hand experience in sites/locations with assault-rifles and the likes close to BKK that would be most helpfull too.