Newborn Child Uk Passport Application

My wife is currently pregnant with twins and because of the delay in our visa application, is likely to give birth in her home village. Many questions running through my head about the alternatives.

If the children are born in Thailand what are the steps and timings to get them British passports (British by descent) and how much does this cost? Would a six week turnaround be reasonable?

Is it true that I can apply for them to have passports without registering their birth until I get them to the UK?

How then do I register their births in the UK and at what cost?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, hoping there is some help and advice.

JR

Hi,

Providing you were born in the UK (with some exceptions), you should be able to transmit your British Nationality to your child.

You register the birth at the Amphur, then at the British Embassy in Bangkok because you are not going anywhere till the baby is registered by both countries registrars.

Expect to have many documents translated for this.

The Embassy will take the application for registration of Birth and the passport application at the same time. I would expect you would get this completed within the 6 weeks you mention.

The embassy recently told me that I need a counter-signatory for my childs passport (which I have not applied for yet), that is someone who has know you for 2 years.

It is usually advised that you get the Thai passport first, before the British passport. (because of questions asked about having another passport at the time of Thai passport application)

This is a small digest, there is plenty of useful information if you browse the forums and look at embassy website.

You do not need to register the birth at the embassy or in the UK. The child will be born in Thailand and the Thai registration will be the legal one.

From How to register a birth

This is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as one. It should not take the place of the locally issued birth certificate.

For all purposes in the UK, including a British passport application, the Thai birth certificate with a certified English translation is the one that will be needed.

For how to obtain the child's first passport, see How to apply from Thailand (First time applications)

Turnaround on a Thai passport is about a week. Anecdotal evidence on here suggests turnaround for the British ones will about 2 to 4 weeks.

• Like 1

I believe 7by7 is right, but having an embassy registered birth registered by the GRO (General Register Office) can help alleviate any problems in later life, and you can do it all at the same time, unless expense is an issue, you should do it.

From the page linked to above:

There is no requirement for a consular birth registration to be done for any birth that has occurred overseas. The original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications).
The cost of registration, which is payable in Thai baht at the British Embassy in Bangkok is £105 and each certified copy of entry document requested is £65 e.g. one registration document costs £105 + £65 = £170; two registration documents would cost £235 etc.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like paying the government money when I have to. Can't see the point when I don't have to and there is nothing gained by doing so.