Nacc Calls For Suthep To Be Impeached

webfact

ANTI-GRAFT AGENCY

NACC calls for Suthep to be impeached

The Nation

Senate to take up claim that senior Democrat sought Culture Ministry appointments in 2009

BANGKOK: -- The national anti-graft agency yesterday resolved to seek the impeachment of Suthep Thaugsuban, a heavyweight in the opposition Democrat Party, for interfering with the Culture Ministry while serving as deputy prime minister in the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will forward its report and relevant documents on the matter to the Senate in support of Suthep's impeachment and five-year ban from politics, NACC spokesman Klanarong Chantik said. Klanarong, who is also an NACC commissioner, told a press conference yesterday that the agency found that Suthep, in his capacity as a deputy prime minister, sent a letter dated February 25, 2009, to the then culture minister requesting political appointments for 19 individuals, including Democrat MPs.

The request was found to violate Article 266 of the Constitution. This prohibits Cabinet members, including the PM, from interfering with any state agency, enterprise or local government body "for personal benefits or for the benefits of others or of a political party, whether directly or indirectly".

Although Suthep retracted the request a few days later, on March 2, 2009, by having an official retrieve his letter from the Culture Ministry, the offence was already committed, the NACC spokesman said.

"He acted in his capacity as deputy prime minister. He was found to have interfered with the Culture Ministry's affairs for the benefit of himself and his political party," Klanarong said.

Suthep, who is a former Democrat secretary-general but retains his influence in the party, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The NACC found that Abhisit was not involved in the matter, although he was prime minister at the time, according to Klanarong. Nor had the 19 individuals committed any wrong because they were not appointed to the requested jobs, he said.

The NACC yesterday rejected another case lodged by MPs from Pheu Thai Party against Suthep and Abhisit, who is also the Democrat leader.

Klanarong said the MPs alleged that Abhisit as PM unlawfully appointed Suthep to chair both the Police Commission and the National Police Board; the latter must be chaired by the PM. The NACC said Abhisit had the right to make the appointment as there was no law preventing the PM having a Cabinet member act on his behalf in certain matters.

Meanwhile, Department of Special Investigation chief Tharit Pengdit said yesterday the DSI will meet with officials from 13 agencies in two weeks to discuss possible fraud charges against UK and US firms that sold GT200 and Alfa 6 bomb-detectors to Thai agencies. The devices are reportedly useless.

Thirteen NACC subcommittees are probing procurement of the devices, and the commission will be responsible for taking action against wrongdoing officials, Tharit said. The DSI yesterday submitted to the NACC more evidence of bidding collusion on procurement contracts and will soon provide information about other agencies that bought the devices.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-27

Probably a bit politically motivated but Suthep MOST probably has done things that are not allowed and he should get a ban.

Then give everybody a ban who has overstepped his/her authority. No double standards..

My guess is that nobody from the the coalition PM's will get any punishment for whatever they do/did. Let's see.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Democrat kingpin Suthep to quit politics if impeached by Senate

image_20120727120554C6D3A296-D867-C7D4-AD2FB180B7BA42EB.jpg

BANGKOK, July 27 - Former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban of the Democrat Party said on Friday that he will retire from politics altogether if the Senate impeaches him following the anti-graft commission resolution finding him guilty of inteference in the work of the Ministry of Culture.

The former deputy premier under the Democrat-led coalition government which was in power between 2009-2011 made the remark as the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) on Thursday resolved that the Democrat MP was found guilty for violating Constitution Article 268 for exercising power beyond the limit of his authority.

Suthep was accused of appointing 19 Democrats MPs to work in the Ministry of Culture, an action which the NACC considered as interference in the work of state officials.

The NACC resolved to forward the case to the Senate for formal impeachment, which could also result in a five-year ban from politics.

Suthep said he respects the NACC decision and is willing to follow the senate resolution.

The ex-deputy premier explained, however, that he did not send any MPs to work at the culture ministry. Suthep said he submitted a letter on appointing 19 MPs to work at the ministry for its consideration, but later withdrew it after learning that the move was deemed a violation of law.

"If the NACC considered the action was already done, I have to respect its decision," said the Democrat MP for Surat Thani.

Suthep said he could not predict whether he will be impeached by the senators and now he is still working as usual with no worry on the matter.

"I am now 64. If I am to be banned from politics for five years, by that time I will be 69," Suthep said, "I should call it quits from politics and go back to raise my grandchildren." (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

BANGKOK, July 27 - Former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban of the Democrat Party said on Friday that he will retire from politics altogether if the Senate impeaches him following the anti-graft commission resolution finding him guilty of inteference in the work of the Ministry of Culture.

The former deputy premier under the Democrat-led coalition government which was in power between 2009-2011 made the remark as the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) on Thursday resolved that the Democrat MP was found guilty for violating Constitution Article 268 for exercising power beyond the limit of his authority.

Suthep was accused of appointing 19 Democrats MPs to work in the Ministry of Culture, an action which the NACC considered as interference in the work of state officials.

The NACC resolved to forward the case to the Senate for formal impeachment, which could also result in a five-year ban from politics.

Suthep said he respects the NACC decision and is willing to follow the senate resolution.

The ex-deputy premier explained, however, that he did not send any MPs to work at the culture ministry. Suthep said he submitted a letter on appointing 19 MPs to work at the ministry for its consideration, but later withdrew it after learning that the move was deemed a violation of law.

"If the NACC considered the action was already done, I have to respect its decision," said the Democrat MP for Surat Thani.

Suthep said he could not predict whether he will be impeached by the senators and now he is still working as usual with no worry on the matter.

"I am now 64. If I am to be banned from politics for five years, by that time I will be 69," Suthep said, "I should call it quits from politics and go back to raise my grandchildren." (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

I have never heard such a comment from PT/UDD, Bravo Suthep.

Shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, he has a habit of taking the route of least resistance when events seem to be going against him or his dubious dealings come under scrutiny... hardly applaud able in my book:

1995 Corruption Scandal

The Democrat Party won elections in 13 September 1992, shortly after Black May, and formed a government. Suthep became Agriculture Minister. As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[2] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[3] In subsequent elections, the Chart Thai party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

[edit]2009 Disqualification as MP

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep and 12 other Democrat MPs for having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted that his resignation was not a proof that he had done something wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[4]

[edit]2011 Elections

In the general election on 3 July 2011, the Democrats were defeated. Suthep stepped down as the party's secretary-general immediately. When the government of successful Pheu Thai Party-leader Yingluck Shinawatra took office on 9 August, his term as deputy prime minister ended, as well.

It's remarkable that a man like Suthep is still involved in Thai politics given his past, especially when you contrast this with how other politicians have been made subject of a national witch hunt. It's the likes of Suthep that have taught his slippery methods to the current MPs but somehow he seems to slither and slide his way out of facing any consequences every time...

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

I wouldn't start clapping just yet - he has resigned twice before. I do hope you are not holding him up as some sort of virtuous being?

• Like 1

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

Shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, he has a habit of taking the route of least resistance when events seem to be going against him or his dubious dealings come under scrutiny... hardly applaud able in my book:

1995 Corruption Scandal

The Democrat Party won elections in 13 September 1992, shortly after Black May, and formed a government. Suthep became Agriculture Minister. As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[2] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[3] In subsequent elections, the Chart Thai party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep and 12 other Democrat MPs for having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted that his resignation was not a proof that he had done something wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[4]

[edit]2011 Elections

In the general election on 3 July 2011, the Democrats were defeated. Suthep stepped down as the party's secretary-general immediately. When the government of successful Pheu Thai Party-leader Yingluck Shinawatra took office on 9 August, his term as deputy prime minister ended, as well.

It's remarkable that a man like Suthep is still involved in Thai politics given his past, especially when you contrast this with how other politicians have been made subject of a national witch hunt. It's the likes of Suthep that have taught his slippery methods to the current MPs but somehow he seems to slither and slide his way out of facing any consequences every time...

And probably most poignant of all he lied about signing the order for the use of live ammunition on the 10th April 2010, not 3 days later as he maintained for the best part of two years after.........

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

1995 Corruption Scandal

[edit]2011 Elections

And probably most poignant of all he lied about signing the order for the use of live ammunition on the 10th April 2010, not 3 days later as he maintained for the best part of two years after.........

Thanks PPD it's clear that he should be banned.

I agree with the NACC concerning Suthep because I don't wear glasses. I can see!

Now the rest.... Let's see if you also agree when PT/UDD including Thaksin get punishments etc.. Let's see if you are going to blame it on the court or whatever/whoever in stead of agreeing with the order. (I think I have already seen the answer in other posts)

Let's reveal true colors.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

1995 Corruption Scandal

[edit]2011 Elections

Can't be bothered to get involved in the usual 'Red' taking the high ground when there is an apparent 'Yellow' misdemeanor,,nor vice-versa.

Predictable responses from certain people.

But, I agree with your last bit. 'The likes of Suthep' is clearly a non-party comment. IMHO, politicians of all parties will find themselves accused of 'slippery methods'. I'm sure IMHO, that the outcome of Suthep's Impeachment request, isn't going to be unique to him.

The phrase 'when you're caught' seems to have more relevance in Thailand IMHO. I believe there's a lot waiting to surface, for both colours.

Under starters orders in your respective corners

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

1995 Corruption Scandal

[edit]2011 Elections

Can't be bothered to get involved in the usual 'Red' taking the high ground when there is an apparent 'Yellow' misdemeanor,,nor vice-versa.

But, I agree with your last bit. 'The likes of Suthep' is clearly a non-party comment. IMHO, politicians of all parties will find themselves accused of 'slippery methods'. I'm sure IMHO, that the outcome of Suthep's Impeachment request, isn't going to be unique to him.

The phrase 'when you're caught' seems to have more relevance in Thailand IMHO. I believe there's a lot waiting to surface, for both colours.

Agree. let's start the clean-up before Thaksin closes down the NACC.

I agree with the NACC concerning Suthep because I don't wear glasses. I can see!

Now the rest.... Let's see if you also agree when PT/UDD including Thaksin get punishments etc.. Let's see if you are going to blame it on the court or whatever/whoever in stead of agreeing with the order. (I think I have already seen the answer in other posts)

Now the problem is this should have been done long ago - I mean this guy manged to get the Chuan Leekpai kicked out back in '95. If you honestly believe the courts as they stand now and since the coup have been without political leaning and interference from both within and without of the political sphere I would say you and I are never going to agree on anything regarding Thai politics.

Two obvious points - how many yellow shirt leaders / supporters / hangers on have been jailed for offences they have been found guilty of since the coup?

How many military personnel have even been sent to court since the coup?

Do you sense a pattern there?

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

1995 Corruption Scandal

[edit]2011 Elections

Sorry "Red" taking the high ground in what respect?

Is that comment levelled at my post?! Please indicate the bias in what I wrote... I'm getting fed up with the constant assigning of colours to every single post, it's nonsensical. Get a grip this isn't a boxing match it's a political parody of greed and corruption, by all means pick a side if you want to...

"Suthep said, "I should call it quits from politics and go back to raise my grandchildren."

Because the wolves are at the door for my dodgy son and he'll most probably be doing a stretch in the nick. They haven't got anything on him yet but they will because as the old saying goes "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" biggrin.png

Now the problem is this should have been done long ago - I mean this guy manged to get the Chuan Leekpai kicked out back in '95. If you honestly believe the courts as they stand now and since the coup have been without political leaning and interference from both within and without of the political sphere I would say you and I are never going to agree on anything regarding Thai politics.

Two obvious points - how many yellow shirt leaders / supporters / hangers on have been jailed for offences they have been found guilty of since the coup?

IMO the military should be rewarded for what they did/do. Without them the country would slide into chaos. They fortunately (almost) got rid of a ruthless, corrupt, convicted, (now) on the run criminal.

The term "as bad as" often comes from you. You always have examples of bad DEMS. Please give me some examples of PT/UDD people that should be banned. No double standards.

FYI, I don't care if the whole DEM/AV etc will be banned because I DON'T support any party/group.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

IMO the military should be rewarded for what they did/do. .

How far back into history are we going here Nicky?

Read before you post and you could have concluded that yourself. 2006

Obviously civility is not your strong point. That's OK. It isn't mine either - <deleted>. smile.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

Obviously civility is not your strong point. That's OK. It isn't mine either - <deleted>. smile.png

Thanks. FY2. wink.png

BTW, what is a <deleted>?

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

IMO the military should be rewarded for what they did/do. Without them the country would slide into chaos. They fortunately (almost) got rid of a ruthless, corrupt, convicted, (now) on the run criminal.

The term "as bad as" often comes from you. You always have examples of bad DEMS. Please give me some examples of PT/UDD people that should be banned. No double standards.

FYI, I don't care if the whole DEM/AV etc will be banned because I DON'T support any party/group.

Well if that was the case you wouldn't have bothered arguing with me and if you really think that the "military should be rewarded for what they did/do" I have nothing more to say to you after this:

Are you not aware of the number of people of the red persuasion that have been, currently are still in, and future visitors to the Jail System. Are you not aware of the 80 plus people dead and over 2000 injured. I do not need to give examples of bad red shirts PTP etc - Public opinion, the judges and the military have already done their jobs on that.

That is why I need to refer to bad dems, bad yellow shirts, bad security forces etc because nothing has been done about them....................

• Like 1

Well if that was the case you wouldn't have bothered arguing with me and if you really think that the "military should be rewarded for what they did/do" I have nothing more to say to you after this:

Are you not aware of the number of people of the red persuasion that have been, currently are still in, and future visitors to the Jail System. Are you not aware of the 80 plus people dead and over 2000 injured. I do not need to give examples of bad red shirts PTP etc - Public opinion, the judges and the military have already done their jobs on that.

That is why I need to refer to bad dems, bad yellow shirts, bad security forces etc because nothing has been done about them....................

Who made all those jailed people do the things they did? Who told them to burn buildings and fight the army? Who allowed them to terrorize Thailand for months. Come on man. You are not convincing me.

BTW, can you give me some examples of bad UDD/PT people. Just your opinion. Simple as that.

Edited by Nickymaster

Having had a truly bad day your reply had me laughing at loud, great response and deserved thumbsup.gif

• Like 1