Penang via rail/bus info?

dlfisher

Hey Folks,

After much questions and great answers, looks like Penang is my best shot. Thus, I reckon to take a train (plane is out of the question) as far south as I can, then bus/van it on to Penang. Anyboody have any experiences or know of a previous posting thread I can follow to get the best insight.

I'm guessing the regular Thai owned service doesn't cross into Malaysia, but perhaps I would be plesantly surprised and find otherwise.

Any cheap, but clean hotel recommendations?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David Fisher

There is daily train service from Bangkok to Butterworth (which is across the bay from Georgetown, Penang).  When you cross border you go through immigration and should buy some Malay money.  You arrive in Butterworth early afternoon and walk to ferry (keep left) and pay small change to use ferry.  On Georgetown side you can take taxi or pedicab or walk to hotels just about directly ahead (bargain fares).  Lebuh Chulia is the road you want and will lead to many low price guesthouse type places and middle range Cathay Hotel and Waldorf next door popular for low priced accommodations in about 500 baht range (both on Lebuh Leith which is a side street to the right).  One block further is a main road, Jalan Penang with most of the upper middle class hotels in about 1,000 baht range.  There is also bus service to Penang from Hat Yai, Thailand and share taxi service.  You can probably have someone on Chulia road obtain visa for you for the price of taxi to do it yourself.  Thai Consulate is a long distance from hotels so most would not want to walk it, but it could be done.  Also bus service is good in Penang but you would have to have some idea where to get off as Consulate is on a side street in a residential area.  Consulate will only accept visa applications in the morning so if you do it yourself it will probably be too late if you arrive on train to do it the same day.  They provide visa the next afternoon.  Probably too late to catch the train so you might want to share taxi or bus/van to Hat Yai in Thailand and catch late bus or stay overnight in Hat Yai (cheaper for better hotels rooms than Penang).

Well, I got the train ticket, but could only get as far as Hat Yai by train. The remainder to Butterworth seems to be sold out. Also, from what I gathered reading the previous posting, if I took the train all the way to Butterworth, it would add a day. Do you, or whoever might be reading, have experience grabbing a van from Hat Yai to Penang. Just curious. Since I get into Hat Yai in the early hours, I am hoping to get on down there in time to get myb application turned in and be on the way back by Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks again for any information.

David

Not positive if any of the vans will make it in time although there is supposed to be van leaving early (touts at railway station will take you there but they greatly overcharge from last reports I have seen).  The only time I was in a rush got tired of waiting for it to leave and used the share taxi service from next to King's Hotel.  They go direct to consulate and wait for you and then take you into hotel area.  Do the return trip the next day.  They try to fill car with six but not too bad and only a few hours anyhow.  Remember, Malaysia is an hour ahead so you don't have a whole lot of time.  Taxi probably has a visa service in house if you are late.