Safety Measures For Foreign Tourists In Thailand To Be Stepped Up

webfact

representatives from hospitals which are popular among Middle East visitors would be invited to a discussion following complaints from tourists that their medical charges are too high.

You have got to be sh*tting me?!?!?!?!....In the first place what the hell does that have to do with the security of tourist, and just who the hell cares about the M.E. ( I use that abbreviation because I cannot come up with vulgar enough language to truly depict what I think of these animals) tossers who cannot afford the incredibly inexpensive and high quality medical services available here??!?!?!?!

(While your opting screams a bit of racism...) I do agree that "safety of tourists" and "cost of medical tourism" are totally unrelated issues. If you don't like the prices, don't come here to "shop". It's a free country and Thai hospitals can charge whatever they damned well want, IMHO.

also arn't these 'middle eastern visitors' getting themselves medically insured before they arrive? probably for some mysterious reason known to

themselves they expect free health care?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to miss the comment concerning medical cost rip off of farangs. I recently went to Bangkok Hospital for second opinion and they wanted to do 200,000 BAHT surgery the next day to remove bones in my hand. Medical is turning into the big legal rip off for tourists at least in Bangkok. Not true here in Udon Thani where no seperate pricing for Thai and Farang.

Private hospitals are a business and has always been a business. $7000 for surgery is nothing compared to the west, where just a visit to doctor costs $300

A friend of mine got into a serious motorcycle accident. He went to Bangkok Hospital Samui, which may be the most expensive hospital in Thailand. He then trasnferred to Thai International, where he was told by a surgeon that the same doctors work at both hospitals. The cost was 55% less, for virtually everything. He was quoted 1,350,000 baht for one operation on his leg at Bangkok Samui Hospital. A complicated procedure. He then went to Bangkok. He checked a local, private hospital, and was quoted 460,000 baht for the same procedure. One of the surgeons took pity on him, and told him he would look into doing the procedure at a public hospital. Same surgeon, and good facilities. He was quoted 46,000 baht, which he went forward with, and the results were fine. So, it pays to shop around, and I would advise avoiding BHS at all costs, unless it is a simple exam. Also BHS will not allow you the option of NOT BUYING prescriptions at their drugstore, which charges 100-200% more than the local pharmacies. That alone is a good reason to not use their services. As close as you can get to a mafia type hospital, though having said that, it is an excellent hospital, if money is not an object.

wow thats approx £27,000 !!!! who actually pays this sort of money, does it get hundreds of farang patients? where does it get its day to day operating funds from? how does it manage to survive and prosper??

Everyone seems to miss the comment concerning medical cost rip off of farangs. I recently went to Bangkok Hospital for second opinion and they wanted to do 200,000 BAHT surgery the next day to remove bones in my hand. Medical is turning into the big legal rip off for tourists at least in Bangkok. Not true here in Udon Thani where no seperate pricing for Thai and Farang.

Private hospitals are a business and has always been a business. $7000 for surgery is nothing compared to the west, where just a visit to doctor costs $300

A friend of mine got into a serious motorcycle accident. He went to Bangkok Hospital Samui, which may be the most expensive hospital in Thailand. He then trasnferred to Thai International, where he was told by a surgeon that the same doctors work at both hospitals. The cost was 55% less, for virtually everything. He was quoted 1,350,000 baht for one operation on his leg at Bangkok Samui Hospital. A complicated procedure. He then went to Bangkok. He checked a local, private hospital, and was quoted 460,000 baht for the same procedure. One of the surgeons took pity on him, and told him he would look into doing the procedure at a public hospital. Same surgeon, and good facilities. He was quoted 46,000 baht, which he went forward with, and the results were fine. So, it pays to shop around, and I would advise avoiding BHS at all costs, unless it is a simple exam. Also BHS will not allow you the option of NOT BUYING prescriptions at their drugstore, which charges 100-200% more than the local pharmacies. That alone is a good reason to not use their services. As close as you can get to a mafia type hospital, though having said that, it is an excellent hospital, if money is not an object.

wow thats approx £27,000 !!!! who actually pays this sort of money, does it get hundreds of farang patients? where does it get its day to day operating funds from? how does it manage to survive and prosper??

I had a 6 hour shoulder surgery at Bangkok hospital Bangkok which cost me around 330000 baht which included private room and nurse. Same surgey in Oz is 500000 baht but No private room or nurse.

I have 3 tiny scars which can not even see( only feel) and if you know where to touch, while a mate of mine had the same surgery at Thai hospital for 120000baht.

His entire shoulder was sliced and diced. While the end result is the same, I have a "nice looking" shoulder while his is something out of Freddy Krugger movies

Edited by phl

representatives from hospitals which are popular among Middle East visitors would be invited to a discussion following complaints from tourists that their medical charges are too high.

You have got to be sh*tting me?!?!?!?!....In the first place what the hell does that have to do with the security of tourist, and just who the hell cares about the M.E. ( I use that abbreviation because I cannot come up with vulgar enough language to truly depict what I think of these animals) tossers who cannot afford the incredibly inexpensive and high quality medical services available here??!?!?!?!

(While your opting screams a bit of racism...) I do agree that "safety of tourists" and "cost of medical tourism" are totally unrelated issues. If you don't like the prices, don't come here to "shop". It's a free country and Thai hospitals can charge whatever they damned well want, IMHO.

also arn't these 'middle eastern visitors' getting themselves medically insured before they arrive? probably for some mysterious reason known to

themselves they expect free health care?

Several of the Middle Eastern embassies have contracts with various hospitals for the bills to be sent to the Embassy for them to settle directly. There was a story a while ago about one of the embassies complaining that the bills had been padded.

I think this is the nature of some of the complaints.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/uae-embassy-forced-to-find-alternative-hospitals-for-emiratis-in-bangkok-1.679541

Goodness, you guys are scaring me!

I will be visiting Thailand from the 7th August for 2-3weeks. How do I avoid all these things?! I haven't the money to be having police scam me or anyone else for that matter. A couple of dollars here and there I can tolerate, but not frequent or large fines etc.

If I just go to cheap places and don't engage in all the expensive tourist stuff will I be okay?

I don't plan on riding jet skis or any expensive stuff, I might not even use a scooter if the risk of fines by corrupt police is high.

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

Don't do what you see Thai people do ahd think it applies to you. Just follow the laws as they are written. Like wearing a helmut and don't drink and drive. But mark my words in 3 weeks you will get stopped only because of the color of your skin. And don't talk back when you are stopped. Just smile, pay the 500 baht (20 dollars) and go on your merry way. You'll have a good time. All of us on here complain because we live here and have just been here to long and have seen it all. For you, just have fun and get laid

helmut is German, helmet is a protectve device

check the exchange rate

keep your helmet protected too

A bit confusing story I just read on the Dutch news site http://www.nu.nl

"A 19 year-old Nederlands tourist girl has been raped in Thailand last Saturday night after a night on town

After a fight with her friend the woman walked back to her 'restingplace' on the Isle of Krabi when she was attacked. Police looks for a 30 year old man from SuratThani and hopes to be able to apprehend him soon, Thai media report.

The victim was also hit after a verbal exchange in a bar in Ao Nang. Around 4AM bystanders, who came to help her, have brought her to the police station and hospital, the last where she has been treated

She has been released from hospital on Sunday. The Nederlands Embassy has been informed"

(even faulty as it may be the translation is mine, orginal Dutch article here

http://www.nu.nl/bin...n-thailand.html )

Edited by rubl

Seriously man, where are you from and just how much Thai do you speak. I have travelled over most of Thailand and yes, many people don't speak anything other than Thai, but most people don't need to. Then there is also a huge number of people that speak English and also many other languages as well. If you are married to a Thai then there surely is one that speaks two languages. Be fair when you comment about this as there are more Thais than can speak English than there are English speakers that can speak Thai.

Who the h$$ll is speaking in this country more than two languages(except issan and Thai )????and what they would be willing to pay them???? As my old father was always saying: first thinking- then talking .

A long time hooker can speak quite a few languages.

Boom, boom and love you long time qualifies as English.

Does anyone remember when the most annoying part of Thailand was the Indian tailors and the street sellers. Now its the rapists, muggers, rip off artists, over prices taxis ect ect ect