Illegal Transnational Dog Trader Caught In Nakhon Phanom, 700 Dogs Rescued

george

Theyre of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures.

Did you not see the collars on some of the dogs in the cages? I don't think they are all soi dogs.

That opens another door to where did they come from in the first place. Were people given official permission to round the strays up and how much was paid for each dog? Where did the money go if that is the case. Or did someone take it off their own back to round them up themselves? 700 dogs is a lot of rounding up if you're doing it illegally!

I would imagine. Had to add that before some smart@ss asks how I know....................thumbsup.gif

There are pickups running around all over the place picking them up and I imagine delivering them to a central point. Some of the dogs would have been sold to them by the owners.I have been told that my black dog would fetch more than 2000 baht over the border and the white one around 800 baht.They are not for sale at any price.

Are the dogs gonna be released on the streets again?bah.gif

You would hope not.

Disagreeing with GK here (in an earlier post), but Euthanasia will be the final solution for the majority of these rescued animals. This is where medical sense overtakes the religious view that nothing should be killed.

There will be a percentage of these put up for adoption, but for those with ailments, the cheapest and most humane solution will be Euthanasia.

Edited for clarity

Edited by chrisinth

Theyre of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures.

Did you not see the collars on some of the dogs in the cages? I don't think they are all soi dogs.

That opens another door to where did they come from in the first place. Were people given official permission to round the strays up and how much was paid for each dog? Where did the money go if that is the case. Or did someone take it off their own back to round them up themselves? 700 dogs is a lot of rounding up if you're doing it illegally!

I would imagine. Had to add that before some smart@ss asks how I know....................thumbsup.gif

There are pickups running around all over the place picking them up and I imagine delivering them to a central point. Some of the dogs would have been sold to them by the owners.I have been told that my black dog would fetch more than 2000 baht over the border and the white one around 800 baht.They are not for sale at any price.

Same as my dogs Ron, not for any price! That said, they don't run the streets.

My point in that post was whether the gathering of the dogs is legal or is it government sponsored. I know that here in Phits, if you have a problem with soi dogs, you can get in touch with the municipality and they will arrange for the dogs to be rounded up (if enough complaints have been made).

So, do the dogs source from the government, or is it an illegal operation? I am curious as I don't know the answer to this.

You would hope not.

Disagreeing with GK here, but Euthanasia will be the final solution for the majority of these rescued animals. This is where medical sense overtakes the religious view that nothing should be killed.

There will be a percentage of these put up for adoption, but for those with ailments, the cheapest and most humane solution will be Euthanasia.

Yes you are right that Euthanasia is the most humane solution.It is a sad state of affairs but there does not appear to be any other solution for the ones who are not adopted out.

Euthanasia is not a real option in Thailand. For those of you that have not had the unfortunate experience of having to put your dog down in Thailand, please know that most Vet's WILL NOT euthanize your pet. Most of the have religious issues with the process and will not perform the task. You literally have to search your whole town to find the one vet that does.

You would hope not.

Disagreeing with GK here, but Euthanasia will be the final solution for the majority of these rescued animals. This is where medical sense overtakes the religious view that nothing should be killed.

Yes you are right that Euthanasia is the most humane solution.It is a sad state of affairs but there does not appear to be any other solution for the ones who are not adopted out.

we had a dog in europe. a red cockerspaniel with an impressive pedigree, and a very very pretty dog.

he would bite. not attack on the street, but do so, without warning, when people tried to touch him - what would always happen, as he was such a cute dog.

he would also break out, for reasons we couldnt figure out how he did...

things escalated, when he bite a girl (very pretty one too) into the face.

no breader and not a single animal shelter was willing to take him - for free.

because he had bitten once - that was enough.

for dogs that bite, there is only one option. may he RIP.

thai dogs cant be given for adoption, as approx 95 % of them do bite.

Until all local governments implement a program to fix these animals from breeding out of control, this is the best thing Thailand has, in my opinion.

Of course if there was such programs we would not have to ever discuss this subject. Until then, all of you people that think catching these animals and sending them off to be on a dinner plate is inhumane, lets look at it another way. 99% of these dogs have never been vaccinated for anything, weather wearing a color or not. So 98% percent of them will live a short pain full life. Not to mention most of the animals live on or very close to roads, eating any trash they can scavenger. Many if not the vast majority die slowly of food poisoning, being hit by vehicles, skin cancer, or a host of other things. That being said how, many innocent people end up in the hospital or killed by hitting these dogs on motorbike or even cars. I would bet many, that thought, how disgusting to allow dogs to be eaten, have changed their tune after spending some time in the hospital or lost loved ones after a tragic accident involving a stray dog.

As every time, this subject comes to TV. I would encourage any of these people catching dogs and exporting them to other countries, come to Rayong, Klaeng district and fill your trucks. PM me I will give exact locations.

And yes I have dogs, vaccinated, trained, fed, fixed and happy to stay on the property.

• Like 1

I love dogs too...and in a way...agree with posts 5, 6 & 7.

However...until something positive and humane is done

I recommend that the driver and future drivers caught

are also put into a good sized cage along with the dogs

he was transporting. I reckon within a few minutes that

feller will be spilling his guts as to who hired him, who

the "boss" is etc....then stronger legal action can be

taken or started...depending on how hungry the dogs are

of course....just a paws for thought.

I like your thinking.

Thanks Ron...

I have it on good authority this tactic works 100%...100% of the time.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I don't know what kind of animal protection laws Thailand has, but if there any laws such an overpopulated dogs rescue centre would probably violate its regulation like square meters per animal per cage.

Harder law enforcement and border controls would probably catch more dog smugglers and would result in more dogs being rescued.

They should make these kind of dog trade legal along with some regulation how to transport them properly like there are regulation for chicken, pigs and cattle trade.

It should never ever be made legal, because of where the dogs come from. The penalties for trafficking should be as grim as possible. Chicken, pigs and cattle are, I would assert, not routinely pinched from family homes.

we had a dog in europe. a red cockerspaniel with an impressive pedigree, and a very very pretty dog.

he would bite. not attack on the street, but do so, without warning, when people tried to touch him - what would always happen, as he was such a cute dog.

What about moronic, obnoxious fiends that lie stupidly in their driveways, yelping and moaning, day and night? The revolting, inhuman dog traffickers stole our beautiful, intelligent, friendly, well-mannered dog, but left the crowd of defective mental cases behind, to menace the neighbourhood. <deleted> appalling. :(

Much as I love dogs, there's really no point in keeping 2,000 of them alive in permanent captivity. It's not even fair on the dogs. They should check them for identifying collars or chips, which would identify stolen pets. Pick out any that might be suitable for re-homing. Kill and dispose of the rest.

Euthanasia is not an option. I have no idea why there is such moral resistance, yet there is a tacit acceptance of inhumane practices.

Dog culls in Patong are alleged to have involved beating the dogs and burying them alive.

So what do you suggest turn them all loose into the sois to scavage through rubbish and defacate everywhere causing potential health risks to people?

What about moronic, obnoxious fiends that lie stupidly in their driveways, yelping and moaning, day and night? The revolting, inhuman dog traffickers stole our beautiful, intelligent, friendly, well-mannered dog, but left the crowd of defective mental cases behind, to menace the neighbourhood. <deleted> appalling. :(

Well, if they would take my neighbours dogs who he religiously let's out of the front gate every morning and evening to crap and generally chase cars, bikes and terrorise my kids, I wouldn't lose a moments sleep.

• Like 2

There are estimated (on the low side) 300,000 stray dogs in Bangkok alone. More than that number of those insidious stray cats.

IMHO if the Vietnamese have a taste for the delicacy of dog and cat then by all means Thais should rid the country of their strays and profit by it.

"They're of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures"

If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health. Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others.

The dog with a collar may well be owned but was it a "pet on the loose" allowed to roam the street freely because its owner is not responsible enough to take good care of it and keep it behind a locked gate. My dog doesn't have a collar, so by your logic it is a soi dog. You couldn't be more wrong. I was always taught never to collar a dog until you take it outside of your property on a leash. Let the owner of the collared dog grieve but blame themselves for their own stupidity that allowed the loss of their pet.

"If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health"

That's faulty logic. a person with clothes can easily be homeless or without family.

Although you could be correct as its been said many times, these dogs are also bought form owners and others/thieves. But realistically the odds are the dog is another of the countless millions of rejected dogs. They were cute when they were puppies but not cute enough to keep so they end up on the street - with a collar and in better health.

There is a local crematorium near my home full of these dogs. We go to feed them 1 or 2 times a week. I would estimate that there is a new dog there every other week. Most still have their collar and are in ok health. I will also make a point that many of the other dogs there have been given collars with bells to find them or know where they are. We are not the only ones to go there and feed them so the dogs are fairly well-fed and in good health.

"Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others"

This came from your mind, not from our actions

There are estimated (on the low side) 300,000 stray dogs in Bangkok alone. More than that number of those insidious stray cats.

IMHO if the Vietnamese have a taste for the delicacy of dog and cat then by all means Thais should rid the country of their strays and profit by it.

"They're of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures"

"If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health". Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others.

May I suggest that along with your feeding regime that you take some to be sterilized. I understand that there is also a contraceptive that can be mixed with their food. If you don't do something in this regard you'll end up bring many unwanted puppies into the world. Well fed dogs breed better then poorly fed ones.

Well done for saving these dogs, Let us hope this brutal trade will eventually be stamped out.

Well done for saving these dogs, Let us hope this brutal trade will eventually be stamped out.

Agree but won't be holding my breath.
Yes, 9 nine months later and they're still at it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637785-thai-police-rescue-1300-caged-dogs-from-smugglers/

Collars maybe, owned maybe, but if they were "pets on the loose" let out of the gate to self-exercise themselves then they are still soi dogs in my opinion. No dog should be on public property unless leashed. You don't leave your car parked, unlocked, with the key in the ignition on the public street. To do so would be considered irresponsible and "your own fault" if it got stolen. Same goes for your dog.

I don't know what kind of animal protection laws Thailand has, but if there any laws such an overpopulated dogs rescue centre would probably violate its regulation like square meters per animal per cage.

Harder law enforcement and border controls would probably catch more dog smugglers and would result in more dogs being rescued.

They should make these kind of dog trade legal along with some regulation how to transport them properly like there are regulation for chicken, pigs and cattle trade.

It should never ever be made legal, because of where the dogs come from. The penalties for trafficking should be as grim as possible. Chicken, pigs and cattle are, I would assert, not routinely pinched from family homes.
Very much doubt that any of the dogs referred to in this thread were "pinched from family homes". I'd bet most, owned or otherwise, were all on public property not private.