Has The Smiling Thing Always Been Around

SammieT

Well, one academic argues the genealogy for this trope is from a smiling air hostess picture of Thai airways from decades ago.... But a Thammasat prof specifically refutes this, claiming it goes far back.

But the Thai was only fabricated a couple of centuries back and there must necessarily be benign western contact to get that image so it can't be too old....

I would imagine it goes as far back as the first Thai encountering a non native and non Thai speaking person - cannot communicate - Smile...worth a thousand words!!

They had beer bars even back then ?...

You quoted the wrong Scotsman!!laugh.png ^^

I would imagine it goes as far back as the first Thai encountering a non native and non Thai speaking person - cannot communicate - Smile...worth a thousand words!!

It has been around for some 12 000 years, so I guess yes.

Well, one academic argues the genealogy for this trope is from a smiling air hostess picture of Thai airways from decades ago.... But a Thammasat prof specifically refutes this, claiming it goes far back.

But the Thai was only fabricated a couple of centuries back and there must necessarily be benign western contact to get that image so it can't be too old....

Mmmmmmmm ........

I have the impression that people living in the tropical regions smile more, Westerners too.

People smile less if the density of population is high, but it can related more generally on a harmonious daily living..

Some rainy day, when not even the dogs in the alley are smiling, i see flocks of tourists grinning and giggling, well, they are on holiday after all.smile.png

Personally, I think it's nice. In fact, I often smile first, and have never failed to get a smile back.

I agree as even in Phuket its very rare for a smile not be returned.

It happens (a couple of times to me), but pretty much anywhere you live, a smile will be returned.

Here in Thailand, I think smiling is 'socially' correct (i.e. its wrong to look sad or bad-tempered), so yes - the smile thing has been around for a long time.

Germans developed the beer and 12.000 years ago we jumped from tree to tree fight the bear....

Germans developed the beer and 12.000 years ago we jumped from tree to tree fight the bear....

And drank beers according to Semper

the other theory is that its a nice country to live in, Russians and English all look pretty miserable often to do with climate, long winters etc, Thai are v smiley

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what this means but I Iike it

Thanks guys

Ignorance is bliss... and with innocent ignorance there is less worry, less concern... its easier to be happy. I see more smiles in the developing nations.

Perhaps one of the negative aspects a universally better education is that in the more developed nations we are always thinking about something, always stressed, always planning, always thinking...

• Like 1

Ignorance is bliss... and with innocent ignorance there is less worry, less concern... its easier to be happy. I see more smiles in the developing nations.

Perhaps one of the negative aspects a universally better education is that in the more developed nations we are always thinking about something, always stressed, always planning, always thinking...

So basically you're saying that the happier you are the dumber you are ?

And drank beers according to Semper

I got thought that christian monks developed the beer, so they have something during the time they shouldn't eat.

So it must be pretty young, much less than 2000 years.

So basically you're saying that the happier you are the dumber you are ?

Not quite - Just that a simpler life leads to fewer worries.

Personally, I think it's nice. In fact, I often smile first, and have never failed to get a smile back.

+1 Some day more than hundred times and for some people I took time for years to get smile back.

Walk around UK smiling at everyone and pretty soon you'll be classed as a Funny Farm candidiate.

Unless you're watching an olympic cycling event apparently - where the police get v concerned if you're not looking happy!

But otherwise, I agree with you.

Walk around UK smiling at everyone and pretty soon you'll be classed as a Funny Farm candidiate.

Unless you're watching an olympic cycling event apparently - where the police get v concerned if you're not looking happy!

But otherwise, I agree with you.

Note to self

Learn to spell candidate.biggrin.png