Conscription Of Your Son

Dibbler

Surely the Thai military must rank amognst that elite group of national defense forces who have killed more of their own citizens than they have foreign 'enemies'.

There are quite a few others I can think of when civil war is happening.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely the Thai military must rank amognst that elite group of national defense forces who have killed more of their own citizens than they have foreign 'enemies'.

and how many by accident ?

Very contentious. Do you have figures?

They in fact fought in Vietnam with distinction. The soldiers that fought there were the Tiger Battallion and I would say killed more enemy than civilians.
  • Like 1

Go back to the protests in 2010, how many Thai citizens were killed by their own countrymen at the orders of Thai generals/elite etc?

On topic heres a scenario- 1 son gets conscripted and has orders to snipe/shoot my other son who is wearing a red shirt and protesting peacefully in downtown Bangkok 2010.

No i would not let my son go in theThai army, i would educate him otherwise.

Granted the soi dog wasters with little education and motivation would find conscription beneficial.

• Like 1

Granted the soi dog wasters with little education and motivation would find conscription beneficial.

Oh dear more elitism being shown here....so what your saying you son should not go and do his duty required for his country, but the "Soi dogs" as you eloquantly call them should because its good for them...sad.png ....therefore discriminating against the soi dogs because they have not been afforded a decent education and somehow they are a lower social class than yourself ?

Wow farangs rant and rave on TV about eliteism, the ruling classed being treated differently, disrimination but now want the same thing because its to your advantage.....where I come from this is called hypocrisy

• Like 2

Those were not real Thais, they were probably Burmese and Cambodians masquerading as Thais. The Thai Army love you long time.

Its tongue in cheek remark GH made....do you guys always need to 'smiley' so you can understand the tone of a comment ?

They in fact fought in Vietnam with distinction. The soldiers that fought there were the Tiger Battallion and I would say killed more enemy than civilians.

So you had to think about it, or do some research huh ?

Always a good idea to kill the enemy first.

Its tongue in cheek remark GH made....do you guys always need to 'smiley' so you can understand the tone of a comment ?

You felt the need to explain that ?

If your son, blood son and not step son, cannot get into the military academies to possibly rise to the highest level he could possibly achieve and if he could not join the police academy to do like wise and eventually create a never ending stream of cash flow, then why should we be ok for him to be conscripted ?

That is if the statements in this thread are correct about a half thai child not being allowed into the elite.

God help if he became a prime minister.

I'm afraid that the aforesaid statements are a load of old knob.

The only rigid bar to certain trades / ranks / appointments would be a failure to be security cleared for same. There are certain jobs that are considered to be too sensitive for people who do not have anywhere from chuea-chat Thai (Thai extraction), both parents being Thai, both grandparents being Thai, or even both great-grandparents being Thai, whilst there are many trades / jobs / postings / appointments that are open to anyone with a National ID card which states their chuea-chat (extraction) as being Thai, as any loog-krueng should have.

No different in the UK Armed forces, who are stricter about this than many might think.

And to muse idly, it would take virtually a whole career for someone to become Surpreme Commander of any service branch after passing out from the unofficially pre-requisite Armed Forces Preparatory Academy and by then (if you start counting now) Thailand could be a very different place.

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this but the Royal Thai Police Academy website is on the blink.

Entrance requirement No. 3 for the general public to attend the academy: มีสัญชาติไทยโดยกำเนิด และบิดามารดามีสัญชาติไทยโดยกำเนิด แต่ถ้าบิดาเป็นนายทหารสัญญาบัตร หรือเป็นข้าราชการตำรวจซึ่งมีสัญชาติไทยโดยการเกิดแล้วมารดาจะมิใช่เป็นผู้ มีสัญชาติไทยโดยการเกิดก็ได้ (apologies for using Thai but it is a direct quote from the facebook page of the academy). If the mods need to remove the Thai, please do so, but I feel it makes the point more valid). Roughly it says, "be Thai by birth and father and mother must also be Thai by birth, however, if the father is a commissioned officer in the armed forces or a policeman of Thai nationality by birth, the mother does not need to be of Thai nationaility by birth".

For the armed forces, I will check but I believe it is an internal regulation.

If your son, blood son and not step son, cannot get into the military academies to possibly rise to the highest level he could possibly achieve and if he could not join the police academy to do like wise and eventually create a never ending stream of cash flow, then why should we be ok for him to be conscripted ?

That is if the statements in this thread are correct about a half thai child not being allowed into the elite.

The only rigid bar to certain trades / ranks / appointments would be a failure to be security cleared for same. There are certain jobs that are considered to be too sensitive for people who do not have anywhere from chuea-chat Thai (Thai extraction), both parents being Thai, both grandparents being Thai, or even both great-grandparents being Thai, whilst there are many trades / jobs / postings / appointments that are open to anyone with a National ID card which states their chuea-chat (extraction) as being Thai, as any loog-krueng should have.

No different in the UK Armed forces, who are stricter about this than many might think.

And to muse idly, it would take virtually a whole career for someone to become Surpreme Commander of any service branch after passing out from the unofficially pre-requisite Armed Forces Preparatory Academy and by then (if you start counting now) Thailand could be a very different place.

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this but the Royal Thai Police Academy website is on the blink.

Entrance requirement No. 3 for the general public to attend the academy: มีสัญชาติไทยโดยกำเนิด และบิดามารดามีสัญชาติไทยโดยกำเนิด แต่ถ้าบิดาเป็นนายทหารสัญญาบัตร หรือเป็นข้าราชการตำรวจซึ่งมีสัญชาติไทยโดยการเกิดแล้วมารดาจะมิใช่เป็นผู้ มีสัญชาติไทยโดยการเกิดก็ได้ (apologies for using Thai but it is a direct quote from the facebook page of the academy). If the mods need to remove the Thai, please do so, but I feel it makes the point more valid). Roughly it says, "be Thai by birth and father and mother must also be Thai by birth, however, if the father is a commissioned officer in the armed forces or a policeman of Thai nationality by birth, the mother does not need to be of Thai nationaility by birth".

One might say Trembly's comments could be a load of old knobs.

One might say Trembly's comments could be a load of old knobs.

I dare say, if this rule was presented to the supreme court, it would be ruled uncontitutional. The court has already ruled that requirements for being an MP can not discriminate on the basis of the parents nationality (there were at one point higher educational standards required for MP's born to a foreign father) and thus threw out the requirement.

Suspect the same would happen here.

But until tested, it stands. I also understand the same applies to the internal regulations of the armed forces. Testing the police would be no big deal, I don't suppose, but I wouldn't fancy being the preson who tests the forces. I do not believe you would have a very comfortable existence or future career after taking them to court. What is needed is someone who has absolutely no intention of joining up filing a complaint with the courts.

My son picked out the red ball and was conscripted into the Thai army last November there are loop holes and bribes 35,000 baht was the sum banded around but this is only accepted before the picking of the balls

My son decided that he didn't want to burden us with this and took his chance saying if he was picked he quite fancied the adventure I for one had experience in the British army so let him make up his own mind

We where quite concerned when he picked out the red ball but after a talk with several high ranking army officers we where told new recruits are never sent to the far south

My son did his basic training and was picked probably because of his Hight ( 6 foot +) for the royal Thai horse guards and he loves it he now as part of his duties stands guard outside the royal palace true still only a grunt but he has the opportunity to learn a trade better him self and gets 300 baht a day and free lodging to boot

I for one have seen a tremendous change in his whole attitude to life he's become a better man and I'm proud of him

Well said you are a great addition to Thailand. Many Thai fathers claim the love of Thailand but do want their sons to be true Thais. They should be living with son in their home country if they do want the Army for their son

My friends Son Went back to Thailand to do his military service, after living in England from the age of 6. he was killed two days after arriving in Thailand , by a Motor bike. How do you think his mother feels now, also her husband died six weeks later of cancer, she is back in Thailand now putting the ashes of her Husband together with her Son.

My friends Son Went back to Thailand to do his military service, after living in England from the age of 6. he was killed two days after arriving in Thailand , by a Motor bike. How do you think his mother feels now, also her husband died six weeks later of cancer, she is back in Thailand now putting the ashes of her Husband together with her Son.

So your friend's son's death, while hugely regrettable, had nothing whatever to do with military service? He was killed in a motorbike accident.

Go back to the protests in 2010, how many Thai citizens were killed by their own countrymen at the orders of Thai generals/elite etc?

On topic heres a scenario- 1 son gets conscripted and has orders to snipe/shoot my other son who is wearing a red shirt and protesting peacefully in downtown Bangkok 2010.

What a terrible possible sorry state of affairs to find your sons forced to fight against each other against their will.

I don't have any kids but if I did have a son and he was half Thai I would let them make up their own minds.

They're at that age where they should be starting to make their own decisions in life. If they pick a red ball then they will man the hell up, serve the 2 years and do his duty. However if he really didn't want to go for whatever reason, I would pay whatever bribe it was. It would be his choice.

Maybe you will think differently when you do have kids. Personally, I will always be a father to my son, and that means guidance. You are right at the age or conscription they are their own people, but it does not end there. Regardless if my son was 13 or 33 and was becoming addicted to drugs, I would step in and help even if it was against his will. People and children make bad decisions sometimes and I could not just let the car crash happen.

Would you not say anything if your 18 year old son was riding a motorbike wearing just shorts? Maybe your 18 year old daughter wanted to go to Syria on a peace mission, or Saudi Arabia with just some bikini bottoms.

As for 'man the hell up' I hope that you can practice what you preach. If you were told to shoot and kill someone because they were a demonstrator that posed not real threat to anyone you would be able to do so and have a clear conscience.

• Like 1

I actually think young people benefit from a spell in the forces, especially in a morally redundant and ethically corrupt place such as Thailand where all men are basically still sucking on their mummas tit. However, in a place like Thailand there is no way any son of mine would get involved in it all. What lessons will he learn? Who would he associate with? It's all bad all the way. If my son wanted to do it I would advise him to go to a real country and do it there and not in an abortion of a country like this.

• Like 1

I take your point Samran,

But, why would anyone enter a proffesion, knowing that because of his father being a farang, he could never hold a senior position.

Hold on minute, we are discussing two different aspects....this is about call up/national service...someone who has aspirations to become a General would be voluteering and going to a miltary academy and becoming a professional soldier (one hopes), National service duty is not a career path, it an obligation because you are citizen of that particluar country

My wife's cousin was conscripted into the navy. They liked him so much, they asked him to stay on, despite failing a medical He knew his way round a ship/boat blindfolded. He died earlier this year, having risen to the rank of captain, as my wife puts it on a big boat. He was given a military funeral, honour guard etc.. About 15 monks doing the religious aspect. The governer of Songkhla attended and gave a speexh on the guy's carreer. He was from a very poor background. So people with talent can suceed in the military

• Like 1

But I would doubt if the Thai army would let a dual citizen get high in the armed forces. National security and all that.

Same as every other country, even western countries were there are dual nationals involved, so Thailand no different in this regard, in fact it appears Thailand is more liberal in some respects, after all wasnt a previous Thai prime minster accused of being a British Citizen and holding a British PP ? cant get must higher office as a PM in country as regards national security..thumbsup.gif

I remember when i joined the royal australian navy i was not allowed to do my first choice of category training in communications(radar operator)because i hadn't lived in austalia for at least 10 years.

,I was 17 at the time

,it was 1982

and i was born in new zealand!!!!

So there are a lot of western countries who are scared of national security as well

So your friend's son's death, while hugely regrettable, had nothing whatever to do with military service? He was killed in a motorbike accident.

He returned for Military service...so it has plenty to do with it.

I actually think young people benefit from a spell in the forces, especially in a morally redundant and ethically corrupt place such as Thailand where all men are basically still sucking on their mummas tit.... If my son wanted to do it I would advise him to go to a real country and do it there and not in an abortion of a country like this.

So then, why are you here? If you do not want to have your son conscripted, fine. If you want to make a comment about how miserable the country and the people I love is...well I think you can go home if you like. I don't think that the Thai's invited you over. Other people on this forum seem to like Thailand just fine. Me included.

Won't be for long so don't worry sunny. Plus, in other countries they have a thing called free speech. Sure, it does not exist here because people don't like the idea of people challenging and not agreeing with their 15th century view of life. Can't see how anyone can actually believe they are integrated here unless they have given up on the morals and ethics of their home country upbringing. Lots of reasons to stay here but the biggest reason to leave is that basically you can not trust anyone. Word and contract means nothing. As for the army, they are no better than the millitary junta in Myanmar prior to them taking over and I would not at all be surprised if one day when they next have a coup they just stay in power. Then you will see how integrated you and the other farangs are here as you are hounded out of town. Military is a joke here. Not as bad as the politicians and the police but nearly there and all part of a big extortion racket.

Oh, and no, I am not and have never married / dated a bar girl. I am not a sex tourist. I do not hang out in or own a beer bar / gogo. Even the chinese has more business ethics than the typical Thai. So don't worry sunny, I'm out of here and will watch from afar as the next coup becomes a dictatorship and you all leave to home.

• Like 2