Condemned Police Officers, Two Others Freed On Bail: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes one wonder what was going through the Judges mind when he made this decision? These "men" have been sentenced to death, of course they're going to flee, of course they're going to take revenge on the witnesses....it's very sad!

It makes one wonder what was going through the Judges mind when he made this decision? These "men" have been sentenced to death, of course they're going to flee, of course they're going to take revenge on the witnesses....it's very sad!

You/I/we do not know what goes on behind the scenes. sad.png
  • Like 1

The cop wjo murdered the English couple in Kanchanaburi a few years ago is probably walking around a free man. Thai authorities refuse to confirm he is still incarcirated. thats a guy who shot the husband and then chased the wife in his car ran over her then shot her. Now probably free. Cops and plolotitions imune from punishment.

The guy did spit in his face.

Thais murdering farang is acceptable here.

I used to work with a guy who allegedlly threw his girlfriend off a balcony. By the time his trial came the guy was so beaten up he looked like another man.

You/I/we do not know what goes on behind the scenes. sad.png

Fabulous, public courts with behind the scenes.

Where do a few of you come from even in the states a murder defendant can be granted bail as well as a convicted murder awaiting appeal. This is more likely granted to someone of influence kind of the same as Thailand.

I know some who was accused of murder and they were locked up for a month awaiting the second bail hearing as the first was sandbagged by the district attorney. The bail amount was reduced 500,000dollars from 1 million when friends of the charged testified to his sterling character. Eventually the DA dropped the murder charge for lack of evidence but the ddefendant had to plead to a lesser charge of destroying evidence and it was finished as time served. The system is not perfect at home or in Thailand.

Exactly - this is similar to that famous footballer in the uSA who got off with murder.

The cop wjo murdered the English couple in Kanchanaburi a few years ago is probably walking around a free man. Thai authorities refuse to confirm he is still incarcirated. thats a guy who shot the husband and then chased the wife in his car ran over her then shot her. Now probably free. Cops and plolotitions imune from punishment.

The guy did spit in his face.

Thais murdering farang is acceptable here.

I used to work with a guy who allegedlly threw his girlfriend off a balcony. By the time his trial came the guy was so beaten up he looked like another man.

if i remember well, the english guy did punch the cop face.

Because the thai did behave improperly with the english lady...

the credibility goes down the toilet ... again ... like any other day

sick.gif

in other countries actions like that would create a breeding ground for some dangerous and radical individuals ... but not in the "mai-bpen-rai" state

Edited by Ricci

its not what is going through his mind , its whats going into his out held hands that counts.

What is so so sad is that the media in this country (and particularly TV and newspapers) don't even bat an eyelid. In a country that has any degree of democracy or is not faced with a dictatorship, good journalism often highlights and then prompts changes in bad systems/processes/laws etc. The pliable Thai journalists, editors and media owners should hang their head in shame...

• Like 1

What is so so sad is that the media in this country (and particularly TV and newspapers) don't even bat an eyelid. In a country that has any degree of democracy or is not faced with a dictatorship, good journalism often highlights and then prompts changes in bad systems/processes/laws etc. The pliable Thai journalists, editors and media owners should hang their head in shame...

Of course there is no investigative journalism into Police, Justice, politics and exposing all associated corruption. Where's the back bone and principals a journalist worth the name should have to find the truth and expose the sewer of Thailand? Nothing .

Edited by KKvampire

Agree with your comments about the media.

Unfortunately reporting, by Thai reporters, of a matter like this is a process. Listen to the words spoken by the judge, take a copy of any handout material and then put it into a 'story'. As you see again and again there are large gaps and many unanswered obvious questions, even conflicting information.

In almost all instances journalists / reporters don't quickly analyse what they have and quickly identify the gaps, don't identify the other facts or information needed to give a complete picture, and don't form and ask the questions that Jo public would want quickly answered.

They just don't ask questions (lots of reaons behind this). There is no such thing as investigative journalism. (Would you be brave enough to investigate a large number of Thai politicians, would you be brave enough to investigate senior police officers?)

On the other hand I've had dealings with the English language dailies, in terms of providing materials for their business pages. They arrived at my office, would not accept prepared literature (written profesionally with media in mind, on a thumb drive), insisted that we explain the research based concept etc., and barely listened to what was being said.

Then I asked if they would provide a draft so that I could be sure important details weren't missing or weren't explained the way my company wished. The journalists reaction - they were insulted that I was suggesting they cannot write English. My Thai staff and myself explained carefully that my comment was not about their English language abilities. Bottom line, they were insulted, left and deliberately didn't take the thumb drive.

A few days later the article appeared, full of mistakes and destroying the value of the research findings.

We withdrew from any further work with this newspaper.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Did I read this right?????

The Bangkok Criminal Court handed down the death penalty on Monday for the three senior police sergeant-majors in the murder of Kiattisak Thitboonkrong, 17,

Then

BANGKOK: -- Five policemen convicted of killing a teenage boy as part of a government crackdown on narcotics during the first Thaksin Shinawatra government were yesterday granted temporary releases on bail.

So on Monday you get the Death Penalty and on Tuesday your doing Happy hour with the boys down at the station house???

WOW and how was your day yesterday????? Geeez...TIT

There ought to be a law against Moron-Judges in this country ! ! !

I would hope that the Opposition will drag this affair into some Cabinet meeting very soon ! !

This is too absurd for words and this Judgement should be overturned forthwith ! ! !

post-4641-1156693976.gif

Here's how I would explain it: The court was compelled to find the men guilty of murder, because of firm evidence. The judges were compelled to sentence them. But the deal to let them off with just a reprimand had been agreed prior with police boss. Other factors, Thaksin (and in turn PT and Reds) would lose face if the executions were carried out, because it was T's quota system (in war against drugs) which inspired so many extrajudicial killings. It's in the record: more deaths required for larger population provinces and less deaths for smaller provinces - the directive handed down from CEO PM Thaksin.

......and there was likely a good deal of money slipped to the judge(s) who shat upon their benches.

They could get a boat to Australia or Sri Lanka.

Yes they could seek asylum in Australia, Australia won't send them back if they face execution. There is a boat leaving for Australia everyday.

This shows the Thai judiciary in a very bad light indeed. The judge should have considered what will happen to the 3 key witnesses, who are now living in fear and may well end up dead.

the teenage victim's aunt, Pikul Prohmchan, as saying she would seek to extend her enrolment in a witness protection programme now that the convicted killers have been set free.

I'm afraid that we might be killed before the convicts receive the capital punishment,” she said.

An Unidentified judge of the Bangkok Criminal Court ordered the execution of former senior sergeants Angkarn Kammoonna, 48, Sudtinan Noanting, 43, and Pansin Uppana, 42, after the were found guilty of premeditated murder and hiding a corpse.

http://www.southeastasiantimes.com/

Edited by chooka

This shows the Thai judiciary in a very bad light indeed. The judge should have considered what will happen to the 3 key witnesses, who are now living in fear and may well end up dead.

the teenage victim's aunt, Pikul Prohmchan, as saying she would seek to extend her enrolment in a witness protection programme now that the convicted killers have been set free.

I'm afraid that we might be killed before the convicts receive the capital punishment,” she said.

An Unidentified judge of the Bangkok Criminal Court ordered the execution of former senior sergeants Angkarn Kammoonna, 48, Sudtinan Noanting, 43, and Pansin Uppana, 42, after the were found guilty of premeditated murder and hiding a corpse.

http://www.southeastasiantimes.com/

This quote from the same news item is very interesting............

The committee’s report said: “On January 14, 2003 Thaksin chaired a meeting of provincial governors, police chiefs and heads of agencies and instructed them to wage all-out war on illicit drugs, classified as a national security threat which must be resolved without mercy, and any casualties were deemed necessary.” The result of the instruction was the formation of a National Drug Suppression Centre that compiled a blacklist of alleged traffickers.

The police and other authorities were then encouraged to shorten the blacklist by extrajudicial killings.

The report includes a statement by Thaksin at a March 23, 2003 meeting that traffickers could go to only two places, jail or a funeral

It lists 2,656 drug-related killings involving 2,921 deaths during the three-month campaign.

If one police officer is charged with murder, it would mean that there were extra-judicial killings during Thaksins war on drugs.

Therefore, these 5 policemen will eventually be cleared. Thaksin will try everything possible to avoid policemen being charged.

If there were "proven" extrajudicial killings, Thaksin could be charged for crimes against humanity. He knows that.

So don't expect any official to be punished. Not now, not the last 8 years and not in the future.

Wait and see.

Edited by Nickymaster

Where do a few of you come from even in the states a murder defendant can be granted bail as well as a convicted murder awaiting appeal. This is more likely granted to someone of influence kind of the same as Thailand.

I know some who was accused of murder and they were locked up for a month awaiting the second bail hearing as the first was sandbagged by the district attorney. The bail amount was reduced 500,000dollars from 1 million when friends of the charged testified to his sterling character. Eventually the DA dropped the murder charge for lack of evidence but the ddefendant had to plead to a lesser charge of destroying evidence and it was finished as time served. The system is not perfect at home or in Thailand.

While I am lawyer, I don't practice criminal. I did clerk for Court of Crminal Appeals and Supreme Court a long time ago and criminal attorney while under grad. I have never heard of a convicted murder, especially one sentenced to death, being granted bail of any kind.

We have multiple billionaires right now in securities cases that are incarcerated waiting on appeals and they are not getting out for <deleted> unless all counts of their convictions are over turned.

It is possible to get bail while awaiting trial for murder. The higher the grade and better the evidence, the less likely to be granted. I also doubt bails being granted to many death eligible cases. This is all, of course, pre trial bail to which I am speaking. I doubt post trial bail in murder is feasible. Even if permissible, I would wager that no state judges in my state would let a murder out on bail. If they did and the murder harmed or killed another, the state judge would be looking for a new job come next election day.

Edited by ttelise

Kiattisak, who was found hanged in his cell, was one of an estimated 2,800 people killed during the crackdown on drug trafficking in 2003-2004.

That’s 2800 less chances of drugs being brought into the system and becoming available to vulnerable young people.

The Staunch clamp down on drug dealers and drug cartels was all part of the Taksin regime at the time, a policy that I totally agreed with. Otherwise if left unchecked, than Thailand could become another Mexico, in control of criminal gangs.

As far as I’m concerned these policemen are heroes, not criminals. These men are being used as fall guys to pacify the do gooders and world opinion plus to add more bad marks against Taksin. This is purely political and to help Thailand save face against it`s critics.

I do hope that these policemen are treated with leniency and not put to death in order to sweep under the carpet what were the policies of the Government during that period.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Kiattisak, who was found hanged in his cell, was one of an estimated 2,800 people killed during the crackdown on drug trafficking in 2003-2004.

That’s 2800 less chances of drugs being brought into the system and becoming available to vulnerable young people.

The Staunch clamp down on drug dealers and drug cartels was all part of the Taksin regime at the time, a policy that I totally agreed with. Otherwise if left unchecked, than Thailand could become another Mexico, in control of criminal gangs.

As far as I’m concerned these policeman are heroes, not criminals. These men are being used as fall guys to pacify the do gooders and world opinion plus to add more bad marks against Taksin. This is purely political and to help Thailand save face against it`s critics.

I do hope that these policemen are treated with leniency and not put to death in order to sweep under the carpet what were the policies of the Government during that period.

Not sure if your post is a troll. If not, as you know, extra judicial killing is a criminal offense. However, wouldn't you agree the criminal gangs are in control of Thailand; just a matter of the naming convention for the "gangs".