D-Day Looms For Illegal Phuket Taxis, Jet-Skis

Lite Beer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In March 2004 former Governor Pongpayome vasuti ordered a ban on all new registrations of Jetski`s and the plan was that by March 2011 all Jetski`s would be completely removed from Phuket Beaches.

Skorz is of course right in his first post and this is more or less how all business is run on Phuket. There are Thais and Foreigners on a daily basis speaking out or writing about problems in Phuket included here on Tv, meetings with honorary consuls and embassies,"show meetings" with the local Government and tukituk - taxi drivers, big planes about CTV cameras all over the place... honestly folks If Thailand wanted to fix jetskiproblems,taxi problems and reduce the crime rate it had been done years ago...no its a way of life here and unfortunately now and then some foreigners stand in their path of life.

• Like 1

I think it's you who cannot read. I asked you very clearly to explain exactly why you don't think I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. READ MY REPLY AND FIND ONE STATEMENT YOU DON'T BELIEVE TO BE TRUE.

I'm also confused. Jimi007 disagreed with your post but then went on to talk about something completely different and hasn't clarified his comments since. He seems to be on a complete tangent!

I disagree with your use of the word corruption. For corruption to be corruption payments need to be made outside of the law. If the payments made fall inside the boundaries of the laws of the country in question, then it can't possibly be corruption. When "we call it corruption" as you said we did, we are wrong. It is only corruption if applied to the systems we are used to in the West, but that doesn't make it corruption in the country of implementation.

@nernernenerenr....pretty sure local governance accepting backhanders to turn a blind eye to daylight robbery falls outside of the law even in Thailand. Most certainly is corruption.

Sorry I was a bit curt last night... You don't quite understand the situation here. It's a long story. But part of it had to do with the local village heads or Phu Yai Ban. For instance read http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16490.html The head of the Patong Tuk Tuk association is the mayor's son. And then this site details some of what has been going on here for years. http://phukettuktuks.com Hopefully the central Thai Government in Bangkok will actually do something about the locals that no governor of Phuket has been able to do so far. But somehow I doubt it. The old system is too well entrenched now it seems.

Can you read? Apparently not? I'm not going to repeat myself.

Really Jim007? That's a rather arrogant reply. On so many levels. But anyway, I'm with Skorz on this one. Living in Phuket doesn't deem you the authority on these countrywide transportation issues. I live in Chiang Mai, have visited Phuket, and see the same type of thing here. Only Phuket is famous because the amounts are so large for such short trips. 10 baht in Pattaya on the monkeybus will cost you some ridiculous amount in Phuket on a TukTuk for the same distance. I can get to places in town from the airport in BKK for around 200-300 baht, but that same trip in Phuket is well over 600 baht, correct? How about taxi meters from the airport and simple priced red cars in the tourist areas? To me, what's going on in Phuket is like stores selling marked up batteries and water after a hurricane. Shameful scamming. Or hell, how about a national rate for the various modes of travel?

Jim007 probably lives in Germany. Apathy and denial from within keeps the core rotten.

I think it's you who cannot read. I asked you very clearly to explain exactly why you don't think I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. READ MY REPLY AND FIND ONE STATEMENT YOU DON'T BELIEVE TO BE TRUE.

I'm also confused. Jimi007 disagreed with your post but then went on to talk about something completely different and hasn't clarified his comments since. He seems to be on a complete tangent!

I disagree with your use of the word corruption. For corruption to be corruption payments need to be made outside of the law. If the payments made fall inside the boundaries of the laws of the country in question, then it can't possibly be corruption. When "we call it corruption" as you said we did, we are wrong. It is only corruption if applied to the systems we are used to in the West, but that doesn't make it corruption in the country of implementation.

@nernernenerenr....pretty sure local governance accepting backhanders to turn a blind eye to daylight robbery falls outside of the law even in Thailand. Most certainly is corruption.

Sorry I was a bit curt last night... You don't quite understand the situation here. It's a long story. But part of it had to do with the local village heads or Phu Yai Ban. For instance read http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16490.html The head of the Patong Tuk Tuk association is the mayor's son. And then this site details some of what has been going on here for years. http://phukettuktuks.com Hopefully the central Thai Government in Bangkok will actually do something about the locals that no governor of Phuket has been able to do so far. But somehow I doubt it. The old system is too well entrenched now it seems.

Jim007, that's exactly what I said. The local enforcers of government policy are the phu yai bans and orbadors. they are all local boys, born and bred. All the relatives work the tourists, the cash is shared around and filters up the chain. The cops are frequently posted to places like phuket and Samui as hardship postings and will basically do what they are told by the locals because they're far away from home and terrified of stirring up local amnosity. I know this from experience I shall not discuss on these forums.

I agree with NerNer.... If something falls outside of a law that the government have chosen not to enforce, then it can hardly be considered breaking the law. If you are doing something that the government is allowing you to do then the fact that it may be written somewhere official that it's illegal is irrelevant. If the giving of back handers is something the government not only show no interest in policing but partake in regularly themselves then it is not corruption, it's simply the law of the land.

In March 2004 former Governor Pongpayome vasuti ordered a ban on all new registrations of Jetski`s and the plan was that by March 2011 all Jetski`s would be completely removed from Phuket Beaches.

Skorz is of course right in his first post and this is more or less how all business is run on Phuket. There are Thais and Foreigners on a daily basis speaking out or writing about problems in Phuket included here on Tv, meetings with honorary consuls and embassies,"show meetings" with the local Government and tukituk - taxi drivers, big planes about CTV cameras all over the place... honestly folks If Thailand wanted to fix jetskiproblems,taxi problems and reduce the crime rate it had been done years ago...no its a way of life here and unfortunately now and then some foreigners stand in their path of life.

Good post. If they wanted to run the country differently they would have done so long ago. Only when the people of Thailand on mass, insist that things should be done differently, will they show any signs of changing.

Which leads me to the question of why people move to Thailand and then want it to be different than it is? If you want to live in a country like England, move to England. If you want to live somewhere like Japan, move to Japan. If you don't like the way Thailand is <deleted> are you doing there?

I agree with NerNer.... If something falls outside of a law that the government have chosen not to enforce, then it can hardly be considered breaking the law. If you are doing something that the government is allowing you to do then the fact that it may be written somewhere official that it's illegal is irrelevant. If the giving of back handers is something the government not only show no interest in policing but partake in regularly themselves then it is not corruption, it's simply the law of the land.

Good post. If they wanted to run the country differently they would have done so long ago. Only when the people of Thailand on mass, insist that things should be done differently, will they show any signs of changing.

Which leads me to the question of why people move to Thailand and then want it to be different than it is? If you want to live in a country like England, move to England. If you want to live somewhere like Japan, move to Japan. If you don't like the way Thailand is <deleted> are you doing there?

It was only a matter of time before it was suggested that if we don't like it then we should go home. Surprised it took so long. For the record, it most certainly is corruption we're talking about, if it weren't, then they'd change the law of the Kingdom to make such 'transactions' legal and stop jailing bent coppers and politicians. Anybody who fails to understand this is either drunk, dead or dumb.

It was only a matter of time before it was suggested that if we don't like it then we should go home. Surprised it took so long.

Feel free to give us all a logical explanation as to why living somewhere that you don't like the way things are done is an intelligent thing to do.

As basic and simple and well used as "Don't let the door...." is, it's also undeniably as logical as can be. Call it corruption if it makes you feel better, things are the way they are, you won't change them you just whine about them, explain to a simpleton like me why that's intelligent?

• Like 2

Another fake crackdown to trick stupid foreigners into thinking that something meaningful has been done while winking at the mafia hoods to tell them to keep on paying their tea money and it's business as usual.

It was only a matter of time before it was suggested that if we don't like it then we should go home. Surprised it took so long. For the record, it most certainly is corruption we're talking about, if it weren't, then they'd change the law of the Kingdom to make such 'transactions' legal and stop jailing bent coppers and politicians. Anybody who fails to understand this is either drunk, dead or dumb.

Since you were wondering why that suggestion hasn't been posted, here is the other question that is usually asked: How long have you lived here? And how many years have you lived on Phuket? This is not Australia or where ever you came from and it hasn't and won't change anytime soon to suit your sensibilities. I know it's a bit of a steep learning curve at first, but you'll get over it or move...

Ahh Jim007, I thought we'd made friends! Who ever said anything about wanting to change things? Can't exactly crack open a beer outside the 7'11 at 10am where I very historically came from. For the second time, I don't live in Phuket. Don't make assumptions about me, my points within this topic are true to the point and well founded on time served experience.Those who live on the very surface of the façade have stars in their eyes and can be seen waiing waiters. If you fail to grasp the basics of what we're discussing then I wouldn't bother extending your tourist visa.

Another fake crackdown to trick stupid foreigners into thinking that something meaningful has been done while winking at the mafia hoods to tell them to keep on paying their tea money and it's business as usual.

couldn't have said it better myself.

It was only a matter of time before it was suggested that if we don't like it then we should go home. Surprised it took so long.

Feel free to give us all a logical explanation as to why living somewhere that you don't like the way things are done is an intelligent thing to do.

As basic and simple and well used as "Don't let the door...." is, it's also undeniably as logical as can be. Call it corruption if it makes you feel better, things are the way they are, you won't change them you just whine about them, explain to a simpleton like me why that's intelligent?

You'll probably find that i wasn't actually complaining., All my comments were observational (or at least intended to be). And trust me;if I didn't like it here I'd leave on the next flight. Anybody who's bought land here or who owns a company has almost certainly broken the law in some way. Thanks corrupt land official, thanks corrupt Lawyer :)

Ahh Jim007, I thought we'd made friends! Who ever said anything about wanting to change things? Can't exactly crack open a beer outside the 7'11 at 10am where I very historically came from. For the second time, I don't live in Phuket. Don't make assumptions about me, my points within this topic are true to the point and well founded on time served experience.Those who live on the very surface of the façade have stars in their eyes and can be seen waiing waiters. If you fail to grasp the basics of what we're discussing then I wouldn't bother extending your tourist visa.

Well we kind of were friends until your Germany remark and your last crack about a tourist visa. I've been on this island for over seven years and have seen what has happened to it. Rather sad but somewhat expected... I don't have to deal with tuk tuks, jet skis and only when I go to the airport do I call and get a metered cab. So none of these things bother me. But back to the OP topic, Black plate taxis. Anyone who owns a car around here who is Thai, thinks they can put a piece of cardboard on their windshield saying taxi. Then try to charge almost double the rate of a meter taxi to the airport, beat up legit taxi drivers from other towns and nothing is done... This topic to me is like beating a dead horse. beatdeadhorse.gif All talk and never any action from the local government. I have a slight bit of hope now the national government wants some action due to the bad publicity. But of course Phuket is an old democratic party stronghold, so I rather doubt they are going to go along with anything the Yingluck government has to say.

Pls correct me if i am wrong ( i am sure you will ) but a few years ago ALL TUK-TUKs were suposed to have a FARE CHART placed on the rear of the drivers cab ( inside the pasenger area ) of the tuktuk so that it could be read by pasengers,i was using tuks quite a lot around that time but never ever saw one

so i recon that legal/ilegag cabs will treat this NEW laW exactly the same way

Just a load more B S to baffle Tourist brains.

Pls correct me if i am wrong ( i am sure you will ) but a few years ago ALL TUK-TUKs were suposed to have a FARE CHART placed on the rear of the drivers cab ( inside the pasenger area ) of the tuktuk so that it could be read by pasengers,i was using tuks quite a lot around that time but never ever saw one

so i recon that legal/ilegag cabs will treat this NEW laW exactly the same way

Just a load more B S to baffle Tourist brains.

You're right. Fares were supposed to be posted not only at the tuk tuk ranks, but inside the tuk tuks themselves. That lasted about 3 months.

In regards to the jet skis, they were given 7 years to " find an alternate source of income" and they were supposed to be removed. I was sceptical back then, and remain so due to how much cash is generated by these scammers ( tuk tuks, blate plate taxis, and jet skis).

As far as this latest charade about cracking down on black plates, I give it 3 months just like every other "crackdown" that occurs nationwide.

I often know how far and where I want to go when in Pattaya or Phuket but have no idea what th flagfall is or how much it should be per kilometre.

If these figure were published it would go long way to establishing the real price for a trip and then you could give ti if you are treated fairly.

In Vietnam some companies are known to be honest and use their meters - so you have no qualms using their taxis.

Malaysia and Thailand - don't bother - use a bus at least you pay a fair price!

We wish there was a real bus system throughout Phuket but there isn't. The last guys that tried were beaten and no one has applied since for the concession from the local Land Transportation Office.

Yes that's right, someone tried once but the tuk tuk mafia ran them off....

Has a single complaint been made that a taxi was illegal or that a jet ski wasn't registered ?

Why do they keep deflecting away from the real issue ? (Rhetorical)

The reason they keep deflecting (and quite skilfully too) from the real issue is because the powers who really deal with these issues on a local level receive income from the jet-ski/taxi Mafia. In return for this income, the jet-ski.taxi Mafia are allowed to continue to operate. In return, the local bosses pay the regional bosses and the regional bosses pay the national bosses. This is the standard economic and political model for Thailand and most other 2nd world countries. We call it corruption (which of course it is), they call it economics. Either way, it ain't going to change any time soon.

As an earlier poster quite rightly pointed out, the only way (and I mean this quite literally) for Johny Farang to have any impact on this system without resorting to a campaign of jet-ski/taxi Mafia assignations, is to boycott the use of these 'services' without any exception.

Not quite right - it is not economics, it is called the God Father system. The God Father takes care of you and provides you with assistance which you cannot otherwise provide yourself. In return, you "give presents" to your God Father in recognition of him taking care of you. This has been going on since time memorial and as you rightly say, "it ain't going to change any time soon". It is firmly embedded in Thai Culture and to me is more akin to networking, but I must confess I am somewhat pro-Thaiwai.gif

Please not mix my post in as supportive of either corruption or the Love it or leave it brigade. Anyone have right to an opinion. My post and point is that there are and have been a lot of talk up and drumming from both the local Government and in some cases also the central Government "to make a better Phuket" the last twenty years, but sorry to say the reality is that in general its stops with the talk which easily lead one to believe that change is not wanted.

• Like 1

Has a single complaint been made that a taxi was illegal or that a jet ski wasn't registered ?

The reason they keep deflecting (and quite skilfully too) from the real issue is because the powers who really deal with these issues on a local level receive income from the jet-ski/taxi Mafia. In return for this income, the jet-ski.taxi Mafia are allowed to continue to operate. In return, the local bosses pay the regional bosses and the regional bosses pay the national bosses. This is the standard economic and political model for Thailand and most other 2nd world countries. We call it corruption (which of course it is), they call it economics. Either way, it ain't going to change any time soon.

As an earlier poster quite rightly pointed out, the only way (and I mean this quite literally) for Johny Farang to have any impact on this system without resorting to a campaign of jet-ski/taxi Mafia assignations, is to boycott the use of these 'services' without any exception.

Not quite right - it is not economics, it is called the God Father system. The God Father takes care of you and provides you with assistance which you cannot otherwise provide yourself. In return, you "give presents" to your God Father in recognition of him taking care of you. This has been going on since time memorial and as you rightly say, "it ain't going to change any time soon". It is firmly embedded in Thai Culture and to me is more akin to networking, but I must confess I am somewhat pro-Thaiwai.gif

Unfortunately in these system those at the bottom of the food chain face a disproportional level of suffering. In this case the tourists. If you happen to dislike tourists then I guess this system would bring you some degree of satisfaction, however this would be a rather short sighted stance to take, and a hand that shouldn't be bitten. Thailand - living in the moment !

Well we kind of were friends until your Germany remark and your last crack about a tourist visa. I've been on this island for over seven years and have seen what has happened to it. Rather sad but somewhat expected... I don't have to deal with tuk tuks, jet skis and only when I go to the airport do I call and get a metered cab. So none of these things bother me. But back to the OP topic, Black plate taxis. Anyone who owns a car around here who is Thai, thinks they can put a piece of cardboard on their windshield saying taxi. Then try to charge almost double the rate of a meter taxi to the airport, beat up legit taxi drivers from other towns and nothing is done... This topic to me is like beating a dead horse. beatdeadhorse.gif All talk and never any action from the local government. I have a slight bit of hope now the national government wants some action due to the bad publicity. But of course Phuket is an old democratic party stronghold, so I rather doubt they are going to go along with anything the Yingluck government has to say.

No offence meant Jim, I have enjoyed and learnt some stuff from this discussion. The German comment was a bit below the belt. Denmark? (sorry, joke) :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You obviously don't live in Phuket. The one thing you are right about is that nothing will probably change anytime soon. Although we are somewhat hopeful that the Land Transportation Office is trying to take on the illegal "black plate" taxis. Jet skis were declared illegal many years ago, but now have been "grandfathered" in with the "insurance scheme." It seems as though the government is taking the same approach with the illegal taxis as with the jet skis. If you register now, we'll make you legal. Of course there is no talk of ridding the island of the tuk tuk "associations" and their local bosses, including the son of the mayor of Patong, who is up for yet another re-election this month...

Does it matter what the trickle down system is? It still is exploiting the very people who keep them financially sustained. The Farang tourist is keeping these greedy <deleted> in Phuket, and they are souring the World with their exploits and scams. It is hurting the legitimate and viable Thai's who play by the rules. Maybe you. being a local Phuketian, who knows so much detail of the workings of the dark underworld ,can provoke some insight into useful ways to curtail this short termed criminal mentality. Or are you just a Observer, reporting the hopeless and sanguine?

The short term thinking can ruin things in the long run, much akin to greedy uncontrolled miners who bring the collapse of the whole mine down, they profit in the beginning and everyone loses in the end.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You obviously don't live in Phuket. The one thing you are right about is that nothing will probably change anytime soon. Although we are somewhat hopeful that the Land Transportation Office is trying to take on the illegal "black plate" taxis. Jet skis were declared illegal many years ago, but now have been "grandfathered" in with the "insurance scheme." It seems as though the government is taking the same approach with the illegal taxis as with the jet skis. If you register now, we'll make you legal. Of course there is no talk of ridding the island of the tuk tuk "associations" and their local bosses, including the son of the mayor of Patong, who is up for yet another re-election this month...

Does it matter what the trickle down system is? It still is exploiting the very people who keep them financially sustained. The Farang tourist is keeping these greedy <deleted> in Phuket, and they are souring the World with their exploits and scams. It is hurting the legitimate and viable Thai's who play by the rules. Maybe you. being a local Phuketian, who knows so much detail of the workings of the dark underworld ,can provoke some insight into useful ways to curtail this short termed criminal mentality. Or are you just a Observer, reporting the hopeless and sanguine?

Read the links in post #35. As it has been said possibly the only way to clean out the deep seated corruption in some parts of Phuket would be the army...