Offensive Sign

smokie36

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either

Such a blinkered view of Thailand. The country really is wasted on such pretentious pricks....

Sad....and almost pitiful...

Believe it or not there is much more to Thailand than seedy bars which find it necessary to Post such signs, and my "pretensions", if that they be, have enabled me to greatly enjoy my time here whilst, in the main, avoiding the company of low life Farang (or Thais for that matter).

Patrick

I would have thought that the seedy bars are the ones that don't have signs up telling the slags to stay away. Shows how much you know.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either

Such a blinkered view of Thailand. The country really is wasted on such pretentious pricks....

Believe it or not there is much more to Thailand than seedy bars which find it necessary to Post such signs, and my "pretensions", if that they be, have enabled me to greatly enjoy my time here whilst, in the main, avoiding the company of low life Farang (or Thais for that matter).

Patrick

LOL, I find it amusing that 'Heavy drinker attacks you and others as being pretentious/pitiful.

The guy sounds like the typical example of a drunk sexpat who frequents Lower Sukkhumvit regularly.

I think you've touched a nerve by pointing out the facts.

You've only been here what, 40 years Patrick?

I know you're a member of the RBSC, where I'm absolutely 100% sure that Heavy Drinker has never been to let alone heard of. I wonder if they have a problem with prostitutes??

Ok, if you are going to buy into this then you are giving yourself to the subjectivity of the bar staff.

According to you, they can basically tell anyone to get lost if they don't like the looks of them.

If thats what you want, so be it but at some point someone is going to consider YOU a lowlife. You will then have to follow the path you made for youself and remove yourself with no complaint.

Im sure there are those both here in Thailand and anywhere else who would consider you a lowlife.

Ok, if you are going to buy into this then you are giving yourself to the subjectivity of the bar staff.

According to you, they can basically tell anyone to get lost if they don't like the looks of them.

If thats what you want, so be it but at some point someone is going to consider YOU a lowlife. You will then have to follow the path you made for youself and remove yourself with no complaint.

Im sure there are those both here in Thailand and anywhere else who would consider you a lowlife.

... so me and my mate went into this place "The London Pub", thinking it was a sure-fire winner for a refreshing beverage. "No biru"; it was obvious that we were not welcome, so we turned and left. Why would you drink somewhere you were not made welcome?

I don't know if it was because they thought we were low-life, or that they were worried they were not worthy of us, or that they recognised we were international consultant engineers and they were worried that we would be followed by thousands of screaming fans; whatever. Why would we drink somewhere we were not welcome? Luckily, they made that quite clear, and we did not have to endure an uncomfortable few minutes drinking up and being stared at.

Now that takes me back to the Bongo Club... I hadn't realised we were getting stared at until I said to the lad "Its quiet in here tonight" and then somebody smiled... "Let's drink up..." the lad said.

SC

Patrick

Deary me. Pat, are you that unworldly that you think "low life" is never found in high places?

How sad you've spent 40 years looking down your nose instead of looking around you. What a waste of a life.

LOL, I find it amusing that 'Heavy drinker attacks you and others as being pretentious/pitiful.

The guy sounds like the typical example of a drunk sexpat who frequents Lower Sukkhumvit regularly.

I know you're a member of the RBSC, where I'm absolutely 100% sure that Heavy Drinker has never been to let alone heard of. I wonder if they have a problem with prostitutes??

What "facts" have you pointed out?

Unlike some posters I never feel the need to constantly make my cyber personality look good by being derogatory and making frankly ludicrous mass generalisations about total strangers who inhabit and frequent a 4 square KM area of Bangkok but please carry on.....

Can I ask the question that is being ignored?

Who cares? If the bar isn't your taste, and a sign that offends you means it isn't, don't drink there. Bangkok is not short of bars.

Of all the ideas we expats should be exporting to Thailand do we really want one to be the "I have an inalienable human right to be offended at any time for any reason" nonsense that is driving most of our home countries to new heights of stupidity? Grow a pair. Be offended, tell the owner he is an asshol_e, and walk away. Speak with your dollars. One of the things I have always loved about Thailand is their no nonsense approach to this type of thing. There are no shortage of "Japanese Only" etc... sign around, and when I see one, I walk on to the next place.

Some of you are attacking this question from the wrong angle.

I'm asking you if you think normal Thai women will find the sign offensive....there are plenty of them if you venture outside of the Nana or Soi 23 area you know! biggrin.png

Just asked the missus. She said she understood completely why the sign is there and didnt have a problem with it. 'Up to them' as she eloquently put it.

My girl simply suggested the wording should be changed. That's all...as the way it is put is wrong.....and we enjoyed the bar and its relatively cheap drinks. biggrin.png

The problem is if they changed the sign to what it really meant "No Whores" You would get a parade of Thai women saying. "I'm not a whore, I'm a university studfent. I just go with farang men sometimes to help my family. Can by me drink sexy man? Dahling you like my iPhone? You play Facebook and Whatsapp?"

OK... I'm gonna give some lady input to this... If I was a Thai lady and I actually wanted to drink there with my friend with no intentions attached... I would be offended and not go there ever again even if I was with a man.

However I would understand why the sign was put up, especially seeing as it does attract a large number of solo females looking for business. I personally would not want to drink in such a bar in the first place to be fair but each to their own.

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

Ofcourse you're right in the case of the professional women. But the real question to be asked is why would a bar feel the need to show a sign like that. The answer i'm fairly sure is that they are totally fed up with their bar being used as a point of business for freelance hookers to get to work on the bars customers.

i don't find anything offensive about the sign at all. Its just a sad reflection of the way things are.

I feel very sorry for other thai women but unfortunately its the powers that be in their country that has allowed such a situation to arise.

i have explained twice in this thread why the bar (if it is cheap charlies) has that sign up. The property owners set the policy and insisted the proprietor of cheap charlies moderate his clientele.

Patrick

are you forgetting the fact that almost every bar in the US and many other places practices the same policy with "We have the right to refuse service" signs.

you are subject to the judgement of bar staff the world over, why should it be offensive here?

Ah Kilgore - where would we be without your bile filled rants on a Sunday morning? Did you ever take a moment to consider that it isn't every foreigner who is a target of dislike...just you?

I certainly don't frequent places that would have a sign like that, so no, I didn't consider that notion.

Certainly then it is fair to ask that if you take offense from a little sign that you somehow have construed to be anti-farang, why you even bother with the entire country of Thailand when you are so convinced Thai people have it in for you?

Edited by samran

are you forgetting the fact that almost every bar in the US and many other places practices the same policy with "We have the right to refuse service" signs.

you are subject to the judgement of bar staff the world over, why should it be offensive here?

I think you are a bit confused regarding the implications of discrimination lawsuits in the US. Lets not compare apples to oranges here, this is not the US.

Certainly then it is fair to ask that if you take offense from a little sign that you somehow have construed to be anti-farang, why you even bother with the entire country of Thailand when you are so convinced Thai people have it in for you?

Samran, your salty little comments just point out the fact that you have misunderstood the Trout. Apparently your weak mind is unable to comprehend blind truth without bias.

Don't assume so muchwhistling.gif

I think you are a bit confused regarding the implications of discrimination lawsuits in the US. Lets not compare apples to oranges here, this is not the US.

Samran, your salty little comments just point out the fact that you have misunderstood the Trout. Apparently your weak mind is unable to comprehend blind truth without bias.

Ah yes, to disagree it goes without saying it must mean one has a weak mind. Not that I sometimes don't disagree with some of your assertions (very rare though I do admit), but what is usually striking is with the quantum you apply them, with the seemingly unchallengeable assertion that you know how 60+ odd million people think (speaking of assumptions, hey there trouty??).

Edited by samran

If I was a cross dresser, if, and if I went and sat there alone, would I be asked to leave ?

If you were smoking, most certainly..............rolleyes.gif

What if he was steaming?

Depends on the tolerance of the bar staff.........smile.png

Would likely mean explaining what steamin' meant, don't think he is from the North.

Ah yes, to disagree it goes without saying it must mean one has a weak mind. Not that I sometimes don't disagree with some of your assertions (very rare though I do admit), but what is usually striking is with the quantum you apply them, with the seemingly unchallengeable assertion that you know how 60+ odd million people think (speaking of assumptions, hey there trouty??).

I just meant don't assume you always know what I think, as I certainly don't assume all Thai people have it in for me, and I assure you, this little sign has not offended me. I just call them as I see them. I suppose we can both be a bit vociferous at times.

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

Because Thai people believe that any girl who socializes with western men is a prostitute. It is not a reflection on the women, it a reflection on YOU; Western men.

Thai people believe you are scum, therefore any woman who hangs out with you must be scum as well.

Its just that simple; sorry to burst your bubble, but Thai people just think foreigners (especially westerners) are beneath them.

If you don't like it you are welcome to leave Thailand, remember, it is not your country.

Also, if they had wanted YOU "falang" to read and understand the message, they would have written it in English, not Thai.

You must live in a miserable world with a blinkered view like that.

To be honest, it was about 10 - 15 years ago, it may have/probably has changed. I can't remember any of those clubs you mention.

They were both there 10 years ago.

What about 13 years ago?

Q bar set up about that time. Zanzibar was definitely there at that time as was the German beer place just after Suk 11. Plenty of places for professional ladies to frequent. Funny though that you think your experiences from 13 years ago would be relevant today even if they weren't there at that time. Which they were...

q bar is 12 years old i just confirmed on the web, jesus i remember when they opened as a "new york" cigar lounge, they had no intention of being the nightclub they became, but the punters forced it. within a month they had changed the format and upgraded the sound system.

bed came to be a good few years later, it has been around for about 9 years.

The German used to be a Demeglios i believe, and did not have the open air area out front. the original german was on soi 1 and that closed a few years back. the fish tank moved to soi 11 when they closed. cant remembeer what year that appeared, but suspect it has been around 10 years.

I have seen a lot of changes on this soi over the last 15 or so years.

OK... I'm gonna give some lady input to this... If I was a Thai lady and I actually wanted to drink there with my friend with no intentions attached... I would be offended and not go there ever again even if I was with a man.

However I would understand why the sign was put up, especially seeing as it does attract a large number of solo females looking for business. I personally would not want to drink in such a bar in the first place to be fair but each to their own.

Well with your train of thought they are damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. You wouldnt drink there because you find the sign offensive, but you also wouldnt drink there if there was no sign because you wouldnt want the whores around you.

• Like 1