Offensive Sign

smokie36

Cheap Charlies on Suk 11 has the same kind of sign

That IS Cheap Charlie's sign unless I'm very much mistaken.

Never understood the point of this place. It's not even cheap.

I agree with you.

Having walked past this place many times, never inticed to go in.

Just full of white people, and I can get that at home anytime.

If I travel to Thailand, I wish to migle with Thais, not my own culture.

Lucky they didn't have a sign saying 'No Dogs Allowed' Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you.

Maybe somewhere else, say Sa Kaew, will do you rather than a multi-cultural capital city...?

Then you can sit there while they all ignore you while you are feeling all "cultural" and superb!

Just a thought?

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

I agree with you.

Maybe somewhere else, say Sa Kaew, will do you rather than a multi-cultural capital city...?

Then you can sit there while they all ignore you while you are feeling all "cultural" and superb!

Just a thought?

I know that, as an Aussie, when I lived in London, the last place I wanted to visit was Earl's Court, because it was just full of Aussies.

My desire to travel was to have new experiences so I tired to be around the English as best I can.

So I can sort of understand what Schmackos is on about.

Out of curiosity, what and where is 'Sa Kaew'?

I agree with you.

Just a thought?

I know that, as an Aussie, when I lived in London, the last place I wanted to visit was Earl's Court, because it was just full of Aussies.

My desire to travel was to have new experiences so I tired to be around the English as best I can.

So I can sort of understand what Schmackos is on about.

Out of curiosity, what and where is 'Sa Kaew'?

And now the thread dies...............

CC's was a place a few of us used to go to to avoid all the HALLO HANDSOM man calls and the prats trying to shove perv adverts in your face. It was nice to sit down and have a beer and chat before once more diving back into the dens of eniquity( is that spelt rite ),? ...

Inequity

iniquity

• Like 1

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either.

Not a decent establishment? I might not take a respectable Thai girl to such a place, but I would go myself in a flat second. What is the address please?

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

Ofcourse you're right in the case of the professional women. But the real question to be asked is why would a bar feel the need to show a sign like that. The answer i'm fairly sure is that they are totally fed up with their bar being used as a point of business for freelance hookers to get to work on the bars customers.

i don't find anything offensive about the sign at all. Its just a sad reflection of the way things are.

I feel very sorry for other thai women but unfortunately its the powers that be in their country that has allowed such a situation to arise.

• Like 1

Why do people feel the need to talk about TEFLs in derogatory terms? You might have got a sensible answer if you asked "Why don't TEFLs take their ties off?" I normally remove my tie if I'm driving, as I don't want to look too Lee Brilleaux in case there's sharp-eyed coppers about.

I completely understand why people talk about TEFLs in "derogatory terms" but what the relation with Lee Brilleaux ? Dr Feelgood was a great band.

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

Ofcourse you're right in the case of the professional women. But the real question to be asked is why would a bar feel the need to show a sign like that. The answer i'm fairly sure is that they are totally fed up with their bar being used as a point of business for freelance hookers to get to work on the bars customers.

i don't find anything offensive about the sign at all. Its just a sad reflection of the way things are.

I feel very sorry for other thai women but unfortunately its the powers that be in their country that has allowed such a situation to arise.

Don't disagree with your answer but if you read all the posts you'll find a few that include the sentiment that people (guys ) went there so they did not get hassled by the local hookers, suited me when I went there, again I'm admitting it was about 6 years ago so can't comment on todays situation. Think about a bunch of girls on a nite out for a few drinks without husbands, boyfriends etc who want to be left alone being hassled by some guy who thinks all he has to do is walk over and talk to one of them and he'll be quaranteed a good nite, in his own mind, would the girls object if the owner asked him to leave because the girls don't want the attention.

To copy the Blether, Just sayin !

I just feel its a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Its not the owners fault if there are free lancers all over the place. At the end of the day, if its his bar, he pays the rent and rates then its his perogative whether or not he wants free lance hookers working his bar.

It is sad for women who are just going out for a drink with friends but i don't think that the owners of cheap charlies would refuse them for a moment because they would obviously not be confused as hookers.

Storm in a teacup.

Personally, I wouldn't take a girlfriend to the type of bar that felt the need to display this kind of sign but that's just my own preference.

Shame you feel that way.

It's a pretty fun place to have a few of an evening and is somewhat of an institution.

It certainly isn't "that type of bar", merely a victim of it's location I suppose, that it has to have the sign there.

Still, if you're the kind of person who thinks he's "above" a place because it has a sign like this up then you won't be missed...

If signs like this offend you, never, ever, ever take your girlfriend to the Atlanta hotel.....

Its not about whether I am offended....but how offensive the sign is in the eyes of Thai women.

Carry on....smile.png

• Like 1

Because Thai people believe that any girl who socializes with western men is a prostitute. It is not a reflection on the women, it a reflection on YOU; Western men.

Thai people believe you are scum, therefore any woman who hangs out with you must be scum as well.

Its just that simple; sorry to burst your bubble, but Thai people just think foreigners (especially westerners) are beneath them.

If you don't like it you are welcome to leave Thailand, remember, it is not your country.

Also, if they had wanted YOU "falang" to read and understand the message, they would have written it in English, not Thai.

Cheap Charlies on Suk 11 has the same kind of sign

That IS Cheap Charlie's sign unless I'm very much mistaken.

Never understood the point of this place. It's not even cheap.

I agree with you.

LOL! So you think that just because someone is white they share the same culture as you? Perhaps you should attempt to talk to some white people. You may be surprised... We're not all the same.

Not only that but also consider the fact that the majority of people who got there probably are not visiting Thailand like you and actually live here. And therefore dont ned to try and make friends 'with the locals' every time they want a drink and some light conversation.

• Like 1

Some of you are attacking this question from the wrong angle.

I'm asking you if you think normal Thai women will find the sign offensive....there are plenty of them if you venture outside of the Nana or Soi 23 area you know! biggrin.png

Edit: Think "discrimination".....and how to phrase something correctly. We all know WHY the sign is there....I am asking whether it is appropriate to word it in this way which is aimed towards ALL Thai women.

Edited by smokie36

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either

Such a blinkered view of Thailand. The country really is wasted on such pretentious pricks....

Sad....and almost pitiful...

Believe it or not there is much more to Thailand than seedy bars which find it necessary to Post such signs, and my "pretensions", if that they be, have enabled me to greatly enjoy my time here whilst, in the main, avoiding the company of low life Farang (or Thais for that matter).

Patrick

I'm asking you if you think normal Thai women will find the sign offensive....there are plenty of them if you venture outside of the Nana or Soi 23 area you know! biggrin.png

This is my point though. i would have thought that most thai women would know full well that this sign is not referring to them. To think the sign refers to all thai women is simply ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just asked the missus. She said she understood completely why the sign is there and didnt have a problem with it. 'Up to them' as she eloquently put it.

Because Thai people believe that any girl who socializes with western men is a prostitute. It is not a reflection on the women, it a reflection on YOU; Western men.

Thai people believe you are scum, therefore any woman who hangs out with you must be scum as well.

Its just that simple; sorry to burst your bubble, but Thai people just think foreigners (especially westerners) are beneath them.

If you don't like it you are welcome to leave Thailand, remember, it is not your country.

Also, if they had wanted YOU "falang" to read and understand the message, they would have written it in English, not Thai.

Well, actually if Thai people think that (and I thank you for speaking on behalf of the thoughts of 80 million people and the decades of research you must have undertaken with the entire Thai population to make your comments factual), then it is a reflection on them, not the woman or the Western man.

You can't beat a bit of xenophobic ignorance.

That's an interesting point of view, but unlikely in this instance, since the bar in question caters to a predominantly foreign Western clientele. Another of the reasons that the sign is in Thai, and not in English is probably to avoid discussions like this one.

SC

Just asked the missus. She said she understood completely why the sign is there and didnt have a problem with it. 'Up to them' as she eloquently put it.

My girl simply suggested the wording should be changed. That's all...as the way it is put is wrong.....and we enjoyed the bar and its relatively cheap drinks. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I agree with you.

I don't know why you would be in Soi 11 "many times" (or even the Sukhumvit) if you don't like mingling with "white people".

• Like 1

I agree with you.

I don't know why you would be in Soi 11 "many times" (or even the Sukhumvit) if you don't like mingling with "white people".

biggrin.png Exactly. Shows his naivity. He's obviously a newbie here, fallen in love with all things thai, farang are evil wai's all the kids, road signs and soi dogs blah blah blah....when do you start your buddha lessons pal? sick.gif

• Like 1

Ah Kilgore - where would we be without your bile filled rants on a Sunday morning? Did you ever take a moment to consider that it isn't every foreigner who is a target of dislike...just you?

I certainly don't frequent places that would have a sign like that, so no, I didn't consider that notion.

Back on topic; I think that most Thai women, if they thought about it, they would be offended; however, at that point their "Thainess" would kick in, shifting their loyalties from logic and reason back to Xenophobia. Only in very rare exceptions (exceptional people who are out there) would a Thai female back up a Westerner when confronted with stereotypes presented by her family and friends.

In the end, it will all come down to "you are a falang, you don't understand Thai culture. Stick to the role we expect from you; don't put us in a position where we have to think too much or question our values; shut up, do that and you will be fine."

• Like 1

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either

Such a blinkered view of Thailand. The country really is wasted on such pretentious pricks....

Believe it or not there is much more to Thailand than seedy bars which find it necessary to Post such signs, and my "pretensions", if that they be, have enabled me to greatly enjoy my time here whilst, in the main, avoiding the company of low life Farang (or Thais for that matter).

Patrick

LOL, I find it amusing that 'Heavy drinker attacks you and others as being pretentious/pitiful.

The guy sounds like the typical example of a drunk sexpat who frequents Lower Sukkhumvit regularly.

I think you've touched a nerve by pointing out the facts.

You've only been here what, 40 years Patrick?

I know you're a member of the RBSC, where I'm absolutely 100% sure that Heavy Drinker has never been to let alone heard of. I wonder if they have a problem with prostitutes??

Patrick

LOL, I find it amusing that 'Heavy drinker attacks you and others as being pretentious/pitiful.

The guy sounds like the typical example of a drunk sexpat who frequents Lower Sukkhumvit regularly.

I think you've touched a nerve by pointing out the facts.

You've only been here what, 40 years Patrick?

I know you're a member of the RBSC, where I'm absolutely 100% sure that Heavy Drinker has never been to let alone heard of. I wonder if they have a problem with prostitutes??

No, they don't. But they wont let me take our domestic help in.