Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Offensive Sign

smokie36

Personally, I wouldn't take a girlfriend to the type of bar that felt the need to display this kind of sign but that's just my own preference.

Shame you feel that way.

It's a pretty fun place to have a few of an evening and is somewhat of an institution.

It certainly isn't "that type of bar", merely a victim of it's location I suppose, that it has to have the sign there.

Still, if you're the kind of person who thinks he's "above" a place because it has a sign like this up then you won't be missed...

If signs like this offend you, never, ever, ever take your girlfriend to the Atlanta hotel.....

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they were fed up with deadwood foreigners coming to try and pick up hookers, but didn't expect a sign saying "No whoremongers" to be very effective.

Did they actually enforce the rules?

Maybe they were fed up with complaints from single Thai ladies who were accosted by foreigners, and since it was the foreigners that kept the bar till running, it was easier to remove the temptation.

Was the place rank with Russian hookers, by the way?

SC

You've obviously a good point here. The place is awash with Russian hookers and I've no doubt the sign was to discourage them from venturing into the bar.

Native Russian women can read Thai ?....WOW they must be quicker at learning the languge than the vast majority of TV posters then !

I was being sarcastic...

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

As I said, perhaps that bar have experienced problems in the past and as many posters have commented, why would any respectable women want to drink in a dump like that anyway? Alone, in a group or with a guy?

Personally, I wouldn't take a girlfriend to the type of bar that felt the need to display this kind of sign but that's just my own preference.

Shame you feel that way.

It's a pretty fun place to have a few of an evening and is somewhat of an institution.

It certainly isn't "that type of bar", merely a victim of it's location I suppose, that it has to have the sign there.

Still, if you're the kind of person who thinks he's "above" a place because it has a sign like this up then you won't be missed...

If signs like this offend you, never, ever, ever take your girlfriend to the Atlanta hotel.....

Trust me; I'm so gutted that I won't be missed.dry.png

The most offensive people are the PC crowd who try to dictate other people how to conduct their private business.

No, the most offensive people are those that have no moral compass at all, and are more than happy to take others' money regardless of how it may hurt them, or others.

Maybe they were fed up with deadwood foreigners coming to try and pick up hookers, but didn't expect a sign saying "No whoremongers" to be very effective.

Did they actually enforce the rules?

Maybe they were fed up with complaints from single Thai ladies who were accosted by foreigners, and since it was the foreigners that kept the bar till running, it was easier to remove the temptation.

Was the place rank with Russian hookers, by the way?

SC

You've obviously a good point here. The place is awash with Russian hookers and I've no doubt the sign was to discourage them from venturing into the bar.

Native Russian women can read Thai ?....WOW they must be quicker at learning the languge than the vast majority of TV posters then !

I was being sarcastic...

So was I tongue.png

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

As I said, perhaps that bar have experienced problems in the past and as many posters have commented, why would any respectable women want to drink in a dump like that anyway? Alone, in a group or with a guy?

Respectable women shouldn't be drinking; its not ladylike.

SC

• Like 1

No two professional Thai women would be seen in a place like that. I've been there with mates but would never take a g/f.

No two professional Thai women would be seen in a place like that. I've been there with mates but would never take a g/f.

Depends entirely on their profession of course. :rolleyes:

Thank you for speaking on behalf of all "professional" Thai women.....

I've worked with many professional Thai women in Times Square, Central Chidlom and Wireless Road and if any of the young women wanted a drink they most definitely wouldn't go to Cheap Charlies or anywhere near it. Have you seen the type of men that hang around that area?

The only women the would want to drink there are ones on the game.

I've worked with many professional Thai women in Times Square, Central Chidlom and Wireless Road and if any of the young women wanted a drink they most definitely wouldn't go to Cheap Charlies or anywhere near it. Have you seen the type of men that hang around that area?

I take it you hang around that area.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Believe it is Cheap Charlie's on soi 11. Hard to be diplomatic about something like this, but he's clearly sending a warning signal to freelancers, which would be bad for his business and ruin his place in about 2 seconds flat. Suspect though that a 'we reserve the right to deny service' might be a compromise, assuming people knew how to read between the lines. And I suspect they don't.

Hard to be diplomatic but sometime it's safer to be.

A bit more that ten years ago, someone I knew used to display the mug shot of the girls he found free lancing in his bar, to serve as a deterrent to the other girls who didn't want this kind of publicity. Unfortunately he caught a girl from an influential family. The girl was well known, drug addict, a total trash. But the family didn't appreciated the publicity. He had to close his bar.

Edited by JurgenG

You must work in a convent. There are many bars and clubs on soi 11 frequented by 'professional' women. Bed supper club, Q bar to name but two.

The most offensive people are the PC crowd who try to dictate other people how to conduct their private business.

No, the most offensive people are those that have no moral compass at all, and are more than happy to take others' money regardless of how it may hurt them, or others.

You are free to drink at a PC pub.

But you are not free to restrict and interfer in other's freedom.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

One the one hand you claim no professional Thai women would ever go there, yet only give 3 minimal examples of places from your own experience to back up this frankly ludicrous claim - two of which are nowhere near Cheap Charlies,

As a fairly regular visitor I can tell you a fair amount of non-prostitute Thai women do - and are welcome - to drink there, especially those who work in the vicinity and enjoy a drop or two after work with their colleagues. Indeed, the fact that those signs are in place makes it a viable option before heading to the many respectable nightspots nearby.

You ask:

Have you seen the type of men that hang around that area?

Frankly I'm befuddled by this question. Do you mean the backpackers from the Hostel? The motorbike boys on the corner of the soi?

Can you elaborate?

I have the feeling you're just another who uses this forum to try to make themselves appear a true paragon of virtue.....

The Mawbury Arms (now called One Way) in Lamai had and perhaps still has a sign in Thai saying 'No unemployed hookers'

Classic catch 22, that one. sad.png

It means that hookers are welcome once they've hooked; when they can bring someone who needs to drown his sorrows, or hide in a bottle, or whatever it is that we have to do.

SC

The Mawbury Arms (now called One Way) in Lamai had and perhaps still has a sign in Thai saying 'No unemployed hookers'

It means that hookers are welcome once they've hooked; when they can bring someone who needs to drown his sorrows, or hide in a bottle, or whatever it is that we have to do.

SC

I much prefer to get hooked after a couple of drinks. Mawbury's off the list then. :(

Not all the men in the area are lecherous lizards.

Lots of regular fellas around several perfectly respectable bars and clubs in which plenty of young Thai women with perfectly respectable jobs can be found letting their hair down. There's Q Bar, Bed Supperclub, Nest, Oskar, Levels, Above Eleven to name just a few..

SC

I much prefer to get hooked after a couple of drinks. Mawbury's off the list then. sad.png

When I say "we", obviously I mean us in general, but not me specifically; in fact, specifically, not me. Other us. Not me...Anyway, I don't go to places like that. Except maybe by mistake. Or in case they were showing the rugby...

SC

Not all the men in the area are lecherous lizards.

Lots of regular fellas around several perfectly respectable bars and clubs in which plenty of young Thai women with perfectly respectable jobs can be found letting their hair down. There's Q Bar, Bed Supperclub, Nest, Oskar, Levels, Above Eleven to name just a few..

"Not all the men ... are lecherous lizards.

Lots of regular fellas..."

You must know different regular fellas than the ones I grew up with and work with and drink with. To be honest,

SC

EDIT: Deleted comment that would lead to digression

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1