Bangkokians Back Weapons Searches: Poll

Lite Beer

Bangkokians back weapons searches: poll

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Residents and police in Bangkok back a measure that would allow people to be searched and arrested if found to be illegally possessing guns, in a bid to reduce fear of crime in the capital, according to the results of a poll released yesterday.

Abac Poll found that about 92 per cent of the respondents, who were residents of Bangkok, supported the measure. Some 62 per cent of police who responded to the survey, and 25 per cent of civilian respondents, said the measure significantly eased people's fear of crime.

The poll surveyed 441 Metropolitan Police officers and 1,392 people living in Bangkok from July 25 through Friday.

Most of the respondents (98 per cent) also said they wanted the Metropolitan Police to strictly arrest motorists driving over the speed limit.

Some 97 per cent also wanted the city police to strictly inspect and punish night entertainment venues that stayed open beyond the legal closing time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-05

Fine if they target the right people such as gangs of students, cabbies, and them wannabe coppers with heir utility belts and dangly keys; not tourist families walking down Sukhumwit with ballons....

I don't know ... maybe they should actually target balloon carrying farangs too along with the others you believe should be hassled because of their looks.

This is like a sutvey asking "do you like breathing" and happens all the time anyway.

This is a bit like the survey that achieved 100%support by offering only one choice. If you are ILLEGALLY carrying agun, it is illegal, duh.

Maybe the survey more accurately reflects the fact that bangkok residents would like the police to at least do their job to the bare minimum.

• Like 1

Sorry but I do not believe this poll at all because they forgot to ask one key question.

"If you were stopped for speeding or stopped searched and found to be holding a gun, should you be allowed to pay a bribe to get out of the situation or call your daddy up to sort the problem out for you with no recourse to you at all"

Poll result for that one; 95% saying yes, with 5% knowing they would never be stopped anyway because they drive the right car and have the right family for this never to be an issue.

• Like 2

Perhaps they should specify what weapons would be exempt, if any, could seriously cramp red shirts if grenade launchers are banned.

Newsflash......Thai police searched a red shirt tank........no weapon were foundlaugh.png

• Like 1

Ah. Weapons used with deadly force, driving above the posted (posted?) speed limit and making too much noise as an owner of an established business (not to mention those noise dens that are illegally established without a license).

And just how many of those polled are directly guilty, or guilty by association, of those same desires they wish were carried out?

The more one factors this out, the more complicated and impossible these wishes become.

• Like 1

dam_n it ! It's not going to help my case.

My wife doesn't want to sign the paper for us to have a gun. She says she is afraid I'm going to shoot someone !

Who does she think I am ? Some kind of lunatic who shoot empty bottles in his backyard ? Of course if I have a gun I'm going to shoot people !

Women !!!

Edited by JurgenG

"Some 97 per cent also wanted the city police to strictly inspect and punish night entertainment venues that stayed open beyond the legal closing time"

They'll be lucky

Leads you to wonder what section of Bkk was surveyed.................wink.png

Edit: Can't see the police voting here if there is tea-money involved

Edited by chrisinth

It will be "Thai discretionary." In other words, they will selectively profile those who look like they are not elite, privileged, but who can pay a little to walk. Just as they do now. Only guns to be checked not machetes, knives, brass knuckles, and ninja weapons.