A Depressing Day

Gary A

Just when I thought it could not get worse, short of workers, rubber prices in free fall, bills for car insurance, fridge repairs, builders piling up. Don't have enough money in the bank to keep drunk.

Wife tells me 2 more tappers have done a runner, they owed us 25,000 Baht and hearing the 50 Baht a kilo price, figured their share of the rubber would not cover the 25,000 Baht, so just packed up and left.

Now out here in the land that commonsense forgot, there is a prestige order. First comes the pickup truck, you have made the first step up the social ladder. Next comes the big SUV, you are now a 2 car family and ergo rich. The ultimate signl of success and social standing is a small car for errands.

So here I sit in my new patio, hungover from the beer and whiskey session last night and I here lots of voices. Go inside and say to the wife, who are these people.

You guessed it, here to deliver our new car, what new car.

Father in law has bought a Mazda 2, we all live in the same house, so our new car.

I say don't look at me to be helping to pay for it, can't afford the stupid big Pajero as it is.

No father will pay for it out of his Government salary, sure he will for the first 3 months, then the wife will say, it's cheaper to run than the Pajero and we will save money taking the kids to school, then will will take over the payments.

Think everyone is in for a shock, bad rubber price and no tappers and there will be no money. It will be sticky rice and frogs and all better get used to walking. Jim

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jurgan,

im sorry to burst your bubble but they will just poisen your dogs,, it happens mate,

im sticking to the fear fact if you read my other post, the things arnt there like the nails through wood but they dont know that, and they keep away

jake

Thats correct they will poison the dogs.

In our village one night all the soi dogs in our soi were killed by poison. The thieves stole the old brass and copper urns that the dead ancesters ashes were put in from the outdoor monuments to the dead.Apparently the older pots are antiques, and worth a bit.

Sick bastards or what!!

Very sick indeed re poisoning the dogs and the theft.

Jim, for entertainment purposes only, if I lived near you I would dress u as a Mormon trying to recruit you to Amway, at least it woudl cheer you up as you throw me out feet first cheesy.gif

Living with inlaws is #1 sin in Thailand = HUGE STRESS bah.gif

Jim, for entertainment purposes only, if I lived near you I would dress u as a Mormon trying to recruit you to Amway, at least it woudl cheer you up as you throw me out feet first cheesy.gif

Living with inlaws is #1 sin in Thailand = HUGE STRESS

Yes, but you have to laugh at the goings on, As I walk by the new Mazda 2 sport, I can't help but laugh. Who buys a car with 5 inch road clearance when you live in the jungle, no real roads. As long as it costs me nothing and my kids have all they need, we have food and I have beer the world will turn. Life is a ride, just got to go with the flow and no matter what happens it's better than rolling around the floor fighting a psycho murderer in a max prison in OZ, which was my other life. Jim

hi boys,

what i did when i noticed that someone had been coming through our hedge towords our fish pond,

i got some fishing hooks tied them to line, hung them from branches head hight,

then this is the best bit, my wifes freind is a very big gossip in our village, so i took her to show her the hooks and told her that there was other traps that people couldnt see all over our land, told her there was peices of wood with nails knocked through so if they stood on these the nails would go into there feet,

it got all around,, i havnt got it all, but they dont jnow that,,lol

jake

5555 yup think that is maybe the only thing likely to work...we have a local "newspaper lady" as we call her..owns a restaurant where cops eat etc...told her and the cops we have gun and cameras and some other stuff..no idea if it works .especially for transients

the other day mid afternoon spotted some very black and butch looking girls dressed in rubber cutting gear with buckets cruising the locale... I stopped the truck waited till they passed and crawled along behind...they eventually realized what was happening did a u'ey and sped a way....

..the local noodle lady tells the wife they are from up north and have been around a lot and eating noodles usually with a bucket or two of cup rubber hanging on the bike.

.life goes on...555

like your style JIM!! Scotch with beer chasers...lol

We lose some fish now and again but not on a large scale. What annoyed me was when we emptied a large pond (for rice irrigation) and sold most of the fish, an old lady spent all day trying to remove all the really tiny ones that were left (purposely). She got enough for one meal I think and more or less destocked. I don't think there was anything I could say or do, she was obviously hungry. Even if I had given her some fish she would have been back the next day.

I only do it as a hobby thank goodness.

Pond fish thieves ?

Try this: Put a few strings of barbed wire into the pond. About 30 to 50 cm below surface. (Not visible). That way you will be able to sell some damageged fishing-nets on the local market with the additional benefit that your fish will still be in the pond !

When trapping the pond with barbed-wire, make sure nobody observes you while doing that, not even your wife !

Also attach an ordinary plastic fishing thread to one of the barb-wire strings (also invisible, especially during the night) and attach the end to a bell in your house or any other noise making device.

This works at least one time, after that, they get wise (and everybody in the village will get "wise" also in no time at all.) You know what I mean.

- There are a number of ways to secure any part of any property without expensive electronical devices. (A long time ago, I was trained for such things, at the expense of the governement,) If I wasen't retired and basically a lazy old fart and would be 20 years younger, I would probably make it a business here in Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Living with inlaws is #1 sin in Thailand = HUGE STRESS

Yes, but you have to laugh at the goings on, As I walk by the new Mazda 2 sport, I can't help but laugh. Who buys a car with 5 inch road clearance when you live in the jungle, no real roads. As long as it costs me nothing and my kids have all they need, we have food and I have beer the world will turn. Life is a ride, just got to go with the flow and no matter what happens it's better than rolling around the floor fighting a psycho murderer in a max prison in OZ, which was my other life. Jim

Hope you learned to stop fighting with the warders jim.whistling.gif

Sometimes I am quite tempted to move back to my Jomtien condo where the security is very good and forget about having anything here up country.

Sorry to hear this Gary

It really was a depressing thread to read. It caught my eye

when browsing the forum as it was at the main page.

As much as I dislike living in a condo your reason given is the reason I stay.

Have had homes all my life till moving here & really miss having one now.

But as you said security is very good in most condo's.

Hope things get better for you. It would depress the heck out of me to know

folks who live nearby & know me would steal from me.

What is the electrical source they are using to stun the fish? Where is it located? It sure ain't a truck battery.

Maybe consider eliminating the power supply...

I have seen locals fishing in rice field canals using this method.

It is just a small motorcycle battery that they recharge with a solar panel in the fields.

They throw the battery in a back pack & run leads down two sticks to the probes

Another set of wires goes to the button switch in his other hand

Edited by mania

What is the electrical source they are using to stun the fish? Where is it located? It sure ain't a truck battery.

Having asked the locals how it is done was not very productive but they did say that the device does indeed get the power from a truck battery. I know they didn't get any power near the pond because the property has no electric supply.

Read this for answer :

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5031324

12v Battery... not truck battery, no one would carry a truck battery in their haver sack, imagine the weight...

Edited by RedBullHorn

Having asked the locals how it is done was not very productive but they did say that the device does indeed get the power from a truck battery. I know they didn't get any power near the pond because the property has no electric supply.

a 12 v battery seems to be all thats required, http://tinyurl.com/8e66quf

I'm sure the locals can MacSomchai something up for much less than this that runs on a mc battery.

I'm not sure that other than camping out or hiring a guard if there is any practcal way to secure a remote pond.

Maybe it's more about doing what you can with the land rather than doing what you really want.

a 12 v battery seems to be all thats required, http://tinyurl.com/8e66quf

I'm sure the locals can MacSomchai something up for much less than this that runs on a mc battery.

I'm not sure that other than camping out or hiring a guard if there is any practcal way to secure a remote pond.

Maybe it's more about doing what you can with the land rather than doing what you really want.

The website said $799 + $26 shipping fee !!!!!!cheesy.gif

I paid :

invertor DC-AC = ฿400,

Battery charger = ฿800 - ฿1'200,

GS 12v Battery + 2 bottle battery acid = ฿760,

bell switch = ฿15,

6m 2x0.5 soft wires = ฿42,

Black wiring tape = ฿10,

Bamboo rod x 2 = Free !

Left rod scoop net = DIY ! tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Trust me GaryA, nobody will carry a stupid 20kg Truck Battery on their back for leisure fishing (illegally)...including me~

I'm sure they wouldn't carry it on their backs since they are able to carry many things on the back of motorbikes. It's not too unusual to see a 100 kilo hog strapped on. They don't even bother to strap down bags of rice or fertilizer. My wife can carry a bag of fertilizer on the back and a sack of rice in front of her. They wouldn't even have to take the battery off the bike since they could park right beside the pond.

It's really hard to say how many kilos of fish they got. There were several catfish that were huge. I was always amused when feeding them. I know several were five kilos or more. The huge ones would swim over the top of the smaller ones and would just open their mouth and scoop up fish pellets like an end loader. A rough guess would be a hundred kilos of fish.

From what I have heard, the bigger the fish the easier they are to stun. The more body mass the bigger shock they receive. I tend to believe that because there appear to be a lot of small ones left. I haven't fed them since I discovered all the big ones were gone.

I probably made it easier for the thieves because I always fed them at the same place so they would stay in that one place and wait. That's the spot where the bastards left the wires in the water.

So they use a 12 fall or possibly 24 V battery, and it is believed that they use a small inverter. I think you can make a cheap boogy-trap, switch to activate the system on and off maybe just use a chang leaver switch that is some distance away from the pond you can turn off when you approach and reactivate by turning on after you leave the pond.He then run common mains power 220 V with current to some bare cables to a section where you think they are most likely to stand when illegally fishing and stealing your fish you try and keep this area wet where it are having a lower than the rest of the area you also run the same wires into the pond sees wires should be discreet.

The whole system is activated by a sensor switch that automatically turns on when the voltage in the water hits 50 volts, that is in the water of the pond. So when they rock up with the truck battery on the back of the Honda wave through an inverter stick it into your pond on bamboo rods and then turn on their electrocution system the fish are going to die anyway, now you can get them where they're standing and pump 220 V through the whole system and zapped them dead and let their hair fry.

Remember I say keep a discrete then when you find the bodies the next morning the bad fisherman will be laying there dead with all their equipment to steal your fish very easy for the cops to then say it is just a suicidal thief accident, what you think ???

They wont do it again, and word will get around that their are ghost at that pond, it wont happen again.

Cheap and brilliantgiggle.gif .

Edited by jcw

So they use a 12 fall or possibly 24 V battery, and it is believed that they use a small inverter. I think you can make a cheap boogy-trap, switch to activate the system on and off maybe just use a chang leaver switch that is some distance away from the pond you can turn off when you approach and reactivate by turning on after you leave the pond.He then run common mains power 220 V with current to some bare cables to a section where you think they are most likely to stand when illegally fishing and stealing your fish you try and keep this area wet where it are having a lower than the rest of the area you also run the same wires into the pond sees wires should be discreet.

The whole system is activated by a sensor switch that automatically turns on when the voltage in the water hits 50 volts, that is in the water of the pond. So when they rock up with the truck battery on the back of the Honda wave through an inverter stick it into your pond on bamboo rods and then turn on their electrocution system the fish are going to die anyway, now you can get them where they're standing and pump 220 V through the whole system and zapped them dead and let their hair fry.

Remember I say keep a discrete then when you find the bodies the next morning the bad fisherman will be laying there dead with all their equipment to steal your fish very easy for the cops to then say it is just a suicidal thief accident, what you think ???

They wont do it again, and word will get around that their are ghost at that pond, it wont happen again.

Cheap and brilliantgiggle.gif .

It's boggling that you took the time to write this.

• Like 1

kill them for a few fish,,,

blimy ill stick to my way,,,lol,

Well, they trespass deliberately with the intention to steal my lively hood And the result is my family will go hungry, and don't forget they are coming to deliberately use electrocution, sometimes accidents happen. In this case pooh-pooh happens. I would definitely have a sign up warning people that trespasses may be injured, or suffer death if they cross, I think the life expectancy of the following year's crop of fish would be much better with if the ghosts nearby of last years fish thief's.

You should see the setup I invented to protect some potential bacon piggies. poison arrows and all

Edited by jcw

kill them for a few fish,,,

blimy ill stick to my way,,,lol,

Well, they trespass deliberately with the intention to steal my lively hood And the result is my family will go hungry, and don't forget they are coming to deliberately use electrocution, sometimes accidents happen. In this case pooh-pooh happens. I would definitely have a sign up warning people that trespasses may be injured, or suffer death if they cross, I think the life expectancy of the following year's crop of fish would be much better with if the ghosts nearby of last years fish thief's.

You should see the setup I invented to protect some potential bacon piggies. poison arrows and all

At first I thought this was just a badly written, not particularly clever and poorly thought out joke.

But your reply seems to indicate that you are serious.

if so, you should go and search for the granny being charged with murder for killing an intruder after wiring her electric fence to the mains.

You are able to use force in Thailand to protect property, but a lethal mantrap will put you in the hole.