3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

ouch, thats not what i would expect from a 1.2M+ vehicle.

So how easy and costly is it to change the audio system?

Pretty easy (but I would say costly - other posters may fill you on this). To upgrade the PJS with the new entertainment system of Alpine with the dealer will cost you 40 K. You can have it done aftermarket, but it will cost you the loss of your warranty on the electric system.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty easy (but I would say costly - other posters may fill you on this). To upgrade the PJS with the new entertainment system of Alpine with the dealer will cost you 40 K. You can have it done aftermarket, but it will cost you the loss of your warranty on the electric system.

Thanks, Maybe that price is negotiable as part of the purchasing incentives? Speaking of warranty, how long is the warranty on a PJS and Fortuner?

Thanks, Maybe that price is negotiable as part of the purchasing incentives? Speaking of warranty, how long is the warranty on a PJS and Fortuner?

If you are buying a PJS 2012 (old model), you may negotiate that the dealer puts it up to level with the 2013 model for free... As to the warranty, it is 3 yrs or 100.000 kms, whichever comes first.

Really preferable to keep your car standard, as the modification could have so many ripple effects on your warranty.

Isn't the quality of audio over bluetooth so so compared to the cable?

I had my new camera system installed in the PJS. Alpine HCE-C300R with discount from Alpine as a supplier :) Quite happy with it and better than the standard system in the PJS.

I can't tell the difference, I use mostly the phone with the TuneIn Radio app.

I prefer 'Grooveshark'....

Has streaming music stations based upon genre, but also let's you search and play songs from a database of over 15 million songs... You can also set up play lists

.... Almost forgot to mention the one of the best parts of the stations... It has a "skip it" option, so if a song comes on you don't care for, just skip it and go on to the next song

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by CWMcMurray

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have the 2013 PJS 2WD which comes with the orange lit Alpine head unit and it has Bluetooth installed but needs the mic for connectivity. I called M-Tech (official dist of Alpine) and they say that is all that's needed and it would cost 2,200 THB for it. For A/V usb connectivity with my iphone would need a special cable 1,200 THB the usual Apple usb that comes with the charger only provides audio out and connects with the Alpine system quite well.

I'm wondering about the GPS whether paying for it to be activated is worth it or not but am leaning towards a separate unit like Garmin...

Hi, I have the 2013 PJS 2WD which comes with the orange lit Alpine head unit and it has Bluetooth installed but needs the mic for connectivity. I called M-Tech (official dist of Alpine) and they say that is all that's needed and it would cost 2,200 THB for it. For A/V usb connectivity with my iphone would need a special cable 1,200 THB the usual Apple usb that comes with the charger only provides audio out and connects with the Alpine system quite well.

I'm wondering about the GPS whether paying for it to be activated is worth it or not but am leaning towards a separate unit like Garmin...

I have the same model car as you and I was told by the official Alpine guys that the mike needed for BT to function would be more like 3000thb which seems a complete rippoff for just a wired microphone. I think it can be had much cheaper on Ebay but I haven't taken the time to really look into this. I also need to check around some of the car audio shops in Pattaya and see if they sell a cheaper solution.

The GPS function is not just disabled but you actually need to purchase a GPS receiver for this system to work. Not sure on the pricing for the official one but my guess is it's not cheap. The TV tuner needed to get that functioning is over 20k from the alpine dealer. Again, total rippoff to have that hardware added to our existing systems. You could buy a fully new system that included that function for less.

Personally, I have a good garmin with Thai maps that I haven't used for years since I have google maps with navigation enabled on my smart phone and that seems to do the trick for me when GPS is needed.

• Like 1

I have the same model car as you and I was told by the official Alpine guys that the mike needed for BT to function would be more like 3000thb which seems a complete rippoff for just a wired microphone. I think it can be had much cheaper on Ebay but I haven't taken the time to really look into this. I also need to check around some of the car audio shops in Pattaya and see if they sell a cheaper solution.

The GPS function is not just disabled but you actually need to purchase a GPS receiver for this system to work. Not sure on the pricing for the official one but my guess is it's not cheap. The TV tuner needed to get that functioning is over 20k from the alpine dealer. Again, total rippoff to have that hardware added to our existing systems. You could buy a fully new system that included that function for less.

Personally, I have a good garmin with Thai maps that I haven't used for years since I have google maps with navigation enabled on my smart phone and that seems to do the trick for me when GPS is needed.

yeah, I hear the PJS4x4 has all the options aside from it having 4wheel drive for another 100kTHB so it looks like a really good deal from the options standpoint but wish they didn't hold back on the options list for the 2WD model....oh well...

I tried the google maps as well as the iphone maps with a regular USB line but cant get the voice prompts to link over the audio or video...the call center for M-Tech said that even with the special A/V cable the maps wont display over the console or overhead display... it would be great if the voice prompts could be routed through audio although at times it does get annoying...

yeah, I hear the PJS4x4 has all the options aside from it having 4wheel drive for another 100kTHB so it looks like a really good deal from the options standpoint but wish they didn't hold back on the options list for the 2WD model....oh well...

I tried the google maps as well as the iphone maps with a regular USB line but cant get the voice prompts to link over the audio or video...the call center for M-Tech said that even with the special A/V cable the maps wont display over the console or overhead display... it would be great if the voice prompts could be routed through audio although at times it does get annoying...

Over the long weekend I took the PJS over to Kangkrachan and Huahin and was delighted to find out that Siri navigated me through the audio! Apple maps also did a good job on the navigation part... :)

9 months ownership of the PJS, and time for another ownership report.

I went upcountry to Boklua this time. A 788 kms route from BKK, done at one go. And a lovely mountain road to experiment the ease of turning the PJS in tight curves. No special issues about that, as the car can handle itself nicely despite the constraints.

While I have no special comments on the drive from BKK up north, the mountain was the first occasion of experimenting the manual gear change functionality. Two comments on that... 1° When it functions, it is a great functionality for choosing the right gear and then up-shifting when the car is in the descent (and avoid the over-revving which occurs when in "D"); 2° The annoying part is that often, the manual gear remains blocked in 2nd gear, even in a descent. It only gets solved by stopping the car, putting it into neutral before moving on (either in D or in manual).

Rather annoying, but I have not yet got around to taking it to the service center for this issue.

Boklua roads and the road from Nan to Boklua are quite damaged and as close to "off-roading" as it can get. The roads and the sights are a pleasure to behold, and driving there is really lovely. Mountain driving is however quite demanding on fuel consumption. It ended up at a 9.1 km/L result.An average speed of 100 kms/h gives a 13.17 km/L consumption (remark: this was with diesel and not Vpower).

On a side note, it is the second or third time that the suction holders for my dash cam give way under the heat. To be noted however that the suction holders of my garmin valliantly stood the test of time! So, this time, looking for a more stable manner of affixing that dash cam to my windshield...

My parking brake, instead may have run into some damage, as a few times, the parking brake remained fixed in the last lower position.... And I nevertheless managed to take the car up to 50 kph! I will have that checked in the next service.

Now that I have seen the photos of your car I certainly see why you have some blind spot issues around the A pillar and the weather shields. They are quite large so remove those and you will have no issues at all!!

I went upcountry to Boklua this time. A 788 kms route from BKK, done at one go. And a lovely mountain road to experiment the ease of turning the PJS in tight curves. No special issues about that, as the car can handle itself nicely despite the constraints.

While I have no special comments on the drive from BKK up north, the mountain was the first occasion of experimenting the manual gear change functionality. Two comments on that... 1° When it functions, it is a great functionality for choosing the right gear and then up-shifting when the car is in the descent (and avoid the over-revving which occurs when in "D"); 2° The annoying part is that often, the manual gear remains blocked in 2nd gear, even in a descent. It only gets solved by stopping the car, putting it into neutral before moving on (either in D or in manual).

Rather annoying, but I have not yet got around to taking it to the service center for this issue.

Boklua roads and the road from Nan to Boklua are quite damaged and as close to "off-roading" as it can get. The roads and the sights are a pleasure to behold, and driving there is really lovely. Mountain driving is however quite demanding on fuel consumption. It ended up at a 9.1 km/L result.An average speed of 100 kms/h gives a 13.17 km/L consumption (remark: this was with diesel and not Vpower).

On a side note, it is the second or third time that the suction holders for my dash cam give way under the heat. To be noted however that the suction holders of my garmin valliantly stood the test of time! So, this time, looking for a more stable manner of affixing that dash cam to my windshield...

My parking brake, instead may have run into some damage, as a few times, the parking brake remained fixed in the last lower position.... And I nevertheless managed to take the car up to 50 kph! I will have that checked in the next service.

you're probably well aware that the paddle shifters should be able to disengage and automatically default to D by holding the right paddle up for 2 seconds. It might be that the 'hill descent assist' is keeping it in 2nd gear though but less likely. You might have to the service center check it out... I noticed though that even in manual mode activated by using the paddle shifters with the shifter stick in D the box automatically downshifts depending on the speed youre travelling and you can only upshift manually if your speed picks up to a certain point....

you're probably well aware that the paddle shifters should be able to disengage and automatically default to D by holding the right paddle up for 2 seconds. It might be that the 'hill descent assist' is keeping it in 2nd gear though but less likely. You might have to the service center check it out... I noticed though that even in manual mode activated by using the paddle shifters with the shifter stick in D the box automatically downshifts depending on the speed youre travelling and you can only upshift manually if your speed picks up to a certain point....

There may be a downshift, the issue here is that when the speed picks up, either in "D" (I tried getting back in that mode to no avail) or in manual, it stays blocked on 2nd gear. and overrevs. As to the "hill descent assistance", I am not sure that function is available on the PJS.

I don't know if it is called hill descent assistance, but when going downhill or decending a bridge, if you tap on the brakes, the engine downshifts to a lower gear to aid in slowing the car down. However, if it doesnt disengage and change gears as speed increases, you might really have a gearbox problem and should take it back for service...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now at 10 months and 17 K kms. What has become with the car? Well, as kilometers accumulate, the car itself is also aging slowly. I can see the tires starting to show some sign of aging, and somehow this testifies to the number of kilometers being driven and the harsh roads it has driven through. I felt a bit nostalgic in seeing it age this way. It is always very well maintained, but age is showing on some things. The memories built with this car were unique.

In the meantime, my car has collected another scratch in the back, this one being purely my fault (came back from taking a visiting lawyer out in BKK and was way too tired when parking in my condo). The scratch extends from the metal to the back plastic fender. :(

On the side of the gas consumption, I have been a bit lax with tire pressure (let it go down to 26 psi in city), and this immediately showed its effects on both, handling and gas consumption. I pumped it up to 35 PSI, and not only was the driving far more incisive and precise, especially in curves, but the motor was lugging less at low speed to get started from stop. Useless to say, the fuel efficiency also suffered a lot. So, a clear statement to keep your tires pumped up!

I have also had the big issue of the suction cups for dash cams falling down or not resisting too well at the sun (not to say that they also damage the film on the windshield). I ended up buying replacement cups on Ebay (served quickly, within 10 days), as the sellers in Worachak were all refusing to sell me that accessory.

I have been called at my office by a salesman from Tokyo Marine for renewing my insurance... The funny thing was that he did NOT want to talk to me. He was trying to get the thai staff to convey me the message... When I returned his call, all I got was a "Hallo, Krap?", repeated two or three times... Then he hung up on me! He also tried to call me... Same result! That pissed me off enough that he can be sure I won't buy insurance from him!

Been approaching brokers to get a quote for my insurance renewal and so far what I got was an insured value of around 860 K to 900 K and a cost of 23 K/year. A bit expensive, as the value insured is even lesser than the previous year, but also I have had one year with no claims.The cost appears to be the same as the Diamond insurance I got for free last year.

No mechanical issues to note, so far (except the mention on the gear change in mountains in a previous post).

One general remark now, on car wash services. While washing and waxing seems good, in general, they always neglect cleaning the upholstery inside (seats!). This is general, from the 450 THB cleaning at Siam Paragon, to the 1.700 THB "premium" car wash at Central World. So far, I found the most satisfactory to be at Central Chidlom department store, where for 500 THB, they will even give you two sprays (desodorizing and leather cleaner). But they still fail to clean the seats!

I got my insurance at Tokyo Marine this year for 21,653 THB and the car is insured for 950,000 THB (Pajero Sport GT 2WD bought in April 2012).

I think I got a good deal. Maybe because I can speak Japanese to their Japanese sales person :)

Have only had one claim experience with Tokio Marine, and sad to report it was a terrible one. After 9 months, and insurance already lapsed, they still hadn't fixed the car (minor damage). In the end, I had to go buy the parts myself and claim back the expense (which took them 3 months to pay back). Will never insure with them again.

For memory, the last insurance for our 2010 PJS was ~15K Baht through Thanachart - which included additional 90K Baht cover for wheels, GPS, entertainment system upgrades etc. Have claimed twice through them on our pickup truck, and both time went smoothly without any hassles at all.

I have had 2 claims with Tokio Marine and both were handled very professionally.

1. Window shattered -> huge rock fell from a truck bounced on the motorway and hit my front window at 100 km/h.

Received claim nr within 5 minutes and they sent me to the nearest Mitsubishi dealer. Window was fixed in a couple of hours.

2. Front fender got hit by a motorcycle.

Guy from Tokio Marine was there within 30 minutes and handled everything for me. He even spoke English which is a plus because my Thai isn't always up to level :)

It depends from person to person probably. Many people are happy with their insurance company whilst others are not.

However I always deal with the Japanese sales staff so maybe their service is better?

It is weird, I got a call from a broker who said she works for Mitsubishi... And she said that Tokyo Marine's service is bad with regards to repairs. LOL

She was trying to orient me towards Bangkok bank insurance. Offer: 21 K for 900.000 THB insured. I told her I wanted 1 million. :D

Actually many workers at dealers (not only Mitsubishi) work for insurance brokers. I got a call once from a guy from Toyota who worked for TQM and he told me that since my insurance is almost up I should start looking for a new one.

Tokio Marine service with repairs ain't too bad if you live in Bangkok. They usually send you to one of the main Mitsubishi repair centers (Hua Mark, etc). If you can live with that their service is great.

I used to be with Bangkok Bang insurance and their service was good too. I used SCB insurance and it wasn't bad either.

I stayed with Tokio Marine, because they helped me twice without problems, can speak Japanese and offered me 950,000 THB insurance value. Which is more than Bangkok Bank offered me (900,000).

Actually many workers at dealers (not only Mitsubishi) work for insurance brokers. I got a call once from a guy from Toyota who worked for TQM and he told me that since my insurance is almost up I should start looking for a new one.

Tokio Marine service with repairs ain't too bad if you live in Bangkok. They usually send you to one of the main Mitsubishi repair centers (Hua Mark, etc). If you can live with that their service is great.

I used to be with Bangkok Bang insurance and their service was good too. I used SCB insurance and it wasn't bad either.

I stayed with Tokio Marine, because they helped me twice without problems, can speak Japanese and offered me 950,000 THB insurance value. Which is more than Bangkok Bank offered me (900,000).

Similar experience for myself that I was getting calls from brokers on behalf of Tokio Marine many months ahead of expiration just to "reserve my premium". Seems a very competitive business being an insurance broker!! I told them all to go away and leave me alone until it was due and then just used somebody from my office who also sells insurance to look around for a good deal and renew for me. She ended up keeping me with Tokio Marine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... today the travels with the PJS took a tragic color... while driving on the highway... I was in the rightmost lane and saw a man about to cross the highway. I slowed down by safety... but the guy took it as a clue to cross.

The problem was that on the lane adjacent to mine there was a 18-wheeler. It saw the guy crossing swerved to the left to avoid him... the guy ran even faster in front of the truck!

All he was carrying flew up in the air... and after... he rolled under the wheels of the truck... A bloody aftermath ensued... with bits of body being projected everywhere.

The truck stopped. And I stopped as well. As a first aid helper, there was nothing I could do for the poor devil. He was completely mangled and his body was shredded... including all organs that came out.

I put a safety triangle to warn oncoming drivers, then went to park further. I later came back to the scene to bear witness to the police. That's the first time I see death happening before my eyes. It is still tough... but it confirms my thinking about the very bad appreciation of distances by Thais. RIP poor guy. :(

Back in BKK, and after the horrible scene of yesterday (guy transformed in mince meat by an 18-wheeler), it seemed like today everybody was keen for a suicide. On my way back, I had at least two occurrences of people crossing the highway on foot with a very, very bad sense of timing. First occasion was an old guy crossing slowly the whole highway. The pickup before me managed to stop for him, me too... And there was a huge truck coming behind at speed! Fortunately, slowed down enough so that when I took off, there was no risk. Turbo lag was very annoying there!

The second was a guy who decided to cross in front of MY car (I was in the middle lane, at 80 kph...) This one managed to get in the middle of the highway safely (the van on the right lane saw him, luckily enough).

The scene I saw and these occurrences of crossing highways seem a tragic reminder about how safety and appreciation of risk seem extraneous to the mind of the ordinary Thai. Considering this, I am not astonished that drivers get into accidents so easily. There is no focus on the other as object of the attention, nor is there any empathy. Just a lot of self-centering which can be deadly. Beyond me, four or five other cars saw the accident. Not one stopped to advise the authorities or see what they could do - admittedly nothing could be done at all for the victim who was clearly dead. There was a group of thais who were looking at the body... Almost amused. :(

In France, there is also one or two occurrences of accidents of people crossing highways every year. Generally gypsies or such, so I kept on reminding myself that this happened elsewhere too. I was just unlucky to witness it.

The police was quite kind and glad to receive my testimony. However, they had some problem with understanding me, and so requested to call me back to get someone speaking thai.

I reviewed the video (my dash cam captured the accident)... And indeed, the guy was so focused on crossing while avoiding cars that he seems to have neglected that a truck also drives fast. This very truck had just overtaken another truck by swerving abruptly into the rightmost lane... After having overtaken the other truck, it hit that guy. I will not post the accident here, as I do not believe it bring anything to see something so graphic.

It was another reminder for me to be very careful on the road and to always be aware of my surroundings. Somehow, it gave me a very bitter taste about driving. The image of that poor guy stayed with me the whole day yesterday, and today. I am just grateful that it did not happen because of me.

A life is so fragile... And we must all take all our precautions to protect it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after the tragic event mentioned in my previous two posts, things have been better. Somehow getting over that disgust of driving which had hit me after that sight.

My car is now at over 18.000 km, and will be due soon for its 1-yr/20 K km service.

I switched back to ordinary diesel for my gas fill-up yesterday. The contrast is quite remarkable to my ears, and I noticed it several times now. The motor runs softer, clatters less, and acceleration seems easier. I think I am saying goodbye to Vpower now, as the driving quality and motor noise seem much better without.

I had also my tires filled again at the station (Shell). The funny thing was to observe the guy filling the tires. Never watched the gauge while filling, but was pressing the tires with his hands... LOL I did not dare check the pressure after that.

My tires are also starting to look used now... No more that feeling of seeing new tires. I guess they are quite late for their rotation. :( Finally, in roaming around, I found one dealership where they seem to have state of the art facilities... The one on Ramkamhaeng. While professional looking, the one obstacle is their lack of comprehension of English. I guess, need to get a Thai friend along to get a good service. ;)

Besides that, my one qualm with dash cams is an unsatisfactory vision on the back window. I saw that more recently they develop cameras with a separate rear camera, which might be solving the issue.

So you are saying that normal diesel is better than the shell vpower? I have ONLY used vpower so I can't even compare. I know that the vpower I pay 32.95thb/l and the normal is a few thb less per liter. Would be interetsed know if your gas mileage is effected with the normal stuff.

An excellent thread by the OP indeed. He (or she) has spent time putting a lot of information in that post which can benefit many, I'm fully aware how much effort went into that. I'm currently interested in a Ford Everest from Ford Phetchburi (the Province, not the Road). The dealer has been helpful but we haven't talked figures until she brings it to my home tomorrow for a test drive.

In the showroom today, she had the longest legs and the shortest skirt I have ever seen. Quite honestly I don't mind if she drives it from my house, instead of me, because the view will be breathtaking either way.

In some ways, OP, your experiences of harsh treatment, such as bullying over the copying of other dealers' offers and insisting that you sign away all indemnity for damage, that stinks, frankly. I'm personally more inclined to go for the pleasant non-pushy dealer with the less-advantageous deal, than the persuadable but stressful dealer from whom I can potentially get a better deal.