Psychologist/Psychiatrist In Pattaya

Becker

My wife is going through a rough patch due to two recent deaths in her family and, unfortunately she seems to need more help than I can give her. She's just not able to sleep and it's really affecting her health.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good mental health professional for Thai people in the Pattaya area?

Actually this post should be moved to the health forum. I have had excellent luck in there. There are some really helpful people that reply in there on several different issues.

I understand it is a Pattaya related post but maybe you can just try a new post in the health forum?

I'm sorry to hear what your wife is going through. That can be very difficult and I hope she snaps out of it soon.

I did deal with the Psyc. Doctors in BPH for my 84 year old dad and must say that they are expensive (not saying money is an issue in your case) and mostly just like to prescribe pills with many follow-up visits.

Be very careful when checking out credentials. If you look at lot of the BPH Psych's, then it looks like they have done lots overseas. Most of it is attending conferences.

The other problem is that they generally like to prescribe bucket loads of the latest expensive medications without doing much in the way of therapy (this is from my experience). Medications are not going to be the answer for what you have indicated in your post. You may find that Manoram is a better option, which specializes in Psychiatry and they also have Psychologists available.

Be very careful when checking out credentials. If you look at lot of the BPH Psych's, then it looks like they have done lots overseas. Most of it is attending conferences.

The other problem is that they generally like to prescribe bucket loads of the latest expensive medications without doing much in the way of therapy (this is from my experience). Medications are not going to be the answer for what you have indicated in your post. You may find that Manoram is a better option, which specializes in Psychiatry and they also have Psychologists available.

I agree, from the OP's description it's not a matter for a psychiatrist. A (bereavement) counsellor might be an alternative.

Edit: Try to find a professional with a cultural/ ethnic background similar to that of your wife.

Edited by Morakot

From your post I assume your wife is Thai. Not being religious myself I realize I'm on shaky ground here, but traditionally I think priests and presumably monks are supposed to work as grief counselors. Assuming (again) that she is a buddhist perhaps one of the temples can help?

• Like 1

Could you please explain who/what Manoram is?

I'm not sure what's the best bet, psychologist or psychiatrist. I only know she needs help right away so I have booked an appointment for her tomorrow with a psychiatrist. I agree that loads of meds are not going to help her in the long run, and that's always a danger when going to a Thai doctor.

Anyway, hoping for the best but expecting no miracles.

From your post I assume your wife is Thai. Not being religious myself I realize I'm on shaky ground here, but traditionally I think priests and presumably monks are supposed to work as grief counselors. Assuming (again) that she is a buddhist perhaps one of the temples can help?

Hi Phil,

Yes, my wife is Thai and a practising buddhist. I have actually suggested this to her but her faith in the monks is too low.

Manoram is a large private mental health center in Bkk which provides the full range of services, including various types of therapy/counselling, psychiatry etc

http://www.manarom.com/index_eng.html

From what you describe though I suggest she consider a 10 day Vipassana meditation retreat. This link will show schedules for courses in Thailand at centers which are not Wats, and taught usually by lay people (though a small number of the teachers are monks). No chanting or ritual, just the pure technique as taught by the Buddha. Both the practice and the nightly Dhamma talks go straight to the heart of the matter of what ails her.

http://www.dhamma.org/en/bycountry/ap/th.shtml

• 7 years later...

I was visiting Bangkok Hospital Pattaya a couple of weeks ago, but all I received were (overpriced) meds. Not happy with the so-called 'counseling' by the Thai doctors there either.

Looking further, I found an English and German speaking counselor close to the former 'Tonys Gym' on 3rd road, he can be found googling for 'Counseling Center Pattaya'. Not perfect English, but very professional and supportive for what I needed at that time.

-

Edit: oh, I missed you were looking for Thai-speaking counselors. I don't think he speaks Thai. Anyhoo, hope this helps someone (the topic title doesn't specify the language)

Edited by pepi2005