Mars Rover Curiosity Lands On Surface Of Red Planet

webfact

Jaded perhaps. Realistic may be a better adjective,

Take a look at our planet and judge for yourself. Perhaps stopping useless expenditures for space, weapons, and wars and using these assests to help those humans who live on this planet may be the way to go. I am sure I am wrong. But I think all those with the bravado of knowing "everything" that have come before us have only demonstrated that no culture, person, or governace has ever gotten it right.

And I don't either.

Just imagine if humans didn't explore ...

We'd all still be in Africa.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Take a look at our planet and judge for yourself. Perhaps stopping useless expenditures for space, weapons, and wars and using these assests to help those humans who live on this planet may be the way to go. I am sure I am wrong. But I think all those with the bravado of knowing "everything" that have come before us have only demonstrated that no culture, person, or governace has ever gotten it right.

And I don't either.

Just imagine if humans didn't explore ...

We'd all still be in Africa.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Exactly...It easy to be cynical and I am not so naive as to think exploration is not about achievement and kudos.... up to a point but I believe that all technology programs do in fact benefit and advance mankind.....probably thousands of spin offs from space exploration that are in daily use....Artificial heart, Jaws of life, Home insulation, Teflon....etc are all spin offs....google !

Way to go NASA..

lot of info about space etc ...space.com

Edited by David006

Ridiculous waste of money that could have been used for assisiting humans on this planet. I saw the waste when I was a kid in the 1950s & 1960s. Space Race with the Russians - Sputnik - Apollo "BS"-- men on the moon! (Maybe!), Machines to Mars? Useless!

Then war after war -- Vietnam, Middle East Wars, Bosnia, Iraq, You name it!

And this space idiocy is still being funded and people actually care about this useless BS? Cant even get this small planet to work and function properly.

Unbelievable!

So tomorrow you will step into your car, fire up the GPS, and be on your way knowing it's going to be a good weather day and after a night watching your favorite TV programs via satelite feed. blink.png

And I don't either.

I agree to a point, especially about our military budget being higher the next 26 nations combined and all but two of those are our allies.

Nevertheless, I am not sure one has right to complain unless one actually pays taxes in US. Most don't, even those living in US. Why should US give countries like Thailand millions each year when we have needs at home not being met. Space exploration does create a lot of jobs and opportunities for those in the US.

I am more okay with my tax money going to NASA budget than millions spent training Thai military or lining pockets of Thai politicians or politicians of other countries. I don't think our financial aide really gets to where it is always intended.

I am totally cool with helping like 2004 tsunami, Haiiti quake, 2011 Tsunami and etc.

Question: the data collected from the flight and all -- this stuff isn't distributed freely, right? This stuff is sold?

NASA created technology is in use daily all over the world and not charge. Look at the tips of the wings on all modern commercials aircraft as example.

The data will not be sold. NASA contributes many things - tech and wonderment - for free. The US set up GPS network and offers it for free to the world, just one example. The Chinese are still trying to get their first aircraft carrier together, using a discarded USSR hull. However, the Chinese may well be among the first stepping on Mars. They will go there for raw materials, similar to how they go in to Afghanistan (and S.Sudan) with smiles and contracts in hand, after Nato does the dirty work of a decade of combat and tough negotiations.

Ridiculous waste of money that could have been used for assisiting humans on this planet.

People need pioneers, even when there are myriad unresolved issues on Earth. The 3 small Spanish ships in the 15th century could have stayed in Europe and used the money to try to fix the endless problems there. Or Marco Polo could have stayed in Venice and.......

• Like 1

Ridiculous waste of money that could have been used for assisiting humans on this planet. I saw the waste when I was a kid in the 1950s & 1960s. Space Race with the Russians - Sputnik - Apollo "BS"-- men on the moon! (Maybe!), Machines to Mars? Useless!

Then war after war -- Vietnam, Middle East Wars, Bosnia, Iraq, You name it!

And this space idiocy is still being funded and people actually care about this useless BS? Cant even get this small planet to work and function properly.

Unbelievable!

Unbelievable is right! Considering all the benefits of space exploration, we should increase NASA's budget at least ten fold.

10 NASA Inventions You Might Use Every Day

http://curiosity.dis...-inventions.htm

and

NASA Spinoff Homepage

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/index.html

Edited by koheesti

great technological achievement, including the sheer daring of the multi-stage landing. Congrats to NASA and JPL and others involved.

Imagine if a 10th of the expenditures on military worldwide were devoted to space exploration. We'd probably be sending probes out beyond the solar system by now (all due respect to the two Voyagers I and II).

As for Thailand, it should have jumped at the opportunity to work side by side with NASA folks - in whatever location or capacity. The youth of Thailand need as much exposure to science as possible.

• Like 1