Double Pricing!

MrZM

I see that the issue of dual pricing has been raised yet again. Do people not realise how much money this practice saves ex-pats and tourists? I never take any of my foreign visitors to places that practice dual pricing. My wife's family, father, mother, sister, brother-in-law, nephews and nieces have never been to any of these places either. There are two reasons for this. One, they cannot afford to travel and visit such places without me. When I have taken them they refuse to allow me to pay the Thai price for them as they object to me having to pay more as a foreigner, even one married to a Thai and living here for eleven years.

So, rather than complain about the short-sightedness of the practice, just be grateful that it saves money. Of course, the corollary to this is that those places practising dual-pricing lose money and gain a bad reputation.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see that the issue of dual pricing has been raised yet again. Do people not realise how much money this practice saves ex-pats and tourists? I never take any of my foreign visitors to places that practice dual pricing. My wife's family, father, mother, sister, brother-in-law, nephews and nieces have never been to any of these places either. There are two reasons for this. One, they cannot afford to travel and visit such places without me. When I have taken them they refuse to allow me to pay the Thai price for them as they object to me having to pay more as a foreigner, even one married to a Thai and living here for eleven years.

So, rather than complain about the short-sightedness of the practice, just be grateful that it saves money. Of course, the corollary to this is that those places practising dual-pricing lose money and gain a bad reputation.

Why not just get a Thai DL then problem solved and your Thai family will be able to enjoy some of the nice places to visit? Can you say which places you took your Thai family where you refused to pay and they lost out? I mean here in Pattaya.

Why not just get a Thai DL then problem solved and your Thai family will be able to enjoy some of the nice places to visit? Can you say which places you took your Thai family where you refused to pay and they lost out? I mean here in Pattaya.

I have two driving licences. I consider that using them actually condones the system. It wasn't me that refused to go in with the Thai family, it was them who objected to the practice. I was going to pay for all of them

Only twice have i been asked for Thai price and shown my drivers licence and been told i must pay farang price once was in the "yellow sumbarine" as it was my sons birthday i paid ,the second time was at nong nooch ,we walked away (i believe they now accept your licence) at the zoo in Sri Racha ,we were with my daughter her husband and my grand daughter ,the lady asked were they our familly and i said yes ,so she said you can ALL go in for Thai price ,with no charge for the little one, a good day out there anytime.

That is the lamest post ever. No one is making you go anywhere. You want to go but get so far as the front door and leave and say that you have saved money? Here's a money saving tip for you. Stay in bed.

I take my thai family as well as my farang family to all the attraction and they love it. I always pay the Thai price and many times when I take my mom (farang mom) they let her in for the thai price as well. She'd be more than happy to pay the tourist price cause after all, she's a tourist and understands that tourist stuff isn't free. She didn't come visit to save money. The fact is they often give her the Thai rate just cause I show my ID and we are with my Thai family as well.

Sucks for you that you can't enjoy yourself like you want. I would be seriously pissed to go places with the intention of enjoying myself with my family only to be turned away at the front door. I have to agree that the attitude you have when you show up there makes a HUGE difference. Speaking Thai. Laughing and joking. All goes a long way in this country.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

That is the lamest post ever. No one is making you go anywhere. You want to go but get so far as the front door and leave and say that you have saved money? Here's a money saving tip for you. Stay in bed.

I take my thai family as well as my farang family to all the attraction and they love it. I always pay the Thai price and many times when I take my mom (farang mom) they let her in for the thai price as well. She'd be more than happy to pay the tourist price cause after all, she's a tourist and understands that tourist stuff isn't free. She didn't come visit to save money. The fact is they often give her the Thai rate just cause I show my ID and we are with my Thai family as well.

Sucks for you that you can't enjoy yourself like you want. I would be seriously pissed to go places with the intention of enjoying myself with my family only to be turned away at the front door. I have to agree that the attitude you have when you show up there makes a HUGE difference. Speaking Thai. Laughing and joking. All goes a long way in this country.

You obviously don't understand the irony in my post. As a matter of fact I have been in most of the tourist places. I do speak, read and write Thai, and can certainly laugh and joke with the best of them. However, I was serious about my Thai mother-in-law who would not let me take them in because it was more expensive for me.

I honestly think a lot of it is attitude, how you present yourself if you will be charged more or not. Yes it helps if you can speak Thai for sure and that's what I do say for instance if I have to pull into a motorcycle repair shop that does not know me, I talk in Thai and joke a little then I sit and watch or help while they are doing their thing talking to them and making them laugh etc. and when it's bill time I think I am charged a normal "Thai" price. Same thing in Restaurant etc.

I must admit I have been farang priced even outside of the tourist areas as in Sakon Nakhon at the market where I stood in line to order some food and the Thai in front of me was charged 25 baht but when they served me they said 35 baht. (My portion was no bigger). I told them in perfect Thai that I just seen them charge the Thai 25 baht and they smiled and said.........yes. I had to laugh. It's not like 10 baht will kill me however I would not buy from them again and just chose another booth selling the same thing.

As far as real tourists go, getting charged more is still cheap and you just have to accept it or travel to another SEA country where I'm sure nothing will change. This happens in every poor country and hey, they are poor, we are not, we are all people of the world so why not help out a little.

Used to happen to me. I sent the then g/f round the same market stalls for the same items and she got charged a lot less. As she talked to the stall owners she discovered the ones that did not charge extra and I used them every time after that much to the chagrin of the other stallholders nearby. On vegetables alone I could save 100 Baht a time. Maybe not a lot but it adds up over a year.

Having Thai and Farang menus happens in a lot of restaurants, I have noticed it most in Farang owned restaurants though rather than Thai owned.

Even when you take the Thai menu and order from it the higher price from the Farang menu appears on the bill.

Really?? In 8 years total within Pattaya I have NEVER come across this.

Please PM to me the name(s) of these restaurants cos for sure I don't believe it.

I look forward to you correcting me.

Speaking Thai. Laughing and joking. All goes a long way in this country.

It does. But it usually won't get you a discount on places with a farang tax. Your ID card is what gets you the Thai price. Not your jokes and smiles.

yes but my point is that they need to be combined.... have the ID and joke and smile. Nearly always worked for me. In fact, the time at mini siam I was refused I was in a rather pissy mood that day anyways.. might have been my attitude to blame. In any case I left and never went back.

Having Thai and Farang menus happens in a lot of restaurants, I have noticed it most in Farang owned restaurants though rather than Thai owned.

Even when you take the Thai menu and order from it the higher price from the Farang menu appears on the bill.

Really?? In 8 years total within Pattaya I have NEVER come across this.

Please PM to me the name(s) of these restaurants cos for sure I don't believe it.

I look forward to you correcting me.

I as well would like names. If they can't be posted here publicly.. feel free to PM me.

Did it ever occur to you that the farang version of the dish might be a larger portion?

This is a legitimate point. A lot of Thai restaurants do serve bigger portions to Westerners and the price is not any more expensive based on the amount of food.

I pay at a barbershop THB 120 and the Thais pay THB 80 (and do receive a proper shave + neck massage).

Reason for my higher price (given by staff): Farang have bigger head and more hair.

deal with it or find a new barber.

On this issue, my barber as well has double pricing and I have never bothered to pull out my ID or even argue the point. I just don't tip on top of it. The price difference is only like 20-30 thb if I remember and my son gets the child's price which is less than a thai man pays. This has never bothered me and if it did I certainly would find a new barber. If they were trying to charge 2-3x the thai price then I would probably pull out my DL and ask for the lower price but for $1 I'm not bothered.

Did I say that I'm bothered? It's just an example of double-pricing.

This is a legitimate point. A lot of Thai restaurants do serve bigger portions to Westerners and the price is not any more expensive based on the amount of food.

I pay at a barbershop THB 120 and the Thais pay THB 80 (and do receive a proper shave + neck massage).

Reason for my higher price (given by staff): Farang have bigger head and more hair.

deal with it or find a new barber.

On this issue, my barber as well has double pricing and I have never bothered to pull out my ID or even argue the point. I just don't tip on top of it. The price difference is only like 20-30 thb if I remember and my son gets the child's price which is less than a thai man pays. This has never bothered me and if it did I certainly would find a new barber. If they were trying to charge 2-3x the thai price then I would probably pull out my DL and ask for the lower price but for $1 I'm not bothered.

Did I say that I'm bothered? It's just an example of double-pricing.

Well, I made an assumption you were bothered as you asked them for a reason. Generally, folks not bothered by something don't require an explanation. But these are your feelings and I will not be making any judgement on them. If you are happy, then great.

I always love this subject theme when it comes up. Some people have been here so long.

The bottom line question here for me is are the foreigners being charged more for these things because they are not citizens/residents of the country or because they simply have more money. If the first then this in my book would be a justified and logical reason for the difference in price. If the second then it is a simple case of racism and in any normal developed country this would not be tolerated.

There will be people who jump on this and get all excited. The bottom line is we all know charging people more for things just because it is assumed they have more money (determined by their skin colour) would not last 1 second in any decent developed country. People would be sued, sacked and all sorts of legal action within hours or days if the equivalent practices happened in the west.

The fact is that Thais view farangs as humans that have more money. They don't care how we got more money or why we do, they are taught from childhood that we just have more money and thus should pay more for things. Its instinctive.

The other reason why I think it is racism is because their way of distinguishing us from someone who doesn't have to pay more. For example, a Cambodian (an alien, just like us) goes to a zoo. He/she will more than likely be regarded as a Thai and thus pay the local rate. Why !!! because they look Thai. Now if the reason for foreigners really really wasn't racist and was just about the legal fact of foreign people paying more then every government organisations would ask for ID to these places but they don't. They separate by how the people look and thus the way you look determines your wealth and in turn determines whether you pay more.

Now to the rest of world and anyone else other than the Expats of Thailand this would be regarded as clear racism.

Expats in Thailand laugh it off and say, "ahh well this is everywhere in Thailand, chill out".

If you went to a restaurant in New York and you were charged more for the same meal just because the waiter determined you had more money you would hit the roof with anger. He would be sacked and the restaurant would be sued.

For some strange reason we dont bring the same logic here.

Edited by rinteln

If you went to a restaurant in New York and you were charged more for the same meal just because the waiter determined you had more money you would hit the roof with anger. He would be sacked and the restaurant would be sued.

Think you know why we don't bring the same logic here. This is Thailand, not New York.

Think you know why we don't bring the same logic here. This is Thailand, not New York.

Yes I agree. My point here is more about the Expats that I know will attack my comment. They know that it would be wrong in their own countries but here not only will they think it isnt wrong but will probably attack anyone who thinks it is. An amazing reversal !!

Yes I agree. My point here is more about the Expats that I know will attack my comment. They know that it would be wrong in their own countries but here not only will they think it isnt wrong but will probably attack anyone who thinks it is. An amazing reversal !!

The fact we are in Thailand should not change whether we know its right or not. Yes it wont change whether it happens but doesnt change the moral.

Every time I see this subject come up there are always people saying Tourists pay more everywhere in the world. Yes, IF.....IF the reasons for double pricing were for tourism then at least it would be logical and consistent with lots of other countries but that isn't the core reason why foreigners pay more. You are giving the Thai people far far too much credit, they couldn't/wouldn't think that much and couldn't/wouldn't have a system to deal with that.

It is a simple case of what do you look like !!! That is the extent of their intelligence on these matters.

As I mentioned earlier, would a Cambodian get charged more. If 10 Loas people went to the crocodile farm in Pattaya then at least 9 of them would be waved in as Thais. 10 farangs go we would all pay more.....unless one of us screamed and shouted with our work permit (if we had one)

If...if the double pricing is as you all say it is (about tourists) then the Loas people would/should be charged Foreign prices. Bottom line !!!

In case anyone says "bad example". "Loas is so close". I use a similar example. London Zoo is cheaper for British citizens. 10 French (Caucasian) people get in with the local charge for British people (because they look like British). Then a black French man walks up, gets charged more..........................................................you know the rest. There would be outrage !!!! Now ofcourse this wouldnt happen, just an example.

Hopefully the point is seen.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

It means you are a walking ATM machine and you will always be looked at in that manner no matter how well you think you integrated, because as soon as you're not around, you're just another "farang." Get over it. Welcome to Thailand.

Great, accurate, a fact and so true.

Here's another take on the dual pricing that happened to me only 2 weeks ago at Pattaya Park amusement rides section.

Went along with 3 kids. Two of them are mine (luk kung - jet black hair) and the other lad who has lived here with his British parents for quite a few years has bright blonde hair. They wanted to go on some of the rides.

At the counter the lady asks me if my lads speak Thai, yes I said, so she gave me Thai price for them and went on and charged uprated price for the other lad. I asked why and she told me cos he's not Thai. I explained he lives here as well but she was having none of it.

So I gave back the tickets. Walked 10 meters away. Told the boys to sit down and went up myself with my drivers licence and asked for 3 of what the lads wanted. She started smiling and asked me if I was being honest with her. I told her I wanted to go on the rides myself. She smiled and gave me all the tickets at the same Thai price.

End point, like rintein says, it has nothing to do with tourism and all to do with how you look.

• Like 2

I fully agree that in most all cases it's pure racism. That I speak Thai and look a bit Thai I get off without too much hassle on the dual pricing compared to others I see posting. The fact remains is that's how they are and it seems to be quite accepted behavior in this country. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriages were seriously frowned upon in this country. Things are changing. Maybe just not as fast as we are used to in more western countries.

Speaking Thai. Laughing and joking. All goes a long way in this country.

It does. But it usually won't get you a discount on places with a farang tax. Your ID card is what gets you the Thai price. Not your jokes and smiles.

yes but my point is that they need to be combined.... have the ID and joke and smile. Nearly always worked for me. In fact, the time at mini siam I was refused I was in a rather pissy mood that day anyways.. might have been my attitude to blame. In any case I left and never went back.

For sure. You have to go in well armed if you want to pay local rates for anything. ID, smiles, language, jokes, and then assume your way through to pay the Thai price.

I fully agree that in most all cases it's pure racism. That I speak Thai and look a bit Thai I get off without too much hassle on the dual pricing compared to others I see posting. The fact remains is that's how they are and it seems to be quite accepted behavior in this country. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriages were seriously frowned upon in this country. Things are changing. Maybe just not as fast as we are used to in more western countries.

People always have to bring out the racist card to explain everything and it gets very old. If the double pricing is a Thai/non-Thai thing, what does that have to do with racism. It's nationalism, isn't it? Or more to the point, grabbing as much as they can from non-residents.

You may not like it, but it's not racism.

People always have to bring out the racist card to explain everything and it gets very old. If the double pricing is a Thai/non-Thai thing, what does that have to do with racism. It's nationalism, isn't it? Or more to the point, grabbing as much as they can from non-residents.

Yes if it was about the nationality then I would agree but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it is. It is how you look. Again I think too much credit is being given to Thais if you suggest they have means and ways to distinguish nationalities in markets, attractions and government sites. Cambodians, Loas and even some Malaysians could easily get through some of these attractions (unless of course they stood out as tourists). Even if the added criteria is that they speak Thai then that doesn't work. I have met loads of people that are not Thai who can speak it. Funny enough I'm actually training now in Singapore with a Singaporean guy who speaks fluent Thai as he worked in Hat Yai for years. He would have no problem getting Thai prices at markets and attractions but he is Singaporean.

My best friend has a Loas girlfriend who never pays more for anything. She looks and sounds like an Isaan girl. Basically apart from the visa status she lives here as if she was a Thai. They have been to attractions, water parks, palaces. She has never paid more.

So again if it were about nationality then yes totally agree it would not be racism and in my book would be justified but it isn't i'm afraid.

Some of us are worried about using the word racism because we relate it in our minds to maybe more extreme stereotypical events but really at the end of the day treating groups people differently because of how they look and attaching a certain stigma to that look (white skin = more money for example) is just racism. In Thailand I agree it is not as extreme and probably not through that much intention, maybe racism through ignorance rather than intention. End of the day most Thais don't even know about the Vietnam war, a war that benefited and shaped Thailand a great deal there after thanks to the Americans bringing industry and tourism. Most couldn't even point out Singapore on a map. So my point is this racism is out of ignorance in my opinion. Is that as bad as intentional....?........not quite as bad but close.

Healthy debate always good for the mind

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Some of us are worried about using the word racism because we relate it in our minds to maybe more extreme stereotypical events but really at the end of the day treating groups people differently because of how they look and attaching a certain stigma to that look (white skin = more money for example) is just racism. In Thailand I agree it is not as extreme and probably not through that much intention, maybe racism through ignorance rather than intention. End of the day most Thais don't even know about the Vietnam war, a war that benefited and shaped Thailand a great deal there after thanks to the Americans bringing industry and tourism. Most couldn't even point out Singapore on a map. So my point is this racism is out of ignorance in my opinion. Is that as bad as intentional....?........not quite as bad but close.

Well you don't seem to have problems using the racism word. The more you use it the less powerful it becomes.

And what has not being able to point Singapore on a map to do with racism ?

Now tell me honestly what about a group of japanese tourists in the west, London, Paris, Amsterdam. Are they not getting fleeced ?

Is that racism or an easy target ?

Oh and a healthy debate, isn't that opening one's mind to other ideas ?

OK one more time, double pricing is not racism.

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 1

Well you don't seem to have problems using the racism word. The more you use it the less powerful it becomes.

And what has not being able to point Singapore on a map to do with racism ?

Now tell me honestly what about a group of japanese tourists in the west, London, Paris, Amsterdam. Are they not getting fleeced ?

Is that racism or an easy target ?

Oh and a healthy debate, isn't that opening one's mind to other ideas ?

OK one more time, double pricing is not racism.

Yermaneewai.gif

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Well.. in the context that the thai looking boy gets in for one price and the western looking boy gets to pay a diff price.. that seems like the definition of racism...

I look thai and can speak thai so I get the Thai price many times without even showing my ID card. I hear many western looking folks saying that even after showing the ID card they are still charged the western price. To say it's all about greed would mean that if a hi-so pale skinned Thai went they they would pay the higher fee. Do they? Lets ask some of our TVF members as they all seem to have hi-so thai-chinese wives.

Yes if it was about the nationality then I would agree but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it is. It is how you look. Again I think too much credit is being given to Thais if you suggest they have means and ways to distinguish nationalities in markets, attractions and government sites. Cambodians, Loas and even some Malaysians could easily get through some of these attractions (unless of course they stood out as tourists). Even if the added criteria is that they speak Thai then that doesn't work. I have met loads of people that are not Thai who can speak it. Funny enough I'm actually training now in Singapore with a Singaporean guy who speaks fluent Thai as he worked in Hat Yai for years. He would have no problem getting Thai prices at markets and attractions but he is Singaporean.

My best friend has a Loas girlfriend who never pays more for anything. She looks and sounds like an Isaan girl. Basically apart from the visa status she lives here as if she was a Thai. They have been to attractions, water parks, palaces. She has never paid more.

So again if it were about nationality then yes totally agree it would not be racism and in my book would be justified but it isn't i'm afraid.

I disagree. Just because a Thai is using a person's looks to determine if they are Thai or not does not add up to racism. The term "racism" should be struck from the dictionary because it is far too vague to be of any use. The world is a bigger place now where the concept of races is meaningless.

Do you believe a Thai could not distinguish a Japanese or Korean person from a Thai person? My Filipino wife does NOT get Thai prices if she opens her mouth. When she is shopping at markets she tries not to talk in order to get better prices. The same would be true for any SE Asian (eg from Malaysia) who spoke English.

I lived in South Africa during the peak apartheid years of the early to mid-70's. They had big problems classifying Indians and Chinese.

In Thailand it's all about nationality. Are you Thai or are you not? Thais dislike many of their immediate neighbours. They had wars with them in the past.

Give up the term. It's clouding your judgement and accusing Thais of "wrongdoing" they're not guilty of. It's all about business and making the most they can. You may not condone their methods, but that's how it is. They have more freedom to be what you would call "unfair" here.

Many people came to Thailand because they prefered more freedom over their restrictive home countries. When this freedom goes against them they start to complain. It's trivial really. If the extra cost bothers someone they can just avoid the service. How many times do most expats go to a national park? Do you have to go more than once?

Edited by tropo

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Well.. in the context that the thai looking boy gets in for one price and the western looking boy gets to pay a diff price.. that seems like the definition of racism...

I look thai and can speak thai so I get the Thai price many times without even showing my ID card. I hear many western looking folks saying that even after showing the ID card they are still charged the western price. To say it's all about greed would mean that if a hi-so pale skinned Thai went they they would pay the higher fee. Do they? Lets ask some of our TVF members as they all seem to have hi-so thai-chinese wives.

Your post is proof of my theory that people who run around with the race card have clouded judgement and are incapable of applying rational thought to the situation. As soon as you shout "racist", common sense flies out the window.

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

Your post is proof of my theory that people who run around with the race card have clouded judgement and are incapable of applying rational thought to the situation. As soon as you shout "racist", common sense flies out the window.

proof of your theory? Ok whatever mate. I'm not here complaining about the double pricing standard as I find I always get the Thai price as well does all my family. After listening to the other comments from those that tend to be discriminated against I see their point. Perhaps you are the one getting caught up in the word racism. Would it change anything for you if instead the word discrimination was used?