Double Pricing!

MrZM

proof of your theory? Ok whatever mate. I'm not here complaining about the double pricing standard as I find I always get the Thai price as well does all my family. After listening to the other comments from those that tend to be discriminated against I see their point. Perhaps you are the one getting caught up in the word racism. Would it change anything for you if instead the word discrimination was used?

More proof of clouded thinking, mate.

Call it what you like. It's not racism.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fully agree that in most all cases it's pure racism. That I speak Thai and look a bit Thai I get off without too much hassle on the dual pricing compared to others I see posting. The fact remains is that's how they are and it seems to be quite accepted behavior in this country. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriages were seriously frowned upon in this country. Things are changing. Maybe just not as fast as we are used to in more western countries.

People always have to bring out the racist card to explain everything and it gets very old. If the double pricing is a Thai/non-Thai thing, what does that have to do with racism. It's nationalism, isn't it? Or more to the point, grabbing as much as they can from non-residents.

You may not like it, but it's not racism.

Yes if it was about the nationality then I would agree but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it is. It is how you look. Again I think too much credit is being given to Thais if you suggest they have means and ways to distinguish nationalities in markets, attractions and government sites. Cambodians, Loas and even some Malaysians could easily get through some of these attractions (unless of course they stood out as tourists). Even if the added criteria is that they speak Thai then that doesn't work. I have met loads of people that are not Thai who can speak it. Funny enough I'm actually training now in Singapore with a Singaporean guy who speaks fluent Thai as he worked in Hat Yai for years. He would have no problem getting Thai prices at markets and attractions but he is Singaporean.

My best friend has a Loas girlfriend who never pays more for anything. She looks and sounds like an Isaan girl. Basically apart from the visa status she lives here as if she was a Thai. They have been to attractions, water parks, palaces. She has never paid more.

So again if it were about nationality then yes totally agree it would not be racism and in my book would be justified but it isn't i'm afraid.

Some of us are worried about using the word racism because we relate it in our minds to maybe more extreme stereotypical events but really at the end of the day treating groups people differently because of how they look and attaching a certain stigma to that look (white skin = more money for example) is just racism. In Thailand I agree it is not as extreme and probably not through that much intention, maybe racism through ignorance rather than intention. End of the day most Thais don't even know about the Vietnam war, a war that benefited and shaped Thailand a great deal there after thanks to the Americans bringing industry and tourism. Most couldn't even point out Singapore on a map. So my point is this racism is out of ignorance in my opinion. Is that as bad as intentional....?........not quite as bad but close.

Healthy debate always good for the mind

I disagree. Just because a Thai is using a person's looks to determine if they are Thai or not does not add up to racism. The term "racism" should be struck from the dictionary because it is far too vague to be of any use. The world is a bigger place now where the concept of races is meaningless.

Do you believe a Thai could not distinguish a Japanese or Korean person from a Thai person? My Filipino wife does NOT get Thai prices if she opens her mouth. When she is shopping at markets she tries not to talk in order to get better prices. The same would be true for any SE Asian (eg from Malaysia) who spoke English.

I lived in South Africa during the peak apartheid years of the early to mid-70's. They had big problems classifying Indians and Chinese.

In Thailand it's all about nationality. Are you Thai or are you not? Thais dislike many of their immediate neighbours. They had wars with them in the past.

Give up the term. It's clouding your judgement and accusing Thais of "wrongdoing" they're not guilty of. It's all about business and making the most they can. You may not condone their methods, but that's how it is. They have more freedom to be what you would call "unfair" here.

Many people came to Thailand because they prefered more freedom over their restrictive home countries. When this freedom goes against them they start to complain. It's trivial really. If the extra cost bothers someone they can just avoid the service. How many times do most expats go to a national park? Do you have to go more than once?

Take you case to Webster mate.. this isn't the place for it.

It seems like we are agreeing that Thais are discriminating based on race (what you call nationalism). That they are not aware enough to differentiate between your pinoy wife until she opens her mouth changes what exactly? If they are all about business and making the most they can then why don't they charge hi-so thais more than me considering that they probably have more money than I do?

The fact is, I have no problem with this double pricing cause it doesn't have an negative impact on me. I do however understand what those that are negatively impacted by it are upset about. If I was getting charged the western prices more then I might be complaining more.

proof of your theory? Ok whatever mate. I'm not here complaining about the double pricing standard as I find I always get the Thai price as well does all my family. After listening to the other comments from those that tend to be discriminated against I see their point. Perhaps you are the one getting caught up in the word racism. Would it change anything for you if instead the word discrimination was used?

More proof of clouded thinking, mate.

Call it what you like. It's not racism.

you are the one caught up on the term racist. It is clouding your ability to move past the word.

It seems like we are agreeing that Thais are discriminating based on race (what you call nationalism). That they are not aware enough to differentiate between your pinoy wife until she opens her mouth changes what exactly?

Are you serious, mate? The fact that my Pinoy wife wouldn't get a discount if they know she is not Thai changes nothing?

I'm agreeing with you? Absolutely not.

Nationalism and racism are not the same. Surely that's obvious.

Your thinking is just more proof of the above theory. When people are convinced something is racism they can't see the forest for the trees.

Tell me mate, do pensioners, the elderly and students get discounts in your country? Do locals get a local's discount at some places and for some services.

Double pricing is very common in Australia as I'm sure you'll find it is in your country.

you are the one caught up on the term racist. It is clouding your ability to move past the word.

What? You're the one waving the card around. You've been going out of your way trying to convince everyone Thais are being racist by double pricing.

Edited by tropo

Every Thai I ask about this seems confused by the question. They think it is expected and that we have more money and think in terms of Thais getting it cheaper not us getting it more expensive. Live with it or avoid the places. Simple really.

• Like 1

Every Thai I ask about this seems confused by the question. They think it is expected and that we have more money and think in terms of Thais getting it cheaper not us getting it more expensive. Live with it or avoid the places. Simple really.

That's a good way to look at it. Thais are getting discounts. These places are probably built and run with a budget based on foreign tourist prices. I have no problems with Thais getting discounts.

What? You're the one waving the card around. You've been going out of your way trying to convince everyone Thais are being racist by double pricing.

Huh?

I fully agree that in most all cases it's pure racism. That I speak Thai and look a bit Thai I get off without too much hassle on the dual pricing compared to others I see posting. The fact remains is that's how they are and it seems to be quite accepted behavior in this country. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriages were seriously frowned upon in this country. Things are changing. Maybe just not as fast as we are used to in more western countries.

I would like to officially change the word above from RACISM to discrimination as there seems to be some confusion about the meanings.

Ocean World in Bangkok puts the Thai price in Thai script.

Is that racism, discrimination or just a scam?

well.. depends, if you can read the thai script to them do you get it for that price?

Racism is a broad term. Price discrimination based on perception of race is racism. So is lynching.

That's totally unrelated to double pricing in Thailand as it is not racism. You pretty much believe that anyone giving you a hard time in Thailand is racist and it is a card you love to play.

How many times have we had "double pricing" threads on this forum? Each and every time it arrives at the same point - that Thais are being racist. If we don't agree, then we're accused of making the problem worse by being complicit.

Racism is a broad term. Price discrimination based on perception of race is racism. So is lynching.

That's totally unrelated to double pricing in Thailand as it is not racism. You pretty much believe that anyone giving you a hard time in Thailand is racist and it is a card you love to play.

How many times have we had "double pricing" threads on this forum? Each and every time it arrives at the same point - that Thais are being racist. If we don't agree, then we're accused of making the problem worse by being complicit.

Why don't you just make you point clear. Are you saying it's not discrimination but pure and utter greed?

• Like 1

post-4641-1156693976.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

ohhh no you didn't.... Put that card back in your pocket before Tropo has an aneurysm

Thanks for you concern, wink.png but you don't get to 10,000 posts on this forum by getting aneurysms every time someone disagree with you.

Didn't you just say "healthy debate always good for the mind"?

It means they know it's morally wrong.

I treated 2 of my Thai staff & took them to the Aquarium one afternoon. The cashier charged me the farang price for my staff too...... until I pointed to the sign...........made the cashier very UNCOMFORTABLE..... good.

• Like 1

Why don't you just make you point clear. Are you saying it's not discrimination but pure and utter greed?

I do make my points clear but you can't grasp basic concepts.

To be honest I wouldn't even call it discrimination. That's your point of view - that you feel discriminated against - I don't.

It's just accepted business practice which as I stated before is also common practice back at home and probably in your country too.

Now you're accusing them of being greedy. As I said, these facilities are probably built and run on a budget based on the foreign tourist entry price.

Edited by tropo

post-4641-1156693976.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

ohhh no you didn't.... Put that card back in your pocket before Tropo has an aneurysm

Thanks for you concern, wink.png but you don't get to 10,000 posts on this forum by getting aneurysms every time someone disagree with you.

Didn't you just say "healthy debate always good for the mind"?

I'm all about discussion. I was in the "I like dual pricing cause I get the cheaper price" corner until I started hearing what folks in the other corner were saying. Now I am seeing it more through their eyes.

I had no idea that using the word I did would illicit such a response from you. Was not my intention. If I could take it back and call it discrimination I would.

Is what you are calling it Nationalism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#Ethnic_nationalism

Shock, horror, Thai signs in a Thai attraction in Thailand, whatever next!!

Don't be disingenuous. The signs using Thai number script are only used when there are double pricing games going on. When there aren't, the numbers are Roman.

I do make my points clear but you can't grasp basic concepts.

To be honest I wouldn't even call it discrimination. That's your point of view - that you feel discriminated against - I don't.

It's just accepted business practice which as I stated before is also common practice back at home and probably in your country too.

Now you're accusing them of being greedy. As I said, these facilities are probably built and run on a budge based on the foreign tourist entry price.

I don't feel discriminated against.. but I feel others are being discriminated against based on their skin color. I see that all the time in Thailand. My wife, being from Issarn brings it to my attention regularly.

Actually they offer a discount to Thais AND expats but show it only in Thai script to stop tourists complaining.

The normal price is already a very good price to see sharks and penguins but there are always some tourists who go on holiday to find things to moan about rather than enjoy themselves.

The discounted price for Thais (and expats) makes it more accessible to poorer local families as well.

They also discriminate against adults, as children pay lower prices. Whatever next?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 2

Don't be disingenuous. The signs using Thai number script are only used when there are double pricing games going on. When there aren't, the numbers are Roman.

Nonsense, there are many areas of Thailand where signs are in nothing but Thai, it's not just because "double pricing games" are going on, it is because that is the language and some of the natives don,t know anything else, the same applies to many non English speaking countries.

Nonsense, there are many areas of Thailand where signs are in nothing but Thai, it's not just because "double pricing games" are going on, it is because that is the language and some of the natives don,t know anything else, the same applies to many non English speaking countries.

The issue is not about the words being written in the national language but rather the use of Thai script numerals vs the Arabic ones that EVERY thai knows and understands. They do that specifically because the price in Thai script and the price in Arabic script are not the same.

• Like 1