Funds For Renewing Retirement Extension....Requirements

rolleyes.gif I did my 90 day reporting today at Chaeng Wattana today,,,and I took the opportunity to ask a very specific question about what was required as financial requirements for extending a retirement visa.

First my particular background info.

Originally got Non immigrant O visa.

Extended it for one year in October 2011.... currently good until 15 October 2012.

So will need to renew extension of retirement no later than 15 October 2012.

Original retirement extension was based on Thai bank account of 800K baht and approved.

Now due to Thai family medical problems I won't have the required 800K funds in bank for the required 3 month seasoning prior to October 15th 2012.

So for 2nd renewal I will go for the "combination" method of combined pension and bank funds to get total of 800K Baht yearly as required.

My two specific questions to the immigration officer were:

1. First question.

I will have only about 700K Baht in Thai bank account at renewal time...and I can verify (with statement from my embessy and form from my country's pension system) of income of only 50K baht equivalent monthly.

The total of these two sources will be over the required 800K.

Will that be good enough to get me another extension one year extension approval on 15 October 2012?

Supervisor's answer...."Yes, as long as the combination total is over 800K annually....and you can verify that income."

2. Second question.

In that case, how long will this combination have to "seasoned"...that is....do I have to have the bank part of those funds in the bank for 3 months before 15 October 2012? Is there any required time period that funds must be in the bank when used as part of the combination method?

Supervisor's answer...."I really don't know....i'm just not sure of the rule on that".

Then she added..."If it was based only on 800K in a Thai bank, those funds would need to be there for 3 months before your renewal date....but the way you want to do it....combining income....I'm not sure what the requirement would be...if any'

To summerize...

On 15 October I need to renew my retirement visa for another year.

I will probably will not have 800K in my Thai bank account at that time...750K baht probably....and it will not have been seasoned for 3 months.

I will be able to show a verified pension income of 50K monthly...but not 65K monthly.

Based on what immigration told me today that amount should be sufficent on 15 October 2012.

But, honestly, I'm just not sure.

whistling.gif

The official national rule is NO seasoning required when using the combination method, as you are. I think you are OK. There have been some cases of provincial offices enforcing seasoning on such applications and they are "wrong" but of course they don't care.

Hope this helps from experience you can apply for your extenesion 1 month before so i suggest you go to your office around 16/17 September if there is a problem you have a month to try and sort it

You state you have a monthly income of 50k that you can provide evidence of, therefor you are short of 15,000 baht per month X12 = 180,000 which means you have to show at least 180.000 bht in your bank account for 3 months before your retirement expires if you have that amount I am sure you will be okay I know that this is correct if you were going to the Koh Samui office but not every officer thinks the same way.

If turned down I would suggest you go to Penang and get a 90 day visa and in the last month of the 90 days re apply for your retirement/extension you must ensure it is a 90 day visa less than that and you will not be allowed a retirement/extension of stay visa

If you have the 180,000 in the bank along with a letter from your embassy stating your monthly income of 50 k then I can see no problem but make sure you apply sometime after 17 September just in case GOOD LUCK !!!

wai.gif Yeah, I'm betting that with about 750K in the bank and a verifiable 50K monthly income I'll be okay.

But just in case I'm not...my backup plan is a new visa...probably from Sanannaket, Laos....and then starting over.

So yes, I'm planning to be at least 3 weeks early for that 15 October date....so if I have to I'll have time to do a visa run.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG