Thaksin Kicks Off U.S. Trip With Cheers And Jeers

webfact

Dr. Thaksin's presence is in no way linked to the Church.

Just a small point, but where i'm from people of Thaksin's educational standing are not usually referred to as being doctors. Whilst i appreciate it helps lend some extra status, and i appreciate that technically he can be referred as such, i would imagine a man of his humble and modest character, would feel uncomfortable with such a label, and prefer it be used for those practising medicine, working in hospitals, saving lives and such. Nothing of course stopping you from using it. I'm just not sure it reflects as positively as is intended.

The local group that invited Dr. Thaksin to speak to the patriotic Thais assembled

What were they patriotic to and how do you know this?

In respect to the use of the term Dr., although I am sympathetic, it is obvious that you do not have much international work experience. Try not addressing some Germans without their full full title such as Dr. and watch the reaction. In a world filled with insecurities there is a rush to diminish the academic achievements of some, so that there is more inclusion.

The fact is that the gentleman earned his doctorate in criminal justice from a certified USA university , which puts his academic achievement significantly higher than the typical TVFer. As much as some would like to ridicule Sam Houston, it has one of the top 5 ranked criminal justice programs in the USA and an excellent reputation. I come from the sciences and am of the view that only pure scientists should be called doctors, but this is an elitist view that diminishes the achievements of other faculties. The reality is that it is easier to gain a doctorate in some science fields (e.g. environmental science, engineering) than it is to gain one in the law or even mathematics.

In respect to the patriotism of the attendees, it should be obvious. Attendees travelled distances or took the day off work to go and listen to their champion of democracy and justice. The fact that Dr. Thaksin, a man who's party won a legitimate clear mandate to govern before he was deposed by interest groups with no mandate to govern, was able to travel 1/2 way around the world and attract people to visit with him, speaks volumes. Dr. Thaksin is doing what all grass roots based politicians have done and reached out to the marginalised and dispossessed. It is why he is able to remain in the hearts and minds of so many Thais. No other Thai poliitical leader has understood the need to get out and mix with the electorate. Did the defeated former PM Mark Abhisit ever go out to meet the common men and women of Thailand? Dr. Thaksin's time in exile follows the path of other political figures that have spent time in the political wilderness strengthening and building the political roots that will help achieve his desired change. One day he will return to a triumphant welcome and many of his present detractors will be there to throw political rose petals. The did it for Mao, for Ghandi. for Ho Chi Minh, for King Charles II, for Napoleon and they will do it for Thaksin.

Personally, I have had enough of the Thaksin saga and wish he would retire gracefully and go live in seclusion, but that will never happen with a Thai political leader. Even General Prem still has the need to be relevant and to show that he is still important. The Thai political class just doesn't get the notion of retirement.

• Like 1

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a small point, but where i'm from people of Thaksin's educational standing are not usually referred to as being doctors. Whilst i appreciate it helps lend some extra status, and i appreciate that technically he can be referred as such, i would imagine a man of his humble and modest character, would feel uncomfortable with such a label, and prefer it be used for those practising medicine, working in hospitals, saving lives and such. Nothing of course stopping you from using it. I'm just not sure it reflects as positively as is intended.

The local group that invited Dr. Thaksin to speak to the patriotic Thais assembled

In respect to the use of the term Dr., although I am sympathetic, it is obvious that you do not have much international work experience. Try not addressing some Germans without their full full title such as Dr. and watch the reaction. In a world filled with insecurities there is a rush to diminish the academic achievements of some, so that there is more inclusion.

The fact is that the gentleman earned his doctorate in criminal justice from a certified USA university , which puts his academic achievement significantly higher than the typical TVFer. As much as some would like to ridicule Sam Houston, it has one of the top 5 ranked criminal justice programs in the USA and an excellent reputation. I come from the sciences and am of the view that only pure scientists should be called doctors, but this is an elitist view that diminishes the achievements of other faculties. The reality is that it is easier to gain a doctorate in some science fields (e.g. environmental science, engineering) than it is to gain one in the law or even mathematics.

In respect to the patriotism of the attendees, it should be obvious. Attendees travelled distances or took the day off work to go and listen to their champion of democracy and justice. The fact that Dr. Thaksin, a man who's party won a legitimate clear mandate to govern before he was deposed by interest groups with no mandate to govern, was able to travel 1/2 way around the world and attract people to visit with him, speaks volumes. Dr. Thaksin is doing what all grass roots based politicians have done and reached out to the marginalised and dispossessed. It is why he is able to remain in the hearts and minds of so many Thais. No other Thai poliitical leader has understood the need to get out and mix with the electorate. Did the defeated former PM Mark Abhisit ever go out to meet the common men and women of Thailand? Dr. Thaksin's time in exile follows the path of other political figures that have spent time in the political wilderness strengthening and building the political roots that will help achieve his desired change. One day he will return to a triumphant welcome and many of his present detractors will be there to throw political rose petals. The did it for Mao, for Ghandi. for Ho Chi Minh, for King Charles II, for Napoleon and they will do it for Thaksin.

Personally, I have had enough of the Thaksin saga and wish he would retire gracefully and go live in seclusion, but that will never happen with a Thai political leader. Even General Prem still has the need to be relevant and to show that he is still important. The Thai political class just doesn't get the notion of retirement.

haha Thaksin is Dr Death, sorry but I couldnt read your whole post, but after the first line it was just blah blah blah, I love myself blah

• Like 1

When I thought the man couldn't stoop any lower...

The Scientology facility rents out its meeting room as do other organizations. Dr. Thaksin's presence is in no way linked to the Church. When I was a student, the Legion Hall in our university town was often rented out to punk and ska bands. It didn't make the Legion supporters of the bands, nor did it make the musicians supporters of the Legion. The local group that invited Dr. Thaksin to speak to the patriotic Thais assembled selected a secure venue that was affordable. Nothing wrong with that. In any case, the Church is a legal organization and has just as much right to exist as any other religious organization that rents out its facilities.

These will be all the patriotic Thais who have left Thailand to live in the USA, many who will now have US citizenship are they?

Lets not get started that the Church of Scientology is a Church. Even Hubbard's son (who the scientologist's hate for obvious reasons) has stated over and over again that his father was a lunatic who told him that he was conducting an experiment to see how far people would take his story. Seems he would be very proud. It is a sham, scam organization, sapping every last dollar out of the gullible. Wait a minute, what an appropriate place for Thaksin to hold his meeting.

This is not a thread about the Church of Scientology. I reject the Church and all that it stands for. I also reject the concept of wearing magical amulets that some think will ward off evil. Yet, many TVFers wear them and head off to their local wats to do whatever it is such people do. that I respect their right to hold such beliefs. In this specific case, there was no sponsorship by, nor association with the CoS. A room was rented by third parties to which Dr. Thaksin was invited to speak. When events are held at facilities owned by the Roman Catholic Church does this make attendees supporters of the child abuse associated with the RC Church? I think not.

I find it odd that foreigners in Thailand would discount the Thais that live in the USA. How are these Thais any different than the foreigners that live in Thailand? All have relocated for their own personal reasons and yet most hold emotional and cultural ties to their homelands.

What are patriotic Thais doing living in America.

Maybe they invited him to come and speak to remind themselves of why they left Thailand.

• Like 2

Loads of waffle and Lord of waffle at the same time. Like a non-stop sound that no one bothers to listen to. I wish he'd just kick the bucket or go into seclusion too so everyone can move out of the medieval age and get on with living life.

Edited by gemini81

When I thought the man couldn't stoop any lower...

The Scientology facility rents out its meeting room as do other organizations. Dr. Thaksin's presence is in no way linked to the Church. When I was a student, the Legion Hall in our university town was often rented out to punk and ska bands. It didn't make the Legion supporters of the bands, nor did it make the musicians supporters of the Legion. The local group that invited Dr. Thaksin to speak to the patriotic Thais assembled selected a secure venue that was affordable. Nothing wrong with that. In any case, the Church is a legal organization and has just as much right to exist as any other religious organization that rents out its facilities.

These will be all the patriotic Thais who have left Thailand to live in the USA, many who will now have US citizenship are they?

Lets not get started that the Church of Scientology is a Church. Even Hubbard's son (who the scientologist's hate for obvious reasons) has stated over and over again that his father was a lunatic who told him that he was conducting an experiment to see how far people would take his story. Seems he would be very proud. It is a sham, scam organization, sapping every last dollar out of the gullible. Wait a minute, what an appropriate place for Thaksin to hold his meeting.

This is not a thread about the Church of Scientology. I reject the Church and all that it stands for. I also reject the concept of wearing magical amulets that some think will ward off evil. Yet, many TVFers wear them and head off to their local wats to do whatever it is such people do. that I respect their right to hold such beliefs. In this specific case, there was no sponsorship by, nor association with the CoS. A room was rented by third parties to which Dr. Thaksin was invited to speak. When events are held at facilities owned by the Roman Catholic Church does this make attendees supporters of the child abuse associated with the RC Church? I think not.

I find it odd that foreigners in Thailand would discount the Thais that live in the USA. How are these Thais any different than the foreigners that live in Thailand? All have relocated for their own personal reasons and yet most hold emotional and cultural ties to their homelands.

I also reject the concept of wearing magical amulets that some think will ward off evil.

Wwonder how many amulets Dr. Thaksin have?

Wonder what the subject of his seminar is? The importance of upholding rule of law in emerging democracies...?

I think he should attend such a seminar while he is there. Preferably one hosted by Joe Pesci.

The "seminar" conducted under the Statue of Liberty-emblazoned banner,

I Love Democracy

Red N.Y. (New York)

held at the second-rate Thai place in New York.

Watched the first 20 minutes, will watch the other 40 when I get back.

- He talked about how bad the current constitution is and how it's like a ticking time bomb which allows the dissolution of a party at any time.

-The Red Shirts are intelligent people while the opposition and whoever else are unintelligent for believing he was dead, was corrupted or had cancer.

- He said previously there were politicians who weren't skillful, now that they have skillful politicians in place, the country will be a better place but it's still in the first few steps.

- He had met with certain politicians (I couldn't get the name, the audio was bad) and that he went around talking to people about the progress on cure for cancer and about technological advances (such as converting gas to something (bad audio)) to improve Thailand.

- He will have lunch in Houston, TX then dinner at LA.

- He will support the Red Shirts any way in the US he can and reiterated that the Red Shirts are the smart ones.

He spent a good 15 minutes or so talking about the Constitution, not in detail but just attacking on how bad it was with the main point being its ability to dissolve a political party.

Based on this transcription......ramblings of a mad man..."Reds intelligent people" was all I had to read

You should be aware that Isaan is called " the hub of intelligent people ".

"He will have lunch in Houston, TX then dinner at LA."

He goes back to his roots., where he made is PhD for extrajudicinal killings.

The State of Texas is outside developped countries, murdering proven innocents and mental seriously handicapped by death penalty.

Check the US University ranking where Thaksin made is doctor. Start by 200 .....

A ranking should only be looked at in respect to a program. I attended a University which had a mediocre ranking in social sciences and sports. Yet, it held one of the top rankings in business and certain sciences. There were 3 nobel laureates that lectured in the science faculty. Our journalism faculty was pathetic and they had some real nutcases teaching in the Social Sciences faculty, including one infamous racist.

In respect to Sam Houston, Dr. Thaksin studied criminal justice. Let's look at the faculty's standing;

- Classified as a “Doctoral Research University” by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, placing SHSU in top 7% of all U.S. colleges & universities

- Recognized by Princeton Review as one of the “Best in the West” universities

- Wall Street Journal recognized SHSU funded research with the Innovative Technology” award

- The SHU Criminal Justice College ranked in U.S. Top 5, Journal of Criminal Justice

- Masters in Forensic Science, 1 of 8 fully accredited in U.S.

- PhD in Clinical Psychology with Forensic emphasis, 1 of 7 accredited in U.S.

I find it amusing that the best some can do is take cheap shots at Dr. Thaksin's education. Dr. Thaksin is certainly better educated than most politicians in the world. His advanced education served him well when he took on the drug cartels that sought to effect narco states in some of the Thai provinces. Perhaps this is why some people love them man as he kept the narco terrorists at bay.

Edited by geriatrickid

The State of Texas is outside developped countries, murdering proven innocents and mental seriously handicapped by death penalty.

Check the US University ranking where Thaksin made is doctor. Start by 200 .....

A ranking should only be looked at in respect to a program. I attended a University which had a mediocre ranking in social sciences and sports. Yet, it held one of the top rankings in business and certain sciences. There were 3 nobel laureates that lectured in the science faculty. Our journalism faculty was pathetic and they had some real nutcases teaching in the Social Sciences faculty, including one infamous racist.

In respect to Sam Houston, Dr. Thaksin studied criminal justice. Let's look at the faculty's standing;

- Classified as a “Doctoral Research University” by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, placing SHSU in top 7% of all U.S. colleges & universities

- Recognized by Princeton Review as one of the “Best in the West” universities

- Wall Street Journal recognized SHSU funded research with the Innovative Technology” award

- The SHU Criminal Justice College ranked in U.S. Top 5, Journal of Criminal Justice

- Masters in Forensic Science, 1 of 8 fully accredited in U.S.

- PhD in Clinical Psychology with Forensic emphasis, 1 of 7 accredited in U.S.

I find it amusing that the best some can do is take cheap shots at Dr. Thaksin's education. Dr. Thaksin is certainly better educated than most politicians in the world. His advanced education served him well when he took on the drug cartels that sought to effect narco states in some of the Thai provinces. Perhaps this is why some people love them man as he kept the narco terrorists at bay.

Ya they are running scared now. Ever since he stopped killing them along with any one else his goons didn't like they have been back in the saddle again. The police are rounding up a few minor players hiring a brass band to announce it and failing to mention they have barley made a dent in the trade. He gave us a real legacy of how to take credit for some thing he never did and in the process kill over 1,500 innocent people. Thailand would be in a better position in the war or what ever you want to call it if 20% of his brag was true.

His advanced education in Criminal Justice showed him how to run when the Justice system catches up to him. Go into self exile. I could have tought him that for a lot less than he paid the college.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

But what it does prove, higher education is not a measure of intelligence...as my old Dad used used to say educated idiots...

No self repecting dictator or aspiring dictator these days is without their Phd's - for example Mahmoud Ahmadinejad resident loonie of Iran has a Phd in engineering, Robert Mugabe has a few Phd's to his name, Paul Kagame, but to name a few

"The State of Texas is outside developped countries, murdering proven innocents and mental seriously handicapped by death penalty."

I have worked in several five star hotels and restaurants in Texas and not one of them i had to crap in a hole in the floor. As for the death penalty, you complain about innocents and yet Thaksin killed thousands, many were killed as the police were the drug dealers and wanted to eliminate the competition. In one particular case a seventeen year old boy was strung up in a rice field then beaten and hung till dead the police convicted to murder, sentenced to death and BONDED OUT! With an advanced society like this am suprised that the Thai space program is not farther along. FYI Born and raised in TEXAS! You should visit, we smell like yellow roses.cowboy.gif

-

deleted for quote limits -

I Love Democracy

Red N.Y. (New York)

Watched the first 20 minutes, will watch the other 40 when I get back.

- He talked about how bad the current constitution is and how it's like a ticking time bomb which allows the dissolution of a party at any time.

-The Red Shirts are intelligent people while the opposition and whoever else are unintelligent for believing he was dead, was corrupted or had cancer.

- He said previously there were politicians who weren't skillful, now that they have skillful politicians in place, the country will be a better place but it's still in the first few steps.

- He had met with certain politicians (I couldn't get the name, the audio was bad) and that he went around talking to people about the progress on cure for cancer and about technological advances (such as converting gas to something (bad audio)) to improve Thailand.

- He will have lunch in Houston, TX then dinner at LA.

- He will support the Red Shirts any way in the US he can and reiterated that the Red Shirts are the smart ones.

He spent a good 15 minutes or so talking about the Constitution, not in detail but just attacking on how bad it was with the main point being its ability to dissolve a political party.

Based on this transcription......ramblings of a mad man..."Reds intelligent people" was all I had to read

Sad elitest comment.

True, and given that there are millions of UDD members it is certain that their intelligence 100% mirrors that of Thai society ...

True, and given that there are millions of UDD members it is certain that their intelligence 100% mirrors that of Thai society ...

No such 100% certainty. It is quite possible, if not highly likely, that UDD members are the most stupid and uneducated in the country. Recent BP polls show a high level of discontent with PTP policies and performance by those educated enough to read English. Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything..Frank Drane

Another huge crowd listening to Thaksin...in Las Vegas... at a rather curious venue:

the Church of Scientology.

486617_226885527434360_600559816_n.jpg

http://talk.prachata...caron;าวส

Church of Scientology?blink.png Has Thaksin begun worshiping Zoboo from the planet whatchamacallit? It all makes perfect sense now.huh.png

Probably just the cheapest venue hall the tour coordinators could find to rent for an hour as the Elvis Wedding Chapel was all booked up, but, then again, with Thaksin, anything is possible.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4989593

Perhaps he was giving a talk titled "The next ntep in creating a cult of personality for profit: how to take over a country."

Another huge crowd listening to Thaksin...in Las Vegas... at a rather curious venue:

the Church of Scientology.

486617_226885527434360_600559816_n.jpg

http://talk.prachata...caron;าวส

Church of Scientology?blink.png Has Thaksin begun worshiping Zoboo from the planet whatchamacallit? It all makes perfect sense now.huh.png

Probably just the cheapest venue hall the tour coordinators could find to rent for an hour as the Elvis Wedding Chapel was all booked up, but, then again, with Thaksin, anything is possible.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4989593

Perhaps he was giving a talk titled "The next ntep in creating a cult of personality for profit: how to take over a country."

Looks like a standing room only audience. Packed to the rafters.

Wonder what the subject of his seminar is? The importance of upholding rule of law in emerging democracies...?

I think he should attend such a seminar while he is there. Preferably one hosted by Joe Pesci.

I Love Democracy

Red N.Y. (New York)

I could understand why they'd like the statue's image, but someone should explain them that the Statue of Liberty torch is NOT meant for burning down cities.

The fact is that the gentleman earned his doctorate in criminal justice

Dr. Chalerm is to be the expected use now

Edited by Buchholz

The UDD has many supporters, but how many 'members' is unknown to me. Even the Pheu Thai party might only have 30,000 or so registered members. Last month Chaturon Chaisaeng, a core member of the 111 Thai Rak Thai Foundation was lamenting about TRT having 15 million in it's finiest hour.

BTW the wiki page on the UDD lists two websites for the UDD. The .com one gives me a http://w3.mict.go.th/ Someone should inform them smile.png

Certainly looks like officials of the American government are studiously ignoring him, or have I missed something?

How many times do they need to meet with him? Representatives of the US department of state met with him and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have some private meetings with some congressional personnel. Not every activity is reported on.

"Representatives of the US department of state met with him" ?

Please elaborate.

I think he's talking about the immigration flunkie that stamped him into the country at the airport.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

The little guy in the Red Shirt is scheduled for a one-night-only performance this Sunday at the worn-out and drab Thailand Plaza restaurant/karaoke shop/entertainment center that sits atop a grim supermarket on crime-ridden Hollywood Boulevard.

5589121923_f8aa60cbea.jpg

His five-hour appearance at the dingy Thailand Plaza restaurant is now being billed as:

Talk to the Prime Minister

http://web.parliamen...php?prid=336297

That's because they spared no expense with his belated happy birthday cake.

P80-12.jpg

Notice it says PM Thaksin...!!!

An unavoidable developing theme for the intrepid USA Tour 2012.

The theme is, once again, re-emphasized for his arriving in L.A.

8.jpg

Sanook News

http://news.sanook.c...;รง/

which really puts the other thread in perspective.

Government Willing To Wait On Constitution And Unity Bills, Thaksin Says

With all these signs, at least the Thais in the USA are fully upfront about saying who is The Prime Minister and who is The Head Of The Government.

If only Yingluck would acknowledge it instead of her empty denials.

Edited by Buchholz

Geriatrickid

Boy you are on a roll tonight, you sound like you want Thaksin's babies. Has Chalerm given you the recipe for his ear medicine?

Tomorrow you will be reading that it isn't about Thaksin.

While Thaksin is in New York maybe someone should ask Thaksin about his ant-gay diatribes and how this chimes with his professed support for democratic principles.

Geriatrickid

Boy you are on a roll tonight, you sound like you want Thaksin's babies. Has Chalerm given you the recipe for his ear medicine?

Tomorrow you will be reading that it isn't about Thaksin.

While Thaksin is in New York maybe someone should ask Thaksin about his ant-gay diatribes and how this chimes with his professed support for democratic principles.

Dr. Thaksin may have an unsupportive view of some gay activities and political advisers,, but he has not advocated the denial of civil rights for homosexuals. It may come as a shock, but a large segment of the population has similar views. Dr. Thaksin's views are not any more extreme than those of the Dalai Lama, nor Nelson Mandela. His policies were certainly more accomodating than the offical government policies of some western countries and Thailand's neighbours in SE Asia. Are you aware that funding for "gay" related social service organizations was higher during the Thaksin era than it was in the following administrations? The funding cuts were initiated after the military junta took power and were not reversed during the Abhisit administration. On the other hand, military spending was increased under the junta and Abhisit administrations. Dr. Thaksin's strongest views are in respect to the sex trade and I can understand why some foreigners would dislike him for that.

Edited by geriatrickid