Foxconn 3500 Or Other Micro Nano Pc Packages In Thailand.

LivinLOS

Might add a couple of bedroom media systems, just trying to price up whats possible locally v bringing in units from the states or UK.

Not only this foxconn unit, tho it would be ideal, but anything similar in the micro / nano PC side here in Thailand.

Havent been to Panthip in ages and no idea of what sites might have them.

Foxconn 3500, xtreamer ultra barebones, etc etc etc..

Or even the new android options like g box..

Curious whats here in bangkok if I make a trip down.

I have an Asus EB 1501,which I use for streaming to my tv, but I had

to get it sent from UK as I have never seen any mini pcs here.

I would also like to know if the Lenovo Q180 is available in Thailand,

lots of countries seem to have it,but trying to find information on the

Thai Lenovo site is less than easy.

regards Worgeordie

I am sure theres bits here, just finding them..

If I have to bring in from the UK I might just go with some apple 2's or boxee boxes..

Timing is odd as I think XBMC for android is going to be the next big jump (ouya, hacked nexus Q's, g Box, etc) So not sure about jumping too heavily into PC setups for each room. I might just convert the central server to plex and use rokus as plex extenders.

I am sure theres bits here, just finding them..

If I have to bring in from the UK I might just go with some apple 2's or boxee boxes..

Timing is odd as I think XBMC for android is going to be the next big jump (ouya, hacked nexus Q's, g Box, etc) So not sure about jumping too heavily into PC setups for each room. I might just convert the central server to plex and use rokus as plex extenders.

Plex extender? I had to google that....

I often read about using micro computers as a media players but I don't really get it. What are the main advantages of a PC based media player and/or a plex server over say a sigma based media player and NAS? Is it mainly about streaming external content?

Reconfigurability, customisation, skinning, control, etc.

Have a look at XBMC or Plex, then look at how you can control them with iPads (I might get a nexus 7 tablet for this duty) for pretty neat look and feel.

Then add in that open systems are far easier to get all the add ons, hulu, netflix, iPlayer, 4oD, SkyPlayer, etc built into the same OS structure. The way these hang together is pretty nice.. Want to feed in a dreambox / openbox MPEG stream ?? You can.. Want to capture your 'TV' feed (if you even need a live TV feed with all these options) you can use a slingbox system. Want to use Sopcast for a sport event live ?? You can.. The whole thing is moving to IPTV shifting and control of the stream rather than 'broadcast and watch'. The next couple of years is going to see TV moving to streaming solutions much like music and audio has shifted from radio, to MP3s, to now cloud and spotify accounts.

I personally think the android platform is going to be the next wave so am kind of holding off perhaps tricking out a whole bunch of these.. One I have my eye on is the G-Box platform or the Pivos offerings. I might buy one just to tinker with as a testbed as its a bit too fresh to be really perfected yet. Probably a year out but I dont mind dropping a hundred or so on hardware just to be in the loop as it gets going.

Edited by LivinLOS

Reconfigurability, customisation, skinning, control, etc.

Have a look at XBMC or Plex, then look at how you can control them with iPads (I might get a nexus 7 tablet for this duty) for pretty neat look and feel.

Then add in that open systems are far easier to get all the add ons, hulu, netflix, iPlayer, 4oD, SkyPlayer, etc built into the same OS structure. The way these hang together is pretty nice.. Want to feed in a dreambox / openbox MPEG stream ?? You can.. Want to capture your 'TV' feed (if you even need a live TV feed with all these options) you can use a slingbox system. Want to use Sopcast for a sport event live ?? You can.. The whole thing is moving to IPTV shifting and control of the stream rather than 'broadcast and watch'. The next couple of years is going to see TV moving to streaming solutions much like music and audio has shifted from radio, to MP3s, to now cloud and spotify accounts.

I personally think the android platform is going to be the next wave so am kind of holding off perhaps tricking out a whole bunch of these.. One I have my eye on is the G-Box platform or the Pivos offerings. I might buy one just to tinker with as a testbed as its a bit too fresh to be really perfected yet. Probably a year out but I dont mind dropping a hundred or so on hardware just to be in the loop as it gets going.

Thanks for the explanation. Can see that I need to do a lot more research....

Maybe I should add.. I am a tinkerer.. I dont mind fiddling with setups and enjoy perfecting them. The android tangent I was mentioning is very much early adopter (meaning not working) stage right now.

If you have an old PC, install XBMC or Plex media server.. Play around.. From there you can look at if you want to build a micro system or go further into low power PCs. Issues to remember then are noise, heat, power use, remote control, etc etc..

Maybe I should add.. I am a tinkerer.. I dont mind fiddling with setups and enjoy perfecting them. The android tangent I was mentioning is very much early adopter (meaning not working) stage right now.

If you have an old PC, install XBMC or Plex media server.. Play around.. From there you can look at if you want to build a micro system or go further into low power PCs. Issues to remember then are noise, heat, power use, remote control, etc etc..

Yes I understand about the tinkering. Often that's more fun than actually using the end result. Earlier this year I converted a room in my house into a dedicated home theatre with 1080p projector etc etc. Apart from showing it off to friends, I hardly ever use it.

The HTPC stuff is interesting. I'll look into it.

BTW, can you recommend a good programmable remote that can manage all the stuff in a home theatre? It's really a pain in the a... juggling with 3 or 4 remotes. I haven't noticed them for sale in BKK but guess they are. Or am I better getting it from somewhere else?

I like the tinkering but am the opposite about a projection room.. Had projectors in 3 of my last houses and will have a full dedicated media room in the villa I am planning to build but this rental house doesnt have the layout I can use.

I love movies and a projector just feels like 'movie' so much more than a flat panel ever does. Something about that beam of light with the dust particles bouncing in it that makes me feel like escape into a story mood. With a projection setup its more like 'phone off, shut up, watch this' and any chattering women or somtam discussions are banished. Flat screens just dont have that magic for me (tho are brighter, more vivid color, etc).

A couple of low cost media devices for "tinkering";

http://dx.com/p/mini-android-2-3-hd-1080p-network-media-player-w-wi-fi-hdmi-usb-av-tf-134686

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/04/04/mele-a2000-android-2-3-media-player-powered-by-allwinner-a10/

http://www.smalltao.com/product/14546035231/Hard%20disk%20player%20Zhuo%20Ying%20A2000

I'm aware of these devices via Barry Kauler's blog (Puppy Linux). Which, I follow.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?page=17

And, there has been further development by others as evidenced by the more recent entries in the blog.

Cheers