Buying A Tractor

JohnCC

I am planning on increasing the farm from 20 rai to 40 rai in 2014 and over the next 5 years to 60 rai.

I would like to buy a second hand tractor to:

1) make farming easier of up to 60 rai and not have to rely on contract tractor and driver.

2) Thai girl's father used to drive and repair and service lorries and tractors so thought he could do a bit of contract ploughing

3) Buy a trailer and use for taking sugar cane to factory (2kms) and produce to market (1.5kms).

4) Later buy a bore hole machine to drill for water and use tractor to drive it.

5) A toy for me.

I had my heart on a Kubota L4708 or older L4508.

I went to look at new Kubota Tractors when in Kumpawapi to see the current model and pick up a brochure.

The Thai girl's father said that the Yanma tractor is easier to work on and also easier to get into rice fields.

Then I read on this forum that the Yanma is sold as the smaller John Deer and John Deer have quite a good reputation.

I would appreciate your opinions on the following:

1) Is Kubota L4708 sufficent for the list of requirements above or should I even consider the Kubota M series

2) Is the Yanma a better buy. I mean by this; reliable; servicing; spare parts.

I would also appreciate a link or contact for buying a trailer suitable for a tractor or where I can have one made to my specification.

I am looking at buying a second hand 2 year old tractor.

I had my heart on a Kubota

What kind of tractor work does your father in law want to do? If it's anything other than wet rice paddy work, your tractor is too small. I see guys around here ploughing dry, hard dirt with their small tractors...they just beat up their tractor, and don't do much to the dirt really. There is aFord/New Holland dealer in Kumpawapi that has some 2nd hand Ford 6610's. Also there is an "out of the way place" close to me (Sri Bun Reuang in Nong Bua Lamphu) that has a lot of imported used Ford's. You should be able to find a decent machine for 4-800 K depending on it's age and specs.

The Ford is probably too big for rice work though. What is it that you are farming on your own farm?

I am planning on increasing the farm from 20 rai to 40 rai in 2014 and over the next 5 years to 60 rai.

1) make farming easier of up to 60 rai and not have to rely on contract tractor and driver.

2) Thai girl's father used to drive and repair and service lorries and tractors so thought he could do a bit of contract ploughing

3) Buy a trailer and use for taking sugar cane to factory (2kms) and produce to market (1.5kms).

4) Later buy a bore hole machine to drill for water and use tractor to drive it.

5) A toy for me.

I went to look at new Kubota Tractors when in Kumpawapi to see the current model and pick up a brochure.

The Thai girl's father said that the Yanma tractor is easier to work on and also easier to get into rice fields.

Then I read on this forum that the Yanma is sold as the smaller John Deer and John Deer have quite a good reputation.

1) Is Kubota L4708 sufficent for the list of requirements above or should I even consider the Kubota M series

I would also appreciate a link or contact for buying a trailer suitable for a tractor or where I can have one made to my specification.

What kind of tractor work does your father in law want to do? If it's anything other than wet rice paddy work, your tractor is too small. I see guys around here ploughing dry, hard dirt with their small tractors...they just beat up their tractor, and don't do much to the dirt really. There is aFord/New Holland dealer in Kumpawapi that has some 2nd hand Ford 6610's. Also there is an "out of the way place" close to me (Sri Bun Reuang in Nong Bua Lamphu) that has a lot of imported used Ford's. You should be able to find a decent machine for 4-800 K depending on it's age and specs.

The Ford is probably too big for rice work though. What is it that you are farming on your own farm?

Thank you for that.

The existing 20 rai is 9 rai Sugar Cane and 9 rai Rice.

The 20 rai I am looking at is 12 rai Sugar Cane and 6 rai rice.

I was going to leave the existing 20 rai as it is so not responsible for any problems.

The purpose of the 40 rai would be self sufficient food for the family (4 adults and 3 young children) and excess to be sold at the local market.

I would therfore assume that the existing 9 rai of rice on the existing 20 rai would be sufficent and would diversify into other crops on the rice on the proposed new land.

1) use the old crop rotation principles for nutrients back in soil

2) grow more fruit trees around the farm

3) try grow more varied crops with high value crops like asparagus etc.

My objective is also to have cows for producing young for beef cattle and to be able to feed them from the farm ground.

I was also looking at getting chickens and ducks

The purpose of the tractor with the Thai's father as driver would be to make life on the farm easier and the ability to contract himself out to other small farmers which in Huai Koeng; Kumpawapi area appears to be Sugar Cane and rice.

• 7 months later...

5) A toy for me.

Thank you for that.

The existing 20 rai is 9 rai Sugar Cane and 9 rai Rice.

The 20 rai I am looking at is 12 rai Sugar Cane and 6 rai rice.

I was going to leave the existing 20 rai as it is so not responsible for any problems.

The purpose of the 40 rai would be self sufficient food for the family (4 adults and 3 young children) and excess to be sold at the local market.

I would therfore assume that the existing 9 rai of rice on the existing 20 rai would be sufficent and would diversify into other crops on the rice on the proposed new land.

1) use the old crop rotation principles for nutrients back in soil

2) grow more fruit trees around the farm

3) try grow more varied crops with high value crops like asparagus etc.

My objective is also to have cows for producing young for beef cattle and to be able to feed them from the farm ground.

I was also looking at getting chickens and ducks

The purpose of the tractor with the Thai's father as driver would be to make life on the farm easier and the ability to contract himself out to other small farmers which in Huai Koeng; Kumpawapi area appears to be Sugar Cane and rice.

Latest:

I still have not bought any more land yet because waiting for the price to be realistic.

I have read what people have said here and other posts and I think I should go for a larger tractor especially if I get contract work in the village.

I have always been a fan of German products for engineering and quality (Cars, Kitchen appliances etc).

I see that Thailand are now offering German Deutz Fahr.

www.http://deutzfahrthailand.com/

Anyone know anything about these and if they are any good regarding reliability and spare parts?

You might be waiting a while for land prices to come down.

Deutz were a good reliable tractor,service back up and parts would be a concern unless a dealer close by.

German engineering but most likely made in india or somewhere like.(as john deere are)

Trust me,stick with ford or kubota or maybe yanmar,,spare parts is the key and when you have a breakdown in the middle of seeding or harvest you dont want to be travelling hundreds of kms to fix it.

For your purpose,stick with your original idea kubota 4708 (secondhand from kubotamax dealer or private) and plug away.Use a contractor for what you cant do with the sugar.

Good luck with your decision

• Like 1

Most of the used Japanese tractors are imported in bulk from Japan. Earlier this year I got a price on 10 used Kubota tractors, 15 - 19 horse power, all with rotary tillers, containerized and shipped CIF Bangkok. The local dealer gets 40ft containers full of Japanese equipment quite often. There were two 4wd and eight 2wd which I picked from a website. The total cost for all 10 was 713,500 baht CIF Bangkok. My broker in Bangkok "thinks" that they would be duty free due to agreements between Japan and Thailand but I didn't pursue it further since my buyer backed out. The deal was he would pay for all 10 and I would bet one free for arranging the import.

• 3 years later...

I can get old 2WD drive kubotas in the 30 horsepower range for around 70,000 baht. So far the only thing I find wrong is they need tie rod ends (320 baht a pair at the local auto parts store),  water hoses (they never seem to leak but you know they are going to), and the fluids changed out. Everyone I have tried out had a great running and really strong motor. 

As for the guy who says a 4508 or 4708 kubota isn't enough oompf for 60 rai, you are off your nut mate. You are talking about 24 acres total and that is nothing for a machine that size. I have an L1285  (30 horsepower) that has no trouble at all with large patches of dirt. Sure I have to make more passes than a huge tractor but hell I got nothing but time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiNooby said:

As for the guy who says a 4508 or 4708 kubota isn't enough oompf for 60 rai, you are off your nut mate. You are talking about 24 acres total and that is nothing for a machine that size. I have an L1285  (30 horsepower) that has no trouble at all with large patches of dirt. Sure I have to make more passes than a huge tractor but hell I got nothing but time.

You can also do it with a buffalo and plough so whats you point? it all depends on that your requirements are. But a 2wd tractor has very limited use in Thailand. 

On the heavy clays of issan your window gets tight for preparing land and seeding.

From to dry to bogged in the blink of an eye.

What i have found is if you can subsoil before March it will open up the soil then your choice of horsepower requirements are more flexible.

But the 1st time you try to break it open to around 500mm your going to need to hire some serious HP,after the initial break up it gets easier.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 8:42 PM, farmerjo said:

On the heavy clays of issan your window gets tight for preparing land and seeding.

From to dry to bogged in the blink of an eye.

What i have found is if you can subsoil before March it will open up the soil then your choice of horsepower requirements are more flexible.

But the 1st time you try to break it open to around 500mm your going to need to hire some serious HP,after the initial break up it gets easier.

Now here is a post from someone that understands farming in Isan. Can't agree more and can tell you many stories of my tractors getting bogged, and then the second getting bogged trying to get it out and the with the third joining. 

• Like 1

As much as we get our selves concerned by tractor brands and sizes,that is only half the deal.

Implements are more crucial than the tractor itself in Thailand.

When you purchase a tractor and think 3 disc and 7 disc ploughs as your 1st two implements you are starting out the wrong way.

13 hours ago, farmerjo said:

As much as we get our selves concerned by tractor brands and sizes,that is only half the deal.

Implements are more crucial than the tractor itself in Thailand.

When you purchase a tractor and think 3 disc and 7 disc ploughs as your 1st two implements you are starting out the wrong way.

Agreed. In fact I would go as far as to say that I would be first thinking where to house it and what tools and parts I would need for maintenance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...