Kittiratt Admits Corruptions Found In Rice-Pledging Scheme: Thailand

webfact

Kittiratt admits corruptions found in rice-pledging scheme

BANGKOK, 10 August 2012 (NNT) – Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong has admitted that there have been reports of corruption in the government’s rice-pledging scheme.

Mr Kittiratt said the arrest of the suspects alleged for corruption in the rice-pledging scheme in the Northeast is a good thing. He believed there are more corruption cases that have not been reported. He also stated that he had never promised that the program would totally be be free of corruption .

The minister said Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung has been assigned by the Premier to help eradicating corrupt practices in the scheme.

The World Trade Organization (WTO) has earlier commented that the Thai government’s rice-pledging program is a way to subsidize agriculturalists which goes against the WTO’s principle. Mr Kittiratt simply denied the allegation, saying it does not breach the WTO's rules.

The rice-pledging scheme has been highly criticized by academics who claim the program will cause a huge loss of up to 100 billion baht. According to them, the government has to seek 260 billion baht in loans, with around 5 billion baht interest per year, to pay for the program. Besides, they claimed that the project will ruin Thai rice export market, lower the Thai rice quality, and that it is plaqued with corruption by investors and politicians involved in the program.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-10 footer_n.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikes me this is an action to thin out the number of leeches from the scam scheme thus increasing the dividend payments for the political figures involved in the matter.

Votes cost money.

• Like 2

Mr Kittiratt said the arrest of the suspects alleged for corruption in the rice-pledging scheme in the Northeast is a good thing.

Corruption in the North-East red federation? Who would have thought ermm.gif

Mr Kittiratt said the arrest of the suspects alleged for corruption in the rice-pledging scheme in the Northeast is a good thing.

Is 1 scapegoat enough to wipe this major corruption case under the carpet?

Is 1 scapegoat enough to wipe this major corruption case under the carpet?

Luckily we just had Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm saying that allegedly opposition politicians are involved in crimes downSouth. Coming to their defence I must admit that if so, probably not related to the rice price pledging scheme wink.png

"He also stated that he had never promised that the program would totally be be free of corruption." In fact, when tried previously, the rice pledging scheme was renown for corruption - so what did he change from the previous scheme (other than the price) to prevent corruption recurring? If the answer is nothing (which I suspect) is this not a criminal failure to carry out his duties?

• Like 1

11 posts of blah, blah, blah............

There are probably not many precedents for a cabinet minister admitting corruption in a Gov't policy and going public with such an admission.

Rather puts the pressure on the government to do something about it.

Seems like quite a good start to me.

• Like 1

Kittiratt Na Ranong has admitted that there have been reports of corruption in the government’s rice-pledging scheme.

same as :

The United States has admitted there have been reports that Antarctica is cold.

Talk about stating the obvious K Kittirat.

It might be more enlightening if he had said "There have been reports that the scheme is corruption free". Now, that would be newsworthy.

• Like 1

There are probably not many precedents for a cabinet minister admitting corruption in a Gov't policy and going public with such an admission.

Baloney. Lots of good starts (talking) that lack middles (action) and ends (measurable results). You think this a good start? It will also be an ignominious end, if all goes true to form.

Edited by Reasonableman

He also stated that he had never promised that the program would totally be be free of corruption .

You shouldn't have to, you were entrusted by the electorate to rule and enforce the laws of the land for their benefit, development and prosperity of the Thai people.

So does that mean if government policy and projects are not explicitly promised to be free of corruption, we should all assume that they are riddled with corruption of some sort or another.

With morals and ethics like this where are the role models for the younger generation??

Out on bail and starring in Thai Soap Operas..

It would be if you believe that PT will do anything about it. Mentioning Chalerm as the the one to investigate is not a good start.

Why implement a 'scheme' if you know that it is open to corruption? I think the answer is obvious.

somebody must be getting filthy rich, who else would be shooting themselves and their country not only in the right footh, but both and arms also

western country have ponzi schemes

here they prefer rice SCAM

Edited by belg
  • Like 1

Kittiratt admits corruptions found in rice-pledging scheme

BANGKOK, 10 August 2012 (NNT) – Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong has admitted that there have been reports of corruption in the government’s rice-pledging scheme.

Mr Kittiratt said the arrest of the suspects alleged for corruption in the rice-pledging scheme in the Northeast is a good thing. He believed there are more corruption cases that have not been reported. He also stated that he had never promised that the program would totally be be free of corruption .

The minister said Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung has been assigned by the Premier to help eradicating corrupt practices in the scheme.

The World Trade Organization (WTO) has earlier commented that the Thai government’s rice-pledging program is a way to subsidize agriculturalists which goes against the WTO’s principle. Mr Kittiratt simply denied the allegation, saying it does not breach the WTO's rules.

The rice-pledging scheme has been highly criticized by academics who claim the program will cause a huge loss of up to 100 billion baht. According to them, the government has to seek 260 billion baht in loans, with around 5 billion baht interest per year, to pay for the program. Besides, they claimed that the project will ruin Thai rice export market, lower the Thai rice quality, and that it is plaqued with corruption by investors and politicians involved in the program.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-10 footer_n.gif

Chalerm has been assigned once again....

The expert at making noise in the beginning and making things disappear 5 minutes later

Wonder what will happen here

Not!

The rice-pledging scheme has been highly criticized by academics who claim the program will cause a huge loss of up to 100 billion baht.

I am getting fed up with hearing how this scheme or that scheme will lose billions of baht. The money will not be 'lost', it will however be redirected into certain individuals pockets.

The Buddha once said, "nothing in the universe is lost", everything finds it's way back to somewhere. In this case, he and you are 100% correct.

And what are they going to do?? Those involved had made many millions of baht and can easily flex their new found financial muscle to avoid persecution. There is as much chance of those involved seeing the inside of prison as Taskin has.

So I ask you what are they going to do to claim back the Thai tax payers money that has been unlawfully stolen and punish those responsible and complicit in this corruption. My bet is pass a couple of bits of token legislation promising to eradicate all future corruption leaving those guilty of past corruption free to enjoy the spoils of their crimes.

So glad my hard earned tax money is being used to support these people.

What a shock, not the fact that there is corruption in the rice pledging scheme but that some one admits it at last.

He only said 'there have been reports '

No doubt there will be a rebuttal coming soon. Last week there was NO PROBLEM with Europe. Or 2 weeks ago rubber. No the <deleted> is hitting the fan. Or is it another smoke screen :blink:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

Now you have hit the nail on the head. Don't expect any thing to happen to the guilty parties. But like you say it is a start. And from a PT who would of thought that.

What a shock, not the fact that there is corruption in the rice pledging scheme but that some one admits it at last.

He only said 'there have been reports '

No doubt there will be a rebuttal coming soon. Last week there was NO PROBLEM with Europe. Or 2 weeks ago rubber. No the <deleted> is hitting the fan. Or is it another smoke screen blink.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Sorry I got a bit excited when Mr Kittyrat said some people were arrested for alleged corruption

Corruption in Thailand.................perish the thought.

This whole place is corrupt from top to bottom and more than likely the only reason a politician "admits to/finds" corruption is so that they can be paid off and get their share!!