Thai Boxer Kaeo Pongprayoon To Fight For Gold Medal

george

What a joke of referee and judges.

Congratulations, Kaeo.

He still would have lost on points even without the warning deduction. I think his behavior after the loss reflects badly on Thailand.

They had the final round 7-6 to the chinese cheat - forget the 2 points off for each the Thai beat the tar out of him in that last round.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been too many bad decisions in this tournament...but this was one of them.

Don't know how they scored the last round like that...he hardly threw a punch.

Sometimes you win on your reputation...as reigning Olympic champion and 3 times world champion he got the breaks.

RAZZ

Edited by metisdead
: Link to Bangkok Post removed as per rule 31.
  • Like 1

Very unsportsmanlike conduct by the Thai boxer and his coach.

In addition to the medal the OP says he would have gotten 100 million Baht if he won the gold, I can understand him being upset losing that kind of money to either incompetence or corruption. Not sure how much he gets for silver

what a disgrace an innocent victim of either incompetence or corruption,4years of blood sweat and tears down the pan to be robbed of his goal,but wait a minute this is a thai and a chinese so it will be interesting to see if there is any comments from any goverment official about corruption or incompetence.ref and the judges should be banned,and his trainer was right in my opinion if he didnt protest how he did who else would have.

• Like 1

Loosing to corruption, never right, never fair. Incompetence of ref same. Is there no appeal structure available?

I dont know enough about boxing to know if the allegations are right or not.

Yes you can , appeal within 5 minutes of bout but his coach failed to do this.

Boos ring round as another controversial decision mars Olympic boxing competition

Phil Lutton

brisbanetimes.com.au sports editor

Chinese boxer Zou Shiming had to endure boos as he stood on the podium to accept his gold medal after another night of controversial officiating in the Olympic boxing ring.

The Olympics has a rich history of questionable results in gold medal bouts. While Zou and his Thai opponent Kaeo Pongprayoon's flyweight final didn't sink to the notorious depths of Roy Jones Jnr's loss in 1988, when he was robbed blind against Korean Park Si-Hun, it elicited a stinging response from the ExCel Centre crowd.

"I think the points system at the Olympics is wrong or strange - not just my fight but others didn't go the way they should have. I've lost to him twice before and both times I think I should have won. I'm still really happy. I'm sorry I couldn't get gold for my mum, my dad and my kid. I did all I could"

Zou won a thoroughly ugly final 13-10, taking his Olympic medal tally to three after he won bronze in Athens and gold on home soil four years later. He pushed, rammed and at times almost tackled Pongprayoon, who was deducted two points in the first round for a non-specified offence.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz23I47w9BI

--The Sydney Morning Herald-- 2012-08-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Bad decision...... and further disgrace shown by The Nation, by the lack of reporting on something that is very important to this country.

Its a shame one has to look at other sources to find any report, rather than by the newspaper that should have the countrys pride and joy well covered, especially as it was for a Olympic Gold

You have lost further respect in my eyes Nation..... The report should have been headlines in a matter of minutes at least on and with the internet available...... others did it.....why didn't you????

• Like 1

What a joke of referee and judges.

Congratulations, Kaeo.

He still would have lost on points even without the warning deduction. I think his behavior after the loss reflects badly on Thailand.

They had the final round 7-6 to the chinese cheat - forget the 2 points off for each the Thai beat the tar out of him in that last round.

The Chinese guy cheated?

Bad decision...... and further disgrace shown by The Nation, by the lack of reporting on something that is very important to this country.

Its a shame one has to look at other sources to find any report, rather than by the newspaper that should have the countrys pride and joy well covered, especially as it was for a Olympic Gold

You have lost further respect in my eyes Nation..... The report should have been headlines in a matter of minutes at least on and with the internet available...... others did it.....why didn't you????

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/576526-thailand-live-sunday-12-aug-2012/#entry5564333

this result definately needs looking at,this is not the first time zou has been involved in controversy,back in the 2008 olympics at beijing in his semi final against paddy barnes the judges gave him points the barnes had scored result 15-0,then in the final his opponent retired and he was from mongolia.this fighter didnt come to fight he was running,grabbing and spoiling as for the ref.where was he from?

I feel for some of these boxers that train their hearts out, only to lose on suspect officiating.

Yes, the Thai response may not have been exemplary, but surely those that would condemn can understand and appreciate the devastating heartbreak. The group that should be embarrassed and ashamed is the boxing federation for allowing the questionable officiating.

• Like 1

In addition to the medal the OP says he would have gotten 100 million Baht if he won the gold, I can understand him being upset losing that kind of money to either incompetence or corruption. Not sure how much he gets for silver

I highly doubt it was about the money but ...

Awards promised from the government include Bt5 million cash upfront and Bt5 million paid as monthly instalments. Plus, sponsors of the Thailand Boxing Association announced they would give Bt50 million if Kaew, 32, wins the gold medal. He would also be promoted from master sergeant first class to a second lieutenant.

Other private companies also sought to reward him. For example, former deputy finance minister Warathep Rattanakorn yesterday announced he would give Kaew 10 baht of gold from a fund raised from business people. Owners of a rice mill and the owner of a dessert factory said they would also give five baht of gold each if he wins. Likewise, the Kamphaeng Phet governor said he would give the fighter Bt200,000 if he won.

I highly doubt it was about the money but ...

Awards promised from the government include Bt5 million cash upfront and Bt5 million paid as monthly instalments. Plus, sponsors of the Thailand Boxing Association announced they would give Bt50 million if Kaew, 32, wins the gold medal. He would also be promoted from master sergeant first class to a second lieutenant.

Other private companies also sought to reward him. For example, former deputy finance minister Warathep Rattanakorn yesterday announced he would give Kaew 10 baht of gold from a fund raised from business people. Owners of a rice mill and the owner of a dessert factory said they would also give five baht of gold each if he wins. Likewise, the Kamphaeng Phet governor said he would give the fighter Bt200,000 if he won.

Very Thai way of business

Olympics especially, poor loser sportsmanship reflects poorly on the country. This is especially true in a country that has few contenders and other competitors to offset the unsportsman like conduct.

Have seen it happen before when Thai boxers lose overseas. :(

Good fight by Kaew though. :)

Watching it over here everybody thought he was robbed, and I am disgusted with the Chinese boxer who fouled his way through the bout, and the ref who was completely incompetent.

Any reaction by the Thai man or his trainers is completely justified.

Crowd gave their verdict, and they know who the winner was. FAIR PLAY.

It wasn't a sporting reaction by the Thais but when you think you've just been conned it can't be easy to 'play the white man'.

If anyone is in doubt over the verdict simply listen to the crowd's reaction......in boxing nearly always the best indicator of the true result.

• Like 1

Corruption in Boxing never,corruption in Thailand never heard of it....

The guy did well to get to the final, but were his thoughts on gold for Thailand or 100million Baht.

When you lose you go over and shake your opponents hand, even if you feel you should have won.

If they wanted to appeal they could have, but they did not, so the result stands, or is some big General gonna ask Yingluck to look into it hahaha

Edited by beano2274

Thai boxer Kaeo's dream of Olympic gold medal shattered

LONDON, Aug 12 -- Thai boxer Kaeo Pongprayoon's dream of an Olympic gold medal for Thailand was shattered on Saturday when he was defeated by Zou Shiming of China in the men's light flyweight division (48kg) final at the 2012 London Olympic Games in London.

Zou, 31, successfully defended the title he won in the same division in Beijing four years ago, but it was controversial bout and an unpopular decision with the crowd at London’s ExCel Arena, who jeered the final score of 13-10 while Kaeo fell to his knees, banged the canvas in frustration and wept in the ring.

His trainer Omar Puentes Malagon also reacted angrily and lifted Kaeo's arm to show that it was his boxer who deserved the win.

The Thai boxer was hit with a two-point penalty for an unclear offense with 9 seconds left in the bout, increasing Zou’s margin of victory.

Thai boxer camp has filed protest against the decision but it was denied by the organising committee, citing that the protest must lodge within five minutes after the match.

Keao told reporters after the fight that he didn't know why his points were deducted.

"Thank you to all the Thai people, I did it for everyone. I'm sorry I didn't get gold for you," said Kaeo.

Zou, who won China's first Olympic boxing medal, a bronze, eight years ago and its first gold in front of home fans at the Beijing Games, added a second Olympic win to a career haul that also includes three world amateur championships.

It was expected the final Olympics match for both, as they will likely be too old for the Rio games in 2016.

This was also the first time since the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992 that a Thai boxer failed to win a gold medal.

Apart from the silver medal from Kaeo, Thailand bagged only two other medals: one silver medal from 58kg weightlifter Pimsiri Sirikaew and one bronze medal from Chanatip Sonkham in the women's taekwondo under-49kg category. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-12

I agree that Kaeo's coach had the opportunity to protest the decision but didn't. Too bad.That's done. IMHO Kaeo can come back to Thailand with his head held high, he put up the better fight and was denied a win by poor judging and refereeing. The audience and commentators knew who was the better boxer.

The Chinaman was all over the place.

Nothing for Kaeo to be ashamed of at all.

The Olympics is supposed to be all about participating and not a medal count.

Well done the man from Kampaeng Phet.clap2.gif

WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

Thai boxer Kaeo's dream of Olympic gold medal shattered

LONDON, Aug 12 -- Thai boxer Kaeo Pongprayoon's dream of an Olympic gold medal for Thailand was shattered on Saturday when he was defeated by Zou Shiming of China in the men's light flyweight division (48kg) final at the 2012 London Olympic Games in London.

Zou, 31, successfully defended the title he won in the same division in Beijing four years ago, but it was controversial bout and an unpopular decision with the crowd at London’s ExCel Arena, who jeered the final score of 13-10 while Kaeo fell to his knees, banged the canvas in frustration and wept in the ring.

His trainer Omar Puentes Malagon also reacted angrily and lifted Kaeo's arm to show that it was his boxer who deserved the win.

The Thai boxer was hit with a two-point penalty for an unclear offense with 9 seconds left in the bout, increasing Zou’s margin of victory.

Thai boxer camp has filed protest against the decision but it was denied by the organising committee, citing that the protest must lodge within five minutes after the match.

Keao told reporters after the fight that he didn't know why his points were deducted.

"Thank you to all the Thai people, I did it for everyone. I'm sorry I didn't get gold for you," said Kaeo.

Zou, who won China's first Olympic boxing medal, a bronze, eight years ago and its first gold in front of home fans at the Beijing Games, added a second Olympic win to a career haul that also includes three world amateur championships.

It was expected the final Olympics match for both, as they will likely be too old for the Rio games in 2016.

This was also the first time since the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992 that a Thai boxer failed to win a gold medal.

Apart from the silver medal from Kaeo, Thailand bagged only two other medals: one silver medal from 58kg weightlifter Pimsiri Sirikaew and one bronze medal from Chanatip Sonkham in the women's taekwondo under-49kg category. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-12

Imagine that Thais never knew the rules about lodging any appeal within 5 minutes of the end of the contest, Its London Uk another country , cant have "Thai" rules they only exist in the bubble of Thailand.