Do You Think Thailand Could Host The Olympics?

theblether

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IOC copyright nazis would have strokes trying to keep up with all the knock offs and unauthorized french fries.

I'm all for it cool.png

True so true.....When the first IOC copyright nazis get beaten up by the tuck tuck mafia in Patpong for causing troubles......

Anyone fancy sitting in huge stadium built by Thai builders using crappy materials because some High So creamed off the largest part of the building budget? Not me pal; you can take over all my ticket allocation anytime, that is, if there are any left after all the 'important' Thai people have been allocated their thousands of freebee's.

Good wind up Blether; and BTW, Scotland didn't win any medals because they were part of TEAM GB. Perhaps when Scotland gets the independence it craves ,self funded of course, they will enter as a Nation in their own right.

• Like 1

I do not think that Thailand is able to host the Olympics purely on the basis of time-scale.

The IOC only award the games 7 years in advance (ie 2020 games will be awarded next year).

7 years is not enough time to get anything built from planning? , political manoeuvring, inducements, awarding contracts, losers questioning legality of contracts, court cases, rebidding, and building. Of course if the IOC would award Thailand the 2044 games next year, then, yes they could.

Nah, Thailand is way too insular to host something like the Olympics.

I reckon Singapore could do it though - perhaps the only ASEAN country that could, and should, have a crack at it.

I've watched a lot of the Olympics and I agree with the OP, its been a tremendous success, on every level.

China is a part of the ASEAN I thought?

Thailand would be able to do it. Generally the people are industrious and quick learners when they apply themselves (I know you guys with a deadbeat brother-in-law are bristling at that one!), so I believe the capability is there.

As for getting past the corruption/cronyism/nepotism well, that's another story. When things go bad and it's blame time there are always foreigners to point at, and Malaysia sets the standard. Follow the newspapers in that country and at least once a month you'll read of some tragedy of people getting killed by some new structure that had suddenly fallen apart. After a study it will be determined that it was the fault of the foreign engineers who built it or defective imported materials.

I lived in Brazil for a while, and I don't think they can pull it off, we'll see about that.

Nah, Thailand is way too insular to host something like the Olympics.

I reckon Singapore could do it though - perhaps the only ASEAN country that could, and should, have a crack at it.

I've watched a lot of the Olympics and I agree with the OP, its been a tremendous success, on every level.

China is a part of the ASEAN I thought?

Nope. ASEAN members are:

Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. East Timor has applied, but not yet been admitted.

I don't think any country is ready to host the Olympics.

But once you have an event on such a big scale, all that is needed is money to host all the events. Corruption will take place but will not hinder the process that much. The money that will be made from the games will easily be a motivating factor that will make them pull it off.

I on't think its really that hard to pull off, countries that are poorer and with many other problems could do it, even North Korea could pull off such an event, but might not have many athletes wanting to attend lol.

It a large organised sporting event, not a space station.

Even if Thailand wanted it, which they don't, they would have to put in a bid in a very competitive environment. Just putting in a good bit is a massive endeavor. They wouldn't win the bid. Again, get real. They don't even want it. More important fish to fry here. Brazil has it because they have ARRIVED and they want to make a big show about it. That's why India will have it within 20 years or so. You can't compare the importance and power of Brazil (or India) to Thailand.

• Like 2

Even if Thailand wanted it, which they don't, they would have to put in a bid in a very competitive environment. Just putting in a good bit is a massive endeavor. They wouldn't win the bid. Again, get real. They don't even want it. More important fish to fry here. Brazil has it because they have ARRIVED and they want to make a big show about it. That's why India will have it within 20 years or so. You can't compare the importance and power of Brazil (or India) to Thailand.

Yeah thats true, they wouldn't win the bid in the first place.

They could, I think it would go off well and would be good for the country. Some people make way too much of scams, they are rather minor and most countries have them. In the grand scheme of things some Thai tuk tuk scam or even a gem scam is so incredibly minor. The next Olympics is happening in Rio, a city where much of it isn't even safe to walk the streets at night. Thailand has good transportation and hotel infrastructure, great food, friendly people, low costs, and is generally quite safe as far as random street crime is concerned. The main thing lacking for an Olympics or World Cup bid is sporting infrastructure. All the stadiums and such they'd have to build wouldn't see much use after so maybe not worth it.

DP25, nail on the head with your comment:

"The main thing lacking for an Olympics or World Cup bid is sporting infrastructure. All the stadiums and such they'd have to build wouldn't see much use after so maybe not worth it".

To prepare for an event such as the Olympics, ie, the sporting infastructure, is more than half the problem of the organizing. More to the point, here in Thailand, based on modern history is the bidding for the contracts and the fixed (absolute) completion dates required.

And again where would the location of the stadiums be considering easy access for the spectators? Bangkok? Where? This is millions of spectators at one hit, not over a season we are talking. Outside Bangkok? Sure, great places to build stadiums all over the country, but where is the travel infastructure for people to get to and from?

I still have it in my mind that one (granted, one of many) of the contributing factors of Greece's financial difficulties stemmed from their hosting of the Olympic games and the amount of money they went over budget on the preparations for the events. Modern day Greece was never ready for that, but because of the history of the event, it would be nice to have had it there. It turned out to be very successful in the end, but at what cost to the economy? Not nearly as many visitors turned up as were expected. Because of the threat of terrorism. Look closely at what is being projected around the world regarding safety and ask yourself would Thailand attract the spectators? Forget your temple trotters and sex tourists; the have already been accounted for.

These are some of the negative aspects, but as some posters have already stated, any country should be able to host. But to what level of success?

Thailand has hosted the ASEAN Games a few times. The sports centre in Chaingmai is one of its legacies. They did a fair job of it considering. If tthe Olympics stepped back to normal like the old games in Melbourne instead of the media extraveganza they probably could manage an olympics.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

the Olympic committee would stop it somehow, Olympics and sex tourism image don't mix well.

If you are talking about the Asean games...

from Wiccipedea

Since the 1982 Games they have been organized by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), after the breakup of the Asian Games Federation.[1] The Games are recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and are described as the second largest multi-sport event after the Olympic Games.[2][3]

Now the Olympics.... some say that it is the biggest mass sex tourism event in the world.

Edited by harrry