Boxer Kaew Wins Thai Hearts As The Country Is Outraged After He Is Denied Olympic Gold

webfact

Thai agony

Kitinan Sanguansak

The Nation

30188180-01_big.JPG

Boxer Kaew wins Thai hearts as the country is outraged after he is denied Olympic gold in controversial decision

LONDON: -- A simmering feeling of injustice lingered yesterday in the wake of veteran light flyweight Kaew Pongprayoon's controversial loss to three-time world champion Zou Shiming of China in the boxing at the London Olympics.

Kaew might have won only a silver medal, but the diminutive fighter won the hearts of the Thai people with his spirited display in his bout against the Chinese, which looked more like a wrestling match after Zou repeatedly pushed, rammed and nearly tackled his opponent. The fight was paused several times after the two fighters fell to the canvas.

Spectators were clearly upset with Zou's antics in the ring, subjecting the Chinese to rounds of boos while rooting for the Thai to claim the scalp of his decorated opponent, who has won everything in his glittering career. Even TV replays showed only the moments of Kaew's punches hitting their target with impact.

Kaew's 13-10 loss in the final of the 49kg category meant the Kingdom failed to win a gold for the first time at the world's biggest sporting event in 16 years. It also ended the country's proud record of winning at least a boxing gold at every Games since Somluck Kamsing's groundbreaking success in the 1996 Atlanta Games.

The outcome seemed to be less of a surprise as many pundits expected the top seed Chinese to successfully defend his Olympic title without trouble against the Thai, who was making his first Games appearance at the age of 32. However, the bout turned out the opposite of what people anticipated as Kaew, the last of the three-member Thai boxing team, fought his heart out, taking the game to the Chinese, who turned away from confronting the Thai on several occasions.

Although the Kamphaeng Phet native failed to cap his remarkable performances in London with the Olympic title he craved, he will still return home tomorrow a national hero. His gutsy effort made him the toast of the public for boxing in a manner that encapsulated his never-say-die spirit.

The Thai received big cheers from the Excel Centre crowd while leaving the ring - which spoke volumes in itself.

It seemed a bit harsh for the 32-year-old to have his campaign end in such controversial circumstances after having to wait for 12 years to get the opportunity to chase his Olympic dream. The sight of the Thai collapsing to the canvas in despair while the referee raised the Chinese fighter's hand clearly depicted a man whose dream was shattered.

There was further drama after Cuban coach Omar Malagon refused to accept Zou's handshake, then gesturing to the crowd that his man had won and even holding up his hand in triumph, which drew deafening cheers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-13

• Like 1

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEDAL CONTROVERSY

He's not the first to see injustice

Kitinan Sanguansak

The Nation

LONDON: -- Veteran Kaew Pongprayoon is not the first and possibly not the last boxer to fall victim to controversial refereeing decisions, providing further evidence there is urgent need to change the International Boxing Association (AIBA)'s obviously flawed judging system.

China's Zou Shiming was declared winner in the light flyweight final of the Olympic boxing competition. Ironically, it was the Thai fighter who was afforded the bigger applause from the Excel Centre crowd for at least showing more desire to box, while a round of boos accompanied the Chinese as he left the ring. The incident undoubtedly did not do any favours for the world governing body AIBA, which has been struggling already to improve the image of a sport tainted by a series of debatable decisions. Such problems have become even more evident on the international arena, given a long list of well-publicised controversial results.

The most notable incident was in the 1988 Seoul Games when a young Roy Jones Jr. had every right to feel he was robbed of a win against home fighter Park Si Hun. The statistics of the bout - 86 compared to 32 - were clearly in favour of the American, who went on to become a multi-weight world champion. One judge admitted afterwards the decision was a mistake and all three judges ended up being suspended.

Curiously, despite being aware of a question mark hanging over the credibility of the sport, AIBA still adopted a |judging system for the London Games that barely made it more transparent. The score was shown at the end of each session, unlike in the previous Games in Beijing four years ago when it was displayed throughout each round.

What happened in boxing was in contrast to taekwondo, the discipline that has also faced questions about its integrity in the past. However, the controversy arising from some dubious officiating in the Beijing Games prompted the governing body, the World Taekwondo Federation (<deleted>), to overhaul its antiquated system of scoring punches and kicks by introducing electronic scoring and video replay. As seen in London, the trainer of each athlete now has the right to challenge the decision once in a bout, and the officials can then decide on a video review of an incident in question.

Indeed, there was a sign of what was to come in London when the BBC broke a story that Azerbaijan was alleged to have made an attempt to bribe AIBA officials in exchange for two gold medals. Even though the Inter-national Olympic Committee found no evidence of a bribe, the event - in the bantamweight bout involving an Azerbaijan fighter - did not do the credibility of the sport any favours.

Magomed Abdulhamidov initially won the fight, much to the surprise of people who watched the encounter in which the Azerbaijani was sent to the canvas six times by Japan's Satoshi Shimizu. The result was then overturned and the referee from Turkmenistan, who officiated in the fight, was sent home.

Unfortunately, the Olympic boxing competition will again be remembered most for some questionable decisions rather than the boxing performance itself. The question is how long the sport will stay in the Olympic programme if such problems remained unsolved.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-13

Storm of angry tweets rain down on boxing association

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30188182-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Netizens, both on Twitter and Facebook, reacted angrily to the controversial refereeing decision by the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) that saw the glove of Chinese boxer Zou Shiming raised to win the light flyweight Olympic gold medal over his Thai opponent Kaew Pongprayoon early yesterday morning.

"Shame on AIBA. We won't ask for gold medal for Kaew if it's a fair game last night. Even the audiences knew Thailand should be the winner," Patcharida Mam Wattana, a singer and voice trainer, commented via her Twitter account ?@patcharida in response to the result of the Olympic fight.

Zou, the champion at the Beijing 2008 Games, was credited with all three rounds in a 13-10 point victory, although the decision was roundly booed by the crowd at the Excel arena and Kaew slumped to the floor in disbelief when the referee raised the three-time world champion's arm.

Charoen Wattanasin, a sports administrator whose Twitter account is @Charoen_online, posted in his timeline that "Social Media should write a petition to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) against AIB, if we get five million petitions, I believe AIBA would be shaken."

Meanwhile, Panisara Opal Pimpru used her Twitter account @chocoopal to retweet some comments of a follower whose twitter account is @ammybottomblues, including one that read: "AIBA You just destroyed respect and spirit of boxing #Kaew, you are hero # people are not stupid."

But Trisdee na Patalung, a conductor, posted in the timeline of his Twitter account @Trisdee that "Wait Should we blame China or Referee."

Kornphop Joke Chancharoen, a singer known as Jokesocoll whose Twitter account is @jokesocool, tweeted in his timeline that "gold medal is imaginary victory but the ability that the world see is real. He could take the medal but the pride is with us."

John Winyu, a popular TV show host, posted on @johnwinyu that "the most important thing is continuing supporting Thai athletes. Don't be bored and then forget it or stopping reporting the story or ignore. We should support them."

Saengsuriya Saran posted a comment on AIBA's facebook fanpage that read: "AIBA!!!! You are businessman. So how much they paid for won. Become a rich company!!!! But poor justice."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-13

LONDON GAMES 2012

Disappointing result didn't dent pride in her champion son

The Nation

30188186-01_big.jpg

A file photo Mali Pongprayoon on August 10 in Kamphang Phet Province

BANGKOK: -- On National Mother's Day yesterday, the mother of Thailand's hottest boxer Kaew Pongprayoon was trying hard to fight back tears upon seeing her son declared the loser in his Olympic light flyweight final, despite boxing brilliantly and winning huge applause from the audience.

But in a telephone conversation with her son, she still offered lots of moral support to him.

"Don't be sad. You have done your best," Mali Pongprayoon told Kaew.

The mother also promised to pick up her son at Suvarnabhumi Airport when he returns from the London Olympics.

Many Thai fans were angry at the referees' decision, saying Kaew outboxed China's Zou Shiming, who was awarded the gold medal.

Due to yesterday's loss, Kaew will return to Thailand with a silver medal.

"I am not sad that the referees seem to favour his opponent," Mali said.

Kaew's father Kham Pongprayoon said he was not sad either. "I am glad that my son has done really well," he said.

The couple thanked all Thais for cheering their son.

Mali said Kaew had struggled hard for a long time because his parents were very poor. She said she and her husband had six children together, including Kaew.

"He left home when he was still very young. He had to go from one boxing camp to another for so long. But his perseverance has paid off," the mother said proudly.

Kaew's parents live in Kamphaeng Phet's Klong Lan Pattana district.

In Ayutthaya, Kaew's wife Tharathip Pongprayoon said she was proud of her husband even though he lost the final match.

"I think he has boxed very well, and the world - except the referees - sees him as the winner," she said.

She said if she gave birth to a son, she would name him "London".

"I also hope my son will follow in his father's footsteps," Tharathip said.

She thanked the Thai public for standing by Kaew's side and showering him with support.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, according to Government Spokeswoman Sansanee Nakpong, said Kaew won the hearts of both the Thai and foreign audiences.

Tomorrow, Yingluck will preside over a thank-you party at the Paragon Hall, Siam Paragon, for the Thai athletes who took part in the 2012 Olympic Games.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-13

Some of the boxing judges have made questionable decisions in this Olympics and they got this one wrong as well.

yeah, the disqualification of the iranian boxer was ridiculous too.

they suspended the ref but still didn't reverse the decision... you don't suspend the ref if you think he made the correct decision!

• Like 1

He got a silver a massive achievement. Lets focus on the positive please.

In sport human error often c hanges the result

Runners tripping up on the heels of other competitors and falling out of the race.

Footballs which cross the line, but the goal isn't given (despite howls of protest from the crowd)

To name but two other examples - It happens

He won a silver medal at an Olympics - To focus on the judges and there actions detracts from his amazing effort.

During the Olympics this year I remember watching a young British rower breakdown and cry and apologies that he only won Bronze. To which the reporter replied " You have nothing to be sorry for".

Focus on the positive

Nice one. Positive thoughts to start the day. Thank you.

• Like 1

Kaew won there is no question a complete mockery and injustice. It was also worth 50 million baht to him to win, I think I would go down on the canvas distraught If I had that kind of money dangled in-front of me then taking away by incompetent judges.

Apparently Toyota are giving him a new truck as runner up, not much to look forward to there then!

Dude got robbed, but I hate to say that judging was better than closing ceremony. Just something about British humor and British entertainment. I guess you got to be

British to get it.

Septic? Let me see; humour and entertainment yank-style...

ummm...

funny, all that comes to mind is the muppets. laugh.png

Haha, I think of Benny Hill. The Muppets was certainly better than Little House on the Prarie of the same period. Oh God TV was bad back then.

Dude got robbed, but I hate to say that judging was better than closing ceremony. Just something about British humor and British entertainment. I guess you got to be

British to get it.

I feel there`s a touch of the green-eyed monster in your post. Its great to be British today,what a golden sunrise.

To eliminate the judges and refree opinion/influence of competative sports, requires a overwhelming black is black victory. As mentioned, no one said life had to be fair, suck it up and do better next time.

If the Kaew did his best, as mother said, he can be as proud as she is. All things can be a learning experience, if viewed from the 'do better next time' attitude.