Rules, Regulations And Road Safety?

rct99q

After entertaining some people on another thread thought I would like to hear people's thought's on how road rules, regulations and general ideas of safety are enforced in Thailand. Some of you have told me were to go in another thread, thank you for your input.

My question is do you believe the main reason you are living here (Thailand) is because they enforce upon you the rules and regulations or is it because the Government does not enforce their rules and regulations upon you? Driving, drinking, prostitution, gambling, immigration, social welfare cut backs, cost of living etc.

Driving as an example:

how many times do you not wear a helmet when driving a motorbike (you know 30 seconds up the soi to get a beer)

not wear your seat belt in the car

do you have a VALID drivers license or do you just hope the check stop will not bother with you

do you have an international drivers permit as required, have you been here for more than 3 months, if so do you still drive illegally (thai license)

do you carry your passport with you everywhere you go as required by law especially when driving

do a 65 point vehicle inspection checking for lights, belts, fluids, cracked windshields, chip in the windshield, worn tires (tyres for uk people)

is your vehicle MOT tested for emissions

thanks.

On a recent trip back to OZ I was amazed at how much of a nanny state Australia has become. People with very nice cars limited to 100km per hour on fantastic multi lane duel carriage way roads. Your not even allowed to take your camera to the beach and take pics.

The do gooders will always play the "saving lives" card. Which is a difficult argument to contest. I agree 100% on drink driving but I'm sure better roads and better training are more important than revenue raising cameras and speed traps. Not to mention the improved safety of cars.

For me I like flexible rules and regulations. But as impossible at it seems, weeding out corruption in the Thai police would be a positive step. Control the drugs and various organized crime factions around the country and Thailand would be a much better place.

In the village I do short motorcycles rides without a helmet. No long distance motorcycle rides.

I always wear the safety belt and also require that from the other passengers.

I have a valid Thai drivers license and I am confused about your wording regarding international license (I will not renew it when it expires).

I do not carry my passport on day to day trips, only copies (risk of loosing vs. risk of being fined etc.).

"65 point vehicle inspection checking"? Don't know the term.

Emisson tested: no, It is a one year old car, assuming that it is OK.

I think most of us in Thailand take as much advantage as possible when a rule or regulation isn't stringently enforced. Thailand is a very relaxed country, and that is why we love it.

What irritates me are the loudmouth farangs who are given an inch and take a foot, such as those who never wear a motorcycle helmet, and then chuckle about it, but then complain if their bus is overcrowded, or the immigration office doesn't open on time.

My response:

1. I don't drive a motorcycle so I do not need a helmet.

2. I put on my seat belt right after putting the key in the ignition.

3. I have a valid Thai driver's license which expires in 2017.

4. I don't need an international driver's license. See number 3 above.

5. I carry my original passport in a little sissy purse which accompanies me when I drive anywhere.

6. Both of my vehicles go through the required MOT tests annually.

Now I have a question for happyaussie.

Why does the Australian government not permit you to carry your camera to the beach? What is their rationale?

My response:

1. I don't drive a motorcycle so I do not need a helmet.

2. I put on my seat belt right after putting the key in the ignition.

3. I have a valid Thai driver's license which expires in 2017.

4. I don't need an international driver's license. See number 3 above.

5. I carry my original passport in a little sissy purse which accompanies me when I drive anywhere.

6. Both of my vehicles go through the required MOT tests annually.

Why does the Australian government not permit you to carry your camera to the beach? What is their rationale?

The rationale is to stop pervs taking pics of girls in bikinis and kids.

Another stupid rule in the media this week, is that Australian airlines won't let men sit next to unaccompanied children on a plane. Sound lke a nation of perverts and paedophiles.

The rationale is to stop pervs taking pics of girls in bikinis and kids.

Another stupid rule in the media this week, is that Australian airlines won't let men sit next to unaccompanied children on a plane. Sound lke a nation of perverts and paedophiles.

Sounds like PC gone berserk.

From what I observed watching the Women's football, water polo and basketball teams in the recent Olympics, they can pretty well take care of themselves.

As far as the children are concerned, lock up the paedophiles and be done with it.

Thanks

It can happen to anyone. Travelling north back from Ubon, on Highway 212 (single lane each way) south of Amnat. (Probably the worst area for overtaking in very risky situations

at well over speed limit.

I was number 5 in a group,doing regulation 90kph,when it happened.

No 1 had an emergency stop, no2 rear ended no1, no3 which happened to be a Highway Patrol vehicle, took evasive action but became the MEAT IN THE SANDWICH, as no 4 just had a slight impact. As no 5, a sverve avoided connection.

Unfortunately i did nOt have a camera, but the look on the officers face as he called into base, would have been worth a THOUSAND WORDS.

Apart from that this section of highway

BADLY NEEDS AN ADDITIONAL LANE EACH WAY as other regular users will agree.I bet the stats do not look very flash.