Discount For Having Thai Driving Licence

Charlie

I was told that if you have a Thai driving licence you can

get discount to enter certain tourists places.

Is it true ?

What are the places that gives that kind of discount ?

Have any tried using that ?

Your kind advice is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

If you have a Thai DL you can often get entry into places that have dual pricing (one cheaper price for Thai, more expensive for foreigner) and pay the same as a Thai national would instead of the inflated 'farang' price. National parks and some Zoos are some examples of where there is usually dual pricing.

Not sure that you'll get the Thai price, but somewhere in between the two.

At Kow Keaw open zoo i was charged an in between price of the Thai's and the tourists.

At least i still got some discount.

I've got the Thai price everywhere I've shown mine.

It doesn't work for fines if you are captured speeding................sad.png

Edit: Or throwing your cigarette but on the floor, apparently...................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth

In many cases you will get the "local" price at attractions and national parks, but keep in mind that it is an unwritten rule for the most part, and may be applied subjectively depending on who is manning the gate.

• Like 1

At Kow Keaw open zoo i was charged an in between price of the Thai's and the tourists.

Yes, it seems to me I did not get tickets for the same price as Thai people at Khao Keaw Zoo. I had pull out my DL and, oh my God, I have paid 100 baht. But I saw, that the price for Thai people is 70 baht. But for tourists the price is much higher that I paid.

Same here. always and everywhere.

Same here. always and everywhere.

In general it helps me too to get Thai prices. Everywhere would be an overstatement but in most places yes.

It is also a nice form of id instead of your passport.

Showing a Thai DL indicates that you are a resident, and although it is not always given, it tends to get you the Thai price. It also helps if you can read the signs that indicate the different prices, where the numbers are often written in traditional Thai script and not romanized numbers. Asking for the Thai price and having the DL shows you are not just a tourist.

I can confirm that after showing driving license farang price is still charged at Lumphinee for the boxing unfortunately.

I can never understand why any tourist would want to visit what is probably one of the most over rated and over priced places in Bkk, not to mention the rip off farang prices.

Next time you want to see Thai boxing, head over to Channel 7 stadium on a Sunday afternoon, its FREE for all, Thai and farang.

In truth, the locals and admissions staff at the parks don't know WHAT it means. If you speak a little Thai, and are polite 9/10 times you will pay the Thai price. I have had, however, some staff demand to see my work permit, or pay farang price. Your mileage WILL vary.

On showing of my Thai driver's licence I've paid the Thai price at the Crocodile farm and NongNooch and a couple of other places that I forget.

NongNooch are pricks and illegally duel price even with a work permit and DL.

I normally get the Thai price, just by speaking a little Thai to them when I buy my ticket, no documentation needed.

But this weekend we went to Phimai in Korat and my gf brought the tickets and initially couldn't get it. I showed them my licence and they still wouldn't do it, wanted my work permit which I'd left at home.

So I handed back the farang ticket, told them Mai pen raii and that I'd just not bother, as I've seen tonnes of Khmer ruins and was in a shitty mood about the ticket. Gf talked to them briefly then I got in at the Thai price.

So yeah, what qualifies you for the Thai price changes depending on the person.

I can confirm that after showing driving license farang price is still charged at Lumphinee for the boxing unfortunately.

I can never understand why any tourist would want to visit what is probably one of the most over rated and over priced places in Bkk, not to mention the rip off farang prices.

Next time you want to see Thai boxing, head over to Channel 7 stadium on a Sunday afternoon, its FREE for all, Thai and farang.

I don't get it either but every visitor seems to want to go and it is costing me an arm and a leg!! Great tip about the Channel 7 Stadium... where is it?