Ecuador President Says No Decision Made On Assange Asylum Request

News_Editor

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot of South American countries harbor bail jumpers in London.

He applied for Political Asylum on the grounds that he was going to be persecuted and possibly executed by the U.S. The U.S never confirmed nor denied this. Ecuador investigated his claims as part of the application and it appears that his fears had merit and the U.S may very very well have been eager to cause him harm.

• Like 2

Gnat-boy is doing just fine getting himself into being the subject of a sex-crime investigation in Sweden and his criminal actions in the UK. Let him stew in his Ecuadorean broom-closet for while. cheesy.gif

Till the SAS come charging in. biggrin.png

Not a chance, they're all having a great time in Pattaya.
  • Like 2

A guy was just interviewed on the BBC and he said that Swedish prosecutors recently travelled to Serbia to interview a murderer? I think that says it all whistling.gif

This tune had of course been heard many times before. Marianne Ny stated this to Time already in December 2010. Several local news sites in Sweden picked it up, then shortly afterwards the articles were either redacted or removed. Carl Bildt told Jennifer Robinson the same thing this past summer: that it was illegal to question Julian Assange in London. Yet never was there an explanation of how this could be illegal.

'He told me it's not allowed. And when I pointed out that Sweden had only recently done just that in a murder investigation in Serbia, he had no reply.' - Jennifer Robinson on her encounter with Carl Bildt in Almedalen

http://rixstep.com/2/20120806,00.shtml

If you were in London's shoes, what would be your decision at this point. Curious minds would like to know.

I would let him stew in his own juices. That embassy is going to get awfully boring. He really has no idea what would happen if he faced the music in Sweden and he has no idea when Britain might revoke the diplomatic status of the embassy and arrest him. He will never have peace of mind.

You can run, but you can't hide. thumbsup.gif

If you were in London's shoes, what would be your decision at this point. Curious minds would like to know.

I would let him stew in his own juices. That embassy is going to get awfully boring. He really has no idea what would happen if he faced the music in Sweden and he has no idea when Britain might revoke the diplomatic status of the embassy and arrest him. He will never have peace of mind.

Now more a case of 'you can hide, but not run', wouldn't you say so?wink.png

• Like 1

That is what I like doing here too, if I was them. SO! We agree on something. Good.

This is certainly some very intriguing political news, very interesting story to follow here. Ecuador came off very level headed and thoughtful as far as I was concerned, and I admire them and the way they handled it all.

You ('Ulysses G) keep saying about Sweden, He applied for political asylum because of the U.S You may even start to think what you are saying is true if you keep telling yourself that over and over. Time to let go and accept the real reason why he applied and why he was granted political asylum.

Ecuador grants asylum to Julian Assange

Patino says Ecuador found that Assange faces a real threat of political persecution including the threat of extradition to the United States, where Patino said the Australian would not get a fair trial and could face the death penalty.

http://news.ninemsn....ssange-imminent

Edited by chooka

http://news.uk.msn.c...ange-asylum-row

Sweden says the decision is unacceptable

I'm sure with a concerted effort at further diplomatic negotiations all countries could reach a viable solution such as guaranteeing if he goes to Sweden he will not be sent to USA? What is so hard with that?ermm.gif

Yes it could have been resolved if the U.S had of said that they didn't want him. I am sure the question was put to the U,S by Ecuador and they probably said that they (the U.S) will seek his extradition or they failed to answer the question. Thus Ecuador were left with very little options on humanitarian grounds and granted the application.

I'm sure with a concerted effort at further diplomatic negotiations all countries could reach a viable solution such as guaranteeing if he goes to Sweden he will not be sent to USA? What is so hard with that?ermm.gif

Yes it could have been resolved if the U.S had of said that they didn't want him. I am sure the question was put to the U,S by Ecuador and they probably said that they (the U.S) will seek his extradition or they failed to answer the question. Thus Ecuador were left with very little options on humanitarian grounds and granted the application.

Now, if you were the US Embassy, how would you answer this possible question from the Ecuadorian Embassy?

"If Assange gets sent to Sweden do you intend to request his extradition to the US even though there are no charges that have been filed, there is no arrest warrant out for him and no extradition request has been filed?"

Of course there would be no answer from the US.

This is far from over.

Midas, you could have another 3-4 years of posts left just on Assange threads.wai.gif

I keep wondering why the British are so eager to process this warrant when it is only a warrant for enquiry when there is an actual arrest warrant for one of the Iceland bankers involved in $14 billion fraud and who is living in London and yet they refuse to process that?blink.png

Edited by midas

Now, if you were the US Embassy, how would you answer this possible question from the Ecuadorian Embassy?

"If Assange gets sent to Sweden do you intend to request his extradition to the US even though there are no charges that have been filed, there is no arrest warrant out for him and no extradition request has been filed?"

Of course there would be no answer from the US.

This is far from over.

Midas, you could have another 3-4 years of posts left just on Assange threads.wai.gif

Well if no charges warrants etc I would just say we have NO interest in him and we will not seek extradition. or I would refer them to the foreighn affairs depatment who would know exactly what the government wanted. I am sure I could come up with a positive yes or no answer in the 2 months it has taken Does that answer your question?

Edited by chooka

It is not up to Assange when he is questioned about the sex charges that he is accused of. It is up to the Swedish authorities.

It is not up to Assange when he is questioned about the sex charges that he is accused of. It is up to the Swedish authorities.

But he has been questioned about thr charges. Assange stayed in Sweden for several weeks after the accusations, and eventually the chief prosecutor said he was free to leave the country. He was not charged with anything. The case was closed. The case was then re opened by Marianne Ny, a 'celebrity' prosecutor, overruling other senior prosecutors. Ny was reported in the New York Times to have discussed the possibility of sending him to the United States. The whole thing stinks.

I don't understand what you guys have against Assange. Politicians lie to us all the time to justify the unjustifiable. Most of the journalists are just door mats and are only interested in keeping us distracted between an advertisement for ice creams and one for SUVs. A few guys have the guts to go the extra mile to keep us informed, we should support them.

Woodward and Berstein are considered heroes for having exposed the lies of president Nixon, what is the difference with Assange, except for the scale, Assange being one thousand time more efficient than Woodward and Berstein.

I personally applaud the courageous decision of Ecuador. We were expecting the USA to be the defender of our liberties, at the end we have to thanks Ecuador clap2.gif

Maybe Ecuador will come to your aid the next time there is a war in Europe.

What is pretty sure is that Ecuador won't start a war in Europe ...

Before Woodward and Berstein, there was also Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers. Ellsberg said that the existence of wikileaks helps to built a better government

I don't understand what you guys have against Assange. Politicians lie to us all the time to justify the unjustifiable. Most of the journalists are just door mats and are only interested in keeping us distracted between an advertisement for ice creams and one for SUVs. A few guys have the guts to go the extra mile to keep us informed, we should support them.

Woodward and Berstein are considered heroes for having exposed the lies of president Nixon, what is the difference with Assange, except for the scale, Assange being one thousand time more efficient than Woodward and Berstein.

I personally applaud the courageous decision of Ecuador. We were expecting the USA to be the defender of our liberties, at the end we have to thanks Ecuador clap2.gif

Entirely agree.

Well said.

I keep wondering why the British are so eager to process this warrant when it is only a warrant for enquiry when there is an actual arrest warrant for one of the Iceland bankers involved in $14 billion fraud and who is living in London and yet they refuse to process that?blink.png

Need to say more? WaterboyThe.jpg

I just read that tonight UK time the British MoFA William Hague has said that the British government will not allow Wikileaks Julian Assange to leave the country. There would be no legal base to allow such.

Personally I expect a long stand-off with diplomatic talks we'll only hear about if leaked or in 50 years time when documents have expired the need-to-know period.

Former Australian Diplomat Bruce Haigh says the British will be breaking down 300-years of convention and laws if they choose to storm the Ecuadorian embassy.

"It's extraordinary, and you can only assume the British are acting under huge pressure from the Americans. It just shows how much the Americans want to get their hands on Assange" Mr Haigh said.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/ecuador-grants-asylum-to-wikileaks-founder-julian-assange/20120817-24c3s.html