Are Thai People Just As Fat As Westerners Now?

WebBangkok

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some really fat kids here,

i think as a result of computer gaming, soda, and what else western culture brought

Yup let's blame McDonalds and KFC for ruining their lives along with the fact that the elder ones don't like to walk or exercise.

Obesity statistics. Here are the top ten countries for obesity. You note Thailand doesn't feature. In the statistics I saw, Thailand was not among the 28 countries listed.

Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif

# 1 us.gifUnited States: 30.6%

# 2 mx.gifMexico: 24.2%

# 3 uk.gifUnited Kingdom: 23%

# 4 lo.gifSlovakia: 22.4%

# 5 gr.gifGreece: 21.9%

# 6 as.gifAustralia: 21.7%

# 7 nz.gifNew Zealand: 20.9%

# 8 hu.gifHungary: 18.8%

# 9 lu.gifLuxembourg: 18.4%

# 10 ez.gifCzech Republic: 14.8%

Clearly the Tongans and Samoans have been left out!

Edited by isanbirder

Obesity statistics. Here are the top ten countries for obesity. You note Thailand doesn't feature. In the statistics I saw, Thailand was not among the 28 countries listed.

Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif

# 1 us.gifUnited States: 30.6%

# 2 mx.gifMexico: 24.2%

# 3 uk.gifUnited Kingdom: 23%

# 4 lo.gifSlovakia: 22.4%

# 5 gr.gifGreece: 21.9%

# 6 as.gifAustralia: 21.7%

# 7 nz.gifNew Zealand: 20.9%

# 8 hu.gifHungary: 18.8%

# 9 lu.gifLuxembourg: 18.4%

# 10 ez.gifCzech Republic: 14.8%

Clearly the Tongans and Samoans have been left out!

Oh yes another stat lover... It may not be as in the U.S or the U.K but it is growing but while in BKK the hi-so ones try their best to keep in shape the ones in the south seem to have given up on that project.

In general Thai people don't like to walk and the reason for that is beacuse it's too hot. rolleyes.gif

Lots of fatties here. But worse than that i find that there seems to be very few fit people here.

I'm what you might call a leg man and I do like a nice shapely pair of pins. Many of the slim ladies have a wobble to their calves that is from untoned and flabby legs. They just seem to have too little muscle in there. :-(

i think as a result of computer gaming, soda, and what else western culture brought

Yup let's blame McDonalds and KFC for ruining their lives along with the fact that the elder ones don't like to walk or exercise.

McDonalds and KFC (and starbucks) in Thailand have intentionally succeeded in creating a "cool place to hang out" image for the school kids. Thus hooking them in when they're young. They sell product with an addictive quality to it. Very similar to a drug dealer.

Today Thais aren't as fat as westeners but may very well be in near future generations.

When I see the status updates of my friends back in the US... it's consistantly..."just spent 2 hrs in the gym", "just ran 10 miles", "just signed up for a marathon". They're constantly working out...but from their pictures, they're fatter than I remember them. They workout in order to eat. Or workout to avoid obesity.

But in the west, the issue no longer stems from just McDs or KFC. Perhaps it's no longer cost or time effective to cook at home with fresh unprocessed ingredients? Perhaps there is no longer such thing as fresh unprocessed ingredients over there?

* just another thought...in the west, they are also accustomed to consuming a large amount of calories. Plates in restaurants are larger, thus stomachs are larger. Perhaps it is more profitable to serve larger plates?

Edited by mr3cho

McDonalds and KFC (and starbucks) in Thailand have intentionally succeeded in creating a "cool place to hang out" image for the school kids. Thus hooking them in when they're young. They sell product with an addictive quality to it. Very similar to a drug dealer.

Today Thais aren't as fat as westeners but may very well be in near future generations.

When I see the status updates of my friends back in the US... it's consistantly..."just spent 2 hrs in the gym", "just ran 10 miles", "just signed up for a marathon". They're constantly working out...but from their pictures, they're fatter than I remember them. They workout in order to eat. Or workout to avoid obesity.

But in the west, the issue no longer stems from just McDs or KFC. Perhaps it's no longer cost or time effective to cook at home with fresh unprocessed ingredients? Perhaps there is no longer such thing as fresh unprocessed ingredients over there?

Over there? So I take it you haven't been here...

Over there? So I take it you haven't been here...

Born and raised over there (the US). 30+ years.

No fit Thai's?

This girl is fit as hell

Beautiful-Thai-girls-11.jpg

Just what exactly are you doing with a photo of my wife? huh.png

Lucky man.

Still didn't explain how you got your hands on it...annoyed.gif

I used to know her when she was called Dave.

• Like 2

Some Thai people are getting fatter but I think it will be a long time before it reaches the stage it is in the U.K. at the moment. Not only McD's and KFC but all the processed foods that are available in the UK help make people fat unlike in our and our parents day when good wholesome home cooking and plenty of exercise and cross country runs were the norm.

Still a lot of slim Thai people out there and they are by far in the majority.

Obesity is going to be a huge problem for Thailand. With my students I've noticed a difference in the last 7 years. I'm a bit of a health nut and I try to educate them to the dangers of sugar. There attitude is may a roi. Food is so important to them. I told my mother in law with Type 2 Diabetes to stop eating white rice. She thought I was mad! Most Thais will head straight down the hospital for a diet pill.

• Like 2

Obesity is going to be a huge problem for Thailand. With my students I've noticed a difference in the last 7 years. I'm a bit of a health nut and I try to educate them to the dangers of sugar. There attitude is may a roi. Food is so important to them. I told my mother in law with Type 2 Diabetes to stop eating white rice. She thought I was mad! Most Thais will head straight down the hospital for a diet pill.

Yeah well, telling Asians to stop eating white rice is like telling Brits to stop drinking beer. lol

• Like 1

Heheheh. Unless you've been to the usa you don't know anything about obesity. I think half of Americans have bellies and asses that stick a yard in front of them(seriously, I'm not exaggerating here).rolleyes.gif

Edited by meatballs
  • Like 1

Lots of fatties here. But worse than that i find that there seems to be very few fit people here.

I am a 62-year-old and I climb 6 flights of stairs each day to get to classrooms where I teach. Conversely, the university-age students will wait for 30 minutes at the one-still-operating elevator so they don't have to climb even 2 or 3 floors. The rest who do take the stairs lag far behind me. If I meet my students on the stairs, who are going to my same class, none of them can keep up with me. It's not because I'm in such good shape, it's because they are in such bad shape! What they call strenuous exercise after class each day is playing badminton for 45 minutes with their boyfriend/girlfriend, not even working up a sweat. And this is the educated populace who should know the benefits of sweat-inducing, cardiovascular exercise!

• Like 1

I am a 62-year-old and I climb 6 flights of stairs each day to get to classrooms where I teach. Conversely, the university-age students will wait for 30 minutes at the one-still-operating elevator so they don't have to climb even 2 or 3 floors. The rest who do take the stairs lag far behind me. If I meet my students on the stairs, who are going to my same class, none of them can keep up with me. It's not because I'm in such good shape, it's because they are in such bad shape! What they call strenuous exercise after class each day is playing badminton for 45 minutes with their boyfriend/girlfriend, not even working up a sweat. And this is the educated populace who should know the benefits of sweat-inducing, cardiovascular exercise!

Badmington is a good workout, I exercise regulatory and played once for a bit of fun, after 30 mins my shirt was drenched in sweat.