Threatened By Thai At My Condo

beano2274

On the way home tonight, I did my usual look around my condo and spoke to the girl who sits in the office in my condo, and spoke to her about the illegal parking of more than one vehicle belonging to the same person, which I as an attendee at the EGM voted on, suddenly the guy came along and started shouting and slapped my hand twice as I was pointing out his cars, I stood there and did not hit him or anything, just let him shout, he kept speaking Thai, which luckily enough I do not understand, then he shouted <snip> you at me, at this time the office girl asked him to move away, he then went outside, I stood by an open window, he closed it just missing my hand. Then the next thing I know he is going to his car and he gets a baseball bat out and starts threatening me with it, his friends suddenly calm him down and he drives out of the condo and onto the main road, then away.

Just moved the car I use to a location where cameras are on it, but not my car, it is my MIL's.

Second run in with this guy, the first time was a small matter, for which I approached him and apologised in English which he did not understand so I said it in Thai, he then asked my missus why I said something bad to him she told him that I had said sorry and the meaning in Thai.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity removed.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a rule, that if you have one room you can only park one car at the condo, as we do not have that much space and people are parking in the main road at the moment, or blocking other cars in just to park under or near the condo building. This guy was at the meeting and voted for this rule.

Sounds like a prick with a chip on his shoulder. It will probably come to nothing, but be on your guard for a while, just in case. Try not to be coming back late on your own, drunk. And keep something heavy to hand.

• Like 2

It must be a harrowing experience for you.

Sorry but I couldn't help laughing about the part where you said he slapped your hands twice. I bet it wasn't that funny when it happened.

I hope there is a camera which recorded him with his baseball bat.

Edited by hands22

That sucks.

I suggest you make a police report and demand 40.000 compensation for the threat,

that girl was a witness

And to let it be efficient offer half of it for the girl and half to the policeman. Else both won't be interested.

It must be a harrowing experience for you.

Sorry but I couldn't help laughing about the part where you said he slapped your hands twice. I bet it wasn't that funny when it happened.

I hope there is a camera which recorded him with his baseball bat.

yes there are two cameras in that area

I don't think that money will be mentioned, but never knew I could ask for it

Its not you who asks for it, it's the police when they question him...and if you are lucky you get a portion smile.png same with traffic offences i.e. it happened when some drunk hit my car in Phuket.

Edited by fish fingers

Sorry for your experience. Good that you have a lot more patience than me.

As it seems you are not the aggressive type, which is a good thing, I really would suggest pushing this with the authorities as far as you can. His behaviour cannot be tolerated.

That sucks.

I suggest you make a police report and demand 40.000 compensation for the threat,

that girl was a witness

And to let it be efficient offer half of it for the girl and half to the policeman. Else both won't be interested.

Yes, it is custom to give police a tip/bribe, but only AFTER the compensation has been paid

Also expect the final penalty to be cut in half on suggestion by police, i.e 20.000</p>

Edited by poanoi

My wife was told that the guys family want to speak to her, they chatted downstairs and at the end of the whole thing it was decided that the whole matter will be forgotten as it was a lack of understanding, the guys wife has suggested that we meet tomorrow when everyone has calmed down and he will apologise to me, and we will shake hands.

I really do not want to involve the Police as it brings hate and resentment into the equation.

• Like 2

We all bend over backwards to blend in here, l do for sure, but a line has to be drawn or weakness will be recognized by any human or animal. If anyone touched me l would retaliate and expect the consequence. Tell the guy to F........ off and have the correct look in your eye. thumbsup.gif

I certainly don't bend over to blend in here.

I know a guy who did the exact same thing as you suggest - the guy pulled out a machete and nearly killed him.

am waiting for the usual, Learn Thai thing.....

My wife has decided that she will come home early from work and that she will inform the police and take the office girl with her as a witness.

Let's see - he is Thai and it's in Thailand , yet you seem surprised he kept talking in Thai?

Do you have any reason for not learning Thai?

It's situations such as this that not learning the language has huge disadvantages.

If I was in my home country and some foreigner, who didn't speak English lived in the same apartment block tried to enforce the rules like this without approaching me , I'd feel the same way as this Thai guy did.

I did not say or suggest that I was surprised that he spoke Thai, please show me where I suggested it. I did not enforce the rules I just made the staff aware, as security are shit, and they need people to show them what to do, and the main guy here is happy for me to make him aware.

The guys wife has apologised about the cars being here, and one of them will be removed, to a safe area near here.

Edited by beano2274

My wife was told that the guys family want to speak to her, they chatted downstairs and at the end of the whole thing it was decided that the whole matter will be forgotten as it was a lack of understanding, the guys wife has suggested that we meet tomorrow when everyone has calmed down and he will apologise to me, and we will shake hands.

I really do not want to involve the Police as it brings hate and resentment into the equation.

Shake not Slap.cheesy.gif

Good Luck Beano.

Sounds like you wound the guy up a bit too much, id probably be angry like him too (but i wouldnt have lost it like he did).

You obviously had a run in with him before, and if you felt like you needed to apologise i guess you must have been in the wrong.

And then to 'grass' the guy up for parking at his own condo there is no wonder he flipped.

What happened to being a friendly neighbour....

Just my opinion

• Like 1

There are rules at my condo too.

No Dogs - Loads of people have dogs

No alcohol in the outside areas - There are always people drinking beer/whiskey

No smoking in the outside areas - Smokers always

I dont go grassing people up everytime i see someone breaking the rules and neither does anyone else for the matter, if you did you would become extremely unpopular very quickly

• Like 2

On the way home tonight, I did my usual look around my condo and spoke to the girl who sits in the office in my condo, and spoke to her about the illegal parking of more than one vehicle belonging to the same person, which I as an attendee at the EGM voted on, suddenly the guy came along and started shouting and slapped my hand twice as I was pointing out his cars, I stood there and did not hit him or anything, just let him shout, he kept speaking Thai, which luckily enough I do not understand, then he shouted you at me, at this time the office girl asked him to move away, he then went outside, I stood by an open window, he closed it just missing my hand. Then the next thing I know he is going to his car and he gets a baseball bat out and starts threatening me with it, his friends suddenly calm him down and he drives out of the condo and onto the main road, then away.

Just moved the car I use to a location where cameras are on it, but not my car, it is my MIL's.

Second run in with this guy, the first time was a small matter, for which I approached him and apologised in English which he did not understand so I said it in Thai, he then asked my missus why I said something bad to him she told him that I had said sorry and the meaning in Thai.

Was there a space for your car? Unless he occupied your park space, why bother? Let someone deprived of parking space deal with it unless you are a monitor or a watchman appointed.

There are rules at my condo too.

No Dogs - Loads of people have dogs

No alcohol in the outside areas - There are always people drinking beer/whiskey

No smoking in the outside areas - Smokers always

I dont go grassing people up everytime i see someone breaking the rules and neither does anyone else for the matter, if you did you would become extremely unpopular very quickly

Sorry but I live by the rules of the country I am in, this is my little world here at my condo, and we all voted for the rules so everyone, including myself has to stick with them. For the parking offence it is 500 baht, and this money goes into a pool to pay for renovations to the outside of the condo and other amenities.

And it is not only his condo, I live there too and so do the people who have to leave their cars on the main road as some people want more parking spaces than allowed.

Edited by beano2274