Protest Against Tesco Lotus In Phuket Town

webfact

Protest against Tesco Lotus in Phuket Town

Phuket Gazette

lo.jpeg

More than 500 people took part in the protest in front of Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

lo1.jpeg

Local traders say no to a large-scale Tesco Lotus opening in Phuket Town. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- More than 500 local traders, business owners and residents marched on Provincial Hall yesterday to petition the Governor to stop construction of a new Tesco Lotus outlet planned for Phuket Town.

After assembling at Rama X Park (Suan Luang), the protesters marched through the streets carrying signs with slogans reading “Tesco ruins our life in Phuket Town”, “We don’t want Tesco”, among others.

The march ended at Phuket Provincial Hall, where protest leader Prasart Boontuntraphiwat presented an official letter of complaint to Governor Tri Augkaradacha.

In accepting the complaint, Gov Tri told the protesters he always did his best for the people of Phuket.

He added, however, that he would have to forward the letter of complaint to Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana, whose administration has authority over development issues inside city limits.

Tesco Lotus has already acquired 23 rai of land for the project, but has yet to complete its Environmental Impact Assessment that must be filed with building permit application.

The protesters told the Phuket Gazette they wanted to take their protest to the streets before the EIA is approved.

The Gazette understands that the final project would be similar in size and scale to the Tesco Thalang mall in the north of the island.

The protesters said they had the support of market vendors at two Phuket City Municipal Markets as well as 18 local communities spread across the city.

“We found out that Tesco Lotus will be building a branch on Bangkok Road. It will directly affect all of us,” said Teeraphong Aiumanan-jaroen, representing the vendors at the Municipal Market on Ranong Road.

“Stall vendors and many of the smaller stores won’t be able to compete, as people will buy stuff from the bigger store. It will be a domino effect; one-by-one we will all go out of business,” he said.

“I am also concerned that the lifestyle of the Phuket Town community will be changed. The culture and traditions of Phuket people won’t be the same,” Mr Teeraphong said.

Mr Teerapong also believes that the outlet would increase traffic congestion in the area.

“If a Tesco Lotus store is opened, the environment in the area will also be ruined,” he said.

“As the representative of Phuket People Protest Against Tesco Lotus Network, I would like to oppose the plan for Tesco Lotus to open a branch in Phuket Town,” he said.

The phenomenal growth of Tesco Lotus in recent years has spawned other protests in the past, especially opposition to smaller retail outlets in Wichit and Cherng Talay.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16691.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-18

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just imagine tesco giving free jet ski rides with every 1,000bht spent,now that would definately stir things up.this is happening all over the world i am afraid those good people of phuket are goner need one big brown envelope.wai.gif

It's not the Tesco Lotus outlets that are solely killing the traditional 'Mom and Pop' stores, it's the 24 hour small shops such as Fresh Mart (CP owned) and particularly Supercheap (who also sell fresh vegetables) that have mushroomed over every block during the last year or two.

I think that 7/11 have also upped their game because of the increased competition also, all of which is great for the consumer.

• Like 1

So why aren't they protesting about scams, drunks, prostitutes, road accidents, murders, etc? Oh no, let's stop a shop opening.

In any case, let the people of the town have freedom of choice. If they don't want Tesco, then don't shop there and it will soon close down. But obviously, 99% of the people want it. They probably shipped these protesters over from the UK. There's nothing like a shop opening to send them into a rage.

If you're in the UK and you ask for directions to someplace you'll likely get our answer along the lines of, "turn left at the Tesco, go striaght for two hundred yards then turn right at the Tesco, over the bridge past the Tesco and the building you want is on the left, next to the Tesco", I'd prefer Thailand doesn't turn out the same way although 7/11's made a good start.

• Like 1

The very same people that turn up for these protests will be seen on opening day and regularly thereafter dragging trolleys full of single items (Bog Roll in one, Drinking water in another) to their pickup trucks to sell to unsuspecting tourists at rip off prices via their mom & pop shops.

• Like 2

Good thing the jet ski people are not running it. Imagine how much they can extort over a shopping trolley. You made it not run straight...50000baht please or we call police.

Edited by harrry

good, theres a reason the market and stalls will go out of business. Even thais do not want to use them.

I hate all of t hem, they dont even grow it themselves they just buy it from supercheap and markup the prices. The one next to me sells 4 potatoes to thais for 80b.. tesco from 10-25baht

• Like 2

I dislike shopping at Tesco as I would rather give my money to the small business man but - after being ripped off one too many times at the local market (for veg - not meat), gave up the market and started using Tesco. Who wants to spend their time working out whether the price they are charged for their purchase (the price is rarely displayed in the market) is reasonable or not sad.png .

Fortunately, I still know one mom and pop store whose prices (for the things they sell) are comparable to Tesco (and the prices are marked so I know what I'm paying). I use that mom and pop store for those items.

Edit - Have to add that I dislike the meat section at the Tesco I use (Chalong/Rawai). Admittedly there are no flies on the meat, but it generally smells horrible sick.gif! Plus, its clearly not 'fresh', but frozen and then defrosted in the racks.

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 2

Hmmm....I also just had a good look at the second photo at the start of the thread....

Rather interesting how many thai flags the mob is carrying...

TESCO is no doubt viewed as a farang....

FARANG GO HOME YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE...??

Why don't you take your 'oh I'm a foreigner but have to live here amongst the Thai who really don't like us' sentiment elsewhere?

They usually have a limit on marked down items.. but yeah sometimes th ey dont and thais go nuts. A few months ago at Tesco there was a guy who brought a full on delivery truck to the front door and loaded it with all the coke 2 litter bottles that tesco had. must of been a couple thousands of them. All that for saving 2b/bottle

If you're in the UK and you ask for directions to someplace you'll likely get our answer along the lines of, "turn left at the Tesco, go striaght for two hundred yards then turn right at the Tesco, over the bridge past the Tesco and the building you want is on the left, next to the Tesco", I'd prefer Thailand doesn't turn out the same way although 7/11's made a good start.

What a stupid post. Tesco is a supermarket not a convenience store so certainly not on every street corner as being implied.

I would have thought its 7/11. Family mart etc that are impacting mom and pop stores. At least Tesco provide a wholesale section were the same mom and pop store owners buy stuff.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

What a stupid post. Tesco is a supermarket not a convenience store so certainly not on every street corner as being implied.

I would have thought its 7/11. Family mart etc that are impacting mom and pop stores. At least Tesco provide a wholesale section were the same mom and pop store owners buy stuff.

I guess you haven't seen the small Tesco Lotus convenience shops then? There are a couple in my area, along with a small Tops Market.

It's OK if you don't understand the concept of monopolies and their impact on the high street and the freedom of choice for consumers and the lack of competitve pricing and, and so on. In my eyes the biggest undesirable knock on effect from the Tesco(isaztion) of the UK is the negative impact on culture and I can certainly see that happening here also.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, Tesco Express stores are springing up everywhere (I suspect they will soon rival 7/11s) and, they are looking to become something close to a monopoly.

My local mom and pop store sells some items more cheaply than Tesco!

If Tesco are already making way too much profit on some items, how bad will it get once they have put all the mom and pop stores/7-11s out of business?

I'm not claiming to know the 'answer', as I appreciate using them for veg and the variety of things they sell - but I would hate to see all the little shops (charging reasonable prices) go out of business - which is why I support the one I like for those things they sell that I use.

As others have pointed out, Tesco Express stores are springing up everywhere (I suspect they will soon rival 7/11s) and, they are looking to become something close to a monopoly.

If Tesco are already making way too much profit on some items, how bad will it get once they have put all the mom and pop stores/7-11s out of business?

I'm not claiming to know the 'answer', as I appreciate using them for veg and the variety of things they sell - but I would hate to see all the little shops (charging reasonable prices) go out of business - which is why I support the one I like for those things they sell that I use.

tesco lotus express store's are all franchises

OK - so they're like 7/11s?

But how does this excuse 'proper' Tesco stores charging more for some items than the local mom and pop store?

The Tesco Expresses are expensive and I have no reason to use them, but can you imagine how prices will increase if Tesco (proper) force all the mom and pop stores out of business?

I'm not excusing those smaller shops that charge too much - but concerned about those that charge reasonable prices.

I guess you haven't seen the small Tesco Lotus convenience shops then? There are a couple in my area, along with a small Tops Market.

TOPS are in the Uk now!!! Wow

It's OK if you don't understand the concept of monopolies and their impact on the high street and the freedom of choice for consumers and the lack of competitve pricing and, and so on. In my eyes the biggest undesirable knock on effect from the Tesco(isaztion) of the UK is the negative impact on culture and I can certainly see that happening here also.

So are you telling me there are NO other supermarkets doing well in the UK. Its shoppers that want the convenience. There has been a demise in ALL small / one man band shops in the UK. Its the shoppers that are dictating whats going on.

Really! Are you sure?

So are you telling me there are NO other supermarkets doing well in the UK. Its shoppers that want the convenience. There has been a demise in ALL small / one man band shops in the UK. Its the shoppers that are dictating whats going on.

The term "Tescoisation" is meant to cover all the big four or five UK supermarkets of course.

Shoppers who used to have a choice of two or three individual shops for a particular item in a small town now have a single choice and most people don't like that. It is not the shoppers who are dictating what's going on, it's the large scale supermarkets who open a mega store a week, often in inappropriate locations and always at the cost of the small mom and pop baker, butcher, greengrocer and the like, family businesses that built their trade over generations and were an intregal part of the social support scene in small towns, villages and communities. Just how you think todays shopper can actually want to be dominated by the big four/five escapes me, those that do not simply get pushed aside as a part of corporate "progress". But there again, I suspect there's a small and lazy percentage of the population who has never experienced the traditional high street hence they might now know better, as long as those shoppers can get everything in one place, get their clubcard points and get home again having expended the minimum of energy they will no doubt be very pleased, ignorance breeds ignorance springs to mind, hardly typical of the population overall I suggest.