Protest Against Tesco Lotus In Phuket Town

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket is undergoing a transition from a cheap tourist destination to a "world class" tourist attraction, (according to the Phuket Gazette). A transition like this means increase in rental prices, construction without end until there are high-rises and condos everywhere, poor people kicked out and sent packing to more remote areas, trendy little shops replacing cheap stores, more prostitution more drugs, more wonderful discos springing up....more wealthy people, more happy smiling Thai people smiling and smiling

• Like 1

If you're in the UK and you ask for directions to someplace you'll likely get our answer along the lines of, "turn left at the Tesco, go striaght for two hundred yards then turn right at the Tesco, over the bridge past the Tesco and the building you want is on the left, next to the Tesco", I'd prefer Thailand doesn't turn out the same way although 7/11's made a good start.

What a stupid post. Tesco is a supermarket not a convenience store so certainly not on every street corner as being implied.

I would have thought its 7/11. Family mart etc that are impacting mom and pop stores. At least Tesco provide a wholesale section were the same mom and pop store owners buy stuff.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I guess you haven't seen the small Tesco Lotus convenience shops then? There are a couple in my area, along with a small Tops Market.

TOPS are in the Uk now!!! Wow

<deleted>? Who cares about the UK?

If you're in the UK and you ask for directions to someplace you'll likely get our answer along the lines of, "turn left at the Tesco, go striaght for two hundred yards then turn right at the Tesco, over the bridge past the Tesco and the building you want is on the left, next to the Tesco", I'd prefer Thailand doesn't turn out the same way although 7/11's made a good start.

On every 700 Thai there is one 7-11

And my bet is on the protest being organised by 7-11 & CP

I love that the Chang Mai peanut gallery has chimed in with their 25 Satang. What does your opinion have to do with a very old district in Phuket Town? Have you ever even been there?

Nobody seems o remember that there is a Thai law to protect local businesses. This Law says, that all new international managed supermarkets have to be at least 15km away from the city centre.

Does nobody remember here at Thaivisa? And who is making money on the new one? Or is the New Tesco more than 15 Km away from the city centre?

• Like 1

I love that the Chang Mai peanut gallery has chimed in with their 25 Satang. What does your opinion have to do with a very old district in Phuket Town? Have you ever even been there?

I lived there for five years and just returned to Chiang Mai last year, but even if I hadn't lived there, my opinion remains as valid as anyone else's on this point. Oh I see, a 22.45 post on a Saturday night, got it.

<deleted>? Who cares about the UK?

Many of us do because if you want to see how Tesco is likely to perform in a new territory, you could do no better than to see what its strategy has been in its home country where it is prolific.

Phuket is undergoing a transition from a cheap tourist destination to a "world class" tourist attraction, (according to the Phuket Gazette). A transition like this means increase in rental prices, construction without end until there are high-rises and condos everywhere, poor people kicked out and sent packing to more remote areas, trendy little shops replacing cheap stores, more prostitution more drugs, more wonderful discos springing up....more wealthy people, more happy smiling Thai people smiling and smiling

Firstly, Phuket is not cheap as in inexpensive yet it is actually quite cheap in other ways, to suggest it is going up market is however a bit too much. I think it was twenty years ago that National Geographic very publically stated that Phuket was starting to look at risk from its idyllic island status, too much new construction and no sensible devlopment plan,.twenty years on and infrastructure development has not kept pace with growth and new construction blots the landscape and views - crime levels continue to rise and now the local police talk in terms of "tourist safe zones"! Sorry, Phuket can be a great place to live, if you know where to go to get value and to escape the tourism machine etc, very few people do however.

• Like 1

On the street where I live in Phuket Town, there is a small Supercheap, small Tesco, and a 7-11. I buy most of the stuff I need from the small Supercheap. For what isn't there, I go across to the small Tesco. And sometimes I buy some other small things at 7-11.

There are no mom-and-pop stores and the local markets and large BigC/Tesco outlets are a bit far off so I don't go there much anyway.

Perhaps because Tesco and the like have so much capital to start with, they can buy everything in bulk for lower prices and therefore sell cheaper. Smaller local shops can't do that and they naturally can't sell as cheaply. I don't think it's because they want to rip people off.

If the local shops and markets go out of business because people prefer shopping at Tesco, then I guess the local businesses need to change what they deal in.

I lived there for five years and just returned to Chiang Mai last year, but even if I hadn't lived there, my opinion remains as valid as anyone else's on this point. Oh I see, a 22.45 post on a Saturday night, got it.

You lived in the old part of Phuket Town? I remember you lived somewhere on Phuket. But do you really think CP organized this protest? I think not.

So why aren't they protesting about scams, drunks, prostitutes, road accidents, murders, etc? Oh no, let's stop a shop opening.

In any case, let the people of the town have freedom of choice. If they don't want Tesco, then don't shop there and it will soon close down. But obviously, 99% of the people want it. They probably shipped these protesters over from the UK. There's nothing like a shop opening to send them into a rage.

You're a fool, If I were Thai I would have been protesting Tesco over 20 years ago. These huge capitalist corporations come in with competitition and completely disturb the buddhist way of life. They operate like the Mafia killing millions of people world wide as well...

And yet, no 'world class' public transport system ... sigh ...

ps the Tesco branch bottom of Sai Yuan is a bloody embarrassment.

Edited by silsburyhill

You lived in the old part of Phuket Town? I remember you lived somewhere on Phuket. But do you really think CP organized this protest? I think not.

I didn't say that CP organised the protest, poster hansnl did. And what does it matter where I lived on Phuket, do you think that only residents of a certain part of the island have a right to express an opinion on this subject <deleted>, you need to get your posting act together.

So why aren't they protesting about scams, drunks, prostitutes, road accidents, murders, etc? Oh no, let's stop a shop opening.

In any case, let the people of the town have freedom of choice. If they don't want Tesco, then don't shop there and it will soon close down. But obviously, 99% of the people want it. They probably shipped these protesters over from the UK. There's nothing like a shop opening to send them into a rage.

You're a fool, If I were Thai I would have been protesting Tesco over 20 years ago. These huge capitalist corporations come in with competitition and completely disturb the buddhist way of life. They operate like the Mafia killing millions of people world wide as well...

Tesco kill millions world wide. . How? From obesity? Jeezesus. Who let the mental patients access to the net....

Also Tesco lotus were not even in Thailand 20 years ago. They started in 1998. As a joint venture with CP until 2003. So maybe some truth in the CP allegations :D

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

I didn't say that CP organised the protest, poster hansnl did. And what does it matter where I lived on Phuket, do you think that only residents of a certain part of the island have a right to express an opinion on this subject <deleted>, you need to get your posting act together.

Possibly. Or maybe it's the way that you write english has me somewhat confused as to what you are actually trying to say. I didn't ask where you lived in Phuket did I? Maybe I should have asked are you familiar with that part of town? I just don't see how a large Tesco fits in... And I think the people in the area who are directly affected aren't happy about it and want to protest it way before it's been approved.

Edited by Jimi007

Possibly. Or maybe it's the way that you write english has me somewhat confused as to what you are actually trying to say. I didn't ask where you lived in Phuket did I? Maybe I should have asked are you familiar with that part of town? I just don't see how a large Tesco fits in... And I think the people in the area who are directly affected aren't happy about it and want to protest it way before it's been approved.

There's nothing difficult or confusing about what I've written in repsonse to your snide remarks, we lived in Phuket for five years thus most normal people might sensibly presume that we know Phuket Town reasoably well as a result, the island after all is quite small and Phuket Town is where farangs must go in order to visit government offices such as Immigration, DVLC and the like. If you want to bother checking my previous posts you'll note that I've previously written posts regarding the architecture in the Old Town and the availability of small specialty shops there. I'm also a Brit who has first hand experience of Tesco's commercial "ramping up" process on their home ground, therefore, all those factors combine to suggest strongly to me at least that any further depolyment of Tesco stores into the community in Phuket is not in the best interests of the local community or culture.

BOYCOTT TESCO!

Why boycott the only national supermarket in Thailand that thinks to bring in more foreign food stuffs. That's just dumb rolleyes.gif

All the great hormone steroid injected food stuffs is so smart its made from GM which stands for "GARBAGE MATERIAL".........

Too many westerners in Thailand ONLY supporting WESTERN business.....

BOYCOTT TESCO!

Why boycott the only national supermarket in Thailand that thinks to bring in more foreign food stuffs. That's just dumb rolleyes.gif

All the great hormone steroid injected food stuffs is so smart its made from GM which stands for "GARBAGE MATERIAL".........

Too many westerners in Thailand ONLY supporting WESTERN business.....

Mr jc. I buy my food in food shops. Markets and Lotus. But funny enough out of the 3 only Lotus has foreign food. So I buy it.

I take it YOU only buy direct from the farm. If so when your there double check what crap they have being spraying on the crops. Pesticides. Chemical fertilizer its every where.

Only way is grow your own.

Ps. Where are you from?

Yes folks, this place is looking more and more like New Jersey USA.

And most of you are glad of that fact.

I don't really understand why you just don't move to jersey and get it over with.

OK, it's not quite as hot, especially in January, but it has it's beaches, fast food shops galore, jug-handle traffic patterns, concrete most of the state now, huge shopping malls, cops who pull you over for any small infraction, and most ALL mom and pop type businesses are now finally gone.

I came to Phuket (OK partly for the weather and beaches) because it was different.

It was green. I liked getting waited on with a smile. Of course I liked the skinny women too.

But it's changing and it's changing fast.

My family and I love to go off the island for our time off and just came back from a 5 day/night road trip to Ranong and back.

Guess what? We didn't shop in one 7/11 or Tesco.

We still got waited on with smiles almost everywhere we went and stayed.

We got real Thai food, cooked by real Thais with food that they bought at the local market. (where we still tend to buy ALL of our food)

These people who are protesting have a lot more sense in keeping their culture alive than many of the posters on here.

I don't think it's about money in this case.

It's more about how they see the change happening in front of their eyes and they don't like it.

I can't blame them a bit and wish them luck in their quest.

Of course it's a losing battle and money will win out in the end.

But, at least they'll be able to say they fought against the change.

"they paved over paradise and put up a parking lot"

Yes folks, this place is looking more and more like New Jersey USA.

And most of you are glad of that fact.

I don't really understand why you just don't move to jersey and get it over with.

OK, it's not quite as hot, especially in January, but it has it's beaches, fast food shops galore, jug-handle traffic patterns, concrete most of the state now, huge shopping malls, cops who pull you over for any small infraction, and most ALL mom and pop type businesses are now finally gone.

I came to Phuket (OK partly for the weather and beaches) because it was different.

It was green. I liked getting waited on with a smile. Of course I liked the skinny women too.

But it's changing and it's changing fast.

My family and I love to go off the island for our time off and just came back from a 5 day/night road trip to Ranong and back.

Guess what? We didn't shop in one 7/11 or Tesco.

We still got waited on with smiles almost everywhere we went and stayed.

We got real Thai food, cooked by real Thais with food that they bought at the local market. (where we still tend to buy ALL of our food)

These people who are protesting have a lot more sense in keeping their culture alive than many of the posters on here.

I don't think it's about money in this case.

It's more about how they see the change happening in front of their eyes and they don't like it.

I can't blame them a bit and wish them luck in their quest.

Of course it's a losing battle and money will win out in the end.

But, at least they'll be able to say they fought against the change.

"they paved over paradise and put up a parking lot"

So there are no supermarkets in Ranong?

markets will always be there. Mom and pop stores also. The threat to mom and pop stores is convenience stores NOT supermarkets. You could not do your weekly shopping in a mom and pop store same as you can't at 7/11.

I also wonder if there would be demonstrations if it was Big C rather than Tesco. For some reason Thais think Big C is a thai company.

Edited by thaicbr

I didn't see any supermarkets in Ranong, so I guess my answer is no.

We saw a big (local farmers) market in town and enjoyed the free hot springs, small downtown streets with small bars playing live music.

No, it was much different than Phuket.

Hey. I'm not saying I want to live there, but I enjoyed being in what I call "The Real Thailand" with it's smiles and small shops.

Like I said, it's all gonna change. IMO for the worse.

I'm not going to fight it, or demonstrate against it. (I am a guest in their country)

But I am applauding these local people for doing just that.