Protest Against Tesco Lotus In Phuket Town

webfact

I didn't see any supermarkets in Ranong, so I guess my answer is no.

We saw a big (local farmers) market in town and enjoyed the free hot springs, small downtown streets with small bars playing live music.

No, it was much different than Phuket.

Hey. I'm not saying I want to live there, but I enjoyed being in what I call "The Real Thailand" with it's smiles and small shops.

Like I said, it's all gonna change. IMO for the worse.

I'm not going to fight it, or demonstrate against it. (I am a guest in their country)

But I am applauding these local people for doing just that.

That's kinda what I'm getting at 'the real Thailand ' as you put it. Phuket is a main tourist destination therefore it should cater for tourists. There is a lot of Thailand left.

Oh and there is a Lotus on phetkasem rd Ranong :D

Your a guest!! I take it you dont work here then. Just a long term holiday maker living in a hotel?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is Thais (mostly) love Tesco's Big C, Macro etc, have you ever seen one empty ?

Local stores/businesses do suffer and IMHO Tesco's are just one of the ways they are getting pressured.Next will be the All Inclusive resorts that keep the Tourists in one place,almost captive with restaurants entertainments etc.

Will I boycott Tescos etc ? Nope they provide what I want, when I want with out the BS.

I do sympathize with the store owners who have protested about this. I would buy at a local store (as well) if I could find one on the street I live on, but unfortunately there are none for quite some distance.

On the other hand, lots of Thais do shop at Tesco, BigC, and Supercheap too because of the big discounts on certain products. Do the majority of Thai consumers sympathize with the small local stores? I don't know.

I really don't mind if all the foreign supermarkets close down, I've lived in places where there are rarely any 7-11s or mini/supermarkets around. But if they are nearby, and they provide good discounts on some products or have some items which I can't find elsewhere, I don't mind patronizing them.