Thailand (And Other Asian Country) Stock Tips/Trades

After my great trades and profit of the last 2 weeks on the SET (outlined in another thread 'i jumped back into equities'), i feel inspired to start a new Thailand stocks thread - discussion as been almost non-existent on thaivsia on stocks given the horrible market over the last few months but now the global stock markets are picking up - at least temporarily- and buying opportunities are emerging. So anyone else want to swap their buys/sells, tips very much welcome!

On Monday (aug 20) ill be monitoring DCC and PATO both very oversold and solid growth stocks with a view to buy. Pato looks very interesting because it also has 9% dividend payment so its sure to pick up later in year as we near its dividend XD date even if it doesn't pick up in next 1-3 weeks due to its high oversold level- win win??

Hang Seng/Hong Kong ill be monitoring two oversold solid growth stocks 538:HK and 375:HK tomorrow morning with a view to buy.

Ill also be selling HMPRO that i bought 10 days ago to take a 4% profit - i bought when it was very oversold but now technical analysis is showing is mid way between over sold/over bought , MACD indicates a drop - but i think 4% is good enough so ill take my profits..

• Like 1

You know what they say about "free investment advise"? Its worth the price.

I personally am quite wary of stocks that are boasted in forums, more often than not they are classic pump and dump scams. For those out there that dont know what that means, you hype a stock getting others to jump in and then sell before the crowd realizes its been had.

Advise to novice investors, use ETFs (exchange traded funds). As they say; if you cant beat-em, join-em

Your auntbob. You are wrong on this.

In Thailand the free Investment advice is better than the paid variety- the problem with paid investment advice in thailand is that the advisor is getting a commission to sell you a product, doesn't matter to him whether it's a good investment or not.

Your auntbob. You are wrong on this.

In Thailand the free Investment advice is better than the paid variety- the problem with paid investment advice in thailand is that the advisor is getting a commission to sell you a product, doesn't matter to him whether it's a good investment or not.

In the United States they normally work on a commission basis as well and do the same thing. This is where the term "churning" came from.

The Thai financial system in Thailand is based off of the American system. USA has Federal Reserve/ Thailand BOT; USA NYSE,NASDAQ etc/Thailand SET. Thailand also is building its credit rating agencies and other institutions loosely based on the American system as well. The big difference is that Thailand is still in the development stage, is more corrupt, and has weaker enforcement. err... Same same but different.

Many financial planners back in the states have recently been turning to WRAP accounts which charge a percentage of assets to keep the adviser's incentive and their fiduciary duty on a more parallel path but many companies require large balances before they will allow such accounts.

The WRAP system makes a lot of sense. Do you know of any Advisors covering Asia that follow this system ?

Nb. I don't think anyone would post stocks on thaivisa in order to pump them up given the core demographic here. Lol

"Ill also be selling HMPRO that i bought 10 days ago to take a 4% profit - i bought when it was very oversold but now technical analysis is showing is mid way between over sold/over bought , MACD indicates a drop - but i think 4% is good enough so ill take my profits.. "

Why bother for 4%? I don't understand that. Seems like a waste of time to me. After commissions and taxes... Why not pick good companies and hold them? I've held most of my shares for more than 20 years now and most are up in value 250-400% from where I bought them; not to mention 20+ years of solid dividends.

"Ill also be selling HMPRO that i bought 10 days ago to take a 4% profit - i bought when it was very oversold but now technical analysis is showing is mid way between over sold/over bought , MACD indicates a drop - but i think 4% is good enough so ill take my profits.. "

Why bother for 4%? I don't understand that. Seems like a waste of time to me. After commissions and taxes... Why not pick good companies and hold them? I've held most of my shares for more than 20 years now and most are up in value 250-400% from where I bought them; not to mention 20+ years of solid dividends.

Hmmm, I think if i offered a fund that gave people 4% return in 10 days, there wouldn't be a single buy and hold investor globally once they heard about it biggrin.png

The 4% return in 10 days is after tax/fee (bear in mind savings accounts currently only paying 3-5% per YEAR!). My other trades during that same period varied from +8% to +16% profit, again in less than 10 days- though it was a bullish global market 2 week period.

You got lucky by beginning your stock investments in the 80s/90s- the boom time for stocks- the market we see ourselves in now (and likely for the forseeable future) is marked by volatility and much much lower returns- buy and holding now is a dangerous game as witnessed by those people who lost a hefty percentage of their stock/life savings on the year they wanted to retire in 2008/9 after holding them for many years- these people had to postpone retirement.

Having said that, buying and holding is OK for a smaller portion of ones portfolio, especially if in blue chip dividend stocks.

whenever i tell my wife about performance in percentages she yawns and claims wherever she shops percentages are not accepted. everybody wants money or a plastic card. is that correct or is she just bs-ing me? ermm.gif

whenever i tell my wife about performance in percentages she yawns and claims wherever she shops percentages are not accepted. everybody wants money or a plastic card. is that correct or is she just bs-ing me? ermm.gif

lol- wrong if those percentages are converted into cash money, which is what i am talking about biggrin.png

The WRAP system makes a lot of sense. Do you know of any Advisors covering Asia that follow this system ?

Nb. I don't think anyone would post stocks on thaivisa in order to pump them up given the core demographic here. Lol

I am not aware of this type of account in Thailand, but then again i never really looked for one.

I also dont foresee pump and dump being a problem here either, but i am ever the skeptic.

I am not aware of this type of account in Thailand, but then again i never really looked for one.

I also dont foresee pump and dump being a problem here either, but i am ever the skeptic.

There is a core group of posters who have been posting here for last 2-3 years +, with a history of (i think mostly) good advice on financial issues- if someone turned up hyping a stock here they would soon be busted if the stock was a dud 'pump/dump' type.

Edited by ExpatJ

There is a core group of posters who have been posting here for last 2-3 years +, with a history of (i think mostly) good advice on financial issues- if someone turned up hyping a stock here they would soon be busted if the stock was a dud 'pump/dump' type.

I am a believer in filters and 6 months ago came up with 5 shares that looked attractive on the set after putting them through 5 filters. All have done pretty well which says to me that filters should work with the Thai market and perhaps let you outperform the market as a whole.