Promising New Indian Restaurant In On 2Nd Road: Banana Leaf

Jingthing

One night. Wednesdays. Starts at 6 P.M. It does not last long and there may be issues with replenishment. Suggest showing at 6 P.M. for the best possible experience.

I was there the other week until after 8pm. Everything was replenished correctly. Everything was still in place when I left. No harm in arriving at 6pm though, of course.

What I found really disappointing was the large number of people who completely ignored the curry buffet in favour of sausage and chips and other similarly boring dishes they could get any time, any day, any where. Sausage and chips probably cost as much as the buffet too. Sad.

@Jingthing...

Have you tried the Indian 50M before Saras, on the way out to Jomtien, same side of the road? (hint: has a big diamond on the signage, tables outside & a fishtank in the window).

I wondered how you'd rate the Thali set at this place vs. Banana Leaf ?

@Jingthing...

Have you tried the Indian 50M before Saras, on the way out to Jomtien, same side of the road? (hint: has a big diamond on the signage, tables outside & a fishtank in the window).

I wondered how you'd rate the Thali set at this place vs. Banana Leaf ?

Yes, I think you mean Kohinoor, has been around forever. Used to go there sometimes for their buffet which wasn't great, but cheap. Now they don't have a buffet. I tried a thali there once and won't be back. I much prefer Palm Leaf.

For thalis in the same general area as Kohinoor, other side of street is Indian Touch 1. I've enjoyed the veg thalis there and budget priced. Saras also has thalis but I think I prefer their South Indian / dosa menu there.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I spotted an Indian restaurant on Klang yesterday but can't remember the name of it. I was stuck in traffic so think it's between Buakhao and the Third, on the right side heading up Klang.

Anyone tried it?

I know the one you mean. I perused the menu and it looked interesting, they had some dishes that weren't typical for Pattaya Indian. One offer 400 baht for a somewhat fancy style thali including a lamb curry caught my eye. I have passed a number of times and never seen a customer. I am not always brave with empty restaurants. I suggest trying it sooner than later. coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

It's odd that I can have a great Indian lunch buffet in the USAfor 6 bucks or so at a reasonably nice place.

It's not that odd. Many kinds of food are cheap in the USA but I used to pay more like 8 to 10 dollars for an excellent Indian lunch buffet, at a level that would be 25 dollars in Bangkok. But we're here now, so we must cope. Edited by Jingthing

It's odd that I can have a great Indian lunch buffet in the USAfor 6 bucks or so at a reasonably nice place.

Not odd; it's entirely normal. What is odd is that restaurants in Pattaya seem to imagine (erroneously) that they can charge many times over the odds for standard Indian or Chinese food that would be very cheap just about anywhere else in the world. This is why such places are invariably empty in Pattaya, but when they do get a pigeon in they probably make as much profit out of him as they would from serving 20 people at proper prices.

More fool the pigeon.

• Like 1

One offer 400 baht for a somewhat fancy style thali including a lamb curry caught my eye. I have passed a number of times and never seen a customer.

At those prices, are you surprised?

Well the a la carte prices were pretty normal for Pattaya meaning not cheap. I think in a group you can have a decent value meal there assuming the food is good, which I don't know. The reason their meat thali seems high is obviously the lamb element.

Not odd; it's entirely normal. What is odd is that restaurants in Pattaya seem to imagine (erroneously) that they can charge many times over the odds for standard Indian or Chinese food that would be very cheap just about anywhere else in the world. This is why such places are invariably empty in Pattaya, but when they do get a pigeon in they probably make as much profit out of him as they would from serving 20 people at proper prices.

More fool the pigeon.

Well, there's always the 220 baht Indian buffet at the Beverly Plaza. Worth the money compared to the competition, spicy authentic food, but boring to do very often.

Look, we can whine till the cows come home, the local prices are the local prices. Deal with it or learn to cook.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm off to Mrs. Balbirs in the Asoke Robinson food court. The 100 baht veg thali is the best deal I've found in Thailand.

I was half-way out the door before I realised this is in Bangkok. crying.gif

Even so, it would nearly be cheaper to go there and back on the bus from Pattaya rather than order a Thali locally.

There should be a law about posting in the wrong forum.

• Like 1

Well, there's always the 220 baht Indian buffet at the Beverly Plaza. Worth the money compared to the competition, spicy authentic food, but boring to do very often.

Been there a few times (and to all the others in town). Not bad but not very good either. Also quite overpriced for what they are. Beverly is worth perhaps 150B, especially when compared to Dicey Reilly's at just 300 which is hugely better quality, ingredients, surroundings, service etc.

Look, we can whine till the cows come home, the local prices are the local prices. Deal with it or learn to cook.

I expect that many people have said the same thing about everything else that has ever been wrong in the world, from slavery downwards, but I dont see it that way. If I think something is wrong and should be changed then I just keep saying so.

I never tried indian food but would like to.

Is there anywhere i can order some sort of various buffet to my home ?

Not a buffet really but you can order a choice of vegetarian thalis from Saras and I think they deliver in Pattaya. Thalis are a set meal with different elements.

Been there a few times (and to all the others in town). Not bad but not very good either. Also quite overpriced for what they are. Beverly is worth perhaps 150B, especially when compared to Dicey Reilly's at just 300 which is hugely better quality, ingredients, surroundings, service etc.

It's subjective. Do you see Indians eating at Dicey's? I didn't. At Beverly, almost all Indians. I was so overwhelmed with the absurd over-richness at Diceys that I asked them to at least offer me some nan not dripping in oil. Not an extra order really just the nan they had on the buffet but without the extra 1000 calories. They refused. I hope you can understand how that made me feel about their concern for customer satisfaction. Yes obviously Dicey's style is more luxurious and Beverly is more like peasant style. Makes sense Dicey's only do it once a week because nobody would want to eat that way everyday. Bon Appetit.

(That said, be clear I ain't saying Beverly Plaza is a special experience in any way, more like serviceable in the context of the local market. If we live here, that's all we've got.)

Edited by Jingthing

Do you see Indians eating at Dicey's? I didn't. At Beverly, almost all Indians. I was so overwhelmed with the absurd over-richness at Diceys that I asked them to at least offer me some nan not dripping in oil. Not an extra order really just the nan they had on the buffet but without the extra 1000 calories. They refused. I hope you can understand how that made me feel about their concern for customer satisfaction. Yes obviously Dicey's style is more luxurious and Beverly is more like peasant style. Makes sense Dicey's only do it once a week because nobody would want to eat that way everyday. Bon Appetit.

Indeed. But I dont think that many of the people eating at Beverly actually pay separately for the meal. I think it is included in whatever package they have with the hotel, and I suspect that it doesn't represent anywhere near 220B on their total bill.

Dicey Reilly may not be prepared to do special orders in the buffet, but I doubt that Beverly would either.

If obliged to I would rather eat the Dicey Reilly curry every day than the Beverly one, but I hope that I'm never obliged to do either as both would be very boring more than once or twice a month. I gave up on Beverly (and nearly all the other Indian buffets in town) after 2 or 3 attempts, but I keep going to Diceys once a month or so. I think it's far and away the best available here, and much better value for only 80B more.

Especially if you measure value by CALORIES per gram of food per baht. (You can get plain nan at the Beverly so your presumption is WRONG.) I totally agree the spicing is more sophisticated at Dicey's but when people complain that Indian food is too rich, that's the kind of food they serve at Dicey's; not ALL Indian food is rich that way. Again, subjective. I realize many people love the super rich style. My limited impression of Ali Baba is they also do that very rich style.

It's really OK dude. I get it. You prefer Dicey's, I wouldn't go back. There is room in town for both of us! (NEITHER place even comes close to my concept of really excellent Indian food anyway.)

Edited by Jingthing

After reading on here, I decided to give Dicey's a try at the buffet last night. Overall I would give it a score of 6/10.

I was very hungry so everything tastes better than it might otherwise do. Last night they had Lamb Rogan Josh, some Chicken curry beginning with a C which i had never heard of before and a fish number, as well as a dahl and other assorted dishes.

I went with the Rogan Josh and the Chicken. Both had a nice consistency especially the RJ. The taste was quite nice, but there really was absolutely no spice at all in either of them. It was more like curried flavored stew rather than a proper curry. The garlic naan bread was good, but if they had cooked it a bit more it could have been better. The underside had some crunchy bits, but i prefer a lot more. The poppadoms were a little disappointing just straight out of the packet. The rice was a bit over the top, and would of preferred plain, but even with all the other stuff in it (raisins, cashews etc), it was pretty bland so no issue.

Dishes were kept well stocked, but there were only about 6-7 covers in the hour i was there.

I had the buffet and a coke, friend had fish & chips and an orange juice and total bill came to 743 baht.

One thing that did impress me was the service and the attitude of the staff- very friendly and attentive.

I would go again, but i think only if i was passing through on a Wednesday evening and fancied something quick, but i don't think i would go out of my way for a curry there.

Simple and relatively tasty, but nothing special Overall 6/10 wai.gif

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the Beverly Plaza, and think it is excellent value for money. I really like the food, they do chop and change the veg dishes, but agree more choice would be a bonus.

All in all though I love it, and seem to end up there far too often. If it was more expensive I would still be happy to visit, although probably not as often.

Edited by kevkev1888

I am a big fan of the Beverly Plaza, and think it is excellent value for money. I really like the food, they do chop and change the veg dishes, but agree more choice would be a bonus.

All in all though I love it, and seem to end up there far too often.

Overall, I think it's the best Indian food deal in town but that might tell more about the town than their food. It is authentic and it is nicely spicy, but it isn't really gourmet level.

Last night they had Lamb Rogan Josh, some Chicken curry beginning with a C which i had never heard of before and a fish number, as well as a dahl and other assorted dishes.

I went with the Rogan Josh and the Chicken. Both had a nice consistency especially the RJ. The taste was quite nice, but there really was absolutely no spice at all in either of them. It was more like curried flavored stew rather than a proper curry.

Unfortunately I have to agree that they have indeed lowered the strong spice content since the previous time I went there. This is a big mistake. However they did also reduce the richness of many of the dishes, and that is a good point. The presence of proper Indian pickle and chutney goes some way to making up for the lack of hot spice. The other flavours are very good, even if delicate.

You should have tried the fish fillet curry though as it's quite excellent.

I must be honest that for me the whole point of a buffet is that you try a little of everything and then have some more of the ones you like!

• 1 month later...

Here's the 100 baht veg thali from Mr. Balbir at Bangkok Asoke Robinson. It's cheap and it's really good! Nothing like that in Pattaya?

Here it would probably be 200. Indian food is very overpriced here.

I went to Bangkok for the day last week and had every intention of trying that thali but the place I went to was completely the wrong part of Bangkok and there was no convenient way of getting to Asoke. I was very disappointed.

Yes a thali like that is not for sale in Pattaya for 100 baht as far as I have seen. There may be a few places that have a basic thali for 150. I wouldn't make a special trip for that. I have had Indian restaurant owners tell me many of their sourced Indian ingredients are quite a bit more expensive in Pattaya than Bangkok so they have to pass that cost on. The truth? I don't know.

Edited by Jingthing

I have had Indian restaurant owners tell me many of their sourced Indian ingredients are quite a bit more expensive in Pattaya than Bangkok so they have to pass that cost on. The truth? I don't know.

Makro have a pretty good selection of Indian bits and pieces at prices that dont seem to be high. In fact I got a very large tub of hot pickle there for about 150B which seemed very reasonable indeed.

Given that most of the ingredients in a vegetarian thali will just be standard vegetables and pulses, and given that none of these seem to be unusually expensive here, I dont see any obvious reason why an extra few % on the cost of a teaspoonfull of imported spice could possibly end up doubling the cost of a meal.

So I'm inclined to blame greed or profiteering.