Does Anyone Know About An Avocado Farm In Phuket

stevehaigh

I remember a few years ago, a farang farmer had an avocado farm here on Phuket, and they all died. Root rot I believe it was.

From what I remember, they were 4 or 5 years old at the time and starting to produce.

Good luck if you try it.

I love avocados.

My wife has grown one from seed, its big enough to plant out but we are waiting for a pickup so i can buy a couple of cement rings which will be filled with soil this should keep the tree high enough above the water table and stop the roots being waterlogged

Checking the Internet there is a avocado tree nursery near Tak in Northern Thailand

Hi Steve.

Try some of these links.

http://www.bloominbert.com/Avocado.htm

Also, hydroponics farm on the way to Central on Chao Fa Rd. West, before Rolly Tasker, may give you info. They do sell org. avocados.

Good article we grew 2 from seed and one died sounds like from over watering

Checked lots of plant nurseries for avocado trees but none had them except for one nursery in Nai harn

which had one in a small pot which was broken and the tree had already established its roots in the ground

i have 4 trees growing well in my garden right now, grown from seed, but seed grown trees don't produce fruit i heard, you need to take a graft from a tree that does fruit. also you need at least 2 trees of different types so its quite complicated to get fruit. also, the trees need to be more than 5 years old before they start fruiting.

i've been to an avocado plantation in Tak on the road to chiang mai a few years ago and got some plants there, but i planted them in my old house and left them there when i moved.

i'd like to get a cutting from a fruiting tree, that's why i want to know if there is a farm around here

• Like 1

Seed grown trees are not necessarily a problem. They just may not have a guaranteed type or production. Why not let them grow & see what happens? If you're successful, sounds like you might make a fortune on this forum.

I've grown fruiting avocado trees in Sydney (Australia) from seed. Some of them were prolific. One grew from a stick the kids pushed into the ground.

Check out Phytophthora in Wikipedia. This is the root rot that kills lots of things. Seems like a matter of luck, really.

My (SECRET) guacamole recipee:

1. 2 large avos. I prefer the Hasse variety but take what I can get here in LOS
  2. 1 finely chopped large garlic clove
  3. half red chilli finely chopped leave the seeds in if you like ped mak mak
  4. Handful of finely chopped spring onions
  5. dollop of fresh cream. If this is hard to come by you can also use a few table spoons of Coffeemate. Mix it with a little bottled water to get a paste
  6. Half a teaspoon chicken flavouring powder
  7. 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
  8. Juice from one or two limes (juice from half a lemon is better but harder to come by)

Cut the avos in half, take out the seeds and spoon the flesh into a blender. Put all of the other ingredients (except for the lime juice) in the blender, put the lid on and then pulse until a smooth consistency. Remove from blender and put in the mixing bowl. Use a spoon to slowly fold in the lime juice to achieve your preferred level of zest. The juice adds some zip and it also stops the avos from turing brown.

Serve with toast or your favourite cracker.

TIP: Tesco sell a cracker called ROSY. The plain variety is in a red box in the biscuit section of the store (near the other crackers). It is a copy of the Jatz cracker and pretty tasty with avocado dip on top. Only 25THB for a box which also contain three seperate sealed packs so you can keep fresh the crackers you do not use first time around.

Edited by Phronesis

Seed grown trees are not necessarily a problem. They just may not have a guaranteed type or production. Why not let them grow & see what happens? If you're successful, sounds like you might make a fortune on this forum.

I've grown fruiting avocado trees in Sydney (Australia) from seed. Some of them were prolific. One grew from a stick the kids pushed into the ground.

Check out Phytophthora in Wikipedia. This is the root rot that kills lots of things. Seems like a matter of luck, really.

i've done a bit more research and yes, seed grown trees should fruit eventually but will typically take 5-7 years. the advantage of grafting on a cutting from a mature tree is it tricks the tree into thinking its old (wonder if that works in reverse, and for humans, i could graft a 20 year old on to me. anyhow, i digress). so a grafted tree can fruit in 2-3 years.

and you do need 2 different types of trees close together so they cross pollinate each other.

i have them growing in an area of my garden that i raised up the soil level about a meter with sandy soil and they seem happy there, good drainage.

Edited by stevehaigh

Why wouldn't avocado trees produce fruit from trees grown from seeds thats how they propagated before man interfered

I looked into growing avocado trees in Australia and the reason i was given for using grafted trees was they are shallow rooted and tend to blow over in strong winds so they were grafted onto the root base of a different type of tree with better roots to stop this problem

i just found this link to a place in pak chong on the road to korat

http://www.rdi.ku.ac...at/avocodo.html

they do sell grafted trees. they have the 3 types in the photo, hass, booth and peterson. they should start fruiting in 2-3 years.

the trees are 150b each but you have to order and they have no idea when they will be available. i ordered 15 plants and asked if its possible to get them ready by october because we are driving up north then to visit family. they said they would try, so really no idea if they will be available or not.

anyhow, if anyone is interested, i could add your order to mine and maybe that will speed up the process a bit. the plants are about 60cm tall in 4" pots so it should be easy to get a few in my truck i think. hass is a type A and booth a type B so at the very minimum you would need one of each if you hope to get fruit.

there is nothing to pay until i go to pick them up so if you are interested, let me know and i'll add to the order. pay me when i'm ready to go get them.

Edited by stevehaigh

Why would you need different varieties of avocados for cross pollination if its necessary, surely you would use the same variety otherwise you would end up with a new variety of avocado

Personally i would stick to Haas the seed is not to big and it has more flesh

• 4 weeks later...

post-80541-0-75481600-1348197662_thumb.jpost-80541-0-22779800-1348197680_thumb.jpost-80541-0-86033300-1348197693_thumb.j

I have an avocado tree grown from seed. Got the first fruits some weeks ago. First seedless avocado I've seen, ever. The taste was OK.

cool, how old is the tree? how many trees do you have?

Not sure. 5-6 years? Have 1.

Started a new one. But think will not grow.

Have also 3 young ones. But they are not happy. Dunno Y?

No, I've never heard of avocados growing this far south. They do grow them up in northern Thailand.

If they don't grow this far south, then why can you find them all over Indonesia for dirt cheap prices?

Interesting, they don't seem to grow them around here in Phuket. Lucky you. Are they any good? Or are they watery? I'm rather partial to Haas avocados, being from California.

post-80541-0-75481600-1348197662_thumb.jpost-80541-0-22779800-1348197680_thumb.jpost-80541-0-86033300-1348197693_thumb.j

I have an avocado tree grown from seed. Got the first fruits some weeks ago. First seedless avocado I've seen, ever. The taste was OK.

1 tree and it pollinated! i didn't think that was possible, obviously it must be since i doubt there's any other trees close by

i had one in California for 12 years and never got anything off it

interesting story about Haas, every haas avocado tree in the world is descended diretly from cuttings from one mother tree brought from mexico to the US by a guy called, you guessed it, Haas.

you cannot grow them from seed, the variety produced would be unknown. the ONLY way to get a pure breed Haas or any other avocado type is by grafting from a known tree.

• Like 1

You have the seed the wrong way up the pointy end needs to be in the water

Edited by petercallen

im jealous

I eat about 4 avocado's per week, but i cant get the seed to even grow.

I have tried with my kid about 10 timees now, all that i end up with is a mosquito larvae farm.

I remember doing it all the time as a kid, jar, toothpicks and pit, suspend in water. Internet indicates this is correct, but the seeds wont grow,

suggestions?

Edited by tinfoilhat

You have the seed the wrong way up the pointy end needs to be in the water

You're joking, right?

The root grows first. It comes out from the flat part of the pit.

How many trees have you grown by sticking the head in the water instead of the feet?

But, if you have some pictures, I might try your way.

Avocados will grow in Phuket- I have done it. They do need well drained soil and not easy to produce fruit. I have a super star tree, grown from a seed and fruited after 4 years (no other flowering trees at the time). This past season got 150+ yummy avocados; they are not large and have rough skin similar to Haas. I have two other trees that have flowered, but fruit did not develop to maturity. Have tried to graft from my super star but am 0 for 8 with seven stitches and a doctor bill. I have growing two grafted 4 year old trees that have not yet flowered and seven one year old grafted trees- time will tell. Oh yes- pointed end UP when trying to sprout in water. Can't see how to attach a photo- I use a computer as well as I graft fruit trees. Good Luck!!

Avocados will grow in Phuket- I have done it. They do need well drained soil and not easy to produce fruit. I have a super star tree, grown from a seed and fruited after 4 years (no other flowering trees at the time). This past season got 150+ yummy avocados; they are not large and have rough skin similar to Haas. I have two other trees that have flowered, but fruit did not develop to maturity. Have tried to graft from my super star but am 0 for 8 with seven stitches and a doctor bill. I have growing two grafted 4 year old trees that have not yet flowered and seven one year old grafted trees- time will tell. Oh yes- pointed end UP when trying to sprout in water. Can't see how to attach a photo- I use a computer as well as I graft fruit trees. Good Luck!!

Fair enough mate, i read a article by the gardening bloke in the PG and he said pointy end down so thats what i did and got 2 trees growing.

Checking the Internet it says fat end down

My seeds came from Australia the land down under so maybe thats why they grew