Thailand Is A Developed Country

autan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think income levels here are almost as high as in the west for most people despite what the numbers say.

Well I hardly think so where the daily minimum wage could just about buy a medium pizza from Pizza Company/.

Irrelevant since all of Scotland is developed.

I fully agree. Any country that has the foresight and sheer ingenuity to take a humble black pudding and then batter and deep fry it has reached the pinnacle of development. There's simply nowhere left to go.

Don't forget the deepfried haggis, ice cream and Mars bars.

• Like 1

Bangkok has the infrastructure of a developed country because that is where the money is. As for wages, for sure certainly some Thais earn good money but they tend to be well qualified professional types and savvy business people, and there are far far more poorly educated, unskilled low wage earners than there are of those. Thailand as a whole isn`t fully developed but they`re working on it.

Developed nation status may come sooner than we think but I'm sure that a lot of us won't like the idea of a bigger Thai middle class competing for and driving up the prices of the same goods, services and privileges we enjoy comfortably by virtue of a currently significantly higher income.

The OP should consider himself lucky he is in the relative security of his hotel room (we wont even bother getting into safety standards) as opposed to the take your life in your hands that exists on the capitals highways.

As long as stuck up HiSo spoiled brats can plough their Mercs into innocent bystanders at a bus stop and not even spend a night in the cells, as long as Little Miss HiSo can cause multiple deaths at Rangsit whilst driving her Honda Civic and as yet not be prosecuted, as long as spoiled brats can cause carnage whilst driving their red Mini Cooper, this country can never be considered developed.

Whats the latest on the Mor Muk case?

Did the thug who executed someone in a Bkk nightclub ever stand trial or do time, no witnesses, every one of them too terrified to come forward.

Hows the New Years nightclub fire case progressing?

• Like 2

You're right. I'm tired of hearing that Thailand is poor or undeveloped. I think income levels here are almost as high as in the west for most people despite what the numbers say. I see nice cars driving everywhere and nobody seems to be "broke".

Even a country like Cambodia has lots of monied people around. I'm not sure there is or ever was such a thing as "poor" country.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion that income in Thailand is comparable to Western nations. There are of course concentrations of high income earners, but the average Thai certainly does not qualify. The minimum wage across all provinces in Thailand is soon to be 300 baht a day, even this increase is being resisted by many employers. University graduates will be receiving 15,000 baht a month. Average monthly Income per household in 2011 was 23,544 baht; source http://web.nso.go.th/

And given that each household could have 4-5 workers (large families living together), it doesn't work out to much...

• Like 1

You're right. I'm tired of hearing that Thailand is poor or undeveloped. I think income levels here are almost as high as in the west for most people despite what the numbers say. I see nice cars driving everywhere and nobody seems to be "broke".

Even a country like Cambodia has lots of monied people around. I'm not sure there is or ever was such a thing as "poor" country.

Cough, cough....bullshit....

Nope.....not going with that argument. You could put up a case for BKK being developed but BKK does not represent all Thailand.

Does Glasgow represent all Scotland?tongue.png

Irrelevant since all of Scotland is developed. I do recommend a nosegay should you visit Glasgow however, there is a gypsy outside Queen St station selling them for a tanner.

Sorry I forgot. Scotland major production Scotch Whiskey.cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Irrelevant since all of Scotland is developed.

I fully agree. Any country that has the foresight and sheer ingenuity to take a humble black pudding and then batter and deep fry it has reached the pinnacle of development. There's simply nowhere left to go.

Could chocolate coat it.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion that income in Thailand is comparable to Western nations. There are of course concentrations of high income earners, but the average Thai certainly does not qualify. The minimum wage across all provinces in Thailand is soon to be 300 baht a day, even this increase is being resisted by many employers. University graduates will be receiving 15,000 baht a month. Average monthly Income per household in 2011 was 23,544 baht; source http://web.nso.go.th/

The wage in Thailand is low but still livable.

I know a few college grads in the US making under 20k per year. Try living on that in LA, NY or Chicago.

Why do people refer to the wages with out mentioning the cost of living.

There are places in Thailand where the cost of living for 6 months is what many foreigners make in a week.

The average family has a debt not sure what it is. But in the states they have a debt of over $50,000 per person in their government then you get into their personal credit limit and see people going bankrupt on a regular basis. Not to mention the home less and living conditions on many native reserves. Is that what it takes to be a developed country. And the number of people living on the streets for lack of money. Not because of drinking or drug addiction just because the cost of living is to high and they do not have any family values to hold the family's together.

And the personal safety factor. Are you as safe on the streets in the states as you are on the streets in Thailand?

Maybe Thailand is not developed but it sure has some bright points that many in the so called developed nations only dream about.

There is much room in Thailand for improvement but in many cases socially they are way ahead of the Developed Nations.

Edited by hellodolly

http://dictionary.re...veloping nation

developing nation

Cultural Dictionary

developing nation definition

A nation where the average income is much lower than inindustrial nations,

where the economy relies on a few exportcrops,

and where farming is conducted by primitive methods. In many developing nations, rapid population growth threatens thesupply of food. Developing nations have also been called underdeveloped nations. Most of them are in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. ( See also Third World.)

Edited by PaullyW

http://en.wikipedia....veloped_country

Developed Country

A developed country or "more developed country" (MDC), is a sovereign state which has a highly developed economy and advanced technological infrastructure relative to other less developed nations. Most commonly the criteria for evaluating the degree of economic development is gross domestic product (GDP), the per capita income, level of industrialization, amount of widespread infrastructure and general standard of living.[1] Which criteria is to be used and which countries are classified as being developed is a contentious issue.

Developed countries have post-industrial economies, meaning the service sector provides more wealth than theindustrial sector. They are contrasted with developing countries, which are in the process of industrialization, or undeveloped countries, which are pre-industrial and almost entirely agrarian. According to the International Monetary Fund, advanced economies comprise 65.8% of global nominal GDP and 52.1% of global GDP (PPP) in 2010.[2] In 2011, The ten largest advanced economies by either nominal GDP or GDP (PPP) are the United States,Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Spain, South Korea, and Australia.[3][4]

Edited by PaullyW

So, no, Thailand (nor even Bangkok) is developed.

Stop kidding yourselves, guys.

We haven't even started discussing the complete absence of the rule of law (a fundamental requirement for a country to be really considered among the "developed" nations). Nor have we discussed how cheaply life is treated here. Nor have we discussed attitudes toward all manner of corruption.

• Like 1

Time to "develop" some new nomenclature based on some more meaningful attributes. If any country needs to be in a "developing country" category it is the US. And I hold all the others supposed developed countries in equally high regard. To call a country developed is an easy way to overlook all the ways that it is glaringly not developed. Every country should be a developing country or should simply be called stagnant or in even worse situations a failing state.

I do believe to be called a developed country it starts with having a functional government and since when has Thailand had that?

And this is the false illusion that spending too much time in Bangkok gives one.Try seeing the Poor villages,and villagers especially in Isaan,and many other Provinces a completely new perspective emerges.

Bangkok is where the money is,because it's had a lot poured into the infrastructure,(the villages don't have broken pavements,because there are none),over many decades

Edited by MAJIC

Time to "develop" some new nomenclature based on some more meaningful attributes. If any country needs to be in a "developing country" category it is the US. And I hold all the others supposed developed countries in equally high regard. To call a country developed is an easy way to overlook all the ways that it is glaringly not developed. Every country should be a developing country or should simply be called stagnant or in even worse situations a failing state.

I do believe to be called a developed country it starts with having a functional government and since when has Thailand had that?

That doesn't wash, just look at the US. They haven't had a functioning government in 12 years and still muddle along. For how much longer I don't know, but it was fun while it lasted.

That doesn't wash, just look at the US. They haven't had a functioning government in 12 years and still muddle along. For how much longer I don't know, but it was fun while it lasted.

That's a far reach... The tax dollar may not always go where we want it to go but some of it do get out. Can you say the same when it comes to the Thai government?

I do believe that the US military do protect the government and do not incite anarchy on the streets... as far as I remember.

• Like 1