I haven't had much of a problem with snails and slugs in Thailand.

You can try some half coconut shells placed upside down around the plants with an edge lifted to allow access. Snails and slugs often look for a good place to hide during the day and you may find that they congregate in the coconut shells, making them easy to dispose of.

Not sure about snails, but i have found out (accidently) that slugs like to hide in them.

• 1 month later...

Ugh! The snails are a problem for me too, there are so many, and SO big!

I'm container gardening, so I've done my best to keep all of my pots off the ground. I use eggshells, or sharp gravel to protect my seedlings (it doesn't always work!) and physical removal. I chuck them over a big back wall (tried killing them, but just couldn't do it. squeemish. LOL)

There are pellets you can buy, though they're not organic and dangerous to cats I'm told...

Organic option involves putting out saucers of beer or sweet stuff to attract them, and then they hopefully drown.

• 3 weeks later...

The snails I have come across are fairly harmless. It is the slugs you should be concerned with.

My chickens have developed the taste for slugs and snails. Toads are also natural predators to the slimy critters (have a few of them hopping around the garden as well).

The snails I have come across are fairly harmless. It is the slugs you should be concerned with.

My chickens have developed the taste for slugs and snails. Toads are also natural predators to the slimy critters (have a few of them hopping around the garden as well).

hmm mm..snails, along with bloody grass hoppers,flying insects,caterpillars etc etc eat everything don't they.....

...my dad used to use solid fuel tablets ( Metatabs?) under a flower pot. Read someplace that beer attracts and dehydrates them...have loads of frogs/ toads here but still have snails....like many things here in Thailand it is suck it and see...me I have given up to some degree and share with the bugs......wish they would not eat the orchid buds though....

....right now plagued with tiny ticks on walls in door frames etc.just using a broom and feed 'em to the fish............once more unto the breach...lol

• 6 months later...

hmm mm..snails, along with bloody grass hoppers,flying insects,caterpillars etc etc eat everything don't they.....

...my dad used to use solid fuel tablets ( Metatabs?) under a flower pot. Read someplace that beer attracts and dehydrates them...have loads of frogs/ toads here but still have snails....like many things here in Thailand it is suck it and see...me I have given up to some degree and share with the bugs......wish they would not eat the orchid buds though....

....right now plagued with tiny ticks on walls in door frames etc.just using a broom and feed 'em to the fish............once more unto the breach...lol

Of course toads and frogs will not eat all of them! If they did, they would not have any for later! :D I have found the giant slugs come out near the cement drains at night, I crush them with a rock if I see them. Just keep an eye out for them near seedlings. For grass hoppers, you need to make more habitats for lizards and spiders. This is pretty easy to do: stack small rocks in a pile against a wall or somewhere where it is not in the way. The lizards will hide there when it is too hot. I find the Skinks need cool places to hide more than the bigger Iguanidae/Agamidae do. Piles of small twigs might help attract the Iguanas, but I found they only stay if there is food for them to eat. So outdoor compost piles, and manure piles will attract the beneficial lizards. My concept is to feed them, and they will help feed you by eating the pest.

• Like 1